AM-102: Auris Medical and KCL Collaborate in Drug Discovery for 2nd Generation Tinnitus Treatment

Discussion in 'Research News' started by svg1204, Oct 23, 2015.

Tags:
    1. svg1204

svg1204 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphones maybe?not sure really.
      ZUG, Switzerland, Oct. 23, 2015 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Auris Medical Holding AG (NASDAQ: EARS), a clinical-stage company dedicated to developing therapeutics that address important unmet medical needs in otolaryngology, today announced a drug discovery collaboration with King's College London, UK. Professor David E. Thurston of the Institute of Pharmaceutical Science will lead a team at King's to develop and optimize a range of specific small molecules for Auris Medical's AM-102 project. The AM-102 compounds bind to a novel, undisclosed drug target for treating certain types of tinnitus. The collaboration project draws on earlier work performed for Auris Medical by the Wolfson Centre for Age-Related Diseases at King's under the leadership of Professor Patrick Doherty and Dr Gareth Williams.

"We are very excited to continue and expand the collaboration for our AM-102 project with King's College London", commented Thomas Meyer, Auris Medical's founder, Chairman and CEO. He added: "Drawing on our research partners' unique experience and great skills in drug discovery, we expect the collaboration to take us one important further step forward towards the development of a potent second generation tinnitus treatment." From the research project Auris Medical aims to select a lead compound for further preclinical and subsequent clinical development. The drug target for AM-102 was identified and validated previously through a collaboration with another leading research institution. It is different from the drug target for AM-101, Auris Medical's late-stage investigational tinnitus treatment.
      Professor Peter Hylands, Head of the Institute of Pharmaceutical Science at King's College London, said: "This latest of a series of commercial collaborations demonstrates the breadth and depth of our research capability and the great demand for our expertise in discovery and development".

About inner ear tinnitus
      Tinnitus, the perception of sound without external acoustic stimulation, is a symptom common to various ear or other diseases. Inner ear tinnitus may be provoked by various injuries to the cochlea, the organ of hearing, such as overexposure to noise or inflammation. It may be short and just transitory; however, it may also become permanent. Tinnitus of less than three months of duration is considered acute, while older tinnitus is considered chronic.

Inner ear tinnitus may be only a slight nuisance, but often it has a serious impact on the ability to sleep, relax, or concentrate, or it may lead to tiredness, irritation, nervousness, despair, frustration, or even depression. As of today, there exists neither a universal standard of care for acute inner ear tinnitus, nor a truly proven, effective treatment method.

Source:
      http://globenewswire.com/news-relea...nd-Generation-Tinnitus-Treatment.html?print=1

LineSeparator.png
      notice.png
      Tinnitus Talk thanks @attheedgeofscience for the following notice about our Facebook update on AM-102:
      An update regarding the AM-102 development from the OP has been shared on Facebook (incl. the direct information that has been supplied by Mr. Meyer, CEO Auris Medical). If you wish to show your support, you can (also) do so via the embedded link below (like/share/comment):

• Informative Informative x 6
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. swc5150

swc5150 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2012
      102 is meant for chronic cases correct?

3. Silvio Sabo
      Pooptoast

Silvio Sabo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise - I think
      Hopefully they are indeed targeting the chronic phase. From that statement it does look promising but it doesn't have to be. They might have found another, perhaps better way to treat the acute phase. I guess we will get to know eventually.

4. exodus
      Cold

exodus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2008
      does anyone know what is the molecule they are working on?

5. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      If anybody here knows, they aren't going to tell you at this point in time.

The below points are directly from the CEO of Auris Medical, Thomas Meyer:

- We have been working for several years on this
      - The target is different from AM-101’s target – we identified it together with our research partner as we gained further insights into the mechanism of tinnitus generation, and it has been validated through numerous tests
      - In vivo / in animal experiments, AM-102 compounds were even more effective than AM-101
      - We are very excited about the prospect of developing a second generation tinnitus treatment that has the potential of even more therapeutic benefits than AM-101
      - The target remains undisclosed for the time being as we are seeking to protect our inventions

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. exodus
      Cold

exodus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2008
      this is sad ,money is priority for those people not the sufferers

7. Bertman
      No Mood

Bertman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concert
      money makes the world go round, always has and always will.

8. wizman

wizman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/1987
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      fireworks
      Is it for acute or chronic ?

9. randomuser

randomuser Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      I bet this is, again, for acute phase, the press release says nothing about chronic t, and mentions specifically acute inner ear t. But I know nothing.

10. wizman

wizman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/1987
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      fireworks
      Acute tinnitus is already a curable condition to my opinion .

11. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Get some trobalt eh?

12. wizman

wizman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/1987
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      fireworks
      I didnt know trobalt 28 years ago

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Veita
      No Mood

Veita Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise from Headphones
      I have had tinnitus for about 4 and a half months now, could you elaborate as to what options I have? I am not sure if this is still considered "acute" but as the window is really just an estimate, I assume anything done soon is better than later.

Note: I was signed up for AM-101 but the doc. told me that steroid injections may be an alternative in which I'd be guaranteed to get the drug within the 3 month window, so I took them, they made it worse, I was banned from the AM-101 trial.

• Hug Hug x 1
    14. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I think @attheedgeofscience mentioned AM-102 was also an intratympanic injection according to inside source, can you confirm this?

15. swc5150

swc5150 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2012
      I believe I read that as well.

16. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      Had an intratympanic injection of cortiosteroids, 52 days after the onset of my sensorineural hearing loss and T. The results were zero, in fact my hearing slightly worsened. They explain the risks before you have the proceedure done, but decided to roll the bones anyway.

It wasn't AM-101, but you have a very small window of opportunity, for a reversal of hearing loss with cortiosteroids, if it is even possible.

17. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      This tells me there is very tight competition on the tinnitus cure race.
      Could it be that Auris Medical had something to do with the Autifony fiasco?
      It would be in the interest of Auris that Aut00063 would be delayed (or cancelled all together) at least until AM102 has caught up. Auris has obviously invested huge amounts of money.
      Whoever releases a drug first will obviously corner the market, am I wrong here?
      I know this is just speculation, but at this point we have nothing to do but speculate.

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      I have never provided "inside information" from Auris Medical (I don't have any). What I have provided is information from financial sources which sometimes contain unusual/hidden information (in the sense that it is not readily available and/or not the first place someone would look for clinical trial information...).

Regarding AM-102, it was first described in the scientific literature back in 2010 by members of the Tinnitus Research Initiative. See attachments which contain very brief mentions of AM-102 and also state that it is an intratympanic application.

attheedgeofscience
      25/OCT/2015.

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 2
    19. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      The route of administration is open at this point, although intratympanic is certainly one of the prime contenders.

Source: Thomas Meyer, CEO of Auris Medical​

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    20. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      All I have to say is; I hope this is for chronic sufferers. Now that Autifony has embarrassingly conducted a trial in the must capricious way possible. Let's hope, that us, chronic sufferers get a piece of the action.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    21. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      This is exciting !

• Agree Agree x 1
    22. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      Yes and no. Whatever happens it is highly unlikely that any one drug will be effective for everybody (I would love to be proven wrong) so the first few drugs to market will probably all do well. I do agree that if I was a shareholder in Auris I would be very happy right now though.

• Agree Agree x 1
    23. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      It won't be, if it's for acute sufferers...Well, it'll be good for them, not us. Fingers crossed, that it's something we can have!

24. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      Well, any progress is exciting :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    25. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I guess...I'm just worried that us chronic sufferers may lose out. We need some good news.

• Agree Agree x 1
    26. Lloyd Carter
      Wishful

Lloyd Carter Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced Trauma
      Confused at where this is at in clinical trials? Which phase? 5 years away from possibly hitting the market? 10?

27. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      It's in preclinical stages, so not even phase 1 yet.

"We have currently two late-stage development programs: AM-101 for the treatment of acute inner ear tinnitus and AM-111 for the treatment of acute inner ear hearing loss. AM-101's therapeutic time window beyond the acute stage is currently being evaluated as part of the TACTT3 clinical trial in Europe. With AM-111 we are planning a clinical trial in Menière's Disease.

Early-stage development programs focus on a second generation tinnitus treatment (AM-102) and a treatment for a major rhinology indication (AM-123)."

http://www.aurismedical.com/product-candidates/pipeline

28. AlecP
      Procrastinating

AlecP Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma (I think)
      So when and where can I sign up for the trials haha? In all seriousness I do live in the UK so presumably the trials will be held here too like for AM-101, when it gets to that stage.

29. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Well, will AM-102 be out before SF? Still a long road to go for either.

30. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      An update regarding the AM-102 development from the OP has been shared on Facebook (incl. the direct information that has been supplied by Mr. Meyer, CEO Auris Medical). If you wish to show your support, you can (also) do so via the embedded link below (like/share/comment):

• Like Like x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1