Acoustic CR® Neuromodulation: Do It Yourself Guide

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by jibs, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Edward

Edward Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      According to these two sets of actual frequencies, Excel estimates the formula for f1 to f4 as the followings:
      f1=0.773*T-44.5
      f2=0.903*T-21.5
      f3=1.09*T+52
      f4=1.395*T+26.5

For example, if your tinnitus is 5000Hz, then your f1 to f4 should be:
      f1=0.773*5000-44.5=3820
      f2=0.903*5000-21.5=4493
      f3=1.09*5000+52=5502
      f4=1.395*5000+26.5=7001

Please note that these estimations are only based on two sets of data, so they may not be accurate.

2. Kristof

Kristof Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6 months
      The ACR headphones, can they be bought?...

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    3. Eric N

Eric N Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012, 03/2016, 05/2017, 05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + 3 major increases via (shouting / MRI/ flu+Tylenol)
      Hey all
      are the calculations in the first post incorrect?

Tone 1 will be (tinnitus frequency - 900hz)
      Tone 2 will be (tinnitus frequency - 400hz)
      Tone 3 will be (tinnitus frequency + 400hz)
      Tone 4 will be (tinnitus frequency +1500hz)

I have many T frequencies
      what would be the the calculations for 1166 Hz?

4. generalfuzz

generalfuzz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxic reaction to relafen
      Hi all,

I've been lurking on this site for a few months. This thread inspired me to build a web page that implements the ACRN protocol: http://generalfuzz.net/acrn/ - Hope people find it useful - if nothing else, it should give you an idea what ACRN is like. Feedback and suggestions are very welcome.

Thanks,
      GF

• Like Like x 5
      • Winner Winner x 4
    5. James White
      Anime

James White Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe loud music. Not sure.

haha this is exactly what i wanted to start working on ! great job, so the sound is generated by the browser ? (sorry for the tech stuff)

6. generalfuzz

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks. The sound is generated in the browser using the audiolet javascript library. It took me a while to figure out how to use it correctly.

• Like Like x 1
    7. hannah

hannah Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2010
      i am totally lost in following the technical part of this thread but my tinnitus is around 8hz
      thanks

8. Edward

Edward Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      jibs's original calculation:_____ Excel's calculaton:
      Tone 1=3900-900=3000 _____Tone 1=0.773*3900-44.5=2970
      Tone 2=3900-400=3500 _____Tone 2=0.903*3900-21.5=3500
      Tone 3=3900+400=4300 _____Tone 3=1.09*3900+52=4303
      Tone 4=3900+1500=5400 ____Tone 4=1.395*3900+26.5=5467

Note how similar the results are. It seems to provide some more justification for Excel's calculation.

9. juanmb

juanmb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/8/2013
      Hello, first post, just a quick question, should we listen to this in both ears or just the troublesome one?

Oh and does it happen to you that after listening to this, for a while the beeeep turns into a shhhhh (well maybe 5% beeep too)--- like the sound of a water heater. Thanks!

ps-- oh oh! one more! Is it ok to listen with the stereo (home theatre in my case) or are headphones the only way to go.

10. Edward

Edward Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Hi juanmb,

You should listen to it in both ears.

Yes, and (according to my experience) that means it is working. Congratulations.

I don't know. But you better use earphone, because you should use it as least 4 hours a day.

11. stargazer

stargazer Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      @Steve
      Can you upload a sound sample captured from your device?

12. juanmb

juanmb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/8/2013
      Just some things I want to vent out... :p It was really working, It was getting really quiet . but then today I was waken up at 2am by a really loud tinnitus.. like the first day.. quite scary! and got me nervous all day. did that ever happened to you?

I haven't been able too sleep much later, but I think it's the meds they gave me (pentoxifylline). What was weird was that even though I could not sleep much (intervals of 1-2 hours), when I was laying in bed, troubled ear side down, if I put my finger on the "cap" of the ear, the T would be loud at first, but then it would gradually get down till it was completely off, but it was impossible to sleep like that. So I moved and it gradually came back.

13. david c

david c Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      Hi I'd be careful listening with headphones - they are of course a principal cause of tinnitus and having the sound going too loud can easily make existing tinnitus worse.

• Like Like x 1
    14. Edward

Edward Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Hi juanmb. I suggest you stop eating pentoxifylline or any medicine which increases blood flow, because they will only make your tinnitus worse.
      Sleeping is very important for tinnitus sufferers. If you can not sleep well, you might be experiencing anxiety (many tinnitus sufferers experience it). Go to see a doctor and ask for anti-anxiety drug, which will make you sleep better or even lessen your tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
    15. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      @juanmb The same thing happened to me on the treatment, one night i woke up with a horrendously loud noise, which was incredibly distressing. They were confused about this when I mentioned it to the people running the trial.

The sound is supposed to be listened to with in-ear earphones, though I don't suppose it matters too much. This was to let the patient use the device in any situation without effecting hearing ability. You are supposed to have the volume at a level where you can just hear it but it does not distract you - you should easily be able to forget about it when listening.

@stargazer File is below from the actual treatment, left and right side are different, one is for 5500Hz, the other for 6500Hz.

Attached Files:

16. Dhaval
      Buzzed

Dhaval Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 months
      @Steve, @juanmb

Did you also notice that somehow your hearing was over sensitive when the loud noise happened. And did it go back down to the level you had achieved or were you at square1 again.

17. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It was completely silent when it happened to me so I'm not sure, although it felt more like a dullness in my ear. It lasted quite a while, but when it stopped it went down to the level that it was before it happened. No change.

18. generalfuzz

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      So you can set different frequencies for each ear?

19. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes. I was of interest to the study as I have a different frequency in each ear, I got the impression that this was a new test for the device so we won't know how successful it is for more than one frequency until the trial data is published. It didn't work at all for me, but I'm just one person.

20. Dhaval
      Buzzed

Dhaval Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 months
      Wow that's too bad that after reaching silence this happened. Actually I am surprised if you achieved silence were you still requtired to continue treatment?.

Hope you are faring better.....are you going to attempt it again in the future? I've got a different set of frequencies in both ears too...can't make no head no tail of Whts goin on.

21. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Don't think I wrote that very well, the tinnitus wasn't silent, in fact it was worse than when I started the treatment. I meant that it was silent in my house so I didn't know if I was more sensitive to sound.

22. Dhaval
      Buzzed

Dhaval Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 months
      Oh! Ok got it.
      But still I am intrigued. What if only one ear was targeted afterall the ears do function separately although sound is finally interpreted centrally. One should think they could be or rather should be targeted separately since whatever imbalance or damage is separate.

23. Leo1994
      Suicidal

Leo1994 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Does this work exactly as http://www.thetinnitusclinic.co.uk/ .? Im serius thinking about going to uk to get the treatment..
      Im having a hard time finding out what frekvenz my tinnitus is, anny tips?

24. generalfuzz

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      • Like Like x 1
    25. Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      Hi All:

I have been watching this thread with mounting interest. Has anyone here (at TT) actually benefited from this treatment protocol?

The fact that specific sounds can induce or exacerbate tinnitus in some people makes me believe that noise at the right frequency can inhibit tinnitus in select individuals. In another thread, several members (including myself) describe being able to inhibit tinnitus by taking a shower. I wonder whether these people would be good candidates for Neuromodulation. I understand that residual inhibition ("RI") is a separate phenomenon from what is being discussed here; but perhaps susceptibility to RI is a predictor for success using Neuromodulation. Thoughts anyone?

-Golly

26. inadmin

inadmin Member

I'm waiting for Steve to answer my PM, then I'm going to try this.

27. object16
      Magical

object16 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      overuse of hearing protection, plus noise
      Hi, my daughter set me up with a file based at 4090 - I also have quiet white noise on my desk, and a bit of ventilation sound in my office.
      So the volume is set quietly, I understand - slightly less than the level of the tinnitus? am I doing this right so far?
      Also, I listen to this for 8 hours straight while working in the office - ?correct - thanks, paul.

28. Pum
      Fine

Pum Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2010
      ANM in Germany (selling & producing the neuro stimulator much talked about here) is currently filing for bankruptcy. First heard it from my doc in Germany, and verified with ANM directly over the phone the other week. Was told by ANM lady that they are "looking at a re-start in some shape or form", but nothing decided yet. My doc says that ANM wrote them a letter about their imminent bankruptcy a couple of weeks ago, adding that for the time being qualified medics can still rely on ANM services - whatever that will mean in future ;-)

I had good benefits from treatment with the ANM stimulator in 2010 -2011 (my Herz frequency went down by 50% and decibel also stayed structurally lower). The whole therapy was certainly costly and logistically complex (I live in Holland, but the doc is in Germany), but it did help me significantly.

Since a couple of weeks though I'm suffering from hard tinnitus tone again. Just started stimulation with the ANM modulator again, and obviously hoping for good results again (without device problems, given ANM's apparently bad company situation...).

• Funny Funny x 1
    29. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Pum,

That's interesting to hear. Is it the whole company (ANM Medical) or just the arm that works with tinnitus? And is there any press release or statement officially yet?

30. Pum
      Fine

Pum Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2010
      Not sure on the details yet, from what I know ANM Medical is Tinnitus only, so it would be whole company affected I would think. No word on their website yet, and no official public statement either - apart from the mentioned letter to the affiliated medics.

@Steve: are you still in the treatment trial with them, and if so - how are your results so far?