Can Tinnitus Affect My Brain, Cognition, Concentration and My Ability to Do Mathematics?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Breakfastisready, Dec 9, 2020.

1. Breakfastisready
      Amused

Breakfastisready Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably musical concerts
      Hi,

I am training to be a mathematician, currently doing a PhD. For my work, it is very important to be able to think clearly and maintain good cognition, reasoning. I like to sip tea or coffee while working (cutting on coffee now) and spend long periods of intense focus. My tinnitus often creeps up and destroys my concentration. Especially in the past month this has been happening a lot as my tinnitus has gotten worse.

I have read in various places that tinnitus could have a damaging effect on the brain. What kind of effects am I looking at? I feel very anxious that this may eventually compromise my ability to do mathematics. Do you think I should look into other professions?

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I don't have much to say except that I saw one doctorate paper (or whatever it's called) that found no correlation between high-pitched tinnitus and cognitive and academic performance, and that I know a guy who got his PhD in audiology with tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    3. MBH

MBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overloaded stress
      Take a break from it, and go back to it. You might have to repeat throughout the day. But it helps in a big way. I kept working this way.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    4. Steph1710
      Old hag

Steph1710 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antibiotics - I think
      If it helps, I managed to sit and pass all my final exams at university with very loud high pitched tinnitus. That was when I first developed it too, and it was very loud at that point.

I believe you'll be fine. Just have to believe that you can still do it. :)

• Like Like x 2
      • Useful Useful x 1
    5. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      Probably more the psyche then the brain itself.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    6. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      Turn on some music or white noise. Your tinnitus sounds pretty mild.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    7. hans799
      Mellow

hans799 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened Dec 2016 by headphones
      Hey,

I'm a software engineer which also requires long periods of concentration and lengthy chains of abstract thought. Tinnitus and various other ear-related issues have been torturing me all year long, yet I just had my end-of-year performance discussion and according to that I did splendidly.

So I don't think tinnitus will gradually trash your brain. In my experience, a habituated tinnitus sufferer's performance is no different from a tinnitus-free person's.

Also it's worth noting that everyone has issues that detracts from their performance. Maybe they have chronic pain, or insomnia, or their relationship is in the dumps, or their kid is sick. You're not competing against perfect humans as a disadvantaged tinnitus sufferer. Everyone else has their own handicap, too.

• Like Like x 3
      • Winner Winner x 3
      • Agree Agree x 2
    8. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Well said @PaulBe.

@Breakfastisready,

Tinnitus can affect a person's concentration. Whenever you feel this way, take your time and work through it and you will recover. Try and not make difficulty discourage you from what you want to do. I am not saying this is easy because I have been there. Hopefully you'll get your PhD and the accomplishment will be so much sweeter, knowing that you came through adversity and become the victor.

Take care
      Michael

PS: Please try and keep away from reading too much about tinnitus and the way it can affect a person, because it can destroy positive thinking.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Breakfastisready
      Amused

Breakfastisready Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably musical concerts
      Thanks a lot for this, @hans799. Nice persepective!

Thanks for the courage.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    10. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      This does not happen to me. I can still read and concentrate despite tinnitus.

Tinnitus for me tends to interfere with speech and also to decipher a foreign language etc... for obvious reasons, and coupled with hearing loss it slows perception of sound. It is like one just heard a sentence but low in volume (hearing loss) and slow motion, and with vowels highlighted and consonants dimmed. So it is just a matter of poor speech recognition due to hearing issues.

That said, I don't think it can make a difference when concentrating on math problems, on something written.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    11. buttercake

buttercake Guest

Hi @Breakfastisready, how is it going for you?

I am in the same boat as you, I am also completing my PhD in Mathematics. I read the other thread of yours and I would recommend to talk to your advisor(s) and see if you can get some little break from research (that can be enough brain draining per se). I am pretty sure that they can manage to find funds to finance your project for few months longer, if needed. When I spoke with my advisor he told me to take a break for a little while; he also had tinnitus from noise trauma thus he understands.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1