Acoustic CR® Neuromodulation: Do It Yourself Guide

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by jibs, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Map
      Balanced

Map Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2003 (mild), 12/2012 (loud), 11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I am still listening to Steve's "Musical neuromodulation tones" for at least 1 hour daily. It still gives me relief, but it is unfortunately still only temporary. I didn't notice any worsening or negative effects from listening to these tones.

This sequence becomes little boring, but I will continue to listen :)

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jibs
      Studious

jibs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      long time ago
      The trials wants 4-6 hours a day.

3. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      I'll get back to the requests for tone sequences soon. I've got the appointment where I find out if I'm on real or placebo tomorrow so I'll be able to analyse my device and know definitely what the tone sequence is.

4. michalCZ

michalCZ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I reduced volume ( 3500Hz sound ) after 3weeks listening from 10/10 to 8/10 on my mp3 scale with the same effect - change of the whistling to noise like a seashell. It's interesting, but I do not know if it's possible or it themselves to believe. I´m listening the sound avareage 1-2 hours per day.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jibs
      Studious

jibs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      long time ago
      A seashell must be nice. Almost soothing in the quiet.

6. david c

david c Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      I have the same reaction as Map - it is good to listen to those tones for a short period as it does seem to interrupt the tinnitus. But I don't think it has anything more than a temporary effect and it would drive you mad to have to listen to that for four hours a day.Will be good to find out Steve which device you're on anyway.

7. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just back from my appointment and I was in the treatment group.

I now know that I have the correct tone sequences for 5500Hz and 6500Hz so I can analyse the sounds and see what frequency relationship they have and, along with the other data on here, figure out the correct formula. It may take me a little bit of time to create the new sequences but I'll post back when I do.

• Like Like x 3
    8. posh101

posh101 Member

Hows it going guys anyone heard any results?

9. Sven
      Fine

Sven Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      @Steve

I tried listening to it just now and I wonder how I know which is my frequency? Do I have do recognize it as familiar to me, or will something "happen" in my ears? I get a little tingle in my ears after around 10,000 and I can't hear the one at 16,000. Only when a pulse ends, because then it makes a little "off/on-sound".

10. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      You need to recognize it as being familiar to you.

Usually nothing is "felt" per se when tinnitus frequency is matched; instead, when you think the pitch of the external sound matches the one in your ears or head, that's usually approximately your tinnitus pitch.

11. Sven
      Fine

Sven Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Boy, that was hard... I can't actually say. I do have a few different tones, but it's still hard to match, I think.

Also, now that my T has worsened as it seems, the tone hasn't changed, I think. Just its volume.

12. Marton

Marton Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Hello everyone!
      Im relatively new to tinnitus, and i find this thread very interesting. is that mean basically that if I get my T frequency right, I could possibly have the same effect as with the device or is there a bit more to the device? :)
      thanks!

13. Vkis

Vkis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/16/2012
      Hi/ Steve/ I was worrying about you/ Have you returned to normal now?

14. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Vkis. I'm not back to normal yet unfortunately, I totally stopped using the device about 3 weeks ago. It is gradually returning to what it was like before, just taking its time is all.

15. Richard Warren

Richard Warren Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I have been working on a little program to produce various squeeks, beeps, and tones to help me figure out the base frequency of my T (about 6860 Hz). Over the past few weeks this program has grown so that it implements the ACRN protocol at any frequency you like (2000-10000 Hz). It also procudes WAV or MP3 files of any length. I have uploaded a small mp3 sample for 6863 Hz.

I would appreciate feed back on this. Did I mess up the ACRN protocol? Please let me know and I will fix it.

It is my intention to release this program to the T community under the GNU open source licence. It is my hope that T comunity can use this or similar tools to explore the limits of the ACRN protocol and post information as to what works and what does not.

I do not use MS windows. The program which I call ACoRN was developed in Perl using the Linux OS. I am not really interested in porting this over to windows. I would be willing to consult with a windows guru...

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    16. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Nice @Richard Warren!

We seem to boast a few technically knowledgeable fellas! First this DIY ACR, then the tutorials for self-made audio notching, etc. It's great!

Welcome to the forums!

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jibs
      Studious

jibs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      long time ago
      Any updates steve on a more accurate sequence?

Very disappointing to hear it coming back though T_T

Richard if you do decide to release, please post here. If someone is serious about a cure they can easily make a virtual machine running linux to use it.

18. Henry Oakley

Henry Oakley Member

Hi Steve, I was just about to start programming my own ACR like generator using PureData or Max, based on the info in the paper by Peter Tass (attached). The trouble is, it doesn't give enough info on frequency periods.

When talking about frequency, it says that the 4 tones (f1-f4) in the sequence range from 0.5ft (ft is your tinnitus frequency, so 0.5 times your tinnitus frequency) to 2ft (so 2 times your tinnitus frequency). It says that the tones are equidistantly placed on a logarithmic scale between the two extremes, so have equal distance between each on the scale, but it doesn't say what the logarithmic scale is (or rather what base they are using?) - it could be anything - or even if they start the intervals dead on 0.5ft up to 2ft. It could be anywhere in between. But it means it will definitely be a different period for each ft frequency, so isn't as simple as -1000KHz -500KHz +500KHz +1000KHz or similar.

It says timings are kept within the lower delta regions and are it 1.5Hz per cycle, which means the 4 notes should be evenly spread across 0.666 (recurring) of a second, so each tone should last 0.166 (recurring) second.

I think without the proper frequency logarithm, it will be impossible to replicate.

Also, the mp3s you have put up for download seem to have some aliasing or some other distortion (perhaps from the mp3 conversion, perhaps from Reason?) which is generating a lot of harmonics around each tone. With the higher frequencies too, the ADSR on your sampler is set to open too quickly, resulting in each note's attack starting with a clicking artefact which will inhibit the perceptibility of the tone - it may just be a DC offset - you could try increasing the attack by a few ms until this disappears.

I'm really interested in getting a DIY ACR model up and working, but it looks like it could be pretty challenging.

Best,

Henry

Attached Files:

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. Dhaval
      Buzzed

Dhaval Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 months
      Hi
      Hi...I've been having multiple tonal tinnitus since past 4 months.....I think I hav several tones.I hv been considering acr. Also there is this ultraquiet device which uses ultrasound for tinnitus relief.....does any 1 know of this u can Google it. Have u any suggestions on which is better.

Really struggling guys....any help or advice is most welcome will update on my frequencies too.

Just 1 last word I've been using notched white noise from audnotch. While it works some times I m nt sure if it's gud for multiple frequencies please any help will greatly appreciated....I hope to contribute a lot more....I 've been using 8115....almost always seems to work in some tones...but does bring out a v high frequency tone....donno wat to do.

20. Richard Warren

Richard Warren Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Henry --

I appreciate your feedback. My program allows the user to manually set the four frequency offsets. Currently, the offsets are limited to +/- 2500Hz, not depending on the base T frequency. The tone period is also adjustable from 0 to 1 seconds defaulting at 0.15sec. These ranges are easy to change.

I do not allow an independent setting for each of the four tone periods, only the frequency offsets from the base, but this too would be easy to add.

As luck would have it, I am by training a mathematician. Spacing the four tones equidistantly on a logarithmic scale between 0.5T and 2.0T (T = tinnitus base freq) makes sense to me. I will include this with the next version of my software. Can you point me to a written source for this information?

I assume that the "ADSR" is a control that will allow the tones to gradually be brought up to full volume ("gradually" means a few tens of milliseconds) and gradually back down to zero volume when the tone turns off. This too is an adjustable parameter in the current version of the software. I am presently doing a linear fade-in and fade-out for each tone as it begins and ends.

I notice that the pictorial representations of the tones in the ACRN DIY documents are not ramped linearly. They seem to be rounded at the top. I will implement a fancier form of fade-in/fade-out (a "stretched" quarter circle).

The distortions in the audio output concern me too. I am NOT sampling anything. I am mathematically calculating the raw "sample" points. The highest sample rate that is compatible with the sound tools (SOX, aplay, lame) that I use to produce audio and file output is 192000 samples per second. This means that at 10kHz, each full sin wave will have only 19.2 calculated "sample" points. This is pretty crude, introducing lots of high frequency noise.

I am changing the name of this software to avoid possible legal problems relating to copyright and patent. My girlfriend is urging me to call it "Mr. T's Buzz Box". She has a lot of influence...

• Like Like x 1
    21. Richard Warren

Richard Warren Member

Tinnitus Since:
      ------------

For the past week I have been trying to get this software running under Win7 using ActiveState perl. My Win7 machine is virtual. I agree that it would be easier to go the other way, running a virtual Linux machine with Win7 as the host.

Maybe I'll install VirtualBox on my virtual Win7 machine and then install Linux "double virtually" and see what happens.

I know that VirtualBox is available for Win7 for free!

22. Richard Warren

Richard Warren Member

Tinnitus Since:
      ========
      Henry --

I really thank you for putting me onto the manner in which tone frequencys are determined. I have written a little perl script to compute these tonal frequencys.

I have uploaded this program and a table of base and tonal frequencys.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    23. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wow Henry and Richard,

This thread is really moving on! Seem to have missed the updates.

I have to say that I am approaching this from a musicians perspective, I think that the treatment is a mathematical exercise though. I do still feel that if it is encouraging neurons to fire independently, our western brains are wired from birth to the equal temperament scale. So it feels more natural (to me) to have musical intervals, or at least intervals that feel related, something less jarring to our sound perception. But that could just be me of course.

I haven't had the time to sit down and analyse the tones yet. I'll record the device and upload here soon, I have the actual sequence based around 5500 and 6500 so if you have software to analyse the Hertz values that should give a fairly solid point to benchmark your sequence to.

Richard,

Mr T's Buzz Box is really progressing. The actual device for ANM is pretty poor quality - I'd be surprised it if it was operating at anything over 48Khz. I guess that you will have a much more precise device at 192Khz.

ADSR is Attack, Decay, Sustain, Release. It's a sampler and synthesiser thing. You're right in assuming it means that the tones have a fade in and out to copy. Timing wise I have it matched at 90BPM, using 16th notes, note - space - note - space etc.

24. Dhaval
      Buzzed

Dhaval Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 months
      Hi

I hope your work is progressing nicely. Jus wanted to know can u still generate the t files for ACRN. Would you help me out with a file pls...I ve been dying to try anything tht will just bring some semblance of normalcy in my life.....really rreally struggling.

Thanx a mil

25. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sorry it's taken so long, here are the frequencies for the 5500 and 6500 patterns:

5500Hz pattern
      6500Hz pattern
      Hopefully this will help to prove or make the mathematical calculations easier to nail down.
      @Dhaval I have tones in 100Hz intervals so I can't really replicate the treatment, I can come relatively close though if you want to tell me your frequency. I'm sure it won't be long until a proper copy of the tone generator is on here though.

• Like Like x 2
    26. Edward

Edward Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Richard,
      Many thanks. The table of base and tonal frequencies is very useful. Could you upload a more comprehensive table for frf 2.0, ranging from base 1000 to 5800 would be perfect. I ask because I don't know now to use your program. Thank you very much.

27. Dhaval
      Buzzed

Dhaval Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 months
      @Steve

Hi welcome back...hope u had a gr8 vacation....jus wanted to kno wat do u think I cn do for multiple tones in both ears...I get a v high frequency 13.5 k in my right ear and a bunch of lower frequencies in d left. Although 8115 seems to help in notched white noise......over all ....sigh....it's just hard.....any suggestions how I can approach dis.

Oh and just a bit off topic here but like how do u guys I.e. @Markku, u and @Steve cope....did is just driving me insane .

All help welcome...its really loud in my right. Sitting in front of d comph Wid notched white noise at 16k.....seems to mask well...

Thanks a ton

28. Edward

Edward Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Steve,
      Many thanks for posting the actual frequencies for 5500Hz and 6500Hz, which I think are very valuable.

I found some interesting pattern here:
      5500/4207=1.30734490135, 5500/4945=1.11223458038, 6047/5500=1.09945454545, 7699/5500=1.39981818181;
      6500/4980=1.3052208835, 6500/5848=1.111491108071, 7137/6500 =1.0980000000, 9094/6500=1.3990769230.
      We can see that the quotients for 5500Hz and 6500Hz are very similar, though a little bigger.

If only anyone can post one more set of actual frequencies, we may be able to estimate the actual frequencies for other T.

• Like Like x 1
    29. Dhaval
      Buzzed

Dhaval Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 months
      @Edward : Incredible , how you guys have figured this out, wish you all the best:)

30. stargazer

stargazer Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Here is my attempt at the spacing formula. The study says "The stimulation tones are equidistantly placed on a logarithmic scale within the interval [0.5·ft , 2·ft] for G1 to G4", f1 - f12. I put together a spread sheet to calculate this as I understand it. What I don't know is if the intervals include or exclude .5ft and 2ft, so I included both options in the spreadsheet. Also, it appears to show in the diagram on page 140 which frequencies of the 12 were chosen for G1,G3,G4. I bolded these in the spreadsheet. Just change Ft and it should recalculate. I did notice that these do not quite match up with Steve's frequency samples. Thoughts...?

Attached Files: