American Tinnitus Association's Board Chair on NBC TODAY: Is This the Right Message to Send Out?

Discussion in 'Awareness & Fundraising' started by Ed209, Nov 3, 2018.

1. TuxedoCat
      No Mood

TuxedoCat Member Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      high frequency hearing loss
      Do you or anyone you know have the substantiation for this?

There indeed may be 2 populations - one that experienced fleeting or temporary tinnitus for a couple of days after a concert. The other with chronic, permanent tinnitus. I'm fairly certain the definition for tinnitus used for NHANES is that symptoms (ringing) lasting 5 minutes qualifies as having tinnitus. So the distinction is a blur.

Its those with chronic tinnitus that seek out the help of the ATA and BTA, join those organizations, pay dues etc. They should be the primary focus for those organizations.

Those who have experienced temporary tinnitus need to heed the warning. The problem is hearing health is not given the same priority as vision and dental care. Most of us have an annual vision test and eye exam and many go to the dentist every 6 months for a cleaning and exam. We learn about that in the primary grades in school. But no-one does anything about maintaining their ears. And I've been told by an audiologist here in the US, that change will have to start with a grass roots movement because there are turf wars among the 4 agencies that regulate audiology and many levels of audiologists and hearing aid dispensers.

Furthermore, it would be beneficial to talk about avoiding loud noise, etc. to prevent hearing loss and tinnitus. Not just to prevent hearing loss. If that education started at a young age, we probably wouldn't be facing the current uphill battle trying to raise awareness to tinnitus.

ATA are an enigma.

TC

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Winner Winner x 1
    2. Halsy

Halsy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept. 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Abscess tooth
      Yeah, just go and and start reading medical papers on tinnitus. Those numbers aren't absolute fact but they're well substantiated and considered the ballpark for the condition itself and those who have intrusive/debilitating tinnitus. If 10% of humanity had really bad tinnitus it would get more attention and money than anything else in this world. Again, unfortunately for us, we fall into an absolute minority.

Regardless of how your tinnitus came about or persists, the degree of it, or anything else, for most people who have it, it's a minor a problem at best. And because the pathogenesis of the condition is neurological - again, regardless of cause - when you resolve the condition(s) that cause it you resolve the tinnitus - as soon as your brain allows the neural pathways - that maintain tinnitus - to decay. And that's how it works. Barry Keates of Arches suffered from tinnitus for 35 years before it stopped - he's been in remission for over 10 years. Sooner or later it runs out of gas for everyone, it really does.

• Funny Funny x 2
    3. Halsy

Halsy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept. 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Abscess tooth
      Well I wasn't that far off, Greg. And I'd say that 15% really only applies to the first world with our loud cities, concerts, headphones, etc. And yeah, I meant of tinnitus sufferers for whom it's intrusive/disabling it's generally estimated at 1%-2% - which, as I said, is still a metric shit ton of people if consider that to be even 1 percent of humanity - that's still what? 70 million people give or take with severe tinnitus?

Yet against 7 billion people - most of which are worried about shit like cancer and heat disease, Alzheimer's and Parkison's that tinnitus is just a blip on the radar.

It's why the old expression in the tinnitus community exists, "You have to get it, to get it." In the grand scheme of things 1%-2% means it's very uncommon.

4. lymebite
      Vegged out

lymebite Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I would love to see a link or two if you can provide. Not trying to be argumentative, but I have read materials that say the exact opposite, so I would be interested in reading source references to understand this better. For example, there is an article in the current issue of the Hearing Health Foundation magazine (Fall 2018 issue, page 10) that says:

“Primary tinnitus, or tinnitus with an unknown cause, of a duration of at least six months is a usually permanent condition with no cure currently available.”

https://view.publitas.com/p222-4764/hearing-health-fall-2018-issue/page/10-11