Audiogram and Other Hearing Test Results

Discussion in 'Support' started by Tinnitus Talk, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      My left ear is fine. My right ear is at 30 at 3 and 4khz. Both ears hear up to 18khz but the right has 20 and 30 db dips in some ofthose upper frequencies. No t in left ear.

2. Mricha37

Mricha37 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Car subwoofers for 6 years
      Any thoughts?

My ringing is so loud I can hear it over my motorcycle...my T is noise induced. I've had it a little over 8 years. The only reason why the audiogram wasn't better is it was competing tones with the T.

Guess I'm just lucky lol!

20161128_150705.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. gotyoubynuts

gotyoubynuts Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Or more than likely you have high frequency hearing loss above the measured 8,000 Hz.

4. Mricha37

Mricha37 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Car subwoofers for 6 years
      Completely agree. After doing some reading that's definitely the case. My insurance won't cover anything outside a "normal range" for hearing aids. Son of a gun.

5. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      Hearing aids as they are made nowadays won't help for "hidden" hearing loss. You don't need them.

6. MikeGreen
      Uninvolved

MikeGreen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Spotify
      How does it look?

Thank you.

SgV0dwn.jpg

7. Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (loud concert for 1h)
      Hey!

From the first two diagrams it seems you have normal hearing. My audiologist said that around 20 or above means you have normal hearing. I don't see any dip under 20 for you so it seems good. The bottom one I don't know since I don't have one of my own. I am sure there are others here that can answer that for you. I will include mine so you can compare, according to my doctor I have perfect hearing, better than the average. I am sure there is a hearing loss in the higher frequencies that doesn't show on the audiogram since it only goes up to 8000.

Attached Files:

8. MikeGreen
      Uninvolved

MikeGreen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Spotify
      Nice. Perfect hearing but still T. Its weird

9. Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (loud concert for 1h)
      Having T means that you have hidden hearing loss. I don't have any issue hearing people talk and I can pick up rather quiet sounds even if it is much harder now than before. I have always had good hearing but the tone(s) I have is probably in higher frequencies that is not shown on a regular audiogram. I asked her to test me up to 20,000 but she refused saying it wasn't reliable at all. In any case it wouldn't really help me with my T, knowing where my hearing is messed up or not.

• Agree Agree x 2
    10. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Tinnitus is such a complex condition @MikeGreen. It has so many possible causes - which may also entangle with one another - that it makes it extremely hard to pin down a definitive cause. I believe there are various mechanisms at play and no two people experience the same tinnitus. This is one of the reasons why it's hard to find a cure that suits us all.

Another problem is that audiology doesn't seem to have really advanced in the past few decades. It is still very much centered around fitting hearing aids. Why only test up to 8kzh? Because it is up to this frequency that human speech is heard, and is also the upper threshold of most hearing aids (although some now do go a bit higher). They don't test higher because it is seen as unnecesarry. But, in my opinion, by not testing higher we are limiting our ability to diagnose and understand where some of the damage to our hearing may lie.

It's all well and good saying "well we don't really use those high frequencies, so why bother testing them?" Try telling that to your brain when it's trying to find those damaged frequencies. On some level I find it absurd that no effort is taken to test our entire range of hearing.

The damage can lie in the cochlear, the auditory nerve or the brain; or it can be a combination of all three. One of the most overlooked tests for tinnitus cases is an ABR. I don't think many of us are offered this because it doesn't lead to a treatment, but I still believe we should be taking proactive steps in trying to understand what's causing our condition. An ABR test may help shed some light on whether we have hidden hearing loss due to nerve damage.

It seems people with tinnitus have a weaker wave I compared to normal people, yet wave V seems to be unaffected which would explain why we have normal audiograms. One of the best theories is that our brain turns up the gain to compensate which raises the background noise, hence tinnitus. It's just like the background noise you get on an amp or hifi when you turn it up. There is also the possibility of a faulty 'gating' switch in our brain which should filter out the sound but doesn't.

There's plenty of studies on tinnitus and ABR tests (hidden hearing loss), one of the best explained I couldn't find but I'll post some other links at the bottom of this post. There's plenty of other info out there if you google it:

IMG_2363.PNG
      IMG_2364.PNG

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/836277-overview#a3

http://www.crsamplifon.com/document...pptx.pdf/887c77fb-e545-456a-aa0c-cfe21a7c6088

• Informative Informative x 2
    11. MikeGreen
      Uninvolved

MikeGreen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Spotify
      This is very interesting. But the ONLY way for us to get a cute is by raising awareness and getting the researchers into action. Otherwise nothing will happen because why treat Tinnitus if nobody pays you to do or gives you an impulse?

You could earn BILLIONS with a cure. Yet nobody does it.

12. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      There's nowhere near the amount of money going into tinnitus research as other diseases, but there is an increasing amount of interest in it. Scientists have been trying to find a cure for decades, but it is a very complex thing to solve. Whoever finds a cure to tinnitus - or even just something that reduces it - will become very rich.

When you say 'yet nobody does it', it certainly isn't through choice; I can assure you many people would LOVE to find a cure. It's just so damn hard.

13. MikeGreen
      Uninvolved

MikeGreen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Spotify
      Because there are so many forms of tinnitus. Just like there are many types of sounds and feelings.

I would love to work on a cure but I dont have the expertise nor the knowledge. The only way I can help is money or raising awareness. But its all about the motivation. The foundation/group has to be motivated and work hard.

14. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      It looks like you may have conductive losses in the right ear, along with a bit of a Carhart notch.
      This could be the beginning of otosclerosis. Did your doctor not mention anything about the air-bone gap on the right side?

15. MikeGreen
      Uninvolved

MikeGreen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Spotify
      That idioy didnt say anything

16. ryan1234
      No Mood

ryan1234 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      Here is an audiogram that I had done two weeks ago. I am just curious to see what anybody on here thinks regarding the results. Obviously, there is a dip at 6,000 hertz, but it is still within normal range so I am confused as to how important the dip is. Any thoughts are helpful. Thanks audiogram.png

17. EddieMar
      Wishful

EddieMar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wish I knew
      Hello, I've had Tinnitus for about 15 months now, 99% of the time on my left ear, occasionally I can sense some very minor ringing on the right ear.

I got my third audiogram done yesterday at UCSF Medical. The previous two were done at a local audiology center and at Stanford. The first two tests only measured frequencies up to 8 kHz.

The results, per the audiologists, was that I'm within normal hearing range.

On yesterday's test, they tested up to 20 kHz.

On my right ear, I was able to hear up to 20 kHz.

On my left ear, I was able to hear only up to 16 kHz. I could not hear 18k or 20k.

I'm 38 years old.

Two questions:

#1. Would you consider not hearing 18k and 20k frequencies on my left ear, which is my problem ear, the reason I have tinnitus?

#2. My left ear, dipped a bit more at frequencies 3.5k and 4k than on last year's tests. The audiologist said it was not enough for her to consider it hearing loss or damage. She said she could do second test and I could test better. Is it normal for tests to fluctuate and what would be a normal decibel fluctuating range?

Thank you

18. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      You can hear 20 Khz ? What ?

19. Rubenslash

Rubenslash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad decisions
      I am not sure if this is a serious question? Most adults don't hear these frequencies so no, it's not the reason.

Around 10-15db I believe.

• Like Like x 2
    20. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      My understanding is that test-retest variability is plus or minus 5 dB.

• Like Like x 2
    21. EddieMar
      Wishful

EddieMar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wish I knew
      Ok, well,what she said was since there was a difference between my right and left ears, 20k vs 16k, that might mean that the left ear has some sort of damage, but of course, nothing they can really know.

22. InfiniteLoop
      Relaxed

InfiniteLoop Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss in left ear from head trauma (?)
      @EddieMar

What is the estimated frequency of your T? That usually gives a clue of the troubled hearing area. If your T is ultra high frequency then it might add up to the observed ultra high frequency hearing loss. Also, the comment that you make is qualitative. Do you have a picture of the audiogram to 2oKHz?. I am attaching the link to my high frequency audiogram (to 16KHz). My left ear is below the age average for very high frequency hearing.
      I have been at Stanford and UCSF also. They have no answers or anything going for T.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...re-are-any-useful-patterns.16989/#post-198618

23. EddieMar
      Wishful

EddieMar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wish I knew
      Hi, the audiologist is not done with her report. I will get the information once she is done and I will upload it along with my other two audiograms and see what advise or observations you or anyone else might have and would like advise me on. Thank you.

24. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      I have two audiograms, one from December 15 done at an ENT and the later one done at an audiologist up to 20khz.

audiogram1.jpg [/url]

audio2.jpg

25. jacob21
      Amazed

jacob21 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2008 > 2009 "cured" >2nd onset June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induce ( loud music )
      here is mine

-40 DB above 8 khz

Attached Files:

26. EddieMar
      Wishful

EddieMar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wish I knew
      Bilateral tinnitus?

In 2008-09, how did you 'cure' yourself?
      What caused the 2nd onset?

27. jacob21
      Amazed

jacob21 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2008 > 2009 "cured" >2nd onset June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induce ( loud music )
      I have bilateral T . But right here easy to cope . I can mask it with ambient sound
      Left ear is another story. Very high pitch around 10 Khz which I can't mask except in the shower when it's loud days ( like today ) . EVen cricket sounds can't mask it

In 2008 after my 1st onset , it took me 1 year to be "cured" , after habituation I started to use Widex hearing aids on left side only from 2009 . Then during 6 years , my T was at a level which I could forget during the day and even the night. So I could say hearing aids cured meduring this time.
      I think I didn't protect my ears as I should have done during those years. I took confidence :( and I probably damage more my left ears ...I have now since june 2016, another T which is louder and the hearing aids, reduce the T by 20 % max instead of 99% as before

• Informative Informative x 2
    28. grate_biff
      In pain

grate_biff Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma using headphones
      Mine is pretty evident regarding my T(high frequenzy HL)
      I have T in my right ear only. Matched at about 12500 kHz.
      Its the strong dip that is the culprit. Even though I have even worse HL in my left ear, but its not as steep as the right ear.
      Regarding 250-8000Hz its the usual dip(-40db) at 4kHz

Attached Files:

29. EddieMar
      Wishful

EddieMar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wish I knew
      @InfiniteLoop

Hello,

I just received my results. Any advise would be helpful. I will only copy my audiogram results, Bio-Logic Otoacoustic Emissions Report, my high-frequency serial audiogram, results page, distortion-product otoacoustic emissions impressions, impressions and recommendations snippet.

Audiogram

1705242147040085.jpg

Bio-Logic Otoacoustic Emissions Report

1705242221070104.jpg

High-Frequency Serial Audiogram

1705242147220097.jpg

Results Page

1705242147220103.jpg

Distortion-product Otoacoustic Emissions Impressions/Interpretations

1705242147220113.jpg

Impressions and Recommendations

1705242147220104.jpg

30. danimadss

danimadss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise
      This is the result of my first hearing test I had done today. Can anyone explain it to me? They said my hearing is "normal" 20170606_162457.jpg