Will Loud Music Guarantee Me a Louder / Worse Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by TheDanishGirl, Jun 3, 2017.

1. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      I have a high pitched dentist drill like tinnitus which needs relatively loud music/noise to be masked completely.

These past weeks I have been really careful and only listened to music at a low level.

But I have had enough!! I can not live like this.... I simply CANNOT!

So I want to give a fuck about everything and just crank up the music and basically.....live my life and forget about my miserable condition!!

If the tinnitus gets worse: so be it...who cares!! I'm dead anyways, so might as well make the most of it in the short time I'm here.

But will listening to loud music 100% make my tinnitus worse?? Or could I be lucky?? What are the chances/risks?

2. JurgenG
      Approved

JurgenG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure / headphone accident maybe?
      Sandra, is it true you only got T since may? Pretty severe though as you say it.

But I would say: be careful, try not to make it worse or mess up recovery. Because it will probably be better in a couple of months!

Too add: loud noise will not always make T worse, but it's possible. Your ears are more sensitive and can most likely not handle the volumes someone without T can handle.

3. orbiter12

orbiter12 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/03/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud club
      If you've only had T since may avoid loud noises it might get better. I had mild T for 6 weeks that increased to 7/10 after an alarm and going to a loud pub. Over the course of 6 weeks is either gotten a loud quieter or i just notice it less. Even sleeping with my ears on the pillow again and falling asleep very quickly. Hold in there it might get better dont do anything you will regret

4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      It is entirely your choice whatever you decide to do. Since you are asking for advice on listening to loud music to mask your tinnitus here is my opinion.

Tinnitus should not be masked or "covered up so it can't be heard". Any attempt to do this will usually make the condition more intrusive once the masking sound is removed or temporarily stopped. Listening to loud music especially through headphones will undoubtably make the tinnitus worse.

I realize English is not your first language and have taken this into consideration and therefore, decided to answer your question on this occasion. However, in future could you please refrain from using profanity (swearing). It looks especially bad in writing and will make some people wonder, what kind of upbringing a person has had, especially when they are able to see their picture.

All the best
      Michael

5. orbiter12

orbiter12 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18/03/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud club
      I know what you mean when you say fuck it all and just go back to living a normal life. I feel the same when all my friends are going clubbing or going go-karting going to the pub etc or when i want to listen to music at work. People take drastic measures on this forum and completely isolate themselves which i feel is unneeded. just be smart, avoid extremely loud places but you can still enjoy the things you used to before just be cautious now you have this condition (seems to be working for me anyway)

• Like Like x 1
    6. Ambassador
      Cool

Ambassador Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss and lifetime noise exposure
      You're not dead anyway, none of us are.

Tinnitus is not your problem, your emotional reaction to it is.

I've had mine for over 3 years, I have my good days and bad days but better days will come and you will discover that as well.

There are many options for dealing with the anxiety, depression and panic tinnitus causes and once you find one that works for you the tinnitus will become much easier to handle.

Get some sound therapy going for yourself.

I have several sound files I use while going about my day, I stream white noise or rain or neuromodulation tones all while watching TV, listening to music, whatever.

There are many ways of coping, just search for ones that work for you. It's real easy for me to just sit in the house but as an example, last night I went out to a noisy restaurant and I didn't need any sounds playing, just being in that environment covered my tinnitus beautifully and I was able to completely forget about it for a while.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi @SandraDK,
      I totally understand how you are feeling .
      I would try just downloading natural sounds or relaxing music to keep you calm.
      Maybe see out of hours doctor to check your ears and might give you something help you relax.
      I think loud music would be risking your ears more.
      Love glynis

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      This mentality is not going to help your tinnitus. Loud music, sound environments can bring you a nasty spike in your tinnitus and can possibly do damage to the ears. Tinnitus is frustrating and it sucks, but why take a risk and making it worst? Take care of yourself and be blessed....

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. tiniturtle

tiniturtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/19/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Paromomycin
      You should definitely take it easy for a while. It's likely you will heal and recover. If not fully, to a very good degree. Don't mess that up early on.

10. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      I've been to gigs with plugs and been fine. I must admit this forum has put me off going to more but i have started to realise this condition is a very individual one and what is good for one person may not be for another.

• Like Like x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TheDanishGirl
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I appreciate it...

But i just utterly feel its different for me...

Not to say, that others out there dont suffer just as much or maybe even more, because i know theire is.

But what makes me think im doomed with T, is thinking of my early relationsship with unpleasant noise and how i have never been able to cope...

I have lived with noisy upstairs neighbours for several years and i noticed the noise just as much the day i moved then the day i moved in. I never adapted to it or had one single day where i did not notice the noise.

When im on a 10 hour flight i use a vast majority of that time listening to and getting annoyed at the sound of the jet engines....

If there is a fan going in my office i will listen to it very much doing the day...

I am noise sensitive and just dont seem to be able to adapt to unwelcome noice, which makes me believe with all my heart......that their is simply no hope for me....and i might as well live life to the fullest and end myself in short time.

12. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Indeed Sam you are correct. Tinnitus is an individual one and no two people experience it the same. You have improved a lot and give some great advice here and hope you stick around. Though your tinnitus is low, please do not forget that you have it and I strongly advise that you be careful when going clubbing or attending a concert wearing earplugs, as they are not 100% safe. If external sound is loud enough, it can reach the inner ear through the mastoid bone and by bone conduction. One of the most common things that people do when they successfully habituate to their tinnitus and it is low, they forget and that is when they are at risk.

All the best
      Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TheDanishGirl
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      And maskers and calm music dont help to calm me unless their cover my T completly.....tried many times and with many different sounds and it makes no difference for me.

14. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Wearing maskers or to use their modern name: White noise generators, are not supposed to "mask" the tinnitus. The volume should always be set below the tinnitus. Furthermore, white noise generators will not work successfully for a person unless they are also having "tinnitus counselling" with a Hearing Therapist or Audiologist who is trained in it. The counselling helps the patient not to focus on the tinnitus and learns not to see it as life threatening. More is explained in my article: Tinnitus, A Personal View.

Michael

15. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      Like you I loved silence and couldn't stand loud TVs etc...my t can't be masked by sounds easily, what I do is use MyNoise and you can experiment with the slides...

You will learn to adapt better, give yourself a chance...x

16. Ambassador
      Cool

Ambassador Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Using white noise generators just below tinnitus is great for working on habituation but when in crisis mode I think it's more important to find immediate relief and if that means cranking up the noise to cover so be it. It takes months if not years to habituate but a crisis needs immediate relief. Get to a good place first then go back to habituation volume when you are in a better emotional place.

17. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I understand Sandra ,
      As suffer greatly with my ears.
      If your at home maybe open a few windows or spend some time outdoors as might help.
      You will get through this but I understand it's tough going .
      Love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    18. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      If totally masking your tinnitus works for you that's fine. However, doing this you will find it difficult to habituate to your tinnitus. The brain cannot habituate to tinnitus if it is unable to hear it even in a crises mode. The sound enrichment for best results should be set below the tinnitus at all times. If tinnitus is severe and is causing distress then herbal or prescription medication is advised as this will help deal with the stress.

Michael

19. MidnightOilAudio
      Ape-like

MidnightOilAudio Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      For anyone to answer this, you first have to have a definition of loud. 100db? Yes, you will damage your ears. Will it make your T worse? There's a very strong possibility.

80dB? If you listen for extended periods, perhaps. Much less likely to damage your ears in this range (unless you already suffer from H, at which point it's a crapshoot).

I do my audio work at around 75dB and occasionally crank it into the 80's for a few brief seconds, and when I adjust the volume, I don't "snap" the knob to a loud position. I gradually increase it so that my tensor tympani has to time to "clamp down" and naturally protect. I believe that very loud sounds that are instantaneous (gun-shot, something being dropped) are more damaging than sounds that gradually get louder because of our bodies inability to instantly protect.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    20. Zug
      Woot

Zug Member Benefactor

You're still very new to this. Did you try white noise? You can download a white noise app for your phone and try it. In the begging nothing but white noise would work for me. In time, music, conversation, etc will distract you from your Tinnitus.

I don't know if it's an option for you, but I do have a noise cancelling headphone, I listen a lot to music and their great.

Listen to it, just don't blast music at a level that can hurt your hearing. No-one can tell when and why your Tinnitus changes, but repeated exposure to loud sounds can hurt you.

Best,
      Zug

21. jjflyman

jjflyman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise (Concert)
      DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT listen to loud music with your headphones. Your ears need to recover. If you continue to listen to loud music, there is a good chance your Tinnitus will become permanent. Right now there is a very good chance it will fade completely away in a few month. DO NOT do anymore damage. YOU WILL get through this and get back to a normal life if you take care of your ears now. I don't believe for one second that your particular T is permanent. DO NOT screw up your recovery

22. Wojtek Kalka
      Badass

Wojtek Kalka Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Very loud concert.
      If your tinnitus is new, you may be careful, but someone said here listen to 75db all the time nearly never does any harm. I listened to music all the time for many years. My tinnitus only spiked from a concert never from headphones. But tinnitus is unpredictable, still I believe listening to a normal sound level is totally fine. And a normal sound level is not 40-50db ... anyway if you feel good do it ..
      You will get 100 different opinion here from 100 people. I am still not sure quietness is good for tinnitus either, even it does not bother you hearing only the ringing. Just don't overdo it but do what feels best for you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    23. Ambassador
      Cool

Ambassador Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Agreed, I'm talking for limited periods when desperate for some relief. As soon as the crisis passes it's back to lower levels.

24. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I understand where you are coming from as the noise from tinnitus can be extremely distressing. If that works for you then fine and wish you well.
      Michael

25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TheDanishGirl
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, I have tried white noise.......and brown and pink. Does nothing to me.

I think i will try cricket sounds though. Read that somebody with high pitched tinnitus like mine benefit from this.

26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TheDanishGirl
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I apologise the profanity, but you have to understand that it is a very stressfull and very VERY emotional time for me right now (still in the psych ward). Im usually very well mannered.

I will try as much as i can to not listen to loud music and give it a few months to maybe get better or heal, but it is so very hard.

27. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Maybe try hearing aids Sandra.
      Hope they are taking very good care of you and you will get through this and learn some coping stratagies from them.
      Love glynis

28. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      It is good to hear that you are very well mannered and I understand the distress that you are in believe me. It is your choice what you decide to do but as you are new to tinnitus, I advise that you try not to "mask" your tinnitus as it's very difficult to do and it could make things worse.
      Best of luck
      Michael

29. Kelvin

Kelvin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Work
      You say you don't care so why the question ?....I don't understand.
      To be honest if your T was bad you probably wouldn't be able to listen to loud music.
      I love music but have changed the way I listen to it since getting T and in particular H.
      I have progress from Guns and Roses to Country and classical....:LOL:
      At the end of the day the choice is yours....one life.
      Loud music is very likely to make your T worse...albeit may be short lived or not !!!
      Roll the barrel and fire the gun...:D

30. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Who's your favourite classical composer Kelvin?