Been Lurking. My VERY High-Pitched Tinnitus Noise Bothers Me Most — Potential Cures on the Horizon?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by PhoenixAcademy, Mar 30, 2020.

1. PhoenixAcademy

PhoenixAcademy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise?
      Hello all,

I have tinnitus (lol why I'm here). I had brief periods of tinnitus since I was a child but I think being a musician finally did me in. I was around some really loud amps and PA's before but something about a particular experience seems to have done me in, it's been over a year.

My tinnitus is multiple tones that seem to come and go day by day but the one that really bothers me is a very very VERY high pitch noise. It is not there everyday but the days that it is there are HORRIBLE.

I've read some stuff here and elsewhere talking about potential cures* on the horizon but I need someone with a bit more knowledge to set me straight on what's coming, if anything.

Looks like I'm part of the gang now.

• Like Like x 2
    2. Tweedleman
      Depressed

Tweedleman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Noise
      Hey, welcome to the forum.
      So your tinnitus is evidently from noise exposure/damage to the inner ear (cochlea). Your brain is basically filling in missing auditory stimuli with it's own noise (maladaptive plasticity).

We are currently awaiting regenerative medicine to repair the damaged structures within the cochlea. Restoring these auditory pathways should restore hearing and thereby reverse ("cure") some or all of the tinnitus.

The two main cochlear structures susceptible to noise damage are (1) the outer and inner hair cells, and (2) the synapses that connect them to the auditory nerve. We've got drugs in clinical trials targeting both. Many of us will probably need at least one drug for both.

Hair cell regrowth:
      FX-322
      Audion's REGAIN
      Hough's Injection

Synapse repair:
      OTO-413
      PIPE-515
      Hough's Pill

~5 years seems to be a reasonable expectation for when we will start to see some of these drugs come to market. Some of the others on the forum are working on a layman's guide to regenerative medicine, but until then we have threads for each of these drugs in the research news section you can check out.

Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 3
      • Helpful Helpful x 2
    3. AfroSnowman
      Balanced

AfroSnowman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nonnatural energy source
      I'd just add to Tweedleman's synopsis that realistically maybe as soon as next year the long awaited Susan Shore device will come to market. This is a bimodal nueromodulation treatment. Right now there is Lenire with a first generation of this tech which while it has several converts seems mostly to be underwhelming. The general consensus is that Susan Shore's device (University of Michigan) is build on much more robust research and there is a lot of reasonable hope that it will allow a significant amount of relief to those with somatic tinnitus. There is an extensive thread on the topic.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PhoenixAcademy

PhoenixAcademy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise?
      Thanks for the info Tweedleman. 5 years huh?

5. Tweedleman
      Depressed

Tweedleman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Noise
      Yep. This is why I've been an advocate for cryosleep.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Would you say that as time goes on there are more and more days when it isn't there?

Check out
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...eone-else-who-has-tinnitus.26850/#post-307822

• Like Like x 1
    7. Peter61

Peter61 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      I've read some stuff here and elsewhere talking about potential cures* on the horizon but I need someone with a bit more knowledge to set me straight on what's coming, if anything.
      https://www.frequencytx.com
      Hopefully this biotech will provide us with a cure eventually.

• Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PhoenixAcademy

PhoenixAcademy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise?
      • Hug Hug x 1
    9. Nothisispatrick

Nothisispatrick Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Don’t know
      Will the Hough Pill or FX-322 help with all tinnits? What about Susan Shore's device? Is it solely for somatic tinnitus or all tinnitus? Sorry just a bit confused.

I’m not even sure how I got tinnitus. Started out of the blue then I ended up having an ear infection/retracted ear drum 2ish weeks later. Wasn’t exposed to loud noises or take ototoxic drugs (I have always been aware of ototoxic drugs since my father lost his hearing in his right ear from cancer treatment a few years back). I don’t even take aspirin etc for headaches. I just drink water. The only pill I ever took which was back in February a few weeks before innitus was amoxicillin/small dose of prednisone. Tinnitus started March 13th or 14th. But I took amoxicillin/prednisone on February 20th.

10. HopeforAll
      Curious

HopeforAll Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress? Pepcid? Airplane? Delayed onset from club 12 days b4
      That's good news that your T is not constant. If you protect your ears and give it time to rest maybe you will have less episodes. It's best having not having it constant.