Acoustic CR® Neuromodulation: Do It Yourself Guide

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by jibs, Apr 24, 2013.

1. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      Yes I'm listening right now. It provides what I call little bursts of residual inhibition....one over laps into the next . It's one of my only fall backs other then benzos. How long does it last afterwards for you?

2. earflappin

earflappin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2011
      @sunmoon - The step by step instructions for recording an audio stream from a web site (e.g. generalfuzz) is included in the link I referenced in the sub section 'Internal Audio'. Again, here is the link: http://computers.tutsplus.com/tutorials/how-to-capture-and-record-audio-on-your-mac--mac-52196. You should be able to make a perfect digital copy using this technique and play it/them on your iPhone or other mobile device.

3. sunmoon

sunmoon Member

I understood, but for recording an audio stream from a web site not with external speakers but into the mac it's possible? I said the videotutorial or screen shot step by step for create the ACRN, someone could create it?

4. RobC

RobC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2014
      The time frame varies from a few seconds to a few minutes. I have tone generators on all my devices now and use it constantly. If this ever stops working, I'm screwed.

5. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Same here . I think I'm going to record an hour of the audio soon. There's w way to do it just look higher on the thread.

6. Sparks60

Sparks60 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1978
      the easy way to record, is to just use the speaker cable plugged into the mic and headphone jack, to make a loop and use sound recorder on your computer to save it. i did this recording for 30 mins, save it, and can play it now at any time. and i agree this is for sure a must have for me, its a life saver!

7. john2012

john2012 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi RobC,

i'm delighted to hear you're getting relief.

When you say you play the tone and ACRN at around half your T frequency
      do you mean half the volume, or half the value as in 4khz instead of 8khz?

sorry i am not technical at all and cant use audacity or whatever.
      the generalfuzz thing looks wonderfully user friendly.

there was someone on this thread offering to make people downloadable mp3s
      Is that no longer necessary now that generalfuzz exist?

thanks for your help rob

8. RobC

RobC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2014
      Half the values. My frequency is 8k, and I play the tone and ACRN at around 4k. For some reason, this diminishes the loudness of my tinnitus.

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. RobC

RobC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2014
      If you want to play it forever, why not just make a short clip and set the player to repeat and loop? Then it will play infinitely long.

10. john2012

john2012 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Thanks very much Rob.
      maybe this will help many others. It's a cool discovery.

I read a while back somewhere that Halving or Doubling khz values
      keeps the same note on a Lower or Higher octave scale.
      So (if this is right) you're listening to your exact same T note but its
      lower and deeper-sounding

There's something about harmonic connections in the human tonotopic map
      (auditory cortex is like a piano keyboard with neurons as keys)
      which maybe allows people to benefit in the way you describe.

whatever, it's cool.

by the way, does everyone simply use general fuzz or do you have to
      use complicated sound software which i'd prob screw up.

11. RobC

RobC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2014
      Yeah, I am listening to my tinnitus tone one octave lower. The audiologist said I had some hearing loss in the 8k range, which is exactly the frequency of my Tinnitus. However, since I can't actually hear that frequency, I thought playing a tone at 8k probably wouldn't do any good, since... I can't hear it. I have some other ideas, based on music, and I'm going to continue to experiment on myself, more out of desperation than anything else.

12. xmierce

xmierce Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hey Rob,

Love to hear the result.. I have T in the high frequency range and I tried the General Fuzz site and match it to my tone. I could not hear it but my wife sure did! I did not try it for any length of time because I wanted to see if it actually helped versus harmed the T.

• Like Like x 1
    13. john2012

john2012 Member

Tinnitus Since:

Thanks for coming back Rob.

Your experience and observations will be very valuable to many.

Many people cannot hear their own tinnitus frequency in the 'real world'
      because tinnitus often occurs around the edge or in vicinity of hearing loss.
      Some people have residual loss and can still make it out but a lot of people
      simply cannot.

You can still stimulate and treat those areas you cannot hear anymore
      by utilizing the octave rule. Double your khz to go up an octave.
      Or halve your value to go down an octave.

This is amazing for those who thought they could no longer access that part of the
      auditory brain, so your story is SO important, thanks.

Also, high frequencies can be quite annoying sometimes or even dangerous
      (as xmierce suggests) so being able to listen at a safer octave or even
      switching between the two octaves for variety means that this method
      carries incidental added benefits.

• Like Like x 2
    14. NeoM
      Moonlighting

NeoM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/31/2013
      Just visited the generalfuzz website. The audio doesn't play, is that the same for anyone else?

15. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes for me on chrome it doesn't some times. If I enter the frequency box/enter the freq. ( 3900 for me )then hit "enter" on my keyboard, it tends to reload it, then you hit the play ACRN button.
      Hope this helps

16. NeoM
      Moonlighting

NeoM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/31/2013
      I worded that badly. I mean, when I go to the site the frequency slider doesn't even show up and neither does the volume slider.

17. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Try a different browser. I found that happened to me with certain browsers.
      I use chrome.

18. mcauth

mcauth Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Tanks for pointing out the plugin is missing in Audacity. I've updated the instructions (on notch therapy's site) with a pointer to the band stop filter. Also note that the notch filter will work as well.

Another alternative - much more technical though - is to use Sox, a Unix / Linux utility for this. This is what I used for my own notched tracks and the ones that my customers used before I decided to "open source" the process. Happy to help if anyone has questions.

19. RoyZ
      Wishful

RoyZ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown or new bass guitar playing (in med volume)
      @SoulStation, @earflappin, @sunmoon, @RobC, @Sparks60, @john2012, @NeoM

You don't need to record anything from the generalfuzz webpage.

You can create your own file "automatically" by this extremely light software package (64 Kilobytes) for windows which is very easy to use.
      This software let's you create a file with almost the same random sounds you can get from the general fuzz page, it's just a drop different, not sure which one is closer to the research.
      the sounds are matched to your T frequency, that you put in and in any length of time that you'll want (like an hour or 10).

You can find the zipped file here.
      Instructions (super easy):

1. Extract the package content (Right click the file and "extract to.." somewhere.)
      2. execute the file named "TinnitusCR"
      3. enter your T frequency (and "Enter").
      4. type 80 to set the volume to 80% (or any other number like 50)
      5. type "n" for no stereo randomization.
      6. type 3 for 3 "on" cycles.
      7. type 2 for 2 "off" cycles.
      8. type 1.5 for 1.5Hz of cycle frequency.
      9. type "n" for not mixing in another frequency.
      10. type the amount of hours you want (I went with "1",if you want more you just play it again)
      11. give the file a name like: "9600Hz_ACRN_1Hour"

You got it! now you can play the file on your computer or copy it to your phone, mp3 player or whatever..

if your device won't play .wav files, you will need to make some extra steps and convert it to mp3 using audacity,
      it's very simple but you should have a not so large file so it wont take a long time to convert, an hour is ok:

1. If you haven't done it before, download and install the "lame encoder",
      found on the lower part of this page by the name of Lame_v3.99.3_for_Windows.exe.
      this "extension" will let you export mp3 files from audacity, just install it and your done.
      2. after you've installed it, just open audacity.
      3. go to "File"->"Open"-> select the .wav file
      4. once it loaded click "file"->"Export"-> give it a name
      5. change the "save as type" to "mp3"
      6. click "options", have the Bit Rate mode stand on "constant", choose the quality of 192kbps and select "Stereo"
      7. click "save" and then "OK" on the pop up box unless you want to give it ID3 tags like artist etc'.

Now you got your mp3 file, try it on your device, good luck and be well..

Roy.

• Informative Informative x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    20. TwinGlocks

TwinGlocks Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/20/2013
      The sliders are not appearing on the page in Chrome anymore! Only Opera works now.

21. RoyZ
      Wishful

RoyZ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @TwinGlocks, You are right....

I wrote "generalfuzz" about it a minute ago:

*****************************************************************************************************
      Hello.. How are you doing friend?

Your http://generalfuzz.com/acrn/ page is very very helpful!
      Though it doesn't work at all now, not even on Chrome. that happened in the last few days.
      "TwinGlocks" on the forum said it is working on opera. (I don't have opera installed)
      any way that you can fix it soon? do you need help with it? I am also an intermediate web developer.
      it's a little wired it stoped working like that, is sounds to me like there was something in the browser itself that got updated that effects the page. since jquery and css should have worked "forever".

if you'll need help from me, I am here, if you can take care of it soon by your own too, that would be nice!

Thanks a lot!

RoyZ (TinnitusTalk)
      *****************************************************************************************************

22. Freddie
      Worried

Freddie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      27/11/2013
      Has anyone here used the audio notch site at all and can anyone give any reports as to it being any good at all as the theory of what it does seems to get pretty good press and seen some reasonably good editorial press out there but I don't see many reports of it here on T Talk. I tried earlier to get a frequency match with my T on their soft ware but as my noise is very hissy I found it really hard to get a similar tone.?

So would be great to hear if anyone has had any reasonable results with this and any advise on how to match a hissing noise please ?

Thank you

23. Zechariah

Zechariah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      @Freddie Will be hard to match to hissing noise. All you can do is to hit as near as possible to T's center. ACRN is ment more for tonal tinnitus. Additionally I haven't heard/red too many success stories eaither with ACRN. Many ppl on this forum seem to report some temporary relief or relief while listening to it.

Btw, does anyone feel "exhaustion" or "stuffyness" like pressure changes in elevator/aeroplane when you listen to ACRN over 6 hours a day. Ive had some 8-9 hours session almost in a row and Im feeling something like that. Same happens with @Steve 's youtube-track "Acoustic Neuromodulation - descending 5ths" (
      Acoustic Neuromodulation - descending 5ths
      ).

24. RoyZ
      Wishful

RoyZ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @generalfuzz, of course, how could I not think of tagging you..
      we need your solution! :dunno:
      (see 3 posts up)

25. generalfuzz

generalfuzz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxic reaction to relafen
      Yup - its broken in new version of chrome. I took a quick look - its breaking in a deeper layer of the code. I don't really have time to look into this. The source code is available on github: https://github.com/generalfuzz/acrn. If anyone gets around to fixing this, I'm happy to update the code hosted on my website.

26. RoyZ
      Wishful

RoyZ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @generalfuzz I don't realy have time either these days, but if i'll find some time..
      I still didn't look at the code, so it will take me some time to figure everything out.
      could you tell me where did you find the issue- to save some time if i'll get to it?
      a general direction will be good too. Thanks :)

27. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      If you listen to anything that long you'll get the same effect on your ears. It's a kind of a fatigue thing.

Only listen for a maximum 6 hours per day, and try to break up the listening periods too so it isn't in one long sitting.

We're still waiting for the clinical trial data to come out on this treatment, very interested to know what (if any) the success rates are.

28. generalfuzz

generalfuzz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxic reaction to relafen
      The issue should be fixed now.

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    29. Mikel

Mikel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      I've been using it for several days and even if the sound is annoying and can be tiresome it does give some temporary relief at least.
      I used the software which Royz posted and copied the mp3 file to my phone. If my tinnitus gets too loud at night it also helps me to sleep.

30. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced