Antidepressants (SSRIs, SNRIs, MAOs, TCAs, TeCAs)

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Pat, May 10, 2012.

1. Padraigh Griffin

Padraigh Griffin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Stress
      Legend. Sounds like you have been through a lot buddy. Fair play to keep going. I’m definitely going to ask them to take it slow. 5 mg Lexapro as a start and follow Ashton Manual for Valium taper.

Also, I’m never going above therapeutic dose of an AD again so 10 mg max. I have read it can take up to 12 weeks to have fully kicked in.

I’ve made my mind up. Now I just need to meet an amiable psych.

Thanks again.

2. kingsfan
      Haunting

kingsfan Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      turning everything up to 11
      When I tried out Zoloft, I took the lowest dose pill and cut them into quarters. Just from taking a quarter of the smallest dose I could tell that it was affecting my tinnitus. Since it was such a small dose, it didn't cause anything catastrophic and I just discontinued without at any lasting ill effects.

I know I've mentioned this somewhere else, so if I'm just repeating myself I apologize.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. Uklawyer

Uklawyer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication - antidepressants
      So a clear increase in volume?

I have just taken 5 mg of Amitriptyline. I saw the 1/100 reference to tinnitus.

4. kingsfan
      Haunting

kingsfan Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      turning everything up to 11
      Yes it was clearly louder. I only took 3 doses before I decided I'd had enough.

I took Nortriptyline for 3 months, which is similar to Amitriptyline, and it also raised my tinnitus. I didn't have a choice but to take it at the time as I was suicidal, and it really helped me through that period. About a month after discontinuing, my tinnitus went down to what I felt was below my previous baseline.

5. Padraigh Griffin

Padraigh Griffin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Stress
      Your story is similar to mine. I am genuinely suicidal. I have a plan, etc. I’m hoping that improving my mood will give me resilience. However, I can’t monitor my tinnitus due to its volatility. Like Friday 4/10, Saturday 6/10, today a massive big fat 10/10. It can change inter day as well. No predictability and different tones. I have Middle Ear Myoclonus as well as ‘normal’ tinnitus. If I lived in a country where it’s available, I’d probably apply for VAD. Last throw of dice is psych hospital and back to trying meds that caused it in the first place. If anything, it will just satisfy my wife that I tried everything. I will see what happens.

• Hug Hug x 7
    6. ZFire
      Pacman

ZFire Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 (mild) & 04/2021 (severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity (2012) Unknown-likely noise induce (2021)
      My psych wants me to start tapering off Nortriptyline after 1 year of use. Drug has been pretty useful for me, but I think I want to be drug free now. It has been impacting my workouts negatively for some time now.

I'm going to be tapering down to 40 mg from 50 mg. The 10 mg drop shouldn't be an issue, no? The doctor said it’s fine.

Final review on Nortriptyline:

Pros
      • Made sleep easier
      • Got rid of my brutal migraines
      • Lowered anxiety levels
      • No negative effect on tinnitus
      • Improved mood
      Cons
      • Slightly lower libido
      • Fatigued and feel weak often
      • Needle + tingling sensations in the feet
      • Dry mouth sometimes
      If you have constant migraines, Nortriptyline is worth looking into IMO. It obliterated my migraines to nothing after 1 week of use. I've never had migraines ever on while on it.

• Informative Informative x 2
    7. Nick47

Nick47 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      Sorry to ask again, but who better to ask than someone with experience.

Did this combination change your tinnitus volume or just make you feel better/care less?

As you may gather, I'm struggling like many to decide my route here. I have reactive tinnitus/hyperacusis. The pain element has gone but boiling a kettle sounds like I'm in an electrical firestorm.

Regards,
      Nick

8. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, loud rock concert
      I think it’s a combination of both, it seems to be lower which results in me caring less.

You will never know until you try.

• Like Like x 1
    9. AfroSnowman
      Balanced

AfroSnowman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nonnatural energy source
      Going into a psychiatrist for first time on Thursday to see if we can play with my brain chemistry to improve QoL. All of my problems are really just pain, so no underlying anxiety or depression other than as a side effect of you know.

Thoughts, tips for a novice, things to stay away from? He also does TMS.

I've already tried Clonazepam at different doses and it didn't really do anything for me, even sleep wise.

10. SmallRonnie
      Ape-like

SmallRonnie Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      H since 2018. T since 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Gabapentin works well for some for pain. Lyrica is another name for it.

Personally, I'm taking every anti-inflammitory supplement I can for pain.

Benzos are not a long-term solution. Some antidepressants help pain a lot but sometimes they have strong side effects and are not always a long-term option either.

11. AfroSnowman
      Balanced

AfroSnowman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nonnatural energy source
      Thanks. To be clear, when I refer to pain, I mean the loud piercing screech in my brain.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. SmallRonnie
      Ape-like

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Probably something for anxiety is best then. For sure I would try to get diet and exercise on point first though. And sleep, if that's possible. It all ties in together.

Personally, I want to avoid going back to antidepressants again because I don't see an end to it once it gets started and they sometimes seem to have very bad side effects if taken over years.

Then again, some people are fine taking something like Nortriptyline for 20 years so it could be alright. I'm not even 30 though so I don't want to be taking those drugs for most of my life.

13. Ultra
      Depressed

Ultra Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Lyrica is actually the brand name for another molecule: Pregabalin. Gabapentin and Pregabalin (created as an improved version of Gabapentin by the same lab) do have some similarities, but also some wildly different effects as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. SmallRonnie
      Ape-like

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I thought they were the same thing for so long.

I see people talk about using Gabapentin for pain a lot. Especially nerve pain.

15. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      They can all cause or exacerbate tinnitus.

• Funny Funny x 1
    16. Nick47

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      Or relieve it.

17. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Right, it's a crap shoot. I think it's much safer to try as many non-drug therapies as a person can discover or think of before resorting to drugs that may result in permanently worsened tinnitus. Drugs can be extremely dangerous, and IMHO, should be a last resort, not a first resort, as is usually the case.

• Like Like x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 2
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    18. SmallRonnie
      Ape-like

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I also think a lot of people go straight to drugs too much. My doctor gave me antidepressants very quickly but I'm off them again now.

I'm currently taking a large amount of supplements and they are acting like a mild antidepressant without as many side effects which is much better for me, really.

I recently decided I will try everything I can before going back on to antidepressants again because I don't ever see an end to them if I start again.

• Like Like x 2
    19. Nick47

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      @Mentos, @grate_biff, I had some years old Prochlorperazine left over from labyrinthitis dx years ago. I popped 1 yesterday and my tinnitus has been mild-moderate for 24 hours.

Upshot, there may be more value in dopamine modulators than many here give credence to!

I've mentioned you as you steered me towards this route after your experience with Flupentixol. It's early days though so could just be a milder day I get occasionally.

Having said that, the fact that Prof. Dirk De Ridder likes the dopamine modulators and there is a trial using a dopamine antagonist for COVID-19 induced tinnitus suggests a movement away from the dreaded benzo route that helps many live with tinnitus, but leaves them feeling drugged and deeply depressed.

Fingers crossed!

• Like Like x 1
    20. Mike2022

Mike2022 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic drug use
      I’ve been taking Lexapro 10 mg and Latuda 20 mg for about 2-3 weeks and they have helped my tinnitus tremendously.

Before this I was taking Wellbutrin and the tinnitus was 10/10 screeching badly with some hyperacusis.

Now it is 3/10 and no hyperacusis.

• Like Like x 4
    21. Nick47

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      @Mike2022, do you have hearing loss or noise-induced tinnitus? What made the doctor try Latuda?

22. Mike2022

Mike2022 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic drug use
      My tinnitus is not hearing loss or noise induced. The Latuda was brought on as an alternative to Abilify. I used to take Abilify but it gave me a huge appetite! :)

23. Nick47

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      @Mike2022, hahaha empty fridge syndrome! Did Abilify help as much as the new med? I see Dr. Dirk De Ridder often prescribes it?

24. Diego LR

Diego LR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unkown
      What do you think is helping the most, Latuda or Lepraxo? My tinnitus spiked with Lepraxo 10 mg.

25. Mike2022

Mike2022 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic drug use
      To me it is hard to tell.

I’ve never taken Latuda before, and I am now taking it and my ringing has been much better.

I’ve taken Abilify before and had horrid ringing, depending on what SSRI was paired with it.

I feel like together the two medications (Latuda and Lexapro) are probably working together to help make the tinnitus more of a background noise, rather than the nightmare it was for so long.

Lots of the day goes by and I barely notice my tinnitus now. When I was on Wellbutrin I wanted to jump off a bridge, the tinnitus was so bad.

So long story short, Latuda and Lexapro are helping me. I am doing better than I have with tinnitus in 11 months since I developed severe tinnitus.

Hope this helps, and hope you all can find a small measure of hope in this.

• Winner Winner x 2
    26. Nick47

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      I expect it was the SSRI. In some people they can make the tinnitus worse.

• Like Like x 1
    27. Nick47

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      Serotonergic Regulation of Excitability of Principal Cells of the Dorsal Cochlear Nucleus

Implications for choice of medication.

28. CRGC
      No Mood

CRGC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SNRI/Noise
      Very interesting article. This passage appears specifically interesting to me:
      Could SSRIs/SNRIs then cause or worsen hyperacusis by increasing central gain?

• Agree Agree x 1
    29. Nick47

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      It seems those that stimulate 5HT2A, 5HT2C and 5HT7 can cause excitement.

30. ZFire
      Pacman

ZFire Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 (mild) & 04/2021 (severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity (2012) Unknown-likely noise induce (2021)
      • Like Like x 1