When I Hum It Makes My Ear Ring

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by AMAC, Jan 5, 2020.

1. AMAC

AMAC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Work
      Hey everyone. I have had an interesting thing start to happen. I have had tinnitus for about 6 years but nothing that really ever bothered me. I am an audio engineer but have protected my ears very well since then. Last month I had a very stressful, very exhausting 3 weeks that required me to mix 2 full projects and record and vocal produce everyday for a lot of hours. Even during this time I am very aware if my sound levels and carry around molded ear plugs but that doesn't mean it doesn't get loud from time to time.

When i first realized something had changed I was holing my ear closed and walking. I realized every time I took a step I hear a ringing, ping kind of sound. Then later at the studio I realized the bass was triggering a ring in my ear even though I was in another room. Sometimes just when people were talking to me the ring would happen. If I cover my ear and hum I can hear it and it reacts to the vibrations. Meaning if I make a pattern with my hum the ring follows and it gets amplified the louder the sound is even with ear plugs in. I can hear it with or without ear plugs. Sometimes just a car going by outside will make it go off but as soon as there is no external sound or I stop humming it stops. The ringing sounds like what they do in movies when a bomb explodes.

I got fortunate and got into see and ENT. My hearing is fine and he told me he thought I had Hyperacusis but I'm not really hyper sensitive to sounds I don't feel like. He also just told me he thinks it will just go away one day in the future. Obviously anyone that says that as an ENT is unreliable. Ive been out in public many times and at peoples houses for sporting events and I don't feel extra sensitive to everything. It happening when people talk has seemed to go away but again I don't feel like I am afraid to go places because of this.

When I was flying back home the air plane i was on was making it go crazy from the louder vibrations.

This is an issue for my work but I will find a way through. I never thought about a tinnitus that you couldn't even mask with sound. I have found no other experiences like mine so I am hoping someone out there in this community may have been through the same thing.

I will also mention that during this time I got an earlobe cyst in the same ear. IDK if this would have anything to do with it but felt it worth mentioning.

I will be going to see another doctor in the near future but anything you can share with me is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!!

2. Moakley

Moakley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sound
      Hey I am currently experiencing something very similar! I have no idea what caused mine other than stress. So maybe after we unwind it will go away?