Acoustic CR® Neuromodulation: Do It Yourself Guide

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by jibs, Apr 24, 2013.

1. TwinGlocks

TwinGlocks Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/20/2013
      It's day three with ACRN and I listed to this all day at work today. While it's playing, I can't hear my T, and when I take off my earphones, I get an RI that last for awhile. I also had a really loud spike last night and I listened to the ACRN for five minutes and it calmed it down. So far so good.

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. FERNANDO GIL

FERNANDO GIL Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hello
      Just sayin, ther is another one on the block.
      All the best to all of you.

3. FERNANDO GIL

FERNANDO GIL Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      sorry for asking, what RI means for? new on this
      Thanks
      Fernando

4. alifalijohn

alifalijohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/14
      All the best to you .from Toronto Canada have T since April 15th .hope they find a cure soon!

5. ItalianMan
      Fine

ItalianMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      RI is for Residual Inhibition, a temporary quieting of tinnitus that can happen after listening to the right type of sound.
      A sound that can cause this to happen is called here a quieting sound or a trigger sound. Although the effect of a single quieting sound is temporary, for many people tinnitus can be kept reduced for much longer periods, by simply keeping a repeating form of the quieting sound playing.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. FERNANDO GIL

FERNANDO GIL Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Many thanks.

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. FERNANDO GIL

FERNANDO GIL Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I tested as well put it playing wille sleeping. When wake up i got aa loud spike for a wille and then tinnitus as lower.
      Next week going to my audiologist to figure my exact frequncy. Hope all goes well. keep you posted .

8. FERNANDO GIL

FERNANDO GIL Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      try longetr, the TRT trement is 4/6 hours daily, I think the trial was based on same as treatment with TRT, as far as hours per day.

9. enro

enro Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2014
      Hi everyone, I just discovered this incredible support and resource site. I've had T since May 22, 2014, so almost a month. It's been, as you all know, a bit of an adjustment...

I've been trying to follow the instructions here to compile an audio file and for whatever reason I can't get it to work. I have Audacity but not having much luck. Does anyone have any more tips or another step by step guide to work from?
      My T tone is (I think) either 4010 or 4050 Hz.

By the way, does anyone have their T spike sharply after matching their tone using a tone generator? Mine seems to amplify once I've matched. Unless I'm not matching, it's hard to be precise.

Anyway, if anyone has any other suggestions on how to create a file for treatment I would very much appreciate it. Thanks.

10. sunmoon

sunmoon Member

jibs he use still this forum?

11. earflappin

earflappin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2011
      @enro - Notch and ACRN are two audio-based treatments for T. Audacity will be useful for creating a Notch file(s). Please see this link for instructions - http://www.notchtherapy.com/step-1.html. You might have to go looking for the stop band pass filter plug-in. A link for that can be found on this site if need be.

ACRN involves multiple tones around your T-frequency playing in different sequence. It would be pretty difficult IMO to use Audacity for ACRN. You can use this link to try ACRN: http://www.generalfuzz.net/acrn/.

Sorry about your T and hope the above helps.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    12. enro

enro Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2014
      earflappin -- thanks for the links! I'll try those out.

13. sunmoon

sunmoon Member

earflappin what do you think it's better ACRN or Notch for the treatment of T? they are two different treatment no?

14. sunmoon

sunmoon Member

Earflappin I followed the steps, and when I get the item, Band-stop filter is not in the latest version for Mac, how do I do?

15. earflappin

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2011
      Hi @sunmoon. Just a suggestion going forward on the forums - if you use tagging (e.g. @earflappin, etc.) when asking a member a question it will be flagged so we see it on the login bar making it easier and faster for us to respond.

earflappin what do you think it's better ACRN or Notch for the treatment of T? they are two different treatment no?

Yes, they are two different treatments each backed with their own studies. Please understand all of us are different in the sense of how long we have had T, our T frequency(ies), loudness levels, how well we have habituated, etc. I say this because certain treatments may have higher efficacy depending on the type of T one has. In my case, my T Freq is 11.5khz, I have had it for over 3 years and I have substantially habituated. I was not aware of ACRN or notch therapy when I started my habituation. I just used white noise and it definitely helped me.

While I have tried ACRN and notch therapy recently, I have not given either long enough to form an opinion. All I can say so far is that neither have reduced my T loudness. Although, interestingly, my T frequency was shifted. When I started it was at 10khz and I find 11.5khz less obtrusive. Whether this will sustain itself I don't know. BTW, I use ACRN and notch together sometimes.

Bottom line, I have no data (yet) that would allow me to recommend ACRN vs notch. Perhaps other members will respond with their experience.

Earflappin I followed the steps, and when I get the item, Band-stop filter is not in the latest version for Mac, how do I do?

Go to this link: http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Nyquist_Effect_Plug-ins#Band_Stop_Filter and download the plug-in. You'll need to put it in your c:\program files\audacity\plug-ins folder and restart Audacity.

You can adjust the stop band - if your T frequency is low (e.g. 4-5kz) I would first try 1 octave. Since mine is so high I use 0.25 octave so I maintain energy in the noise above my T frequency.

16. JonDAH

JonDAH Member

Hi,

Can someone tell me if this method would work for me...

My tinnitus sounds like crickets but also creates a faint tone at times and round about 8000Hz.

17. sunmoon

sunmoon Member

thanks for the reply, you have a Mac? I have tried so many times but it will not paste the file to the plug-ins folder, you have also tried the treatment Notch? how do I put the file in the folder of the plug-ins? I am currently following the site from ACRN generalfuzz.net, but you have to use headphones or no?

18. earflappin

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2011
      @sunmoon - Yes, I have a Mac. You should be able to simply paste the bandstop.ny file into the folder below. I had no issues on my Mac. Remember that you need to unzip the file first.
      upload_2014-6-22_9-44-28.png

You do not need to use headphones on the generalfuzz.net site. I sometimes use them and other times I just let it play through my computer speakers.

19. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      I have been listening to the ACRN BTW 45 -120 min a day. I believe for me it provides minor overall reduction in my t volume. But nothing too noticable long term. MAINLY it seems to provide a safety net because it confuses my brain and causes a constant residual inhibition that is less annoying then listening then to a matched pure tone. Also tryed listening to the notched brown noise but I am inpatient and love the instant gratification that the ACRN provides. I feel less me a weirdo with R2D2 playing on loop in my car but I don't care. I'm going to keep on doing it cause so far it is not hurting.
      Anyone have success with the notched noise?

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      *less me a = like a

21. sunmoon

sunmoon Member

I figured out how to get to the plug-ins folder, but when I want to put the file into the folder bandshop.ny plug ins does not stick, why?
      Do you have skype you could help me in skype?
      when you think you are online? if you can leave your skype id in private message

22. earflappin

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2011
      @sunmoon - I don't have a Skype account. Are you trying to drag and drop this file into the applications>audacity>plug-ins folder onto a local mac or a remote mac? There should be no folder restrictions on the plug-ins folder that would prevent you from moving a file into this folder provided you have normal user rights.

23. earsnothappy

earsnothappy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Has anyone else had the effect of just finding the tone of your T and playing it for a while and notice it cancel out using the generalfuzz page?

I've done this a few times where I'd find the frequency, play it for a moment, and then it seemed like it knocked it out. It was very odd, and not what I was expecting. It didn't cure it or eliminate my T, but it's like it chased it off that frequency.

• Agree Agree x 1
    24. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes its called residual inhibition ...
      Its a beautiful thing just wish it was long lasting!

• Agree Agree x 1
    25. sunmoon

sunmoon Member

I moved the file bandshop.ny inside the plug-ins folder, but it will not paste into the folder, local, who could help me? know someone who can help me?
      thanks

26. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think you haven't installed Audacity to your local drive. Go to the original DMG installer that you downloaded -find the audacity logo (blue orange headphones) and drag it into your applications folder. This will allow you to successfully copy and paste (or drag and drop)the band-pass plug in.
      Hope this helps

27. sunmoon

sunmoon Member

thanks @earflappin and @SoulStation I did and now it's working. I have other question, What's the sound of TRT like a noise white?

There is here someone that could help me to create by myself the ACRN with audacity? Who could create a guide step by step with the screen shot?

It's very important

28. earflappin

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2011
      @sunmoon -

What's the sound of TRT like a noise white?
      AFAIK, there is no 'standard' sound therapy component for TRT. Some use white noise, notched white noise, fractal, etc.

There is here someone that could help me to create by myself the ACRN with audacity? Who could create a guide step by step with the screen shot?
      As I said before, creating an ACRN audio track with Audacity is not an easy task, especially for a novice. ACRN involves repeating, varied frequencies for specific durations above and below your T frequency.

It's not clear to me why you wouldn't just use this link: http://www.generalfuzz.net/acrn/ to try ACRN? Someone has already done the heavy lifting. If you want to know how to record the audio output from the generalfuzz website you can use this link for Mac: http://computers.tutsplus.com/tutorials/how-to-capture-and-record-audio-on-your-mac--mac-52196.

29. sunmoon

sunmoon Member

thanks for the answer
      If i record the sound on generalfuzz acrn and put the file on my iphone i think the sound it's different and not the same like the website, but nobody could create a tutorial or a screen shot step by step? i think it's very usefully for many people with T

what is the best way to record into the mac, and not from the speakers?

30. RobC

RobC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2014
      Thanks for this tool generalfuzz. My tinnitus frequency is in the 8k range. While playing with this tool, I found that if I play the tone and ACRN at around HALF of my tinnitus frequency, it diminishes the volume of the tone. This has been working for me consistently, and has been a godsend.

I don't know why it works, or how, but I wanted to share in case anyone else had this same reaction to the tones. Those first moments of (relative) quiet were such a relief.

• Like Like x 3