Best Guess on When Tinnitus Will Be Cured?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Eric N, Jan 22, 2013.

?

When will tinnitus be cured?

1. 2019

2. 2020

3. 2021

4. 2022

5. 2023

6. 2024

7. 2025

8. 2026

9. 2027

10. 2029

11. Later than 2029

12. Never

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Harrison

Harrison Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Maybe exercise and yoga aren't a waste of time if you have accepted your tinnitus. However if you're still obsessing about it, constantly thinking about it, then I don't think you'll reep the benefits of things like exercise. Acceptance is for sure very important!

2. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      I read somewhere that treating ear and hearing disorders is at a similar point than treating eye disorders about 10-20 years ago. We know have all sorts of lasik surgeries etc which probably sounded like miracles back then. Now as we know research funding is growing not only to T but hearing disorders in general.

So... my guess is around 5-10 years.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Harrison

Harrison Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5-10 years taking into account that it takes 10 years give or take for any medicine to be approved for public use?

4. Harrison

Harrison Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I think we are talking more 20+ for an effective treatment and 30+ for a cure unfortunately

5. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      4-5 years mark my words

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Funny Funny x 1
    6. Harrison

Harrison Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Bear in mind that eye treatments are made out to be more advanced than they actually are! In a lot of cases laser eye surgery is not permanent!

7. Harrison

Harrison Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Well fingers crossed!

• Like Like x 1
    8. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Between succesful regeneration of auditory nerve fibers with stemcells,genvec haircell regeneration with gene therapy,autifony therapeutics with kv3 modulation,microtransponder with VNS therapy,standford university and the hearing loss foundations promise to cure hearing loss with stemcells and giant leaps forward in this research,auris medicals am 101,DBS,focused ultra sound surgery and TCNS there is a lot to cross my fingers for.

• Like Like x 3
    9. alifalijohn

alifalijohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/14
      Love your blog. Very helpful!

10. Harrison

Harrison Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Thank you, glad I could help/inspire! Remember everyone it most circumstances in comes down to the old saying 'mind over matter' our brain is unimaginably powerful. With are bodies being such a complex system there is bound to be things that go wrong, things go wrong with our body's everyday. However you are unaware, that's because you don't know, you aren't thinking about it. Now don't get me wrong, ignoring your tinnitus won't miraculously make it disappear. But what it will do is make you stop thinking about the condition in such a negative manner. This in turn will naturally take away the emphasis of the condition which in turn will reduce it's severity. I'll give you an example, I got slapped around the head in primary school (year 3). As a result of this my eardrum burst and damaged, not badly or anything, my hearing is luckily still intact. However it was bad enough to give me tinnitus. Now I went through my whole childhood thinking that everyone had ringing in the ears at night (that's when I heard it most) therefore I automatically thought it was normal and it didn't bother me in the slightest. It never crossed my mind. I had the happiest most joyful childhood ever in the countryside with my pals. However on turning 16 I started questioning it, that's when I found out it wasn't normal. And guess what? That's when it bothered me! That's when I got down! Now at 17 I have almost resorted back to my childhood self where tinnitus does not bother me in the slightest. The world is my oyster and I won't be dragged down by something so unimportant in the grand scheme of things!

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    11. Harrison

Harrison Member

Tinnitus Since:
      If you continue to allow tinnitus to rule your life then one day you might fall ill with something a lot more serious, something potentially life threatening. Only then will you see that tinnitus isn't all that bad. And you'll be racked with regret on how you didn't live your life, happy and lovingly! Put tinnitus into perspective now and stick your middle finger up to it before it's to late!

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    12. alifalijohn

alifalijohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/14
      Thank you..well said! keep intouch,,you made my day God bless!

13. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      I like the theory of accepting T, making T your friend or just ignoring it. Have heard this several times.

But trust me, my head is buzzing like crazy. I was able to hear my T today in the loudest restaurant with hundreds of people and kids. We were yesterday at the beach and I could hear it loud and clear when standing at the water with crushing waves. You could say I am obsessed about it. But this sound and loudness unfortunately cannot be simply ignored.

Nevertheless, I have learned here and on the yuku board, that even loud, dentist drill T, is livable.
      So I will hopefully see in some time how habituation feels like.

Prayers to all.

14. bper12

bper12 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      The cure for Tinnitus will not occur for a very long time, Tinnitus is not one of the conditions that is on the publics radar. The big C and related conditions is what is drawing all the funding for research. As a sufferer you will need to contact your representative in your governing bodies and tell them how this is effecting your life and that funds should be made available for research to help with this condition, you may not benefit from your action but your younger loved ones that develop this condition may benefit.

15. Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      The reality is that nobody here has any clue. I have been perusing this thread and find that estimates (biased as they may be) of the time-till-a-cure range from a few years to a century hence.

There are scientists currently working on viable treatments; but as has been pointed out, we should not put our lives on hold waiting for them to come to fruition.

My opinion is that the healthiest approach is to accept your tinnitus for what it is; do what is necessary (yoga, TRT, medication, etc.) to live a full life with this condition; and if you derive pleasure (which I do, by the way) from the hope that quieter times may be around the corner, then allow yourself that pleasure.

-Golly

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    16. Harrison

Harrison Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I can't imagine what it's like to have T that bad and I don't want to pretend like I do know what you're going through! However there just is know sense in obsessing about it! Like golly said don't put your life on hold waiting for some amazing cure. Learn to deal with it, accept it, appreciate that it's a minor condition compared to others and live life happy and if a cure does happen to be found then great! But don't sit here waiting for it. Go make your mark on the world and change it for the better!

17. GMac14

GMac14 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 30, 2013
      My audiologist suggested that even having to take a pill daily to cure tinnitus would be more of a hassle than just habituating to it. I see the logic in her argument but part of me will never agree.

• Funny Funny x 1
    18. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      My 2nd ENT said that I have minimal high frequency loss somewhere around 6000Hz in my left ear. I am not a candidate for a hearing aid.

I guess it will be the hair regeneration that will help this kind of T. The ATA says there will be a cure within years--by then I'll be an old lady. :)

19. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      We never know what's arround the corner. But for sure, the more resesarchers find in the hearing puzzle, the more likely there will be some advances in treatments. They need some novel tools, some novel classes of drugs to optimize targeting and delivering. If we look at developements in surgery technology, it improved a lot...
      So it's all about developing tools they have a clear functionality. That's why research and understanding the cause on a molecular basis is so important. And research is going on even we still don't have cures. They know a lot more in hearing biology than they did 10 years ago. If hearing organs would be as big as a heart and we could see the mechanics behind everything would be much easier. As soon sound enters the inner ear, all happens in a microstructural and molecular level... so this acesses must be developed. Visualisation of the problems and understanding their role is the most essential part.

20. earsnothappy

earsnothappy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      I'm a firm believer that with 5-7 years there will be a cure not only for tinnitus, but there will also be a treatment for hearing loss (growing the hairs back).

• Funny Funny x 1
    21. Jay M
      Thinking

Jay M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/14
      Less than 20 to 30 years! Why do I believe? I had Lasik eye surgery on both eyes over 10 years ago and I have 20/10 some times 20/20 vision. Before I could not read any thing at arms length. To this day I still can believe that technology and methods of that procedure has continued to improve and been able to accomplish this miracle.
      It's just a matter of time but it will happen.

22. chronicburn
      Confused

chronicburn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      My guess is 10years for something that has a big succes rate in suppressing T, looking at Autifony and AM-101 things are improving at high speeds, curing it definitely will be something else, might take a very long time as the brain is probably the biggest mystery in the human body.

23. kmohoruk
      Nerdy

kmohoruk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2005
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise, Ear Infection, TMJ
      I think for many people, it's not necessarily a cure that they're looking for. Just something that would help reduce the volume. Maybe a medication or something?

Sadly I think people of my generation will be bringing this issue to the forefront due to constant iPod use, loud concerts and well...louder everything really!

24. Greg Clarke

Greg Clarke Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, Live Music
      I don't think it will be cured in our lifetime but I do think relief is imminent.

There's a lot of high quality research going on at the minute and some of the trials that are in progress sound promising so I definitely think relief is on the way in some shape or form. < 10 years.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    25. Afeef
      Cowboy

Afeef Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Hello !

I m really desperate for a cure to this Tinnitus problem and i think everyone has experienced that it sometimes gets really hard to cope with T and there are lots of people with their success stories telling they are not bothered by there T which does give hope that we can habituate too, but for me T is unpredictable as sometimes gets high to very high sometimes low in volume which makes it hard to habituate. Many people are also experimenting with different drugs and other stuff and I also wanted to try anything .

I just want to know if anyone has any info on when there can be a possible cure ?

How long will it take ?

I am hoping it to be soon for all of us.

26. geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure + Antibiotics
      I hope there is a cure soon, but I won't rely on one.

I think hoping for a cure is only delaying habituation, if you try everything to get habituated that is the best way imo, then if there is a cure that's an added bonus. I would be surprised if it's ever cured completely, but there surely must be things they can use to quieten it down in the next 5 years or so.

27. Dubbyaman
      Angry

Dubbyaman Member Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Excessive loud noise
      30 percent of people who have had their auditory nerve cut got rid of their tinnitus. That means that in 30 percent of cases, it is in some part of the ear so how can something be cured that has many different points of origin?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    28. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      October 5th, 2049

• Creative Creative x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    29. David S

David S Member Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      It is assumed that 70% of all T is inner ear based. At least in the beginning and it might stay so for a very long time. Even if it spreads to brain original problem in the ear might still have to be solved. Here is pretty much all the molecules to hold your breath for. It´s quite a lot of money invested in this so i belie that the teams behind this very positive. Clinical trials are about to start for all of them except Auris and AM-101 that are in clinical trial stage 3. Lets hope and pray that the 3 drugs that not yet is tested in a bigger scale shows to be even more efficient to treat T. Except for this there is not much on the horizon for inner era treatment. If any of the molecules really dose it´s job we should have exiting news late 2015 or 2016.

Sensorion
      is spun off from Inserm that just recently raised a total of €8.2 million. In other words well founded. Based in France.

Their approach SENS-111
      SENS-111 is the first representative of the histamine type 4 receptor antagonist class tested in inner-ear pathologies. This drug candidate displays a neuromodulation effect of the neurosensorial inner ear cell function and is being developed for the symptomatic treatment of bouts of vertigo or tinnitus. SENS-111 is a small molecule that can be taken orally or via a standard injection, and is currently tested in human in phase 1b.

Arius medical has been around for many years and based I Switzerland. Well founded with cache exceeding US$50 million.

Their approach AM-101
      Auris Medical is developing AM-101 for the treatment of acute inner ear (peripheral) tinnitus following traumatic cochlear injury or otitis media (middle ear infection). AM-101 contains Esketamine hydrochloride, an N-Methyl-D-Aspartate (NMDA) receptor antagonist, formulated in a biocompatible and fully biodegradable gel. It is administered in one treatment cycle, comprising three intratympanic injections over 3 to 5 days into the middle ear. From there the drug diffuses through the so-called round window membrane into the cochlea.

Personal note: I am not really convinced about this drug. Ether it´s not the right one or the concentrations does not get high enough in the inner ear. Some member TT members already had the drug up to 9 times. About half of the members seams positive and about half neutral or negative. Guess we had hoped for a little more…

Otonomy is a US based company. The best founded with cache exceeding US$150 million.

Their approach OTO-311
      OTO-311 is a sustained-exposure formulation of the N-Methyl-D-Aspartate receptor (NMDA-R) antagonist gacyclidine in development for the treatment of tinnitus. The goal of our OTO-311 program is to develop a sustained-exposure formulation of gacyclidine that will provide a full course of treatment from a single IT injection. We plan to file an Investigational New Drug (IND) application with the FDA for OTO-311 and to initiate a Phase 1 clinical trial in 2015. In November 2014, we announced the completion of an exclusive license agreement with Ipsen that enables us to use clinical and non-clinical gacyclidine data generated by Ipsen to support worldwide development and regulatory filings for OTO-311.

Synphora
      is a small Swedish medtec company. Not so well founded but keep their cost low. The are right now running a clinical trail for Menière’s disease with 130 patients (only in Sweden). They believe the same drug could work to treat Tinnitus.

Their approach Latanoprost
      Acoustic trauma triggers a cochlear overstimulation which may cause an excess release of glutamate in the synapse between the inner hair cells and the auditory nerve. An up-regulation of NMDA glutamate receptors may also occur. Both processes occurring simultaneously may in turn lead to a massive Ca2+ release of and activation of pro-apoptotic signaling cascades in the spiral ganglion cells and ultimately cell death decreasing auditory nerve activity.
      Latanoprost, and other prostaglandin PGF2α analogues, have been shown to a exert neuroprotective effect, e.g. against glutamate toxicity in retinal ganglion cells. This effect is independent of its effect of lowering intra-ocular pressure through activation of the uveoscleral outflow of ocular fluid. A potential suggested mechanism for its neuroprotective effect has been the suppression of Ca2+ and as a consequence apoptosis.
      Salicylate-induced tinnitus has been suggested to be due to excessive arachidonic acid levels due to the blockade of COX1-2. The arachidonic acid would then potentiates the effect of glutamate causing a dysregulation of cochlear NMDA receptors. An alternative interpretation is that the reduced levels of cochlear prostaglandin following COX1-2 inhibition may elicit tinnitus assuming that endogenous PGF2α generated in the cochlea, is important for the normal physiologic hearing process.

• Informative Informative x 4
    30. CantHearUknockin

CantHearUknockin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Most frustrating part is to know that there is a cure, just haven't found it yet.

• Like Like x 1