5th Year of Tinnitus and It Got a Lot Better

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by WaqasVic, Jul 10, 2019.

1. WaqasVic
      Artistic

WaqasVic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My T is way different than all of you , ask me how
      I used to linger here a lot, scared and worried all the time. 5th year here and it's still there. It can get loud but not like before, I don't come here often now like I used to, my brain is tamed to ignore it to the max and I feel pretty much normal now...

It's not a big thing in my life anymore.

I thought I would let you guys know.

I don't care about the cure any more as well, I have been eating and drinking whatever I want. I actually use headphones too lol.

Anyways. It's not a bother anymore. Used to be loud af. Now it's all low and quiet haha...

Sayonara.

• Like Like x 12
      • Winner Winner x 7
      • Agree Agree x 4
    2. annV
      Fine

annV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown - possibly hereditary
      Haha? You have an odd sense of humor.

Never underestimate tinnitus. You might have it under control now but it can get worse, and you might end up having to commit suicide because of it. To avoid that fate, protect your hearing.

I'm happy it improved. Enjoy your life...

• Agree Agree x 6
      • Like Like x 1
    3. MarkX

MarkX Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      How quiet is it on a scale of 1 to 10?

4. VictorDedalus

VictorDedalus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I realize that your comment was well-intended, @annV, but I disagree that any circumstances exist that obligate us to commit suicide. Certainly, adversity can increase the attractiveness of that option, but I don't think it necessarily leads to us "having to commit suicide." The choice remains ours.

Secondly, your comment assumes the original poster suffers from tinnitus as a result of extreme sound exposure, does it not? Perhaps this was the cause of the poster's tinnitus, I don't know. For some of us, however, loud noises don't factor into our symptoms at all.

• Agree Agree x 9
    5. Striveon

Striveon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      When did you start noticing improvements :)?
      Anything you did that helped your tinnitus improve??

6. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      Great news, this is what happens to most tinnitus sufferers. Of course be sensible and all that but good to hear your story, it will inspire some of those people who have recently acquired it.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      WaqasVic
      Artistic

WaqasVic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It was like 8 before, and now it's like 1.

• Winner Winner x 7
      • Helpful Helpful x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      WaqasVic
      Artistic

WaqasVic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes I understand. I have experienced that spot as well haha.

9. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Speak for yourself.
      No. Experiencing tinnitus means one's ears have been compromised, and now other things that are bad for the ears are more likely to cause a bad outcome. In other words, even if your tinnitus is not a result of an ototoxic medication, it is crucial that you try to not take any ototoxic medication now that your ears have been compromised.
      The damage is cumulative...

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    10. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      Didn't you take antibiotics recently? I agree that it's best to try and avoid ototoxic medicine, but it is nigh on impossible avoiding it a whole lifetime. Most people will have to take ototoxic medicine once or several times in their life. Sometimes it is a matter of life or death.

11. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I had an ear infection (these are known to cause tinnitus to spike) and I've taken Amoxicillin (it is supposed to be the least ototoxic antibiotic) to treat it.

• Like Like x 2
    12. GastonFla
      Musical

GastonFla Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Shock (Headphones)
      Hi, this is my first time commenting on a post here.
      Soon I will also create my own thread with my story (I hope a success story) :D

I'm happy you've reached that state! How long did it take you?
      The cause was acoustic trauma?

Thanks!

13. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      Yeah, so you see, one can't always avoid antibiotics or other ototoxic medicine. But wise that you took the one with the lowest risk.

• Like Like x 1
    14. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      @WaqasVic

Congrats on the habituation, and having the tinnitus at a 1 sounds great. I still would not push it and use headphones, but your call. I would continue to protect from loud sounds as tinnitus has lots of potential to get worse again real quickly.

15. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      One should compare the costs and the benefits. For example if a dental procedure is likely to cause tinnitus, then one might consider pulling the tooth.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      WaqasVic
      Artistic

WaqasVic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No idea but I recently got a spike this year and then after some months the tinnitus got to the point where I am unable to notice it... It was mostly because of the loud music I had been listening to on my headphones lol.

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      WaqasVic
      Artistic

WaqasVic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes sure :)

18. VictorDedalus

VictorDedalus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I did. If you think circumstances dictate our actions, so be it. I choose to exercise free will, which many maintain is an illusion.

Perhaps. No one really knows. Certainly not terrible advice, but in my case I doubt my ears are "compromised" at all—my brain is.

Again, maybe. We just don't know. In my case I don't think there was a cumulative effect. For me it was binary, from no problem to spontaneous activation. Cases seem to vary dramatically. For all intents and purposes, we're speaking of entirely distinct disorders.

• Agree Agree x 3
    19. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Free will exists, but we are also subject to countless constraints. These might be hard constraints where there is nothing to be done (e.g., being paralyzed), or soft constraints where there is a high probability that nothing can be done. Surely you will agree that there exist sets/combinations of constraints for which the pain/discomfort/cost of living exceed the benefit/enjoyment of living.

• Agree Agree x 2
    20. Lynny

Lynny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, possibly stress
      That’s an interesting (and sadly rather uncommon on Tinnitus Talk) opinion. I wonder what you think of the Gaby Olthuis situation, regarding (assisted) suicide?

21. Blodorn
      Bored

Blodorn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Congratulations!

I wish I will be like you in 5years. I'm 23 and I really can't imagine that I will have to constrain myself my whole life. I've never been to club or concert. But my headphones were my life haha. I never putted the volume too high. And I don't like music. Only playing game. It feels unfair for now. 1 month+ in.

Inspirational story!
      Live your best life. :)

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    22. JohnK
      Busy

JohnK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/26/2015 (habituated) 5/13/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Doxycycline (2015) Otimize ear drops [neomycin] (2019)
      I same thing happened to me with the tinnitus I got in 2015. Habituation is Magic

(Now waiting for magic round 2... it's hard)

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      WaqasVic
      Artistic

WaqasVic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Round 2 for me tho, it gets a bit hard in the start but then it's all OK, trust me... Hold onto it.

• Hug Hug x 1
    24. Fire2Flowers
      Balanced

Fire2Flowers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 17th, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Generalized Anxiety Disorder
      Please be careful! Loud noise is the mortal enemy of tinnitus sufferers, whether that was the cause or not. I don't want to sound like your mother, but tinnitus is a monster. Please try to avoid any further ear damage if possible. Rooting for you otherwise, and congratulations on habituating! :)

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    25. Sonic17
      Wishful

Sonic17 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ? neck injury/unknown
      I know you did not ask my opinion, but I am following the thread and thought I would comment. I hated the Gaby Olthuis situation, I am not totally against assisted suicide, but I do not want to think my tinnitus would get so unbearable that euthanasia would become an option for me. I feel bad for Gaby that she did not receive more support for her tinnitus. Her mother saw her get short tempered with her children once and then decided from then on that her tinnitus must be really affecting her to the point she could not live her life normally. Are you kidding me? My tinnitus has caused me to be short tempered with my kids, cry in front of my kids, make crummy decisions, get anxious, get depressed and not just once or twice but so frequently it is embarrassing; yet still my family loves me and would never want me to choose euthanasia. Sometimes I think families need more support to understand how to cope with a loved one with tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    26. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      She had had severe tinnitus and severe pain-hyperacusis for years and no treatment she had tried was helping her. She was in pain most of the time and not able to live a normal life anymore. Her family tried everything they could to support her, the children moved out, her mom cooked for her, other people looked after her house and got her groceries. If you're suffering this badly with no end in sight, then yes, some people will choose euthanasia. She's also not the only person that opted for it due to severe tinnitus and pain-hyperacusis.

Her mother didn't just decide that Gaby couldn't live a normal life anymore, Gaby couldn't live a normal life anymore, that's how debilitating tinnitus and hyperacusis can be. I don't know if you know how insanely painful hyperacusis can be, even to the point where you can't even whisper anymore because it feels like the inside of your ears and your whole brain are on fire.

Her mother made it very clear that they tried whatever they could to support her. There were so many things Gaby simply couldn't do anymore because of her severe pain-hyperacusis and no amount of support or accommodations would have changed that. Implying that all she needed was more support, undermines how debilitating these conditions can be. Her mother didn't want her to die but she understood how much her daughter was suffering and that there were no medical treatments coming out any time soon. Even the Youtube comments are more understanding of Gaby's situation.

• Like Like x 2
    27. Sonic17
      Wishful

Sonic17 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ? neck injury/unknown
      @Autumnly
      My apologies, in no way was my post intended to undermine the pain and suffering tinnitus & hyperacusis can cause. I have only had tinnitus and mild H for 2 years, so perhaps I am still new to all of this.

I also live in a country where euthanasia is not an option for those suffering from tinnitus and or hyperacussis. My view is also formed by the norms/laws of my country. Euthanasia is a very new topic in Canada, and it is not easily accessible for us.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    28. jjflyman

jjflyman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise (Concert)
      You make a very good point. Acoustic trauma is probably the #1 cause of tinnitus, but there are many others.

I guess most people (including me) automatically assume the tinnitus was noise induced.

29. jjflyman

jjflyman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise (Concert)
      You are only a month or so in so there is a very good chance you will see significant improvement in the next 6-12 months. Most acoustic trauma induced tinnitus sorts itself out within 2 years. There is a good chance you will recover.

• Agree Agree x 1
    30. MarkX

MarkX Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @jjflyman Hi, how are you. I remember reading that your tinnitus has significantly faded. How is it now? Is it still fading? Is it very low? What would you say it is on a scale of 1 to 10?