B-Complex Vitamins?

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by SugarMagnolia, Sep 3, 2018.

1. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

SugarMagnolia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I think I need a vitamin B supplement, but I'm reading reviews of B complex vitamins and some of the reported side effects are scary. Some people report rashes and hives. I even read of someone's ears ringing from it.

Does anyone take B complex supplements?

Do they worsen tinnitus?

Do they cause rashes or other side effects?

What dosage is safe to get enough but not too much?

Are they vegan?

Are they organic?

Have I asked too many questions?

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I've taken it. No effect on T, and no side effects. You will want to look up the daily requirement on the internet, as I remember discovering that the pills that I had had exceeded the daily requirement dosage.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      That seems to be the case with every one I've looked at. Apparently not all of the B12 is absorbed by the body.

4. BuzzyBee
      Bookworm

BuzzyBee Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      I take the B-Complex Stress Formula -- a pretty cheap one from Nature's Way. It has absolutely no effect on my tinnitus but since I've been taking it I've caught way fewer colds and made it through flu season. I do think it has some effect on the immune system. The stress formula also has Zinc which I believe to be a good supplement. But again-- no effect on tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      You can use a pill cutter or a knife to split those pills in two. You can also try using your teeth or fingers to split those pills.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Thanks. I know these pills are popular, but all it takes is one product review (out of dozens) saying it caused ringing in the ears for me to get nervous.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I'm a lightweight with pills. Whenever possible, I buy the children's versions because they are only half an adult dose.

• Useful Useful x 1
    8. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      Vitamin B supplements can also be a type of stimulant, which have been known to temporarily cause spikes in some people. Similar effect to what some people have with Caffeine, but should only be temporary and then subside. Sometimes its our own anxiety from the stimulants that perceive the T as louder than it is.

Hope all it well @SugarMagnolia

• Like Like x 1
    9. 1000

1000 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      I got high levels of b12.... And the tinnitus, it's all over... Sadly.

• Hug Hug x 3
    10. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      What exactly happened? You took a high dose of B12 and developed tinnitus? How much did you take?

11. 1000

1000 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      I developed tinnitus due to noise. But I was taking b12 supplementation before that so I was overload on b12 and still.

• Hug Hug x 2
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I don't normally take vitamins. I never believed in iteverything I read about vitamins confuses me and. I always believed if I ate healthy I would get enough vitamins naturally from food. But about 23 years ago I developed lactose-intolerance and never added any B12 supplement. Before that I was a vegetarian and ate a lot of dairy. Now I'm worrying that 23 years of veganism with no B12 supplement might be causing me problems.

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    13. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You may want to ask your doctor to do an extensive bloodwork test to see if your vitamin deficient in anything. This will prob tell you whether you need to supplement B12. I don't think it will have an effect on your tinnitus, but if your worried about it you can get your bloodwork done and see if you should even bother take B12.

Vitamins are very beneficial if you are deficient or looking to supplement them for nootropic effects. There have been many studies showing the benefits of taking vitamins. Certain types of vitamins are worthless though because your body can't absorb them properly. This is the case with Magnesium Oxide vs Magnesium Citrate. Oxide isn't as bio available as Citrate so you waste your money buying Mag Oxide. If you want to start looking into vitamins for supplementation I suggest researching what kind of vitamin you want, studies on them, and which synthetic form is best for what you want.

Talk to your doctor though before taking any supplements though just to make sure you it is safe for you to and won't interact with any medication or anything.

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. 1000

1000 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      I was a vegetarian before this tragedy....now I started eatinf chicken, eggs , salmon and organic lean meat.

• Like Like x 2
    15. carlover
      English

carlover Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi I genuinly believe you have so many fears of taking this B complex (irrational in my humble) that you should leave well alone or you will placebo yourself into thinking they are giving you all sorts of issues,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,as for talking to GPs these are people who have no training on Natural Supplements and are happy to dole out all kinds of drugs with very nasty side effects, so pointless if you ask me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I think I just need to add the B12 that I can't get from vegan food. I'm pretty sure I do okay on the B6, so I don't really need a B complex. I just need the B12.

High B6 foods include spinach, bananas, and avocados, which I eat a lot of.

I was looking at these vitamins which are supposed to come from whole foods: www.naturelo.org/

They're organic and vegan. But I'm always leery of pills, even natural ones. So for now, I've just been drinking Silk soymilk more regularly. It's fortified with B vitamins, among others.

• Like Like x 1
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      @carlover
      Yeah, I've just increased the soymilk for now since it's fortified and hunting for a cereal that's both healthy and fortified. Seems the healthly ones usually aren't fortified.

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Why did you add meat back into your diet?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    19. 1000

1000 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      The Brain is 60% fat and needs fat to function.Fat is the building block of the Myelin that surrounds nerves. Fats regulate inflamatory response.

I'm in desperation.... So I'm giving it a try....

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      @1000
      I have often thought that I should add a little meat to my diet now that I can no longer eat dairy, but I have been a vegetarian too long to go back. I can eat eggs though, so I've been thinking of reintroducing eggs to get more omega-3. (Hens fed a vegetarian diet that includes flax seeds produce eggs with omega-3 fatty acids.)

• Like Like x 1
    21. 1000

1000 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Try some organic lean meat once a week.

22. cnewfitz

cnewfitz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cipro
      I added B complex, Nature's Way, 2 pills per day and it significantly reduced my tinnitus to almost non-existent. When I forget the B, the tinnitus is loudest at night through into the morning while I sleep. I don't know if the B helped because my tinnitus was caused by Cipro as opposed to a more natural occurring form (loud noise or from an accident affecting the neck or ear) thus it reacts better to the B complex but it works for me.

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I couldn't even bring myself to touch it with my hand much less put it in my mouth. I think eggs are as far as I can go with animal food.

24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      @cnewfitz
      I glad the B vitamins lower your T. Even if it's temporary, it must be a welcome break.

25. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      The use of Distortion Product Otoacoustic emissions (DPOAE) records to estimate effect of vitamin B complex on changing severity of Tinnitus

Introduction

Patients that are complaining from tinnitus but have normal hearing comprise an uncommon group and there is rare literature about them. Deficiency in B-complex vitamins has been shown to result in tinnitus and supplementation may improve the symptom which means manipulation of cochlear status. Distortion Product Otoacoustic emissions (DPOAEs) used frequently to assess cochlear status.

Objectives
      The uses of DPOAE changing amplitude as a parameter to estimate effect of vitamin B complex on changing the severity of tinnitus in patients with tinnitus only in comparison to patients have tinnitus with Sensory Neural Hearing Loss (SNHL) and a control group.

Methods
      Prospective observational cohort study was performed in XXXXX Teaching Hospital as a secondary medical care center, from 01/01/2012 to 31/12/2016. A three groups had been evaluated clinically and by OAE device (ECHOLAB) to study the DPOAE changing amplitude before and after one month of supplementation of B-complex vitamins to 25 patients in study group (1) have (tinnitus only) and also to 25 patients in study group (2) have (Tinnitus +SNHL) but leaving control group who were a 25 medical staff (No Tinnitus and nor SNHL) without treatment.

Results
      It has been found that among Study group 1 (patients had Tinnitus only), Study group 2 (patients had Tinnitus +SNHL) and the control group: 16 patients (44 %), P-value = 0.000 HS; 28 patients (78%) P-value = 0.000 HS; and 0% respectively, they had low Amplitude of DPOAE recorded by OAE device (ECHOLAB). After one month from treatment with Neurobine ampules for study group 1& 2 but not control group (whom receive no treatment), those who got clinical improvement + increase Amplitude of DPOAE (i.e. subjective + objective changes) after treatment were 10 patients (28%) P-value = 0.000 HS in study group1, and two patients (5%) P-value 0.321 NS in study group 2, and there was no changes (zero) among control group.

Conclusions
      The uses of DPOAE changing amplitude could be used as a parameter to estimate effect of vitamin B complex on changing the severity of Tinnitus in patients with tinnitus only or those have Tinnitus with SNHL. The supplementation of vitamin B complex could improve the tinnitus severity especially in patients with tinnitus without SNHL.

Keywords
      B-complex deficiency
      OAE
      DPOAE
      Tinnitus
      SNHL

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2049080118302449

• Informative Informative x 1
    26. Finnigan
      Stressed

Finnigan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Injury maybe
      I am taking an organic vitamin with mega B complex and haven't noticed any difference with the T other than worsening exhaustion.

27. Fally
      Bookworm

Fally Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      no sure
      B12 makes my tinnitus go down. I had my shot two days ago woke up this morning with it the lowest it has been in a long time. Was nice to have that short reprieve before it goes back up again.

• Like Like x 1
    28. Bobster59

Bobster59 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic neuroma
      I noticed a small but beneficial difference in my T taking a soloray B vitamin complex 50mg. I've experimented and noticed a difference between taking them and not taking them. I rate my t from 1 to 10. It fluctuates like a graph over the course of 4 days from low (4-5) to high (7-8) when not taking B vitamins . Taking them - low 3-4 , high 6-7. It only takes it down a notch but what it does for me is it takes the edge off. High stress can override any benefit.

29. ryanlrosscpa

ryanlrosscpa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, but concerned about Cipro use.
      Can you please tell me which dosage of the Nature's Way you used? There appears to be two. I also am a Cipro victim.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    30. LostOutWest
      Not amused

LostOutWest Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Talk to your doctor, get a blood test for this and other key vitamin links to Tinnitus, develop a plan with them. Great to know your blood baselines on vitamins before you supplement.

I supplement B12 and B complex intravenously and intermuscularly. It has helped me mentally and physically, but I believe my low vitamin levels were one of the causes of my T. Bears noting I’m a vegetarian, so it’s more plausible that I’d be low in the Bs.