Antidepressants (SSRIs, SNRIs, MAOs, TCAs, TeCAs)

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Pat, May 10, 2012.

1. kingsfan
      Haunting

kingsfan Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      turning everything up to 11
      Oh dang. Yeah I completely forgot about the racing heart-rate thing. I remember waking up in the morning to a heart-rate of 110 or more.

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. TomBradyGOAT

TomBradyGOAT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who knows
      Great to see. I wonder if it is feeling better mentally or just the Flupentixol. They don't prescribe that in America. Please be careful of the long term side effects or side effects that can sow up from antipsychotics.

3. TomBradyGOAT

TomBradyGOAT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who knows
      I know you have been looking for something to kick the depression. Have you tried 5-HTP?

Not condoning the use but doses of 0.05 g of shrooms instead of 0.1 - 0.3 g seem to be helping people, to kick out of a depressive state.

• Like Like x 1
    4. kingsfan
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm very interested in psychedelics.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. TomBradyGOAT

TomBradyGOAT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who knows
      Most people, sick of ADs, even without tinnitus are. Such a poor success rate. I know someone with visual snow and tinnitus and he gets more out of LSD. Wouldn't recommend that if tinnitus is the main issue. LSD has an effect on Dopamine. Dopamine can raise tinnitus. So can Serotonin of course. So I recommend shrooms but start at 0.05 g instead of like 0.2g. The purpose is to get a person functioning again and help give them a lift to start making changes in their life. The shrooms won't make someone instantly happy. But it shouldn't blunt either like antidepressants.

Unfortunately for right now it is about accepting and I do think over time, with sleep, reduction of stress and anxiety, and taking on good habits, the tinnitus will have more good days then bad.

6. kingsfan
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I also think I have ADHD and is contributing to a lot of stress in my life. I've been having a hard time deciding on a psychiatrist. I always have a difficult time with decisions and take ages.

7. TomBradyGOAT

TomBradyGOAT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who knows
      It is weird how long it takes to diagnose ADHD. Everyone thinks it is just people who can't sit still. There are two types. It has a lot to do with executive dysfunction, but executive dysfunction can happen in many illnesses. Possibly LSD might be better. It is trial and error. I am curious about CBDA. CBD does nothing for me. CBDA is supposed to be 10-1000x more potent. It works on 5-HT1A like Buspar. I fear the increase in tinnitus, or basically wasting like 40 dollars.

8. Shizune
      Alone

Shizune Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A curse
      Just a warning about psychedelics, particularly psilocybin/shrooms: I know for me it causes great insomnia. Some people were saying they take it with coffee as a morning pick me up, and it shows. The two attempts I've tried to do the Stamets' stack it's caused me to go about a week getting 4-5 hours sleep max and I never truly felt tired.

For those with really bad tinnitus where sleep is a blessing, I'd proceed with caution. Of course, when I told some others this they thought it was strange. As always, your mileage may vary I guess.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    9. kingsfan
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yea I'm still able to sleep decently as long as I take Melatonin, though apartment life, itself, is not sleep-conducive. I'm more interested in trying a full-on trip, which is why I have been waiting. I don't feel my mental state is quite yet ready.

• Like Like x 1
    10. MatthijsDJ
      Mellow

MatthijsDJ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No root cause found, most likely stress...
      Since aprox a year the psych added quetiapine to help my AD (Clomipramine and low low low dose of Mirtazapine). I take it around 20:00 and it will take care that my thoughts just stop around 23:30 so I can fall a sleep easy.

So even on those days that T is freaking loud it will take care that I ignore the stupid beeeeeeep and can fall a sleep easily.

11. Shelbylynn
      Amused

Shelbylynn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/lifelong music abuse
      I would love to try antidepressants for my depression/anxiety but I'm so nervous to make my tinnitus worse that I haven't sought it out. I definitely feel like a tug of war is going on between my two conditions fighting for priority.

I think if I were to try I would either go with Sertraline (Zoloft) or Lexapro. I have taken Sertraline briefly when I was younger and I didn't have any negative side effects besides sexual complications (but I believe all those pills do that) and at this point that's not my main concern. If I work up the courage to do it I'll definitely update.

To be fair to my tinnitus, the way I got it was from loud noise exposure over time (and it was triggered initially after a loud concert-I had been to many concerts and clubs over years though) and the only medication I've taken that has made it seemingly worse (temporarily) was Tramadol or Ultram. Now The only thing that worries me is that Tramadol has effects on seretonin (damn does it make you feel happy) and so I would hope that isn't what aggravated my tinnitus? I don't know. My tinnitus has been fairly stable the past two years I've had it. I don't want to jeopardize that (and yet I feel like it's a good sign my tinnitus won't be effected), but also I'm tired of having low energy/motivation, irritability, and just general depression/anxiety symptoms.

If you're familiar with me on this forum you know I have a lot of nervous energy and anxiety. This also makes my life hard, maybe even harder than tinnitus or just as hard. I can try to do CBT with myself or exercise but to be honest, not sure if that alone is going to get me where I need to be.

• Like Like x 3
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    12. kingsfan
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Some doctors also prescribe Gabapentin for anxiety, but of course, it can also affect your tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
    13. Loui

Loui Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi Shelbylynn,

I have been on Sertraline more or less since the onset of my tinnitus. It didn't affect my tinnitus level per se. The start was tough with a lot of depressant thoughts. Now I'm tapering because I feel like I have found a way to live with tinnitus, even if I still have good and bad days. I still have anxiety, always had and probably always will. I’m also a restless person and have a hard time to just relax.

I would recommend to try to find a way to live with your comorbidities if it's possible. For me it helps with meditation, workouts, sauna and spending time in nature. If you se no way out then antidepressants could be the solution. Personally, I feel like the natural way probably is the best long term.

Maybe you could discuss this with a psychologist? Maybe they can help with counseling instead of taking antidepressants?

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    14. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Hi @Shelbylynn -- I use a variety of natural approaches to mostly offset some of these same "conditions". The number of non-drug things that can be tried are almost endless, and I think most everybody can personalize their own approaches that could help significantly.

• Like Like x 1
    15. Shelbylynn
      Amused

Shelbylynn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/lifelong music abuse
      Hi! I agree that there are a lot of non-drug approaches. I have been using as many coping skills as I've learned over the years from either therapy or I picked up from self help. I fear I may be in a place with my brain where I may need a little chemical intervention at this point. Mainly because there hasn't been a noticeable change in my condition for a few years.

• Hug Hug x 1
    16. PeanutButter

PeanutButter Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pristiq (desvenlafaxine)
      Pristiq caused my tinnitus. I would never have developed tinnitus if I didn't take Pristiq. My dumb doctor also didn't tell me I shouldn't take 50 mg right away. I hate antidepressants and should have never taken it. Just 3 weeks of taking Pristiq 50 mg gave me permanent severe tinnitus.

Please DO NOT TAKE ANTIDEPRESSANTS. The placebo effect is the same as taking a drug made by a pharmaceutical company for profit. IT'S A SCAM, and they damage your liver, eyes, and especially the brain. I'm sure I have cognitive decline as well in addition to the permanent tinnitus from the ototoxic bullshit they put in those drugs.

I HATE SOCIETY, I HATE CAPITALISM AND THE GOVERNMENT. It's stupid. MDMA and LSD and shrooms need to be a type of therapy.

Out of every one of the drugs I have taken, Pristiq made my depression 100x worse and gave me tinnitus, not to mention the risk in developing PSSD, Not that that matters to me because I can't get a single girl want to have sex with me.

Every time I took MDMA, the world was pure bliss, as with shrooms, and it's a one time dose that lasts 6 months. Imagine a 10 dollar pill and a bag of shrooms can make you think positively out of nowhere.

But NOPE. PFIZER NEEDS TO POISON AMERICA AND PROFIT.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    17. Uklawyer

Uklawyer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication - antidepressants
      @PeanutButter, have you considered trying MDMA/shrooms again since your tinnitus onset?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    18. PeanutButter

PeanutButter Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pristiq (desvenlafaxine)
      @Uklawyer, I'm going to take shrooms in September for a concert and will see how it affects me and will try to post my story to see if it helped. But who knows if I'm going to be around by then.

19. Uklawyer

Uklawyer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @PeanutButter, I know things are difficult for you and you have had a bad deal. I think many of us rue certain decisions and taking advice from people who were not as receptive or sympathetic as they could or should have been. Do what you can to look forward to better days and to look for mindsets that can help in your struggle.

Do what you need to do. I hope whatever you do helps you. Best of luck.

• Winner Winner x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
    20. Nick47

Nick47 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      Are you still taking this? Is it something taken daily? I hear it's part of the Deanxit protocol. Do you have anything to compare the results to, like Clonazepam?

21. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, loud rock concert
      Yes I still take it. I can compare it to my previous set which was Sulpiride with Paroxetine. Mimicking Deanxit works better for me. Clonazepam did no good for me, I stopped it after 1 month.

• Informative Informative x 2
    22. Nick47

Nick47 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      @Mentos, hey there. It was sporadic reports of success with Flupentixol reported success that led me here and then I realised it was part of Deanxit. As a molecule I can see it is an antipsychotic.

Is your tinnitus noise induced? It worries me looking at potential side effects, although it is probably safer than Trobalt that many took.

I'm in the UK, so I believe it's available, however, getting a prescription for it based on tinnitus is likely to fail.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

• Informative Informative x 1
    23. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, loud rock concert
      Hi, yes, my tinnitus is noise induced (metal concert in March 2015). My shrink with whom I have cooperated for 6 years is open to trying different drugs to help ease up my symptoms. We tried several drugs including benzos. The best combination so far is what I use now, Flupentixol with Doxepin (by that we try to mimic Deanxit which is unavailable in Poland).

• Informative Informative x 2
    24. kingsfan
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The FDA just approved a new antidepressant called Auvelity.

From what I know it's basically a mix of Bupropion and Dextromethorphan (DXM 40mg, Bupropion 105mg). As many of you probably already know, DXM is an NMDA antagonist. The Bupropion inhibits the metabolism of the DXM, increasing its concentration.

DXM is also a sigma-1 agonist. Sigma-1 receptors in the limbic system are thought to control emotions... so you can see how this might be something that could really help with how we handle tinnitus.

The antidepressant is supposed to work quickly, as fast as 1 week.

• Informative Informative x 5
      • Like Like x 1
    25. CRGC
      No Mood

CRGC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SNRI/Noise
      Interesting, although Bupropion (Wellbutrin) has been known to cause or worsen tinnitus. I wonder if adding in DXM would avoid that effect?

• Agree Agree x 1
    26. Ela Stefan

Ela Stefan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      Can it be bought in Europe?

27. Padraigh Griffin

Padraigh Griffin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Stress
      What is the best of a bad bunch antidepressant wise?

I know from research that the antidepressant I was put on, Paroxetine, was the worst.

From reading the lovely ‘information’ leaflets it seems Lexapro is the least likely to exacerbate tinnitus.

Anyone have two cents to chip in?

EDIT:

OK, one last call for advice.

1. Amitriptyline
      2. Lexapro

Will need to roll the dice soon. Feels more like Russian Roulette.

28. Uklawyer

Uklawyer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi @Padraigh Griffin,

If it helps, I was on Lexapro for about 7 or 8 years before I heard the ringing. It was then followed by urinary frequency at night. I suspect it was stress (including noise sensitivity) that brought on ny tinnitus. It was very mild and only got worse about 9 months later, once I had changed medication multiple times. Lexapro, out of all those I have tried, is pretty 'light' in terms of side effects, and did a nice job of lowering the generalised anxiety. Overall, it was one of the best I have taken.

I took Amitriptyline ages ago and could not go on with it due to dry mouth at night.

Funnily enough, my psych has given me some to try this time round to accompany the Venlafaxine I am taking. So far, I have resisted as I was concerned about the stories I have read on here about it - though, of course, it has also been cited as one of those ADs that can really help tinnitus.

I know that tinnitus is listed as a possible side effect of Lexapro. I have not even consulted the leaflet to see if it is mentioned on my Amitriptyline bottle (I have drops and the psych wants me to start very low at 5mg and gradually build up).

It's tough to know with these things.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    29. Padraigh Griffin

Padraigh Griffin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Stress
      Thanks for taking the time to write this up for me. Really appreciate it. I’m tending towards Lexapro as I am switching from Paroxetine.

Paroxetine has caused many problems.

From what I read Lexapro has tinnitus as a 1 in 100 side effect, whilst Zoloft is 1 in 10 and Paroxetine 1 in 10 on discontinuation. Generalised anxiety is my main problem.

Here is hoping. I will be taking it slow and steady but coming off Diazepam in tandem won’t be easy.

I hope I get a progressive doctor this time rather than an older psych who had long given up the ghost and just lashed out the meds.

Thanks again.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    30. Uklawyer

Uklawyer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think I remember discussing with you the problems of Paroxetine. For me it was probably the worst of them all (and the first drug prescribed to me when I was 17 years old).

I think most of these drugs will have reports of tinnitus in c.1 in 100 to 1 in 1000 (though I have no knowledge on numbers on discontinuation).

For what it's worth (again), Lexapro is simpler in that you have only 10 mg, 15 mg and 20 mg - and, for me, I did not find much difference between 10 mg and 20 mg. You may want to suggest what my psych proposed, starting on 5 mg for a short period and then building up. Either way, it will take a good few weeks to start feeling the benefit, so some patience is required. During that period, I would be careful about tapering the Valium. I would have thought it would be wiser to only start thinking of this once you are stable on the AD and feel that with its benefits, you can start moving away from the benzos.

When I went into a psychiatric hospital, I was on nothing and in a very bad way. It was only after a few weeks (back) on the Lexapro that the docs started lowering the Valium (though it was hard to keep track on time in there). The Lexapro had no impact on the tinnitus, which had all but left me on the high doses of Valium.

I would go slowly, monitor (by checking in, but not obsessively) and adjust/taper according to perception of uplift in mood.

I hope it helps.

• Like Like x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1