Your Thyroid Can Make Your Ears Ring!

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by calin, Jan 16, 2013.

1. JohnJ

JohnJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Hi. Thought I'd just add my story to the thread. I'd had very low level tinnitus for maybe 20 years. I could go weeks without noticing it. Then last year my Dr said my thyroid levels were low and he thought I would benefit from medication so he started me on 25mg thyroxin even though I'd not complained of any symptoms. After 1 month he put my dose up to 50mg and then up to 100mg 1 month after that. About 1 week after starting on 100mg I noticed my tinnitus had got worse and it got progressively worse thereafter. I told the Dr I thought it was the thyroxine causing it and suggested I drop back down to 50mg which I did but by then my tinnitus was horrendous and so I stopped taking it altogether. That was 9 months ago and I still have very bad tinnitus although I feel I have started to habituate. A couple of months ago I had an MRI scan which showed that I have an acoustic neuroma. The consultant said this was a possible cause of my T but he couldn't say for certain. Since then my Dr has been concerned about my thyroid levels again and wants to put me back on thyroxine. So far I've declined as I had associated it with the cause of my T but I'm now thinking that it might just have been coincidence and that the acoustic neuroma is the more likely cause so I think I will go back on to a low dose of thyroxine and see how it goes.

2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, John,

There are so many possible causes for tinnitus that it's hard to say what might have triggered it, but I don't blame you for being cautious about the thyroxin. I'm currently on 100 mg Synthroid (thyroxin), and have been on this drug for many years. It didn't cause my tinnitus, but it may have contributed to my ears being more sensitive. My tinnitus first started after loud noise exposure; then, in 2010, I took a blood pressure drug which caused my tinnitus to get much worse, along with pulsatile tinnitus.

If you are feeling run down and tired, or have other symptoms, it probably would be good to get back on a low dose of the thyroxin to see how you feel on it. If you have problems, there are other natural alternatives that might work better for you.

Good luck, and I'll be interested to hear how the low-dose thyroxine works for you.

• Like Like x 1
    3. alifalijohn

alifalijohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/14
      Hello Just keepiin touch , how are things going with your thyroid..I still feel dizzy and lightheaded..are you gettinh this with your tinnitus..please let me know ..not feeling too good today/

4. alifalijohn

alifalijohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/14
      Hello How are you how are things going with your thyroid, still have tinnitus , plus I am dizzy and lightheaded..did my mri sat. will let you know how things turn out not feeling good today.keep in touch

5. alifalijohn

alifalijohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/14
      Hello Karen keeping intouch, how are you? I still have tinnitus , plus dizzy and wobbly, had my mri done on sat, will let you know the outcome. did you get dizzy and wobbly from your low thyroid? Let me keep keep intouch

6. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi, @alifalijohn,

I'm glad you had your MRI, and will be interested to hear what the results are.

Yes, when my thyroid problems first started, I felt weak and shaky, and very tired. All the bad symptoms went away after I had been taking thyroid medicine for awhile. I don't think it took too long to begin feeling better; the medicine made such a difference for me! I've been taking it for about 30 years now.

Take care, and I hope you get some answers soon so that you can start to feel better!

• Like Like x 1
    7. alifalijohn

alifalijohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/14
      Hello Karen, nice to hear from you, waiting for my result from my Mri, I feel Dizzy and wobbly every day, do not get much sleep, did you get dizzy and wobbly? I think i can handle the T, but the Dizzy and wobbly feelings makes me feel like I have lost myself. Does the T comes with feeling dizzy and wobbly? let me know, much appreciated.

8. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @alifalijohn ,

It's hard to say. Either thyroid OR tinnitus, or both, could be making you dizzy and wobbly. It depends on the cause of the tinnitus. For me, (speaking for myself only), my thyroid condition made me feel weak and shaky, not dizzy. However, when I changed from one brand of pills to another, I may have felt dizzy and wobbly for a few days.

Tinnitus can do that, too, but it depends on so many different factors, it would be hard to say.

I hope you get feeling better soon!

• Like Like x 1
    9. alifalijohn

alifalijohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/14
      Thanks for the info, still trying to find what is causing this, I hope they can find out soon and fix this..thanks

10. alifalijohn

alifalijohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/14
      I think I feel shaky and wobbley..I guess I say dizzy, because that is the first thing comes to my mind..thank you for the info.. did it go away? they have changed my thyroid pills about 3 times, right now I am taking 75mcg. the blue pills synthroid , not the yellow pills ( levo) What mcg do you take..much appreciate your answer, I feel we both have the same problems..plus I am not sleeping well.not sure to do..thanks for listening..GOD BLESS!

11. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @alifalijohn

Yes, the shaky and wobbly feelings went away when my body adjusted to the medicine. I am currently taking 100 mcg Synthroid (yellow pills). When I get my medicine, I insist that the druggist give me the name brand, not a generic. I've tried the generics and they don't work for me. They make me feel sort of dizzy.

Your sleep problems and bad feelings may get better after you get used to the new dosage of medicine.

Good luck!

• Like Like x 1
    12. alifalijohn

alifalijohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/14
      Thank You..right now I an 75 mcg , I should go back to 10omcg. I have to check with my doc., I think my shakiness and wobbly feeling started when i started the blue pills..75mcg.. I wish these doc. could get it right. I hope I can sleep tonight.. I am going to a natural path..not sre they can do any thing for me, have you tried them..have you tried valarian root for sleeping .thanks keep intouch.

13. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, I've tried a naturopath, and I have used valerian root. A naturopath might be able to give you some good suggestions for things you can do to begin feeling better. Valerian root really does seem to work for sleep.

Hope you're able to get some sleep tonight!

• Hug Hug x 2
    14. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Karen,

Specifically, which blood pressure medicication was it that made you T condition become worse?

15. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi, @jimH ,

The blood pressure drug that made my tinnitus worse was Lisinopril. Then, my doctor switched me to propranolol, then Toprol XL, then a diuretic (hydrochlorothiazide). I think it was the Lisinopril that caused the increased ringing. I also have pulsatile tinnitus, and I'm not sure if it was the drug that caused it, or getting off and on several drugs.

I was able to get myself off all the blood pressure meds, as my blood pressure has come down to a normal level. However, the tinnitus and pulsatile tinnitus remain.

Are you currently on a blood pressure drug (or drugs)?

• Like Like x 1
    16. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Hi Karen,

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my question. I am currently on Metoprolol (Lopressor generic) and have been for on it for at least eight years. Although, I've been on several different doses over the years, I've never experienced any change in my T. My preexisting condition of T was noise induced. That I'm sure of.

Metoprolol is one of the five ototxic cardiac medicines specified in this pdf that can possibly cause Tinnitus:

http://www.ata.org/sites/ata.org/fi...by_League_for_Hard_of_Hearing_2012_Jul_12.pdf

My T became worse over the Winter. I had a couple of stressful situations in my life that lasted several months. It was during that time that I realized that my Tinnitus was loud all of the time in my left ear and about 70% of the time in my right. Before that both sides were moderate most of the time with occasional periods of them being loud for several hours. My age might also be a factor. I think that I once read that it's not uncommon for it to become louder for some people when they get into their sixties.

I'm adjusting to the fact that this may be the way it's going to be from now on.

I'm sorry that you're T condition didn't improve for you when you got off of the BP meds.

17. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @jimH ,

Thanks for responding. Your tinnitus may be similar to mine, in that mine was first noise-induced. I had it for about 25 years with no problems; it wasn't that loud or intrusive. Then, after I took the blood pressure drug, it became almost unbearable. I often had roaring tinnitus, and that combined with the pulsatile tinnitus was enough to make me a basket case for awhile!

Like you, I'm in my 60's, and I think age has something to do with it, too. We simply take longer to heal, and most people probably begin to experience some hearing loss and/or tinnitus at this age.

I took Toprol XL, which is basically the same drug as Metropolol (a beta blocker), so we both may have experienced some exacerbation of our tinnitus due to that drug.

I've been to several doctors for my PT, and had a number of tests, but nothing was found, so right now I am simply trying to live with my tinnitus as/is. I notice that when I'm distracted, the tinnitus seems much better, so I try to stay busy as much as possible.

I wish you well, and hope you are finding ways to cope!

Best wishes,
      Karen

• Like Like x 3
    18. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      My doctor ran a ton of blood tests and I am now on some sort of thyroid supplement.

Anyone have this issue?

Im sure this isn't the primary reason for my T, but maybe I will see some reduction when this is resolved?

19. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      I read somewhere that causes of T can be because of thyroid issues.. Did you look into that?

20. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      • Like Like x 1
    21. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I know this isn't the issue for the most part as I have damaged ears, but maybe it's making things worse.

22. James
      No Mood

James Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Pulsing 03/2013
      Thank you Telis for that link. I'll have to re-read that. I think I did at one time.

I have a thyroid issue, some genetic link in my family. Tinnitus didn't happen to me until after the thyroid issues. I don't know who wrote that article. There's one statement seems to fit me. Dr. said I was hyper and now I have pulsing T. Funny thing is, my regular doctors don't seem to make this connection between the two. My ENT seems to think my T,,, well it's all about stress.

Article says:
      "The tinnitus caused by hyperthyroidism is usually associated with heart rate and is pulsatile in nature".

• Like Like x 1
    23. James
      No Mood

James Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Pulsing 03/2013
      • Like Like x 1
    24. alifalijohn

alifalijohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/14
      Hello Telis, I do have low thyroid, early this year I started feeling dizzy, and my doc. said my thyroid went to high and told to take my pills ( synthroid ) a few times a week, He then changed the dosage back and forth and a few months I started getting T, He said there is no connection, I feel there is a connection, now I get dizzy all day long and I have T 3 mths now. Wish I knew how my T started and the doc.could fix it. Thanks for listening Take care!

• Like Like x 1
    25. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I'm hoping mine is more along the lines of hypothyroidism (sounds like this is more common).

Article says:

With hypothyroidism tinnitus is generally present as a continuous sound.

I definitely have to discuss in further detail with my doc!

• Agree Agree x 1
    26. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Sorry to hear this...you are still early in and if it has something to do with your thyroid, maybe it will resolve itself at some point.

27. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi, Telis,

I am hypothyroid and have been for many years, before my tinnitus started. I've been on Synthroid for about 25 years now, and I think there may be a connection, as far as our ears being more sensitive is concerned.

Also, like James, I have both tinnitus and pulsatile tinnitus. My pulsating started four years ago, after taking a blood pressure drug. Right around that time, for a very short time, I had symptoms of being hyperthyroid (maybe because I was so distraught over the tinnitus, the blood pressure drug, the anxiety, weight loss, adrenal fatigue, and other symptoms I suffered at that time. At any rate, I do think there may be a connection.

I wish you good luck in getting your thyroid under control, and hope that it does result in a reduction in your tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    28. ampumpkin
      Amused

ampumpkin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 12/2007 Increase: 04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2007: Meds(Antidepressant) 2014: Meds(Antibiotics)
      could hyperthyroidism (sorry spelling) could explain T?

29. alifalijohn

alifalijohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/14
      I really think low thyroid has something to do with T and dizzieness all day, my doctor does not thinks so, wish I could find a doctor who can help. Take care help. One day God will smile on us..stay strong!

30. alifalijohn

alifalijohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/14
      Hi Telis, is your T one sound all the time?, mine is. It sounds like crickets in the night!

• Like Like x 1