3rd Year Anniversary of Tinnitus and Hearing Loss

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by caffclifton, Jun 8, 2017.

1. caffclifton
      Supportive

caffclifton Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/06/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Labyrinthitis (Inner ear infection)
      Hi All,

Just checking in to post my annual update. This forum really helped me when I first got Tinnitus and Hearing Loss so I just wanted to keep you all updated on my progress and to clarify that this is something you can live with. It may not seem like it when you are first diagnosed but things do get better.

So, not much has really changed since my two year update health wise. I'm still coping really well day to day. I manage to ignore the Tinnitus so well sometimes I forget I have it. to be honest I think it would be weird to hear complete silence now. The only time I struggle is with my hearing for example if I'm hosting a large meeting at work sometimes I can't hear what people are saying to me but I find if I explain I'm "Half Deaf" people are really accommodating. All of my friends are fully aware of my hearing difficulties and understand when I'm struggling.

Last summer I went through a really difficult period of time and ended up splitting up with my then boyfriend. I found around this time the Tinnitus was more noticeable, I think this was because of stress. However I found that times like that puts everything in to perspective. I'm a huge believer in everything happens for a reason, we are massively tested in life. Getting Tinnitus and Hearing loss was one of the hardest times of my life BUT I got over it and it made me realise that I'm strong enough to get over anything that comes my way.

This leads me on to Andrea. I met Andrea on this forum 3 years ago. We got Tinnitus around the same time and really supported each other. We have been talking constantly ever since. We don't even talk about the Tinnitus any more its all about life, studying, work, relationships, drinks, dancing... We are like soul sisters, we have the same birthday (2 years apart) are into the same kind of things and just get on so well. I'm actually going to visit Andrea in Romania next month for a long weekend and i'm so excited. Again everything happens for a reason, if I hadn't got my Tinnitus and Hearing Loss I wouldn't have made such a great friend!

I get a lot of people contacting me on Facebook for support. If anyone ever feels like they need to talk, ask questions please do reach out to me. I'm more than happy to listen... (with my good ear) and offer all the advice I can.

Things WILL get better... Life is precious, you WILL get through anything life throws at you.

Caff :)

• Like x 15
      • Hug x 7
      • Agree x 2
      • Useful x 1
      • Optimistic x 1
    2. vermillion
      Whistles

vermillion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      @caffclifton
      Hi Caff.
      Nice post. Is your tinnitus loud?

3. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Thank you so much for posting! Rather than ask you a million questions, I went back and read some of your previous threads and they are very helpful.

I have asymmetrical hearing loss from a virus, mine is severe loss of high frequencies. My general doctor thought it was originally an ear infection, but we realized otherwise once we discovered the extent of my hearing loss and started to put together the pieces.

Hearing loss and tinnitus is a double whammy. Similar to what you mentioned in a post, everything is muffled for that ear, there are high beeps for high pitched sounds, hyperacusis to random noises, and then there's the constant tinnitus screeching over all of that.

I was devastated when I was first diagnosed. To know that I'd never again hear my spouse's voice clearly or that my children's laughter would add a high pitch sound above the constant noise . . . just awful. I worried about everything from vacations and school programs to cleaning the house and doing laundry. I was an absolute mess. I'm only in my 30s, I did not expect hearing loss at my age.

Any advice for habituation with hearing loss? Did you try a hearing aide? How often do you use earplugs?

I was unable to try antidepressants due to other health concerns, so I have had to find other ways to cope. An audiologist advised white noise; I tried it but it annoys me because of the high pitch beeps it creates. I honestly feel like my tinnitus is worse after a night of white noise.

I did find a therapist who has been a huge help. And I have talked to people I personally know with tinnitus and hearing loss who are living full and happy lives.

All of them told me that I couldn't change my tinnitus nor recover my hearing. But what I could do was change my response to it. From reading your posts, it seems like that's what you did to habituate. It seemed like you took a positive attitude early on.

I still have moments of anxiety when I think about the future or bouts of tears when I feel overwhelmed, but overall I am trying to live without fear and look for the silver lining.

• Hug Hug x 8
    4. Zug
      Woot

Zug Member Benefactor

Hey @caffclifton, come to Brazil already.

XO
      Zug

• Like Like x 1
    5. Rosemerry
      Energetic

Rosemerry Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @caffclifton Oh wow, thanks for this breath of fresh air Caff and for keeping us updated! You're so funny, I tell people I'm half deaf all the time too! xoxo Rosemerry

• Like Like x 1
    6. Dominic1955
      Artistic

Dominic1955 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic hearing loss
      Your the best Caff!

• Like Like x 1
    7. Dominic1955
      Artistic

Dominic1955 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic hearing loss
      @Tinker Bell how long have you had the tinnitus and hearing loss?

8. Tinker Bell

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Only since February of this year. I am still working through my anxiety and depression, but I feel that is at least slowly getting better. When I start to worry or get upset about my health, I notice my tinnitus gets worse. So I'm trying to stay positive or at least distracted!

• Hug Hug x 4
    9. HeidiB

HeidiB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ/mild hearing loss
      Hi Caff... I see it’s been a while since you’ve been on here which I’m assuming is a GREAT thing for you! I’m new to this. 7 weeks today if it being constant. It started at night only. Your story was uplifting for a newbie to this as I have and am experiencing all these same emotions thoughts and feelings you explain and as it seems a lot of people go through in the beginning. My biggest problem is sleeping. Anyway thank you for sharing your journey.

Heidi

10. Chris Holland
      Movie buff

Chris Holland Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Life
      • Like Like x 1
    11. MeBeSurfer

MeBeSurfer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSRI Medication, Movie Theaters, or Gaming Headphones
      Wait, why? I'm half deaf literally and wear hearing aids and its basically solved my hearing loss problem. I have better hearing with my hearing aids than all my friends combined. Do you have hearing aids? They make the best hearing aids of all time now! I can even bluetooth into my phone, take calls with my hearing aids, and listen to music during church (pray I don't go to hell for that one).

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. Apolonia
      Disappointed

Apolonia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, acoustic trauma
      It is nice to hear someone talk about hearing aids in a positive way

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    13. Apolonia
      Disappointed

Apolonia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Also, is it possible to practice music with hearing aids? I mean play the violin... Sing... Go to music school? I mean is hearing music the same with hearing aids?

14. Tinker Bell

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      6k is considered a high frequency. Do you have loss above 6k? I cannot hear at 6k through 16k unless the noise is 75dB. Obviously loss above 10k is normal as we age, but by comparing my ears we can tell that I have much more loss at the very high frequencies in my bad ear.

15. MeBeSurfer

MeBeSurfer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I've had hearing aids since I was 2 years old and played piano my whole life. Maybe I'm missing something, but who talks about hearing aids in a bad way? They are basically glasses, but for your ears. Big whoop. I don't notice I'm wearing them, and no one else does either. Most importantly, I still pull babes! So, who cares?

If you have a hearing loss, these things are basically a god send. They single handedly take a reduced quality of life and bring it right back up to top quality of life.

As far as music being the same, yes hearing aids are fully digital now. Consider yourself lucky you didn't have to go through the analog era, where everything sounded like a cassette tape. We live in the best times ever for hearing aids, I highly highly recommend!

Are people really avoiding hearing aids because they think they are just for old people? That's like saying I won't get reading glasses because reading glasses are only for old people. Sheesh, see an audiologist people!

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    16. Apolonia
      Disappointed

Apolonia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I agree with you. I also don't understand why hearing aids are considered to be something bad. I mean, I am mad at myself for destroying hearing because of loud music so I do feel a little bit like I lost my identity but then again... People lose vision all the time and wearing glasses is fancy and you look smart.. on the other hand hearing aids are always viewed as poor you... I am so sorry...

17. MeBeSurfer

MeBeSurfer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Right, glasses are viewed as fancy, because we ALL have friends/family that need them. People just don't know a lot of people with hearing aids so they see it as outside the social norm. I love my hearing aids. People make jokes sometimes, I just laugh with them. It's all about how you rock them. For me, I would MUCH rather hear everything around me, than try and have a go at this life missing half the things going around me. Anyway, hearing aids are no big deal at all buddy. I think you should look into them, if you need them. You will get used to them and they become just a part of your life you don't think twice about them. I forget they are in my ears all the time. And better yet, they drastically reduce my T, because they amplify all the sounds around me to cover it.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      caffclifton
      Supportive

Tinnitus Since:
      02/06/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      - Everyones perception of loud is different. I would say when im thinking about it Yes it is and when my mind if focused elswhere no its not loud. Sorry not the best of answers

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      caffclifton
      Supportive

Tinnitus Since:
      02/06/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hey Heidi,

Apologies for the length of time in coming back to you. i have replied to you in your private message :) These are better for me as they get forwarded directly to my email, i seem to have missed loads from this post.
      Hope you are well x