Alcohol Quiets Down My Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by Tom Cnyc, Aug 21, 2016.

1. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Too much alcohol results in tinnitus with a hangover - not good. Just enough - a pleasant feeling of relaxation which reduces perception of tinnitus, often a good sleep which is refreshing in itself. Alcohol in the right doses is definitely a boon.

2. Paul10

Paul10 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Currently one beer down, no lessening of T. The "experiment" goes on.

3. Paul10

Paul10 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      4 beers down, no change. Or maybe a little? Let's add some prescription meds into the mix.

• Funny Funny x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    4. Rubenslash

Rubenslash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad decisions
      Try with vodka, beer is nothing ;)

• Like Like x 1
    5. Paul10

Paul10 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      haha I'll do that on Phase II tomorrow, this is all for science of course! 5 beers + a little anti-anxiety pill. Not drunk, so maybe that's why it's not working. Or maybe it is. I don't feel like throwing myself out the window anymore, so that's a plus. Think I may as well open the cupboard and throw a few ginkgos in there - the biggest waste of money in the T community, but we all buy it!

• Like Like x 1
    6. Paul10

Paul10 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Well - 6 beers and 2 mild anti-anxiety pills down and I can say that T seems SLIGHTLY down, but I think that's just down to not caring as much, which is a plus since I was ready to stick my head in the microwave beforehand.

Conclusion - beer relaxes, but more testing needed on alcohol. Will try liquor tomorrow. God bless science!

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    7. Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
      Alcohol (tequila, rhum or whiskey but nor beer) brings my T down, but I don't want to be a raging alcoholic on top of everything else I have going on now.

• Like Like x 1
    8. JurgenG
      Approved

JurgenG Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure / headphone accident maybe?
      Alcohol makes my T louder. But since it's temporary I don't really care.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Yes I mentioned it to a doctor , he said " thats interesting" and then I paid him for his "services".

I would think it implies something that my completely goes away with alcohol , but I dont have the knowledge so ?

10. maltese
      Batty

maltese Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Club
      I think I overdid it a bit, I was drinking on Saturday and I'm still hangover lolz

11. Bidyut saha
      Cloud9

Bidyut saha Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I remember after experiment of saffron our little benifits were same:). Now, to see ur experience about alcohol I m afraid to try but I will. Just want to get some relief anyhow..

12. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Yep, I need 2-3 beers to affect it , 5-6 get a bit drunk and my T is gone ,completely !

• Like Like x 1
    13. Jake007

Jake007 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss for long time, chainsaw, infections
      I'd be cured if that was the case for me

14. dgray

dgray Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, High Frequency Hearing Loss
      How are you doing my friend?

15. Jake007

Jake007 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss for long time, chainsaw, infections
      Good when I sleep, not so good when don't. How are you?

16. JurgenG
      Approved

JurgenG Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure / headphone accident maybe?
      Typical nanny-state guidelines. These are just overall guidelines and have nothing to do with a permanent increase of T. I really wouldn't look away from alcohol if you like it. We already tend to abstain from a lot of things thanks to T, especially the first months. So don't add anything that has no impact.

17. Joanne Philps
      Alienated

Joanne Philps Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flight
      It's the only way I ever get any sleep, I drink vodka but have changed the coke to lemonade because of the caffeine , I don't want to drink every night but the nights I don't I lay there with whistles and generators in my ears and get up at 2 a.m in a rage , so might as well have a few and get a nights sleep, sorry liver, but it's that or jump of a bridge!

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    18. Fernando81
      Alone

Fernando81 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      anxiety - stress
      Hello buddies!
      Alcohol helps me a lot. I have a glass or two of red wine every night while cooking and having dinner. I smoke tobbaco too. Four cigarrettes. Play some relaxing music or natural sounds at low volume. An for dessert, i gave my self a little shof ot scotch whiskey with two ices. Then get a bath and go to bed. I usually sleep 7 or 8 hours without any anti-anxiety pill. Alcohol helps me chill out, mild my nervous system, feel better and do not mind about my T. If i drink too much, next day with the hangover my T gets worse because i feel horrible and get very anxious.
      Alcohol with measure for me is a blessing. It definitely helps me and i will enjoy it until my final days.
      I try to enjoy every day as if it were my last, because i know that one of these will be.
      God bless you all!

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    19. Bidyut saha
      Cloud9

Bidyut saha Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I m surprised really to know that some dangerous and harmful things also could help sometimes to live!!!

• Like Like x 1
    20. Fernando81
      Alone

Fernando81 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      anxiety - stress
      Excess of everything is harmful. Even water.

• Agree Agree x 2
    21. Paul10

Paul10 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Yup; it's all trial and error based on individual experiences.

22. Joanne Philps
      Alienated

Joanne Philps Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flight
      Well with me it's either the liver ( which regenerates) or a heart attack with the stress of this noise in my ears and the walking on a bouncy castle all day long, never been the best of sleepers anyway but the alcohol is the only way to get some other than taking a drill to my ears or as I said earlier jumping off a bridge!

• Hug Hug x 1
    23. Paul10

Paul10 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      @Joanne Philps have you tried sleeping medication? Perhaps a short course of medication would be good to get you off to sleep. @glynis is great for advise on relaxation.

• Like Like x 1
    24. ryant

ryant Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Not sure if alcohol actually reduces tinnitus symptoms, it does seem to help distract the mind, or perhaps to dampen the sensory system. I know when I've had a couple of beers I'm not thinking about tinnitus. But i don't think it shouldn't be used as a crutch, especially daily. Not many people know this but alcohol can cause peripheral nerve damage in your legs, feet, hand, arms. It's similar to what a lot of people with uncontrolled diabetes get. And just like tinnitus there isn't a definitive cure and it can become permanent. I know how much tinnitus sucks, I've had it for over a year. But don't let your medicine become a poison. Alcoholic neuropathy is no joke. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3370340/

25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      Gin is the tonic!

Jokes aside of course becoming frank Gallagher is bad. It's Ok for short term to get through the freak out phase though.

Half this board is on Much worse shit.

• Agree Agree x 3
    26. Joanne Philps
      Alienated

Joanne Philps Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flight
      Thanks will try @glynis, am hoping ( aren't we all) that they find something that can be treated on my mri but not holding my breath!

27. Fernando81
      Alone

Fernando81 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      anxiety - stress
      Having a glass or two of red wine daily, is not harmful at all. On the contrary, it is good for heart, blood, depression, colesterol and triglicerids. Measure is the key.
      After having a couple of drinks without being drunk of course, i feel much better, my brains chills and my T vanish.
      It works for me.
      God bless you all!

• Like Like x 3
    28. Fernando81
      Alone

Fernando81 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      anxiety - stress
      Hi Tom, I notice we have the same medicine! HAHAHAHA
      Every night, I have 2 glasses of excellent argentinian red wine, and then for dessert, a shot of scocht with two ices and a couple of cigars. My T vanishes and my mind gets chill. It is a lovely state. Not drunk, but relaxed.

29. devonlee
      Badass

devonlee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing Loss of Unknown Origin
      I find the same thing but at the same time, I'm usually surrounded by people, music and possibly children so all those factors are what make tinnitus barge in like the uninvited guest at the party.

I've treated several patients in my days who have nearly killed themselves with excess water consumption. Diluting your electrolytes isn't something I would suggest.

As for my personal experience with alcohol for tinnitus, I've never used it as a "treatment" per say, at least not consciously making that decision.
      Of course I think the key here is not to use alcohol in excess. I'm a nurse. I've treated several patients with a multitude of issues as a result of excess alcohol consumption. It's not a pretty sight. But I have nothing against having a drink or two to take the edge off. Hell, it's probably better for you than half of the medications that are prescribed to us t sufferers.

• Like Like x 1
    30. dan26
      Frustrated

dan26 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      very bad concussion motorcycle accident
      now u mention that and well after my tinitus started 35 years ago after losing all my hearing in a bike accident. i started drinking a lot. like 3 times a week or more to see if the tinnitus would subside a bit and i could think what my name is. It did help but then you get the shakes and the fast heartbeat and all that hangover crap. I asked the doctor once to shoot some alcohol in my ears to see if it quiets the noises. I was serious. he just laughed at me. I said i felt like myself cause the noises are all i hear. Deafended, so the sounds in my head was what i heard 24/7. CI in 1989. not much help quieting the tinnitus. on and on and on.......