Are Noise Cancelling Headphones the Same as Earmuffs?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Marko Nakovski, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Marko Nakovski
      Bored

Marko Nakovski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Hello,

I have seen many positive reviews about Sony and Bose noise cancelling headphones - especially about the Sony. I have both tinnitus and hyperacucis but the latter one is a much bigger issue for me. I have earplugs at home but I don't want to use them all the time since they irritate my ears and I use them only when I'm outside.

I didn't have issues like this in the past when I had only tinnitus but after I developed hyperacusis my ears get irritated and if I put something into my ear canal. If I press my ears too hard on my pillow while I'm sleeping they can become red, hot and the burning pain will be even worse.

At the same time I would like to listen to some pleasant nature sounds on them and basically use them as some sort of sound therapy on the lowest possible volume. I know that even the highest quality headphones or earphones are not the same as the special earphones designed for sound therapy used for hyperacusis but still I think it's worth giving them a shot since they are "much cheaper" than sound therapy earphones.

So at the same time I will use them to block some sounds like vacuums, hairdryers, coffee grinders, and some other sounds that are painful or uncomfortable for my ears. I also would like to listen to some pleasant sounds.

However I'm not sure if they offer the same type of protection as earmuffs.

Can noise cancelling headphones reduce the volume of external noise by about 30 dB just like earmuffs?

Can they reduce some high frequency sounds similarly like earmuffs?

I don't have any experience with them, nor do I understand or have knowledge about headphones and earmuffs.

Maybe someone who has better understanding can give me some advice?

2. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      They don't.
      No. They are much better at low frequency sound - e.g., airplane engines.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Marko Nakovski
      Bored

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      @Aaron123 They don't offer the same type of protection in terms of dB or both dB and frequency?

I've read somewhere that noise cancelling headphones don't have good protection against sounds higher than 1000 Hz. For example baby crying, dentist's drill and similar?

4. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      In my view, they're ok to take the edge off certain situations with constant background noise but don't rely on them for proper ear protection. They are hopeless with sudden peaks in volume.

Ear muffs that have an NRR are more trustworthy. I've never come across any NRR claims whatsoever from Bose (can't vouch for Sony or other manufacturers).

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Marko Nakovski
      Bored

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      @Gman I would like to have them mostly for home. I do need them for travel too but that is not the priority. So in that instance they are fine since sudden peaks in volume are very rare at home?

I'm more concerned about some high frequency level of sounds. For example coffee grinder noise is very annoying and painful to my ears.

Also let's say I would like to travel on a plane and there can be some baby right next to me that will cry all the time. So in that case they will be useless?

What is the exact meaning of NRR? I'm familiar with the word but I don't know the purpose?

6. JohnFox

JohnFox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Sudden loss of 100% hearing R ear with Tinnitus
      I’m an all of the above type of guy. I use a set of NC Sony headphones, and for certain situations they are awesome. For other times a good set of foam type earplugs is the ticket. I don’t wear the Sony’s when sleeping. I toss around too much. I do sometimes use a good little Bluetooth speaker for white noise (nature sounds). There are an unlimited sources to download just about any kind of nature sound that fits. I suggest you experiment with that. T is NOT a one shoe fits all kind of thing. You have to work to find what works for you. Good luck, and stay tuned.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      I consider my home to be a safe place where I rarely need to wear ear protection, with the exception of frying food, vacuuming and anything power tool related.

I used to cook with NC headphones on because sizzling irritates my ears and, in that regard, they weren't that good. So I use earmuffs, but only briefly when frying. For vacuuming I actually wear ear plugs and ear muffs even though my sound app says the sound is under 80 dB - my ears don't like it and I don't want anymore set backs.
      I don't know about coffee grinders.

NRR is 'Noise Reduction Rating'. Quality ear protection is given a rating to let you know how protective they are. The higher the NRR, the more protective.

In terms of being unlucky enough to sit next to a crying baby on a plane, they would be better than nothing. But I honestly don't know how protective they would be. I'd pop in ear plugs too probably, or look for an open seat somewhere else. But some risk takers here might accuse me of being overprotective - which I'm not. I actually rarely put myself in situations where I would need to wear ear protection.

8. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      My question is about "noise cancelling" ear muffs.

I'm looking to invest in a pair of good quality ear muffs, now that I've learned they are better than noise cancelling headphones. I've noticed some of them are described as noise cancelling ear muffs. Does that mean they have similar electronics to noise-cancelling headphones, and is it better to get that feature than "normal" ear muffs? Looking at the quoted decibel reductions, they all seem to be around the 32-34 dB mark, regardless of whether they are described as noise-cancelling, so I'm wondering if that is perhaps a gimmick to have those words in their description?

I won't be doing anything like lawn work or carpentry, for a while, I'm trying to give my ears a complete rest. It's just to give me another option to stick over my ears when the family all arrive home and start banging doors, pots and pans etc.

9. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Please be aware you risk your tinnitus and hyperacusis becoming worse if you overuse any form of hearing protection as a lowering of the "loudness threshold" of your auditory system will most certainly result. I advise that you proceed with extreme caution because what you intend doing is not a good idea. Better to use noise reducing earplugs even then these should not be overused.

Please click on the links below and read my post: Hyperacusis, As I see it and The Complexities of Tinnitus and Hyperacusis.

It is treatment that is required not suppression of sound.

I wish you well.
      Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/the-complexities-of-tinnitus-and-hyperacusis.25733/

• Like Like x 1
    10. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      I use N/C headphones to cancel or reduce lower frequency train sounds when riding the subway, with earplugs under them as well. I wear the N/C headphones alone, without earplugs, when using a noisy blender, and for other purposes, but rarely more than a few hours a week in total. I never use them, or any other headphone or earbud, for music listening. They were about one quarter the price of a premium pair, and are probably at least 75% as effective for noise cancellation, as the more expensive brands' best models.

11. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I would need n/c headphones and earplugs to use a noisy blender at the moment - in fact I probably would leave the room and ask someone else to use it. Tinnitus+hyperacusis is a horrible combination.

12. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      After how 3M knowingly sold defective ear plugs to the military and destroyed many lives I'm of the impression N/C headphones are dangerous!

13. Luman
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If you used N/C headphones and earplugs, the noise of the blender would be so low and defanged, that it probably wouldn't bother you at all. Think of it this way: Music coming from a full sized hi-fi speaker right in front of you, without the N/C headphones, would be reduced to sounding like a table radio, when utilizing the N/C headphones. With the addition of earplugs, the noise reduction is even more profound, but not really necessary for the sounds of a blender, vacuum cleaner, etc.

14. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Well I got a telling-off in here for mowing my lawn last weekend, when I had earplugs and n/c headphones on. I'm wondering if I would have been better with earmuffs. Or maybe it was the 10 minutes with the strimmer afterwards that I should have avoided. I was fine that night, it was just the next night after being at a friend's house with a few other friends the next day, when I got spiked.

I have had tinnitus spikes 3 times in the past 6 weeks now, two of them in the last 10 days, so I suppose I do have to be extra-careful right now with my recovery. I'm trying my best... :(

15. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      For the lawn mower, weed trimmer, and leaf blower, all gas powered, at this point I use both earplugs (NRR 33), and ear muffs (NRR 20), for double protection. Better to combine the advantages of each, than either alone.

16. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Don't earplugs carry their own risks though, like the risk of tympanic shock if removed too quickly? I always spend at least 10 seconds per plug trying to ease them out, but doing that several times a day can still be risky, even with the silicone plugs like ER20s as opposed to foam plugs.

There are also the hygiene considerations, and the problems of irritation in the ear canal (not as bad as tinnitus & hyperacusis I know but still puts me off sometimes).

It just seemed to me that a basic pair of ear muffs could be an easier and quicker option, for occasional use only (maybe just 10 minutes a day).

17. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I have never had any problems using earplugs in the way that you mention. My advice is whatever hearing protection you use, just be careful not to rely on it too often as you risk lowing the loudness threshold of your auditory system. It is this that I am only making you aware of. Please read my post: Hyperacusis, As I see it.

All the best
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
    18. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      You're kidding right? The fact that the sound appears low, isn't the frequency high?

19. Luman
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It eliminates or muffles low to lower midrange frequencies. Cheap blenders, vacuum cleaners, etc, usually do not have very much in the way of high frequencies, but if they do, you can use earplugs as well, if desired. I really don't think the sounds of these appliances are dangerous in moderation, but to be on the safe side, and for the sake of comfort, I like to wear the N/C headphones when using these devices.

20. Luman
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I understand. I have never used a lawn mower in my life. The leaf blowers are extremely loud, we live on the fourth floor of a building, and the houses below employ landscaping people sometimes who use the blowers, and it's so loud and annoying even four stories up, that sometimes I use the N/C headphones or plugs.

21. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      I find both of my paper shredders as quite loud, especially when my head is down close to them to use them.

https://www.toptenreviews.com/best-leaf-blowers

The link above the db ratings for a number of consumer leaf blowers as from 86 to 106 db's, and the commercial backpack ones that the professional gardeners use are even louder.

22. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      @Luman You have a lot of 'ifs' . Do we really need earphones that go above 80-85 dB? I think not. Do we need cars that go 200 MPH? I think not. I can go on.

23. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It's more difficult to cancel out the high frequency waves. In general I think quality NC headphones are better than earmuffs for low to mid frequency repetitive sounds, but a little bit less effective for high frequency sounds and impulse sounds.

The over the ear ones do provide some passive noise reduction in addition to noise cancellation.