Alcohol Quiets Down My Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by Tom Cnyc, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
      one day later would make sense, - but why 2 days later?:dunno:

2. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      Would rather a beverage than a benzo. It’s more natural and there are no residual effects, as long as it’s in moderation and not every day of course.

3. hans01
      Artistic

hans01 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress, hearing loss, sinus infections, ... ?
      Alcohol definitely make my T worse, especially the day after consuming it, did test again yesterday, T screaming this morning!

4. Rainbowsheep
      Cheerful

Rainbowsheep Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music, I suppose
      Hi guys.
      I'm sorry that I post so much, haha. Anyhow it's just because I've novice something strange. I know alcohol is supposed to make tinnitus worse, however the exact opposite happens to me when I drink alcohol. My tinnitus gets better which would not be strange if it was the night where I drink alcohol, at I suppose being drunk would make you think and care less about T. However my T is magically improved the day after to the point where it is so mild that it is almost undetectable and during the following days it gradually becomes louder and goes back to baseline.

Does this happen to anyone else?

5. illegalmonkey77
      Fine

illegalmonkey77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/20/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely due to fluid in ears, and then it just stuck around.
      For me it seems to help a bit as well initially. However by the time I got to bed, a couple hours later it seems to be a bit louder than normal for awhile. I'll need to do more testing *wink wink*

6. hans01
      Artistic

hans01 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress, hearing loss, sinus infections, ... ?
      I should update this, the other day I was with friends, had a drink and I must admit my T almost completely went down, from 9/10 to 3/10 which was great, it's not the alcohol alone but the good company too in combination helps a lot, feeling comfortable. Unfortunately with alcohol usually the next days or after that things become worse, so something in alcohol makes it worse afterwards. I'm not a big drinker, just occasionally, but wish I could find something that helps with the anxiety in some days it's really hard to cope with it. I don't want to tough benzos, did several natural options but nothing really works perfectly, and I don't want to become addicted at the same time.

7. direct

direct Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise at workplace in many years and the employer's negligence
    8. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      I know this has come up before but it still baffles me. I have multitonal tinnitus. In my left ear loud wavering 2 pitch along with a high hiss. In my right a drone. Whenever I drink a bottle of wine - red, about 12.5 % proof all my tinnitus bar a small amount of the hiss disappears for about 2 or 3 hours. I notice this every time. All tones reappear after this as strongly as before. Surely this must mean the cause of the T is somehow vascular or stress related? If it were due to hairloss in the inner ear this wouldn't happen. Perhaps it is similar to the cessation some people get while on benzos. Could there be a way to provide relief for short periods with some chemical without the intoxifying or addictive effects?

• Good Question Good Question x 3
    9. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
      Interesting thesis that a noise-induced tinnitus with hair cell damage should not react to the changed perceptual conditions caused by alcohol...

10. Ambassador
      Cool

Ambassador Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss and lifetime noise exposure
      Just like benzodiazepines do, there is also evidence for short and long-term modulation of GABAA receptors by drinking alcohol.

11. Bassplayer

Bassplayer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      A little bit of what you like is good for you. If it lifts your mood then that's good, but reliance on it... not so good.

I used to find that there were times I got quite anxious and depressed even though the T was quiet. Yet sometimes my mood was good even though the T was louder.

So T volume isn't the only factor, our mood and stress levels also seem to matter. It never stopped me having a pint in my local pub. Chatting with my mates took my mind off it anyway.

12. BLane
      Dreaming

BLane Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      There must be some difference between benzo's and alcohol's affect on the brain. Benzo's don't do anything to my T, but getting drunk will shut it off temporarily.

• Agree Agree x 2
    13. Mikael

Mikael Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1998
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have no idea
      For me, Alcohol makes tinnitus alot worse.

14. Mathew Gould

Mathew Gould Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      When I have caffeine or something else that makes my tinnitus spike, it's always the next day I wake up when it spikes. I wonder why?

15. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2008 but cured and relapsed from benzos
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      Alcohol potentiates GABA like benzos. Yes it improves tinnitus temporarily but during withdrawal makes it much worse like benzos. Stay away. Your symptoms in the long-term will be worse.

16. bur547

bur547 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise combined with ketoconazole
      I'm a pretty regular drinker (48 beers per week or so), I haven't really noticed any correlation between drinking and T, sometimes when I drink I notice it less, and sometimes the day after drinking it seems a little worse but they are both just blips on the radar. If anything, I can say my T was able to improve slowly over a period of months while I have kept my regular drinking routine, so for anyone scared about a half beer or a glass of wine I wouldn't worry too much. See how you react and don't worry about how it affected someone else.

17. bur547

bur547 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise combined with ketoconazole
      Alright, this is totally anecdotal but I decided to crack some beers last night, for science and all. While I was drinking my tinnitus didn't seem much changed, maybe a little bit louder in fact. Then as the night wound down I popped some melatonin, some vitamin B, and headed to bed. This morning I have noticed a steep drop in my tinnitus, which is great because I've been dealing with a spike in my tinnitus since about 5 days ago. I can't say for sure whether it was the beers or just the timing, I've been taking vitamin B and melatonin over the past week and never woke up with a difference until today. FYI

• Like Like x 1
    18. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Why does getting a little drunk make my tinnitus almost go away? It takes my electronic dog whistle sound and makes it into a quiet refrigerator like sound. Any thoughts?

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. Shelly75

Shelly75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20/07/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Not really sure where to post this but does anyone find that if they have just one beer their tinnitus pretty much disappears?!!

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Would that be some kind of specialty beer that costs about a $1,000 per bottle? Is so, sounds like bargain! ;)

• Like Like x 1
    21. Shelly75

Shelly75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20/07/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Ha! No, plain old lager! It’s completeky faded into the background!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    22. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      alcohol, like benzos, have an effect on gaba receptors

23. robHing

robHing Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Wow ... :beeranimation:

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    24. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      “GABA is the major inhibitory neurotransmitter in the brain, and GABA-like drugs are used to suppress spasms. Alcohol is believed to mimic GABA's effect in the brain, binding to GABA receptors and inhibiting neuronal signaling. “ source

• Informative Informative x 2
    25. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      yeah I get drunk every night because it essentially blots out my T. I drank way too much last night and was super hung over. All day during my hangover my T was basically gone. As I got better my T returned. I've read that GABA has something to do with it. I wonder if there's something about this that could lead to a cure.

• Like Like x 1
    26. echosata

echosata Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      @Autumnly

Does that mean taking those gaba pills at the health food store could help?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    27. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      If they did, I think we'd know by now.

28. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Why does booze seem to quiet my tinnitus while other people get spikes from it? Any ideas?

29. PDodge
      Cowboy

PDodge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bear ate my Cochlea
      Drinking tonight. For Science!. Honestly though since my T got crazier my anxiety has got in the way of drinking, Unless I'm out with some buds then I find the distraction + booze can make it seem like a non-issue and usually stays that way until the next day. Then who knows, my shit is crazy and changes on the daily.

• Agree Agree x 1
    30. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      Same here. I am becoming an alcoholic. I drink every night to reduce my T to mild.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1