1 Year On

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by geg1992, Dec 26, 2015.

1. geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure + Antibiotics
      I will try to keep this as brief as possible as I'm now about to go out, but thought I'd let people know how things have gone on a year on...

Basically, if you look back at my posts, I was a complete mess - I was set on suicide, I thought my life was over and that I'd never be able to enjoy anything again. The first 6 months or so were hell, but I'm so glad I kept going. I've had set backs which are guaranteed to happen, but I've always got through them. I had the one person who was initially keeping me going through this cheat on me, which pushed me even closer to suicide.

One year on -->

I have a new job.
      I've been to Tokyo on a trip of a lifetime and had the best week of my life.
      I bought a new car - Nissan 350z, one of my dream cars which I never thought I'd buy.

The above 3 things would have NEVER happened if I DIDN'T get tinnitus. I see this as a huge positive and that tinnitus actually has some positive to it (as hard as this may be to believe) It's made me think totally different about life, and made me realise I need to enjoy it and make the most of it. Before I would never enjoy life like I should, I'd always have second thoughts and never do anything.

In terms of the rest of the positives...

I go to the cinema on a regular basis (With earplugs)
      I regularly go out to pubs/bars, wearing ear plugs if necessary.
      My anxiety towards tinnitus has virtually gone.
      I go to football matches.
      I even have a new girlfriend now who is very understanding about T.

My life is 90% back. I try to avoid going to clubs and gigs but have been to clubs a few times wearing ear plugs.

My T rarely ever bothers me anymore. Recently I seem to have had a spike which has made me think about it a bit more, but I know I have to stay positive and not let it beat me, then the tinnitus will decrease.

The thing I've realised the most about everything is the role ANXIETY plays on T. Trying to stay calm has been the most important factor for me. Any stress or anxiety always made things appear far worse than they actually are. I know there is a vicious circle which you feel you will never get out of, but you will, it takes TIME. Never give up, always have hope, you will habituate, you will get better and you will enjoy life again.

I've probably missed out lots so if anyone has any questions please ask away, just trying to show people life does get better after T.

• Like x 18
      • Winner x 5
      • Hug x 2
      • Helpful x 1
      • Informative x 1
    2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi geg,
      Thank you for sharing your story and a positive post going from bad to where you are now and others will take comfort in this post.
      Lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 2
    3. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      I think your post should be in the Success forum. Congratulations on your journey to a new and better life! :beeranimation:

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      I am so glad that you thought about us to give us an update about yourself and to hear that you have gone such a long way in an absolutely wonderful direction. You have surpassed hugely my most optimistic expectations.
      I agree with you that T, when it gives me a break, made me appreciate life 1000000000 times more than before, when I was letting the tiniest things upset me and I was not living it fully. Only when I was unable to "live" anymore and I was only "not dead", but not alive either and I felt like life was slipping through my fingers (I thought several times that I will die from exhaustion because of so much sleep deprivation) I got to appreciate life and health, which I had taken for granted until then.
      Thank you for sharing your joy and newfound wisdom.
      Just when I was about to push the "post reply" button I saw that Cheza remarked the same part of your post that I commented above.
      You have my most sincere admiration.

• Like Like x 3
    5. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Congrats to you, geg for the amazing turnaround in a year. Yes, your post should be in success stories forum for all to read. It basically validates what we have been saying all along, and that is to give it time, to stay positive and calm, to go out and enjoy life as much as you can, and that our perception about T over time can change for the better with the right approach/attitude. Hey you even find yourself a girlfriend who supports you, as we have told you during your toughest time when your ex dropped you at your darkest period of your life.

You have given TT a nice Christmas gift indeed with this success story. Take good care and God bless.

• Like Like x 3
    6. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Why those things would have never happened if you didn't get T?

7. Falconfox
      Paranoid

Falconfox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wish I knew, possibly nosie damage.
      Nice! To be honest I've read some of your previous posts and they gave me a pretty good scare, Glad to see that those posts are merely slices of life and not the trend as I'm sure we all have to realize. One of these days when I feel confident enough to post about my own successes I intend to go back through my posts and put a close to all of them as leaving them open ended gives the wrong impression to newbies who see them.

• Like Like x 3
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm not sure how to explain it, but I'd never enjoy life to the max, I'd always over think things and think, maybe that's not the best idea.

Now, I just think life's too short. For example; going to Japan, I used to hate travelling even with someone else. I would have never gone all that way by my self before, to a foreign country where barely anyone speaks English. But I went for it and had the best week of my life. It's hard to explain haha!

• Like Like x 4
    9. Atlantis

Atlantis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      OP,

THAT'S GREAT.

You were such an anxious mess before. You have turned a new leaf

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks!

I'm still an anxious mess but no longer towards tinnitus haha.

• Funny Funny x 1
    11. Natalie Roberts
      Haunting

Natalie Roberts Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregnancy or mild hearing loss.. Who knows.
      This is such an optimistic post to read! Thank you for sharing. I'm only in this 9 weeks and I do struggle with the feelings of hopelessess and anxiety some days. Most of the time I am able to keep myself positive but it gets tiring after awhile. Reading your post gave me the boost I needed today. Thank you!

• Like Like x 3
      • Hug Hug x 1
    12. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      :LOL:

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Phil.H

Phil.H Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Fantastic, glad to know you have seen the light and that a good life is possible with T. Three years down the road for me and although could still could do without condition have learnt the same as you that it gets better with time and learning how to cope. Here's to the future !

• Like Like x 1
    14. RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loss of hearing and then stress and anxiety
      Glad to hear things are going well. I still have it too, but don't let it bother me.

15. John Duck

John Duck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2011
      Congrats ...Leading the same life you had before you had T. ( which you seem to be doing ) is the key to habituation , in my book.

• Like Like x 1
    16. Tim87

Tim87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      @geg1992 I sent a message to your hands.... maybe u have some minutes :)

17. Aussie Lea
      Dramaqueen

Aussie Lea Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Would you say loud tinnitus that is overheard over most things you couldn't have habituated? Is your soft?

18. Mark A
      Wishful

Mark A Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I'm at six months and losing hope, so thank you for the success story.

• Hug Hug x 1
    19. Sharr

Sharr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/1950
      Gregg did you have a hearing aid with Tinnitus maskers?