Auris Medical (AM-102)

Discussion in 'Research News' started by attheedgeofscience, Dec 8, 2014.

Tags:
    1. Samir
      Obedient

Samir Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      Not surprised by what exactly?

2. hans799
      Mellow

hans799 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened Dec 2016 by headphones
      Anxiety, depression, schizophrenia etc are also in the brain, yet treatments are available for each of them. Let's not give up hope.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 2
    3. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      No, Am-102 is not for chronic tinnitus and is again for acute, even thought their drug target remains undisclosed.

Take from the site
      More recent theories assume that, while it starts in the ear, the tinnitus becomes "centralised" in the brain over time, where it can persist even if the original damage is no longer present in the inner ear. Since the chances of a cure for this type of permanent tinnitus are very low, attempts are being made to treat the tinnitus at an early stage, focusing on the inner ear.

Why would they write that on their website if an-102 was for chronic? Also a source from here in the financial industry said it was indeed for acute.

4. 90's Kid

90's Kid Member

@Paulmanlike that's why Auris is less interesting than Frequency Therapeutics at this moment.

I guess that the biggest part of sufferers in this website involve chronic tinnitus.
      To be honest, Auris is doing a great job to treat acute tinnitus while Frequency Therapeutic using restoring hair cells will maybe cure both.

Don't forget that we know 10% maybe less about what's going on with research in labs.
      Wait and see I suppose.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Paulmanlike

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I've been following Auris medical for years, even considered buying shares in them because I thought they would be the company to cure this world wild pandemic. So disappointing that they are targeting acute, even then the data does not look so promising.

ANy idea what FT are going to attempt to cure it

• Like Like x 1
    6. 90's Kid

90's Kid Member

@Paulmanlike It's because Auris didn't and still doesn't use the "restoring hair cells" process. In fact, Frequency Therapeutics was founded less than a year ago when they did discover that restoring cells was possible whereas Auris did worked on something since many years without the actual knowledge we have about cells.

You should look at the different articles posted in the Frequency Therapeutics topic.

Last news about regenerating auditory hair cells :
      http://www.news-medical.net/news/20...nerate-auditory-hair-cells-in-adult-mice.aspx

Harvard news about hair cells restored :
      http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/sto...maged-hair-cells-may-help-treat-hearing-loss/

7. Paulmanlike

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      My aim really is get rid of my tinnitus, I am not aware of any hearing loss whether that either be hidden or detectable. I plan to find out soon though if I have any although it is not noticeable.

I'm guessing that tinnitus is probably more suffering than mild hearing loss, at least that would be of my opinion.

I'm just wishing there was another company that I could have hope in with an effective treatment or cure, however FT do not mention that tinnitus is their goal of treatment.

• Like Like x 1
    8. locoyeti
      Sunshine

locoyeti Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2014
      which nerve is he referring to? i'm guessing its the vagus nerve.

9. 90's Kid

90's Kid Member

@Paulmanlike Well, FT didn't mention if it's their goal of treatment BUT we know that most of tinnitus are created after hearing cells damage. If we are able to restore them, then it can stop the ringing, we'll see.

10. Paulmanlike

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Because tinnitus becomes centralised in the brain over time, I don't think it will.

Have you tried ACRN before? Just been reading about it online, it's available at a private tinnitus clinic in the U.K., but you can make it yourself with generalfuzz.com.

Don't know if I should try it, online there is many comments it helps.

11. Jim51042

Jim51042 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/28/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphone use
      Frequency won't restore hair cells they will bypass them by creating addition hair cells. Also tinnitus is more like cause by synaptic damage than hair cell damage. That said Frequency might provide a cure though maybe not the most stable long term cure. See Decibel with a synaptic regrowth for a lifetime cure of tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    12. 90's Kid

90's Kid Member

@Jim51042 Thought Frequency was the best :O
      What's the difference with Decibel ? I thought it was the same process of restoring hair cells.

Moreoever, maybe creating addition hair cells can solve the problem, we don't know ^^

13. Paulmanlike

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      They're both aimed at restoring hearing loss, whether that solves tinnitus is in the table.

However it's thought that tinnitus evolves around damage to the nerves rather than the hearing cells so I doubt it.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    14. 90's Kid

90's Kid Member

They should just work all together and finish it, I mean we did cure harder diseases...
      Anyway, we just know a few part of what's going on. I'm sure that before the end of 2017 we will learn a lot.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    15. Paulmanlike

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Tinnitus is actually very complex, it's the uncertainty that kills me whether this noise can one day be eliminated or not.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. DoNotGoGentle

DoNotGoGentle Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/15 got worse 11/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earbuds, inner ear infection NHL and high frequency loss
      It does not have to be eliminated just turned down. It is brain disorder. Not everyone with NIHL gets tinnitus. Heard a story of kid who had shooters ear. Only 19. Never wore hearing protection when shooting. Lost bunch of hearing. Tried to join the service but was only able to get a cook job. He had no ringing at all. Why is some with lots of hearing loss and no tinnitus and then my 25 db loss both ears I have 7 hz ring

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. Samir
      Obedient

Samir Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      Give it enough time and it will be cured! The big question is when, not if!

Don't you think tinnitus will be a thing of the past in year 2457? Of course, we will not be around. But will it be cured? Yes!

It doesn't have to take 440 years at all. But how long? No one knows for sure. My guess is that we might have a cure for some form of tinnitus by the time we have a way to restore otic synapses and sensory cells. When might that be? My guess is that we may have some hearing loss therapy in the clinic by the year 2023. But a cure for all forms of tinnitus? My guess would be year 2037. No one knows for sure, these are all just my wild guesses.

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. jeff W

jeff W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      I hear this cognitive neuroscience expression a lot. If you stick a pin in your arm and it hurts, one could reasonably say that the actual problem is in your brain as that is where the pain is recognized but logic would infer that first we attempt to treat the problem at its source (eg remove the pin from your arm). The brain is nothing without the information it is fed by the body's sensors, each information sensor is perfectly designed to measure our environment in complex detail, when this system breaks down just look at the problems it causes. There is a lack of respect within cognitive neuroscience for the human body as a whole, including its information sensors scattered throughout the body. I am looking forward to mechanical medicine to arrive for the ear that will make the church of cognitive neuroscience go away forever.
      Michael Turvey - Distance Perception

• Like Like x 6
      • Genius Genius x 1
    19. Paulmanlike

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I've just read @attheedgeofscience profile, wow he had a reduction of 50% with stem cell therapy and a further permanent decrease with trobalt. Goes to show if you really want something you can achieve it.

20. Marlino
      Cowboy

Marlino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I'm highly sceptical about the i.v. stem cell treatment. Its just more than unlikely that only one of the mere several million stem cells gets to the right place by random.
      Even if, there are still several other reasons to be sceptical, e.g. can and will stem cells differentiate into the right cell?!
      If there was any reason to believe in it, and I wished so, I would happily pay to do it.