Are There Any Success Stories for Moderate-Severe Dysacusis?

Discussion in 'Support' started by weab00, Sep 5, 2020.

1. weab00
      Alone

weab00 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise, whiplash; 08/20 H
      I’ve had tinnitus for a year and a half and habituated after about 6 months.

However, in the past month, I have seemed to have spontaneously gotten noxacusis, which I’m guessing is from cumulative ear damage.

As a music lover, the worst part about it is the dysacusis, as it makes songs sound like a high-pitched whistling mess. Daily sounds trigger it like running water, traffic/motors, my fridge, crickets, artificial sounds esp small speakers, etc.

It’s been very draining and I’m wondering if this has subsided for other people to the point where they can go about their life and listen to music without constant sound distortions?

2. Gordon Steinberg

Gordon Steinberg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/25/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Very Loud Noise
      I also have had this for 6 weeks. I believe @Michael Leigh and @Tom Cnyc both had distortion that went away based on my reading, although I may be wrong.

3. PugDog1

PugDog1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Low iron, low b12, chronic sinusitis
      I get distortion from time to time and I have severe sinus disease on the side that gets it. Do your ears pop?

Mine won’t at all when I get the echoing and it’s apparently something to do with my Eustachian tube. Some over the counter decongestant and heat usually helps :)

4. Cameron Wagner

Cameron Wagner Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced/Stress
      I developed hyperacusis almost two months ago. I think I've had tinnitus much longer than that but I can't pinpoint when it started. Unfortunately about a week ago I started noticing distortion coming from things such as running water, fans, etc. Just yesterday I also noticed distortions from certain moments on TV. It's like a whistling kind of chirping noise.

I know exactly how you are feeling. I thought I had reached a place where I was able to manage the hyperacusis. And it feels like anytime I get to a stable state things become worse. I'm not exactly sure how to mange this anymore. I haven't been exposing myself to overly loud sounds. Just normal everyday noise. Life just doesn't seem that enjoyable anymore. I struggle to find things to take my mind of this and tell myself it can't possibly get any worse. But I'm not entirely convinced anymore.

I have an appointment with an audiologist in a couple days. I'll see where things go from there. I'm really hoping the distortions fade over time. Sorry you are going through this. I know it's a really rough thing to handle everyday.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      weab00
      Alone

weab00 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise, whiplash; 08/20 H
      I'm right there with you. They say the best thing to do when you get tinnitus is to engage in your hobbies to distract yourself, but I've basically had to give up most of my hobbies and seclude myself in my bedroom, otherwise I get pain, distortions, and reactive tinnitus. I have not been coping well at all and oftentimes feel like giving up because the struggle is endless, as you already know. I also seem to be getting worse and have been protecting/not exposing myself, it's like our ear's defense line is broken or something and the tinnitus/pain keeps getting worse after completely normal noises in the 50-70dB range.