Bad Dysacusis / Distortions — Manageable Tinnitus: A 19-Year-Old Guy Suffering for Two Months

Discussion in 'Support' started by Pierce Wolf, Jan 17, 2021.

?

For those with dysacusis only: Would you induce deafness if it meant no more distortion?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Pierce Wolf

Pierce Wolf Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nail gun charge going off outside the gun near my right ear
      Recently I’ve actually taken up some vaping. I find the nicotine “high” somewhat similar to a THC high although it doesn’t last nearly as long (comparing seconds to hours). So while they both spike my symptoms, the nicotine high goes away so quickly that I do not mind it nearly as much. I have to avoid benzos for work and I don’t like them anyway. Too easy to get hooked and end up with more problems.

• Like Like x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Pierce Wolf

Pierce Wolf Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Time for another update as things have once again changed.

So recently I’ve noticed my bad ear’s tinnitus is almost as low in volume as the other good ear. This is huge for the tinnitus in the other ear Is so low volume I never even noticed it before my incident. The bad ears ring is although much higher pitched. Sleeping is becoming a lot easier as a result. I will say this is with constant earplug use mind you, if I expose my bad ear at all to sounds the ring goes way up to old levels.

Oh, and I’ve recognized the hypersensitivity from overprotection. I can really clearly tell how my one ear hears things much much louder than the other and not just because it’s distorted and painful.

My pain reactions without the earplug is somewhat more manageable though, I’ve now gone almost whole days without needing an earplug. Albeit very stagnant days of sitting inside and playing video games or watching YouTube or doing simple chores (watering garden, making meals, doing laundry). Still the shower and car air conditioning seem to set off the distortions more than anything.

The vertigo has been very very random. The attacks aren’t happening as often but they do happen much more if I am not wearing hearing protection or if I’m doing a lot of exercise. Yesterday I hit my head on the wall by accident. It gave me one of the worst attacks in days. Close to vomiting. Sometimes I can predict them happening. I’ll hear a really loud noise and then immediately notice my ear start to vibrate and burn and soon the room starts spinning.

Oh and I’ve tried weed again and it still did spike my bad ear through the roof. It felt good to be high again. My body felt completely amazing but the ring got super super loud. Anxiety didn’t take over but it was hard to fend off. Probably going to keep use very very minimal if even at all. It’s just so hard when my girlfriend who I’m around a lot uses weed like it’s drinking water. Not to mention all the fond memories I’ve had with the plant.

But I do feel like I am still improving somewhat.

Other random things that still happen:
      • My bad ear makes almost no earwax (curious as to why this is since it always made as much as the other ear before my incident)
      • My bad ear still pops more easily than the other
      • My bad ears tinnitus spikes when chewing or flexing my jaw whereas the other ears tinnitus does no such thing

• Like Like x 2
    3. Guywithapug
      Dreaming

Guywithapug Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      Glad to see some progress. Sounds like you have reactive tinnitus. When you eat crunchy things like cereal, do you hear an elevation in the ringing momentarily?

4. Brian Newman

Brian Newman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting/loud noise
      Nothing yet progress wise. Hypercausis is horrible. I’m still trying the chiropractor, and will report back later.

• Hug Hug x 2
    5. __nico__
      No Mood

__nico__ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      chemo/barotrauma/noise/autoimmune disorder
      @Pierce Wolf, have you ever looked into asking an ENT for Lasix or Moduretic? Seems to be helpful for people who suffer from dysacusis and vertigo (combined with Betahistine) like us. I'll be giving it a shot soon.

6. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      If you're talking about me, keep in mind this hasn't really done anything substantial for distortions imo. My thudding tinnitus is what I cared about as well as my morning drones. Those still exist sadly. The thudding has become less which I attribute to Betahistine imo.

I just started on Lasix. Keep in mind Lasix can also CAUSE tinnitus (higher risk than Betahistine, but not as high as certain antibiotics).

7. __nico__
      No Mood

__nico__ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      chemo/barotrauma/noise/autoimmune disorder
      Thanks for the tip. I'll be getting Moduretic though.

8. AliasM
      Depressed

AliasM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Botched lumbar puncture, CSF leak
      They need to do so much more research so our recovery can be more predictable.

The right ear that my tinnitus started in (moved to the left ear a few weeks later) is my ear with better hearing. The right was my bad tinnitus ear, but now it is my better tinnitus ear... but even though the right is now my better tinnitus ear, it is the one that has the pain hyperacusis. It hurts like hell. My bad tinnitus ear does not have hyperacusis. The right is the one that pops and blocks, but the worse tinnitus ear (with the worse hearing) does not. The sound in my worse tinnitus ear is somatic and increases with neck movement. The tinnitus in my hyperacusis ear does not change volume with movement.

Like you, I can not fricking work all this out!

Since tinnitus started, the wax does not come out of my ears. I know it is building up in there and even the softening drops don't do anything. Are you sure yours isn't just building up in there too?

9. Brian Newman

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting/loud noise
      Well guys I'm fucked! After all my problems I just got in a car accident, those airbags destroyed my hearing. I hopped on Prednisone right away while I was in the hospital.

• Hug Hug x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Pierce Wolf

Pierce Wolf Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Let us know how it goes and if you think the Prednisone was helpful at all!

11. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I went through an airbag deployment a couple years ago with no Prednisone and no issues, thankfully. It wasn't a side impact, those are worse.

12. Brian Newman

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting/loud noise
      Prednisone is helping a lot. I called my ENT for another week's dose. Lol whenever I'm on Prednisone, my hyperacusis goes away. It's so nice. I also get really calm and happy when I'm on it. But I feel the swelling starting to go down.

• Like Like x 1
    13. Marin
      Happy

Marin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSNHL (probably previous noise exposure, too)
      Wow, I hope your hyperacusis stays down when you taper off the Prednisone. How much are you taking to get such a dramatic effect?

14. Brian Newman

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting/loud noise
      I’m taking 40mg for 7 days, then taper off.

15. Marin
      Happy

Marin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSNHL (probably previous noise exposure, too)
      Got it, thanks! I’ve been tempted to ask for Prednisone myself, but my worsening is months old now so I have doubts of it helping me. I still can’t help but be curious, though...

16. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You've never had worse tinnitus or low frequency wavering coming off of the steroids?

I agree things are definitely better on them.

17. Brian Newman

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting/loud noise
      Well maybe. I got bad hyperacusis after I got off them, and the fluttering went from my right ear to my head. I was in a car accident and blew out my ears again so I had to take it.

18. Brian Newman

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting/loud noise
      To be honest I’m getting addicted to Prednisone. My ears feel amazing when I’m on this shit. I can go to the gym with no problems. And believe it or not I can sleep so amazing on it. It’s like taking Xanax before bed. Prednisone used to make me anxious and give me panic attacks but once you get used to it, it honestly makes you high.

19. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's all fun and games until your adrenal glands atrophy or you get hip necrosis.

I agree though. While on high doses of Prednisone I'm basically cured... but coming off of them has never been worth it for me. I always ended up worse off. Granted I wasn't given much in terms of real tapering over months.

A doctor friend of mine said if I'm healthy I could stay on it if it meant living... and to taper super slow over months off.

My family doctor didn't think that way. Cut cold turkey and got left with wavering drones.

20. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I initially didn't read this sorry.

It does NOT sound like Meniere's... but it does sound like third window syndrome or a fistula. Both are rare but if the event you had was traumatic enough it could've lead to a rupture, or killed enough hair cells to allow the dissidence to finally become apparent.

Both are treatable, but good luck getting testing for them. You having a full out flat spin with noise playing "should've been" a dead give away...add to that anything that increases CSF (like exercise) and you go for a ride, if just screams to me fistula. My bet would be is if you took a fast elevator ride or went in a plane you'd start feeling spins too. That ENT should be able to at least "consider it" and try a bloodpatch in the ear to see if it helps...and if it does then you know what's what (and might need surgery). "At least"..they are fixable. Diuretics or steroids won't help or fix (diuretics might "slow" the leak) either condition, they need intervention. third window doesn't get worse, fistula may.
      Any hearing loss at all? Any old audiograms to compare (that would be fabulous to compare air bone gaps, as a fistula/third window "should" leak out sound energy, showing a larger air bone gap).
      Don't let them plug your ears during the air bone gap test. It will screw up the low frequencies and look larger than they really are due to occlusion (a few papers on this with blinded trials showing clear differences even going as far as 15db due to bias and bad methods). Anything bigger than 10db I'd be wondering about, (especially if you get dizzy during the test or tympanogram)...the best thing to have would be a "healthy" audiogram, even if it's from years ago to refer to.
      The ENTs obsession with hearing loss below 25db to finally do something just baffles me.