What If You Had a Choice to Press a Button?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by JabbingJab, Apr 22, 2015.

1. JabbingJab
      Supportive

JabbingJab Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      If you press it, all your T-related issues will disappear. You will eliminate all sensory problems you may have or will have in the future. But the only drawback is that pressing the button means somewhere in the planet Earth someone dies.

Would you press it?

Another situation to think about is: what if the person who dies will be randomly selected from people who are already on death row?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. Chelles
      Balanced

Chelles Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      @JabbingJab what a wonderful thread thanks for posting...my answer is no I couldn't live with myself knowing because of my actions someone died.

3. marqualler
      Nerdy

marqualler Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection / Mild Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      My answer is also no. Great question!

4. marqualler
      Nerdy

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Also I am personally anti-Death Penalty. So my answer would still be no.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      That's like the hardest question ever...I'd say yes, if it's a horrible person haha.

6. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      What would've have done with hitler?

7. marqualler
      Nerdy

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well, I'm anti Death Penalty, soo... (Recognizing this is not a political forum but it would be something I can talk about more via PM!)

8. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress

Reminds me of the movie "The Box"--with Cameron Diaz. The premise was that a mysterious man (Frank Langella) brought a wooden box to a couple (Diaz and James Marsden) containing a button and if they pressed it they would get a million dollars but someone they didn't know would die. The consequences were dire.

I wouldn't push the button...even if the person who died was on death row.

9. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Fair-play to you! Well, I do believe in reform so I suppose that's a good way of thinking.

• Like Like x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JabbingJab
      Supportive

JabbingJab Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      @Kathi Yeah the idea was taken and altered from that movie

11. Albert Savage

Albert Savage Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1972
      That is a take on an actual experiment performed by the Nazis during WW II. In that experiment, a pair of subjects ( I remember reading of parent and child and then siblings be used) were seated at a table with a window separating them and each of them was strapped into a chair with electrodes attached. An electrical current was applied to one of the subjects and when that subject could no longer stand the shock they would hit a button. When they did this the voltage was increased and the next subject was subjected to the higher voltage. This was continued until the voltage was increased to a deadly level. It was done to see who would sacrifice a loved one to end the torment.

Pretty horrific, what the mind of man can come up with to inflict pain on his fellow man.

12. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      On really bad T days, I'm glad that button is not in front me. Unless, I'm one who's gonna die!

13. Valentina
      No Mood

Valentina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      o_O

No!

14. RichL
      Inspired

RichL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      People are dying in the world at a rate of nearly 2 per second, would it really matter if one more died so it meant you had a T free life?

Think about this.

Is anyone sure that any of your actions all through your life so far, have not directly or indirectly been responsible or lead,(in like a chained event), to someone being seriously hurt, or even dying?
      All because of the action that you took without thinking about it or that may have seemed innocent enough at the time.
      I suppose knowing that you have caused a death is a little different than this scenario!

My answer is no, I wouldn't no matter who was going to die, although a murdering pedophile might make me think about it!

Good question and definitely food for thought!

• Like Like x 1
    15. Vincent R
      Caffeine

Vincent R Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Well, I wouldn't excactly PRESS the button, but what if I stumble on it? Or what if I have my cats food just in front of it, and the cat happends to nudge it? Can't blame a cat, can you?

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    16. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Wow ,is that the most thought provoking q on any Forum??

id like a look at someones CV and if they loved being cruel to animals id hit the button with two fingers ,hard,

what a result a double whammy

17. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      I recall being asked something similar by my English teacher (as part of a class conversation) way back in my high school days some 20 years ago now. I don't remember the exact context, but I believe it was something about "killing an old, old, man in the Amazon rain forest in return for eliminating one of the incurable diseases of modern medicine." He, my English teacher, probably felt he was asking an intellectual question that somehow 'should enhance our thought processes'. Well... to be perfectly honest, I did not consider my English teacher's question to be especially intellectual. Not then, not now. [Sorry, Mr. Melnick!]. Nor do I consider these questions to have much relevance (of any kind). We see these types of questions pop-up on the forum from time-to-time - here's another thread that specifically irritates me:

www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/would-you-trade-your-tinnitus-for.7202

Source of irritation? Mind-games have little practical value and the above thread potentially makes a mockery out of other people's misery (have a read, and you will understand).

The folks of the intellectual elite should consider using their powers of observation in relation to something useful. Something such as... science and medicine! Let's see how far they get with that when the 'real work' calls!

Agreed. Animal cruelty is particularly distasteful. Here's a textbook example:

This Is What Happens When You Kick An Innocent...

(The incident starts at 0:17).

18. RichL
      Inspired

RichL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I really hope that would go for children as well.

19. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

cullenbohannon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      I wouldn't lose any sleep if i was responsible for the death of someone truly evil.

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Many years ago - back in the mid 1980s - when I was on a trauma surgery rotation, I was called to the Emergency Room to evaluate and treat a man who had been shot in the lung and in the liver in a shootout with a policeman who was chasing him because he had been caught in the act of committing a burglary, having murdered a defenseless married couple and their young child in the process of committing that crime.

Talk about truly evil. This man was the dictionary definition of truly evil.

So I took this truly evil man to the operating room, repaired his liver and lung injuries, and saved his life. Why? Because that's what you do when you have the opportunity (and privilege) to be in a position to save the life of another human being. Who am I to judge? Any life that you can possibly save is a life worth saving. In my opinion, anyway.

And hence, speaking for myself, I would never under any circumstances press the button referred to in the initial post in this thread. But I agree that it is a very interesting question indeed.

• Like Like x 2
    21. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      @Dr. Nagler I appreciate you sharing that story, I think it shows your character. If I were a surgeon maybe I would have a different moral outlook.

22. Sleaford Mod

Sleaford Mod Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2005
      attheedgeofscience, this is my first post here. I'm restricting myself to General Chat until I get the hang of things.

Your old English teacher was asking you what was essentially a moral question. To me it sounds a bit similar to a famous criticism of utilitarian morality. Google 'Bernard Williams' and 'Jim and the Indians' and you should find the details.

Given that science and medicine deal with testable hypotheses, I'm left wondering how morality might be explored in this manner. So I would be interested in how we might set about identifying moral facts.

For example, let's imagine that a scientist has invented a good/bad detector. The device looks a bit like a remote control for a TV. Then she heads to LA and discovers teen idol Justin Bieber in the process of angrily attacking a paparazzi (whilst dressed in a red romper suit). She points the good/bad detector at Justin.

Do you think this invention will work? If so, what is it going to detect in the behaviour of Justin?

23. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Not that you asked me but like you said science deals with things that can be tested. Morality seems like such an abstract idea.

Also who decides what's moral. From this thread it's obvious that something I wouldnt consider immoral others would.

Also in the Bieber analogy whose to say the way he is reacting is immoral as paparazzi are known to say some awful things to get a reaction.

24. Lara K

Lara K Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Well, I don't know. Who knows who the next person on the button list would be? Ok, I know you said it was someone on death row, but it reminds me of a Twilight Zone episode. Gotta watch that karma.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Button,_Button_(The_Twilight_Zone)

Arthur and Norma Lewis are slowly descending into abject poverty. One day, they receive a mysterious locked box with a button on it and a note that says Mr. Steward will come visit. Then, just as the note says, a smartly dressed stranger who introduces himself as Steward comes to their door when Arthur is out. He gives Norma the key to the box and explains that, if they press the button, two things will happen: they will receive $200,000 and someone "whom [they] don't know" will die.

They open the box and discover no mechanism inside it—it is simply an empty box with a button on it. The next day, Arthur leaves for work and sees Norma sitting at the kitchen table, her gaze transfixed on the button. At the end of the day, he returns from work and it appears that nothing has changed; Norma is still sitting and concentrating only on the button. The day goes by. Norma and Arthur keep talking about the box, when suddenly Norma decides to push the button.

The next day Mr. Steward returns, takes back the box, and gives them a briefcase with the $200,000. The Lewises are in shock and ask what will happen next. Steward ominously replies that the button will be "reprogrammed" and offered to someone else with the same terms and conditions, adding as he focuses on Norma:

"I can assure you it will be offered to someone whom you don't know."

A horrified, knowing expression crosses Norma's face as she realizes the true nature of those chosen to die...the previous owner who pushed the button.

• Like Like x 1