Worried About Suction from Silicone Earplugs Causing Damage

Discussion in 'Support' started by MikeO123, Aug 30, 2019.

1. MikeO123

MikeO123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I tried silicone earplugs, not the soft moldable kind, the trip-flange ones.

They were a little tough to put and I had to get them in slowly by twisting them. When I did that and while they were in there was a lot of suction in my ear.

I'm was wondering if that may have damaged my ear. My tinnitus seems a bit louder now but maybe I'm overthinking it.

Thanks for your help.

2. MattS
      Balanced

MattS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Power Tools
      Extremely, extremely unlikely. The only thing the suction could do is tug on the eardrum slightly, and as long as nothing perforated (which it clearly didn't) you should have no problems.

FYI: I find that taking those flange earplugs out nice and slowly can help prevent any pressure/noise feedback. But still, you should be fine.

-Matt

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. Earing
      No Mood

Earing Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      Honeywell-1.png

• Informative Informative x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MikeO123

MikeO123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hey everyone,

Today I've been having a lot of crackling sounds in one ear, especially when talking.

About a half hour ago I was putting in swimmer ear plugs (the soft moldable kind) and I kept re-adjusting to make sure they were covering my ear canal properly. When I would do this it would create strong suction in my ear. When I removed the earplug and suction was created all of a sudden, in the ear that's been making crackling sounds there was a beeeeeeeeeeep. It lasted for about 15 minutes which was really worrisome.

I was wondering if any of you have experienced something like this and know what might have caused this to happen. Thank you.

5. Ruse
      No Mood

Ruse Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL & TMJ
      Crackling noises sounds like excess ear wax to me? Have you had your ears inspected recently?

The beep sounds like fleeting tinnitus? Nothing to worry about if so.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MikeO123

MikeO123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Haven't had them checked recently but I'll do that soon. I did just have a cold recently so I'm wondering if the crackling could have something to do with that.

In regards to the beep sound I heard it was the same sound I get when I have fleeting tinnitus but it lasted longer than any fleeting tinnitus episode I ever had. It also occurred at the exact moment there was suction in my ear from removing the earplug. I'm wondering if somehow I triggered that beep to happen. Thank you for your reply.

7. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Easy advice: use foam earplugs instead.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MikeO123

MikeO123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Yeah from now on I won't be wearing the soft silicone ones anymore.

9. Ruse
      No Mood

Ruse Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL & TMJ
      Could also be ETD if you’ve just had a cold? Would possibly explain the crackling better.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MikeO123

MikeO123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Yeah I was thinking that too. So ETD and wax are the two biggest possibilities. I'll make an appointment with an ENT to see what's going on.

Now that I think about it, even before there cold there were crackling sounds in the same ear sometimes and also a clicking sound that I would sometimes get when walking. But the sounds occur only when I touch my ear or talk.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MikeO123

MikeO123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      It also feels like the there's something loose in my ear. I'm most worried about this being some kind of problem with the eardrum or middle ear. I'm hoping it's something that can be easily treated. I'll also get a little thump in my ear, mostly then I move my head.

12. TBH
      Depressed

TBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Constant ringing recent, hum few years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unwanted tests by Incompetent NHS hospital staff
      Have to ask. What is the deal with foam earplugs? I’ve bought 3 different makes now and don’t get it. Everything is as clear as can be and they block nothing. I have to use wax or silicone plugs which aren’t perfect as I still get woken up by builders low hum or high pitch noises. What earplugs are the best for people like us?

13. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Do you insert the foam ones properly and wait the appropriate time to regain their shape? For me, foamies work best and block the most. It's weird being with them in the city, because my hearing then is bad and I'm afraid that I will get hit over, and can't communicate, so I use the silicone Alpine ones for commuting, but I'm not absolutely sure how safe they are, because I don't feel they block anything.
      I use the 3M foam ones, they are cheap, and have an NRR of 33db. Downside: every earplugs make my ears itchy, and they used to make my head hurt if I slept in them. I haven't tried sleeping with earplugs in since T reared it's ugly head.

• Like Like x 1
    14. TBH
      Depressed

TBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hey, yeh, I tried putting them in different ways, when they reshape after insert they never feel or stop sound much, but obviously the silicone and wax are solid materials in the ear and surely give more protection against sound. Not enough for me obviously as head on pillow picks up what’s going on outside regardless, but the foam is not solid and are light and airy so surely they don’t have the capability to stop as much noise? That’s what I don’t understand about foam users. Foam are the only ones that itch for me too. Does enhance the tinnitus but sometimes it’s necessary.

15. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      If you look at the foam noise reduction ratings they are higher than silicone or wax plugs. Solid materials conduct noise better than the foam that will absorb and dissipate it.

Make sure the foam plug is fully compressed, and you get it in deeply with most of the plug in the ear canal. Watch some videos on inserting ear plugs to make sure you are doing it correctly.

• Like Like x 1
    16. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      no comment except that I insert and remove these hundreds of times a year and have for a decade

• Informative Informative x 1
    17. TBH
      Depressed

TBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks, I will give that a go. Really surprised that the lighter airier foam is supposed to be more effective than a solid silicone or wax.
      I just can't get them to block out any sound at all. Just don't get that.

18. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      That's really weird. Foam plugs are the best at blocking sound. Are you sure you are inserting them correctly? Look on YouTube for videos that show how to insert earplugs.

• Like Like x 1
    19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MikeO123

MikeO123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I have problems with foam earplugs and I can't seem to get them in as deep as I need to. Maybe you have small ear canals and could try slim fit foam earplugs.

• Like Like x 1
    20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MikeO123

MikeO123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      *UPDATE* I went to my primary car doctor and he said the ear that's been crackling has a lot of earwax so he can't see my eardrum in that ear. I'm hoping it is just ear wax causing this problem but the thing that concerns me is that crackling happens when either I'm talking or during certain sounds. I don't see how earwax would make my ear crackle with sounds. If I only move my jaw and don't talk I don't get the same crackling. I'm really hoping it's not a problem with the eardrum or a middle ear problem.

21. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Some folks have larger ear canals, and need a larger plug. Consider trying the Howard Leight Max1 if you think that applies. On the other hand, many females have narrower ear canals and need a slimmer one to go deep so consider that option as well.

• Like Like x 1
    22. TBH
      Depressed

TBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I still find that amazing that on here you all say foam are the best for blocking sound. I bought 3 different versions of foam. Don't think ear canals particularly small, they do open when I put them in and feel like they're compact, but I just hear everything perfectly when they're in. Now with the sticky silicones, They are in properly. I can still hear stuff, but not what is being said. With foam, everything is perfectly clear. Again, that is what I didn't get, the silicone is solid and should block, but foam is not solid. But I can't argue with the masses on here who say foam is the best, so I'm persevering with it. Thanks again.

Thank you, I will see if I can get them, I think they're on Amazon UK now.

23. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      @TBH

You're welcome. Let us know how it works out.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    24. TBH
      Depressed

TBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Will do, thanks.

25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MikeO123

MikeO123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I'm really concerned that when I took out the moldable silicone earplugs about a week ago that I caused damage.

When I took them out there was a beep and I saw an article about how the suction from a kiss to the ear can cause damage so I'm really worried I damaged my hearing more even though I was trying to be protect myself by wearing earplugs. The crackling when I talk or during certain noises started after this incident. I went to the doctor and there is impacted wax deep in the ear canal but I'm really thinking I did more damage to myself.

I appreciate any words of encouragement or advice.

26. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      In my opinion foam earplugs, properly inserted, are the best to block sound. Actually the 3M earplugs that come in different colours and are thinner are worse than regular and wider foam earplugs. The material of those earplugs of different colours that are advertised as specific to block noise makes them stuck in the ear and there is suction when you remove them.. so you just have to try several models of foam earplugs and find the right ones for you, depending on the brands available where you live.

• Like Like x 1
    27. TBH
      Depressed

TBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks. Any experience with the Flare Isolate Mini? Should foam block out the deep bass thump from next door and high pitch whine of hoover?

28. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Higher frequencies tend to be easier to block than lower frequencies.

• Like Like x 1
    29. TBH
      Depressed

TBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The Flare arrived today, £25 UK pounds which is about $33 in dollars, and they're beyond useless. They block nothing out, literally nothing, 'memory foam' they say with aluminium tips, but again I can hear every single word spoken in a room even when they're speaking quietly. I've tried for ages today to get these to be effective, and they come with 3 size tips, none of which work. The silicone disposables fill the ear canal, foam obviously doesn't with me.

30. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      For me foam earplugs worked, and I had severe hyperacusis. Of course you can hear what's spoken, because with severe hyperacusis nothing blocks sound, not even the biggest earmuffs with foam plugs below them, the sound just goes through... but you have to find the kind of hearing protection that is best for you.

• Like Like x 1