Bill Gates Foundation

Discussion in 'Awareness & Fundraising' started by John G, Mar 28, 2016.

1. John G

John G Member

2. Dutchy
      Not worthy

Dutchy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neuronmodulation suggests noise induced?
      I believe someone already wrote/contacted them regarding T research funding.

I believe it was declined also the culprit of which can be somewhat found in How-We-Work: "For example, scientific research projects may be measured differently than efforts to expand vaccine coverage."

I guess we could make a suggestion that T is a nasty bugger :p.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      John G

John G Member

@Dutchy ya T is a bugger. I was ready to write an email to the foundation but it would have been jibberish to the person that reads it.. haha. Still would be worth it if someone could draft a nice letter though. Wouldn't hurt sending one again... I guess.

4. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Should ask Bill Gates about it when he does one of those AMAs on Reddit. Though, it's hard to get anyone to care about tinnitus unless they suffer from it themselves.

• Agree Agree x 5
    5. spingee
      Wtf

spingee Member

Bill Gates has disappointed me. He could do much grater things then making vaccines for african children.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Bill Gates does a lot more good than a lot of other very rich people.

• Agree Agree x 5
    7. RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loss of hearing and then stress and anxiety
      I wrote a letter on hearing loss and tinnitus. I never got a response back.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    8. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      Just saw this today which is why I am checking in with TinnitusTalk on this fine Thursday evening:

www.gatesnotes.com/About-Bill-Gates/Accelerating-Innovation

The Bill Gates Foundation has been mentioned a number of times in the past (in various threads) here on TinnitusTalk. In the article above, Mr. Gates outlines four focus areas that he sees as important for any future (political) leadership to "manage". Two of these focus areas include disease - with one especially referring to degenerative neurological disease. This does not include tinnitus per se, but it is nonetheless interesting that diseases are so high on his list (not that I disagree with the list).

I used to think that doctors were the most important asset to the field of medicine. Then I realized that plain common sense is even more important.

9. Paul10

Paul10 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Seems like the only route is making the American big pharma industry see how profitable a viable T medication would be. There is so many drugs that seem to help people lower their T (like benzos for some), it just seems like it wouldn't be too difficult to study this and find a solution for a company money-driven enough.

• Like Like x 2
    10. JurgenG
      Approved

JurgenG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure / headphone accident maybe?
      Or we try to reach the "big public" like those challenges you see on social media.

11. Samir
      Obedient

Samir Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      What challenges would that be?

12. JurgenG
      Approved

JurgenG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure / headphone accident maybe?
      Ice bucket, Mannequin Challenge, etc.

13. Localboy

Localboy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss from concerts, hunting, tools, and accident
    14. IvanRus

IvanRus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity
      Yes, Bill Gates donates funds. Recently, he donated considerable funds for research on Alzheimer's disease. And even later - he allocated $ 40 million to create an "ideal cow". This is a nonsense. $40 million!

While studies of tinnitus, and hearing loss, as its main cause, remain on the backyard of the attention of businessmen and the public. This is very, very sad. After all, a biosensor is very important!

Soon people plan to already populate Mars, and we still do not even have an experimental medicine or a method for treating hearing and tinnitus. Insultingly small amounts are allocated.

We should write to Bill Gates, and also, perhaps, Jeff Bezos and Charles Feeney, asking for help in this direction.

Here there is a nuance - formally an individual (that is, an ordinary person, not an organization) can not directly address financial assistance. Therefore, we need to find a valid reliable company that is engaged in research in the field of recovery of hair cells (legal entity), and ask to transfer funds to their account. This is not an easy task. Who can take this seriously ?! Otherwise, we can stay away from our problem.

15. jer

jer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Well, just because someone once applied, does not mean we can't do it again. Does anyone on this forum have any experience writing for grants or something along those lines?

I would be more than willing to help draft a letter. It can even be posted here online for the entire community to put their thoughts and input in. Anyone willing to take the lead in this? A native english speaker and someone who can very eloquently put their thoughts on paper would be preferred for taking the lead.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. dan26
      Frustrated

dan26 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      very bad concussion motorcycle accident
      I wrote a while back to the foundation and received no response. Guess they are busy counting their money. If all these super rich billionaires would donate some money, I bet something could be found pretty quick!!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1