Are Celebrities Ashamed of Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Awareness & Fundraising' started by valeri, Dec 24, 2015.

1. John G

John G Member

I dont follow what bono does for awareness etc..but I think he does this awareness for self promotion...hey look at me....promoting awareness for this illness etc..

As for people to bring awareness for T or any medical issue. It doesnt matter if they are famous or not. Believe it or not, most human beings are "looking out for number one" ...themselves.

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Now I'll go off the topic here but when you compare tinnitus and HIV I must say I don't feel sorry for those contacting the virus now in the 21st century.
      Yes, fair enough years and years ago when so "little" (that's another questionable topic) was known about HIV and many inocent people were infected through either unprotected sex or blood transfusions.
      But today!!! You have promiscuous young people, and people like Charlie Sheen (thanks @Atlantis) who are changing sexual partners like socks, using no protection and deliberately putting themselfs at risk!

Tinnitus on the other hand most of us didn't get by choice, rather unfortunate circumstances!
      And HIV is cool and sexy enough to talk about but tinnitus isn't!

HIV has a day and a support of an army of Hollywood celebrities tinnitus nothing, zero zilch nada!
      And people supporting HIV don't even have it. What a paradox!
      Somebody please enlighten me!

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Sad truth!

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      I probably wouldn't be that proud of it, but that's the Gallaghers for you isn't it. Anyway Ed, you've made me recall something. I looked after an older fellow once who had been in the local brass band in this town, right in the middle of the brass section as a trumpeter. He had the lot. Poor bugger had to get ambulanced to Hospital, then transferred to the local Private Hospital. Once the noise hit a certain level he just started falling over, on top of raging T and hissing, screeching H. he called it Menierre's, but I think what he had was a consequence of ongoing sonic injury that happened to hit enough criteria to be called Menierre's Disease. I don't think his condition was the same as say someone like Glynnis here. He was just shredded, yet we still found common ground and joked about it, and for me it was a rare opportunity to teach Nursing Colleagues about what some were going through and the extent to which it could reach in our lives, and to think about this when they had patients who included this kind of thing in their history. They really were surprised and for the most part had no practical idea, even though most knew the terms (except Hyperacusis, no-one knew what that was). It can be rare that we get opportunities to educate, but it was good to be able to do so.

• Like Like x 1
    5. RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loss of hearing and then stress and anxiety
      Most of us are staring at computers day and in and day out with not much to do but think about it and talk on this forum are the ones that have it worst. If you can distract yourself enough and not let it bother you, it is almost as if you don't have it. I think for the most part many of these celebrities stay so busy that they really don't have time to focus on it and they simply are able to forget about it much of the time. Doing this will actually drop the volume of it to the point where it won't bother you at all.

If I was flying all over the world, partying it up, meeting new friends all the time, going to beaches, pubs, etc etc, then I would not notice it much of the time and I would not care and it would be quiet when I did notice it for a few seconds at night. When these celebs finally decide to settle down and retire is when they will realize what they have, and it will get louder, but until then its just one big party with some minor T.

When your T volume is a 1 its not even noticeable and actually almost pleasant to listen to. When its louder than that, is when it starts to affect you. Most musicians probably also still have pretty descent hearing so masking is not a problem either. Once you have lost most of your hearing and there is nothing left but T is when they will care the most. Hopefully there is a cure by then.

6. Hotaru
      Depressed

Hotaru Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12-15-15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      URI/ETD
    7. tiniturtle

tiniturtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/19/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Paromomycin
      William Shatner was/is pretty vocal about it as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      Tinnitus and Hyperacusis is definitely not like a common cold or chronic back pain, it is severly debilitating. Why the hell is the society treating this like it is a minor thing. Tinnitus is something quite severe in nature and needs to be addressed asap.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    9. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Yeah unfortunately.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      @threefirefour

Comic con 2012 MTL - William Shatner speaks...

He called habituation a cure once

but seriously he has petitioned congress and does associate with the ACA so I'm not sure who's side he is on?

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Yeah it's hard to tell if he's /ourguy/ or not. Anyways he's shilled for TRT on twitter and said we should be focusing completely on habituation. Picard was the better captain anyways.

• Agree Agree x 2
    12. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      I am very ashamed of having tinnitus, I can't look people properly in the eye when telling them I have it, I feel so ashamed that I have it at such an early age and that I probably caused it myself. Most of the time I feel absolutely disgusted at myself :(

I am sure some celebrities feel ashamed to some degree, and that is why they don't talk much about it.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    13. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I didnt cry when i got Mild T, but last night i finally broke down having severe T. I knew that life is pretty much over, god i wish i had just 20 more years to enjoy. I never cried like that in my entire life, all i did was lost, future is lost. This is survival now and each day is painful for me.

• Hug Hug x 1
    14. Sven
      Fine

Sven Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Don't be. Yes, you most likely caused it yourself, but so did many of us here.

15. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That is how it is for me about 2/3 of all days. My T is only moderate at worst and sometimes mild, but I still cry over it very much.

16. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      I am ashamed of ignorant people in this world, not someone that has tinnitus and lives a life full of courage.....

• Agree Agree x 2
    17. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't have any courage in my life anymore. Tinnitus has made me one giant anxious mess. And everybody don't seem to understand why I struggle so much, and that is also part of my emberresment, that I just can not shrug of my T like almost everybody else.

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    18. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Courage is about living a life, that is filled with affliction. Everyday we live, we fight, we hope, we do....is courage. You just don't know it, but you are filled with courage and will keep moving forward...

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    19. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Well said @fishbone. Tinnitus is not an easy condition to cope with when it is severe and we veterans know that. There is a way to beat it but a person has got to believe in themselves and keep on trying.

• Like Like x 2
    20. MBH

MBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overloaded stress
      @TheDanishGirl I also didn't tell people either, and it's not your fault again there is no prevention brochure or anything for that matter to tell us anything. Also, famous people I think it's more likely they don't want to tarnish their image, I think their hands are tied admitting they have tinnitus when it is symptom of acoustic trauma, bad for business.

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. Rajin

Rajin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      9/7/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ,noise
      Could it be that celebrities have the money to spend for therapy. Don’t bother them that much, can cope better. I wonder about this also. Why there is no awareness from them, silence. Don’t get it either.

• Agree Agree x 1
    22. dpdx
      Disappointed

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think it also depends how loud your tinnitus is. If you have mild tinnitus you are good, moderate maybe, but severe (which I have) it is bad. If you have mild tinnitus you get used to it and you don't care if there is a cure or not, nor do you want to tell people about it, however when you have severe tinnitus then you will totally do it and you do care about cure.

• Agree Agree x 1
    23. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      This is exactly true MBH.

• Agree Agree x 1
    24. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      I get it Sandra. Believe it or not I was you back in 2002 to 2004 or more. Then after some time my life just changed and I was able to live again without so much fear and anxiety. And I thought something was wrong with me because I couldn't just "shrug" it off like other people. You will look back someday and understand.

Just keep moving forward in some way.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    25. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am glad to hear that it is possible to "get there" eventually, maybe it just takes a lot longer for some of us.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    26. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

SugarMagnolia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Money can also buy them a quiet peaceful place to live. Unlike the rest of us, they don't have to put up with all the noise that comes from living in noisy cities with noisy neighbors and taking noisy commutes to noisy jobs. Money can't buy a cure, but lack of money can make a bad situation worse.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    27. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

SugarMagnolia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I get those feelings too Sandra. You are not alone. :huganimation:

28. Travis Henry
      Cynical

Travis Henry Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1 Moderna Vac, Noise and stress I guess, its killing me
      Fuck it. I'll raise awareness about tinnitus to let everyone know what's going on with me in case I off myself. I don't want them thinking I did it because of some mental illness, even though most will. I describe my symptoms in great lengths and show them the sound I'm listening to 24/7 and what hyperacusis does. No shame. I want to help prevent any of my loved ones getting it.

• Agree Agree x 1