Which Anti-Depressant Can I Try? What Is Safe to Take with Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Allan1967, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Allan1967

Allan1967 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Today I rang my GP to ask about changing anti-depressants to something that doesn't list 'ringing in the ears' as a side effect.

I've been on a low dose of Venlafaxine and whilst I don't think it's made my tinnitus worse, I just want to see what else is available.

Only other choice is Mirtazapine, which blew my socks off and made me feel stupid, when I took it a while back. Prolonged, it also made me aggressive and 'mean'.

Does anyone know of any other anti depressants that doesn't list 'ringing in the ears' as a potential side effect?

Later today I'm going to my favourite spot, I'm going to sit down and write a suicide note to my son and daughter. Not that I plan to do it, I want to see whether I can justify leaving them.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. TuxedoCat
      No Mood

TuxedoCat Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High-frequency hearing loss
      I take Amitriptyline and find that I don't feel stupid and drugged. Lexapro, Sertraline and Mirtazapine didn't work for me for that reason. Doc told me that Amitriptyline is also used for diabetic nerve pain because it slows nerve transmission. He thought it may help soften tinnitus. I find I sleep better, but its also increased my appetite.

These are listed on ATA's website. They may all have ringing in the ears as a rare side effect, you'll have to look that up.

Common antidepressant drugs used in relation to tinnitus include:

• Clomipramine (Anafranil)
      • Desipramine (Norpramin)
      • Imipramine (Tofranil)
      • Nortriptyline (Pamelor)
      • Protriptyline (Vivactil)
      Try visiting the Doctor's corner on this site as well.

TC

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Thanks...I tried Amitriptyline once and woke up the following day with racing suicidal thoughts. Had to rush to the GP.

4. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      Have you tried CBT? If you are having suicidal thoughts I highly suggest you start talking with a therapist. CBT is very effective and can give you tools to help you cope better. Please look into this for your children's sake.

Also please remember that Mutebutton and stimulation devices similar to it are on the way. Mutebutton is less than a year out from being released. Please don't make a permanent decision for something that could be temporary once this treatment is released.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 1
    5. TuxedoCat
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Allan, This is good advice. The combo of antidepressant and CBT is better than either one alone. In the US, psychiatrists usually only do medication management and rarely do any sort of talk therapy, but in my experience they were the first to acknowledge how awful tinnitus is and how it can affect someone. That went a long way in my case. I like my GP but she had limited experience with tinnitus and if I ever see another ENT the rest of my life, it will be too soon. So its important that you and your CBT therapist are on the same wavelength. If not, change therapists. -TC

• Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      What's MuteButton? @Jack Straw

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I'm having a phone conversation with Talking Therapies on Monday. Hopefully after that it will lead to counselling.

Way I feel at the moment however it's not nice. Just back from the beach....dark, very windy, stood on a cliff top looking at rough seas below. It wouldn't take long. Sea was so strong and cold I'd never make it.

8. TuxedoCat
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      How old are your children?

9. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
    10. TuxedoCat
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Allan, Also, keep in mind that the tinnitus community needs activists. You saw what happened with the ATA last week and your contribution of time and effort was meaningful.

You've had the message straight from the get-go. We need to keep working at this, if not for ourselves then for future generations.

So please add "tinnitus community" to your list of people who need you. -TC

• Like Like x 1
    11. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      Going to be real with you, there is no antidepressant that doesn't have tinnitus as a potential side effect.

• Like Like x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Allan1967

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      12 and 14 @TuxedoCat