Accepting It

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Gilbermi34, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Gilbermi34

Gilbermi34 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      This is my first post. I appreciate having a place for support.

My tinnitus spikes at times and I'm still considering which variables contribute.

Is it meds, music, headphones, age, stress, sinus issues etc? It feels and sounds like an electrical radiant current from deep within my ears. When I sleep I put earplugs in and try to totally accept the sound as a soothing source of my being. It sort of works rather than having to fight it. I'll keep reading, supporting, and learning. I don't like the grump I'm becoming because of it .

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Welcome to the tinnitus talk @Gilbermi34 .
      Love glynis

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. john paul
      English

john paul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Sounds like you have mild T, the cause of the spikes is probably everything you describe, look after your ears really well from now on. Buy some ear plugs, throw away the ear buds, ditch the meds if possible and dont go to any clubs or concerts ever again. Sounds grim and yes it is, but I'm sure you will agree T is a lot worse and you dont want it to get worse. From what i can gather once you have some problems with hearing loss and T its a very slippery slope into hell if you dont protect yourself. Be paranoid about protecting yourself, it will probably help you in the long run.

4. Hazel
      Dreaming

Hazel Director Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one-sided hearing loss (of unknown origin)
      Hey there @Gilbermi34 ,

It can help to systematically track what makes your T worse or better. By tracking I don't mean moment-to-moment monitoring of your T (which will drive you crazy), but noticing when there's a change and figuring out what that change may correlate to (i.e. sleep, stress, certain activities, health symptoms etc.). Over time, this will make you feel more in control, rather than your T dominating you.

I totally agree that acceptance is key. You will read comments on this forum telling you otherwise, from people who will accept nothing but a complete cure (well, we'd all love that, but it's simply not available currently). While I do sympathize with their suffering, I personally believe that if we care about life at all, we have no choice but to accept, adapt, and live our life as best we can.

Good luck! Be kind and patient with yourself, and believe in your inner strength. It's not easy, but you can get better.

Some TT threads that I love, for further inspiration:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/the-power-of-accepting.25551/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...w-i-recovered-from-tinnitus-hyperacusis.3148/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/back-to-silence.7172/
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/the-positivity-thread.3142/page-38#post-296375

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gilbermi34

Gilbermi34 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      All helpful and encouraging. Thank you!

6. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Many things can bring on tinnitus and make it worst. You say that you sleep with ear plugs, is there loud noise around your sleeping area? Does your spouse snore? If so then these are good reasons to possibly wear them. If these are not the reason, then wearing ear plugs can just make you possibly focus more on the noise. It's up to you on what you do, but the last thing we want to do is to train our minds to listen for the tinnitus.

Fighting tinnitus really makes no sense. If your ears are ringing, why add more stress and negativity to the situation. I always promote positivity and fighting tinnitus or being negative just drains the mind/body.

Keep up the good attitude and move forward :)