Your opinion, Dr.

Discussion in 'Dr. Stephen Nagler (MD)' started by gary, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Dr. Nagler is not answering questions.
    Dismiss Notice
    1. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      I think we all pretty much agree stress make make T worse. I would appreciate your opinion regarding T being caused by mental and or physical trauma. I have been a diabetic type II since 92, had a heart attack in 98 & again in 2001. In 07 I had colon cancer, they had to remove a foot of my colon. Two years ago I had a 4X bypass. Three months after the bypass the T began. I think/thought I have dealt with these medical issues pretty good. No depression or feeling sorry for myself. Could the above have triggered stressors unbeknownst to me and caused T. Last year I was told I had stage 3 kidney failure. All in all though, I feel pretty good, except for the T. After almost two years now it is still affecting my quality of life...
      Age 67

2. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Hi @gary -

A significant number of people first become aware of their tinnitus during a time of significant stress or mental trauma in their lives (studying for the bar exam, going through a divorce, during the illness of a loved one, etc.) In that regard some authorities see it strictly as coincidence, while others have come to view stress as a "tinnitus-emerger" - as if the stress uncovers tinnitus that was there all the time. I think the same can be said for physical trauma - because significant physical trauma can and often does induce a stress reaction.

Dr. Stephen Nagler