Why Do Some People Hate Bill Bauer?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Localboy, Feb 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    1. Localboy

Localboy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss from concerts, hunting, tools, and accident
      @Bill Bauer speaks the truth... our ears are compromised, we can no longer withstand the abuse of loud noise.

Why do some people want to make belief that is not true and constantly argue with Bill?

PLEASE MAKE SENSE TO ME?

• Agree Agree x 6
      • Like Like x 2
      • Good Question Good Question x 2
      • Genius Genius x 1
    2. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Balls.jpg

• Like Like x 7
      • Funny Funny x 5
      • Agree Agree x 4
      • Genius Genius x 1
    3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      LOL

I am convinced that a considerable fraction of T sufferers will benefit if they avoid moderate noises. This has been my experience, and I know many here who also got better after adopting this policy.

It is possible/likely that some people had such a severe trauma that their T will never fade (no matter what they do or don't do), and at the same time they could get exposed to pretty loud noise and not get a spike (although there is a risk that in the long run they Will get the spike they spent so much time "earning").

Without Hard evidence, it must be tempting to dismiss someone who says that you need to give up something that you enjoy. I confess that I have never been to concerts and I had always hated loud bars/restaurants, so it is easy for me to follow my own advice, whereas it is probably a lot harder to do for most other people.

In any case, if you don't find my posts to be useful, please place me on your Ignore list.

• Like Like x 7
      • Winner Winner x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      I guess his different approach threatens their beliefs which they been brainwashed into thinking by so called medical or audiological experts. Most actually don’t know much and speculation is rife as are contradictions.

@Bill Bauer does speak the truth. It’s better to err on the side of caution than be f’ed up possibly permanently following incorrect advice.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 4
    5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      At least early on (first year or two).
      I think they had been brainwashed to think that you could "be yourself"(=do whatever you feel like doing) and still achieve all of your goals. I believe that you can't achieve much unless you are willing to sacrifice a lot to get what you want.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    6. foliefortuna
      Sweet tooth

foliefortuna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ Disorder
      Because avoiding loud noises means you have to make some lifestyle changes and people are very reluctant to change their lifestyles.

• Like Like x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
    7. AZeurotuner

AZeurotuner Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I'm personally in the middle... I don't think we should live in fear and abstain 100 percent from loud noise, but at the same time I believe we must still be vigilant and protect from certain noises that an individual with healthy ears wouldn't have to. As with most things in life there is a middle ground, everything is not black and white, we must remain objective and form our own conclusions.

• Agree Agree x 9
      • Like Like x 1
    8. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      The middle ground is optimal for the majority of decisions that we have to make during our lives. However, some outcomes are So bad or so good that it is rational to go all in. When the risk of death or becoming a burn victim exceeds say 1%, I am sure that most people would not want to choose the middle ground when it comes to eliminating that risk. To me, T is a horrific outcome, and so I believe that we are to pull out all stops when it comes to doing something about our T (or when it comes to try to avoid T getting louder).

• Like Like x 1
    9. AZeurotuner

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      If "we are to pull out all the stops" means living in social isolation then I'd rather risk having my T get worse again. The advice you give is helpful for new T sufferers who have a chance at recovery, but absolutely toxic for chronic ones. You will probably try to argue that the potential increase in T is not worth the pain and suffering. But what about the stress, anxiety, and depression of living the rest of your life afraid of sound, alone, sitting around your house wishing you had a life? I'd rather take a risk than waste my life away just to avoid an increase, and increase that why probably come regardless due to increased stress levels.

• Agree Agree x 5
    10. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Bill,

what do you do for fun? What kind of daily/weekly activities do you do? I'm very curious to know :)

• Like Like x 3
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    11. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Not all of us are extroverts.

I am glad that your T is such that you wouldn't gladly do the above just for a 0.1% chance of it getting quieter.

• Agree Agree x 2
    12. AZeurotuner

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I've had tinnitus for years Bill, it's not just going to go away, I'm not gonna delude myself into thinking such a thing is actually possible. If you still have tinnitus after a year or so you need to accept that fact that it's here to stay, and make the steps necessary to reintegrate yourself with society. Holding out hope based on few stories you read of people who's chronic tinnitus magically went away isn't healthy, and will only lead to major disappointment and regret down the line. I know you said before that you're perfectly happy living alone, and feel sorry for us bunch of fools that require human companionship, as well saying a significant other is no better than a bathroom attendant. Well sorry for being so human Bill, sorry for having emotions, in the future we'll strive to be as robotic as you.... TinnitusBot5200, ready for social isolation and internet fear mongering!

• Like Like x 5
      • Agree Agree x 3
      • Funny Funny x 2
    13. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Yes, sadly, if you are not willing to change your lifestyle, the above is most likely true.
      The above is true if after a year your T is as loud as it was during the first 1-3 months.
      The exact quote was that I feel sorry for people who need to do something (find a companion) to be happy, as opposed to people whose default state is being happy.
      That would be "a significant other is as useful as a bathroom attendant" - both are a strange social construct - both take care of things that you could easily do yourself for yourself.
      I have strong emotions all of the time too. I agree - emotions are the cause of a lot of human suffering. It makes sense to try to not let our emotions control our lives.
      That one really hurt! :inpain:

Nah, it is all good.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
      • Like Like x 4
    14. AZeurotuner

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I've had tinnitus for 8 years, it's not going away my friend. I don't know why you continue to cling on to the astronomically small chance of T just dissappearing. Let me ask you this though; how long do you plan on waiting for you T to vanish? One year? Five years? The rest of your life? I can almost see you, 90 years old and on your death bed, asking the nurse to be careful with the noise because you're, "still in the healing phase".

• Funny Funny x 6
      • Like Like x 1
    15. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      There are two parts to it - it improving and it getting worse. If one starts believing that it won't get better, it makes sense to begin focusing on it not getting worse.
      I am sure the last thing one wants to be experiencing during one's last year on Earth or on one's death bed is a bad spike (that in that case will last until the end of one's life). So you bet I (or my lawyer) will be bribing the nurses to ensure that it is quiet in my room.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    16. Samantha R

Samantha R Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It is my humble and personal opinion that there needs to be a balance between protecting your ears and living your life.
      I do not put myself in situations where I know it will be loud beforehand, and I carry ear plugs with me in case I find that I might need to use them.
      So maybe somewhere in the middle is the best idea. We've still got lives to lead.
      I'd say most people's ears are compromised in some way even if they don't have tinnitus - who knows when that tipping point might be for them.

• Agree Agree x 9
      • Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    17. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      That has been my policy too - avoid noise whenever you can + be prepared to deal with noise even when you don't expect it to be noisy. Are you under the impression that I have been advocating for something more drastic?

18. AZeurotuner

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      You have deluded yourself past the point of anybody being able to talk any sense into you, and that's fine... But the fact that spend so much time attempting to push your flawed agenda and chastising other members for doing things as harmless as attending a dance recital (with earplugs mind you) is rather concerning.

Interesting observation I've made; it seems like many of the members that follow the patented "Bill Burr method", are the same ones that are constantly upset, complaining that they feel lonely and isolated, and threatening suicide.

That's the life that you advocate Bill, of course it's entirely your prerogative to live that way, but pushing that lifestyle on desperate and vulnerable individuals isn't right. Especially considering that the "hall of fame" plaque next to your name gives people the impression that you're here to guide them in the proper direction.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Genius Genius x 2
    19. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Beautifully said @Samantha R if I may say so. I hope the author of this thread reads your post as he's lost the plot completely.

With such an opening statement he will never habituate to tinnitus. This condition can be debilitating when it is severe but fortunately, this is not the case for a lot of people that visit this forum regularly. If it was, I assure him they wouldn't be able to come here and write posts. Any person seasoned to tinnitus or is a veteran knows this. Tinnitus does not have to be a life long illness that prevents a person doing what they want to unless they make it so. No person should subject themselves to overly loud sound levels. I see no reason why a person with tinnitus, cannot go out and enjoy themselves at a place where music is played, providing certain precautions are taken and most of us know what they are. It is negative thinking and bad counselling to others; particularly those new to this condition, that can be so detrimental to a person's mental wellbeing and ultimate recovery from tinnitus and hyperacusis. Life is for living not to be locked into a prison of solitude, discontent and misery which is what his statement conveys.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 2
    20. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      @Localboy
      Having a different opinion would mean to hate someone? Are you 6 years old?

Or is it that you can't stand when people don't follow to your guru who "speaks the truth"? :p Personally I prefer to believe in facts, in things backed by scientific evidence. If you can prove me that our ears are compromised I will join your truth sect.

• Agree Agree x 3
    21. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      You may have noticed that I don't discuss my condition. If you read more carefully, you will see me saying things like "this policy HAS worked for me and for the others".
      There is no agenda. I am just sharing my own experiences regarding what had worked, as well as the experiences that I read about on this forum (positive experiences of people who take care of their ears, and negative horror stories of people who learn the hard way about the costs of being reckless).
      Would you say that the music at a mall is harmless? If the answer is Yes, then would you like me to give you a link to what happened to Lex as a result of being exposed to music at a mall for 30 seconds? Does this mean that you need to update what you consider to be harmless?
      My interesting observation is that the "brave people" are the ones whose T doesn't fade.
      You are pushing a lifestyle that ensures that T stays, onto people who are yearning for it to fade.
      The "Hall of Fame" plaque is not given on the basis of the sheer volume of posts, it is given on the basis of the number of positive ratings (e.g., the number of useful/informative ratings).

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    22. AZeurotuner

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Does the above post carry any disclosures?... Sure doesn't. What it does carry is a whole lot of fear mongering... Here you are attempting to bully this poor kid into living your lifestyle by threatening a permanent spike, all wrapped into a very poorly veiled attempt at reverse psychology. Although I'm sure you'll find an excuse that somehow rationalizes this as well, in fact I'm sure of it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    23. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Six months later, her spike was still not completely over:
      At one point during the summer, we were getting at least one horror story like that every day. At other times it is at least one every week. In any case, now that you are aware of those experiences, I had achieved my goal.

Oh, I just saw a post by another user who is "one of our people". There are a number of interesting posts there.
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...y-—-could-this-be-a-cure-for-some-of-us.23091

One interesting post is:
      Above, he is talking about
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...nking-of-blindfolding-myself-for-a-week.22082

• Like Like x 2
    24. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      You need to be a Donor in order to have a signature below your posts where you can provide disclosures. I am sorry, I am not going to paste a paragraph of text below each of my messages. I made those disclosures dozens of times.

Not really. What you are quoting is directed at other users. If someone is aware of the danger and chooses to take the risk, I confess that I no longer feel sorry if they learn the hard way that they had made a mistake.
      Did I live up to your expectations?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    25. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      Thank God, scientists don't draw conclusions on one case.
      Sorry, it's not the kind of message that will convince me.

I don't say that you're wrong though, I just meant that you don't necessarily "speak the truth". Personally I am simply in doubt on this question.

26. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      In addition to my explanation above, I also really meant what I said. I think he Would be better off if his T were to spike and provide him with a permanent reminder that it is unwise to act recklessly. I believe the alternative is for him to abuse ears for a long time and THEN get a LOUDER permanent spike. The way I see it, the choice is between a small permanent spike now vs a louder permanent spike a year from now. So yes, he would be better off with a quieter spike, even if he has to endure it a little longer.

27. AZeurotuner

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Definitely, yet another excuse which holds no water... And by the way, that disclosure that you've made "dozens of times", reads more like a mission statement, it in no way implies that one should proceed with caution or carries any warning, it's just another part of your agenda Bill. Preying on those new to tinnitus, those who are venerable, weak, and highly impressionable, is somewhat of a pastime for you.

You comment on almost everything, and often times it's the same fallacy, this flawed belief that if one isolates him or herself from enough noise, that their tinnitus will magically reduce, eventually disappearing. I guess the scientists and doctors currently working on tinnitus cures should just hang up their hats, Bill Bauer can restore auditory damage with the old "silent treatment".

• Agree Agree x 1
    28. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I could produce 50 cases like that (it might have to wait until the summer when I have more time to "collect the data"). Specifically, I bet you Won't be able to produce links to one Tenth of the number of cases that I can produce. I am saying that I would be focusing on T sufferers, and you would be focusing on the cases where a healthy person got serious medical problems from one of those harmless-sounding noises (e.g., neighbour's weed wacker, music at the mall, etc.)
      I don't think there is a truth that covers us all. I believe that what had worked for me and others will likely work for a significant fraction of people here. I have no idea what that fraction is.

By the way, when I say that it worked for me, I mean that I had observed painfully slow fading when I had been able to stay away from noise. In my case, I got unlucky as I was unable to completely eliminate secondary acoustic traumas (albeit from minor things like pressing a loud phone to my bad ear). My condition had deteriorated every single time after each of those minor traumas. I am convinced that had it not been for those events (had I been more diligent regarding protecting my ears) I would have been T free by now.

29. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      You call it a fallacy without addressing all of the evidence I produced of people who get better when they are able to stay away from noise, and who get worse after being exposed to noise.

Sorry, it is getting late in the Pacific Time Zone, so I will be unavailable for a while.

30. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Solitary road trips are my biggest passion. My favorite place in the world is Iceland. I had visited it four or five times. I will need to visit it one more time, as there are still two stretches of highway there that I haven't experienced yet.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1