Cerebrolysin (BDNF - GDNF - NGF - CNTF)

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by ma7555, Jun 27, 2022.

1. danielthor

danielthor Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      2 mg.

• Informative Informative x 1
    2. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      That's the amount I was taking years ago before I gradually tapered off my benzodiazepine use. For perspective, 2 mg is considered a fairly high dose. Many people only take 0.5 to 1 mg daily.

3. danielthor

danielthor Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I was prescribed 1 mg x 3 times a day. But 1 mg doesn’t do much for my brain disorder symptoms which is what it originally was intended for. I found 2 mg to be much better for that so now I suffer through the first half of the day and take the 2 mg later on and have it last till I go to sleep.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi @danielthor -- I have a history of brain concussion and Lyme Disease, both of which can cause various brain disorders. I've dealt with many over the years, and have long searched for anything that might help give me relief. I regularly used Klonopin (Clonazepam) for 3-4 years, averaging about 2 mg a day. Recently I discovered a device that helps calm my system down that is quite profound, and still almost hard to believe. I wrote about my discovery in the following post:

Tone Pacer PRO App — Has a Very Soothing Effect on My Auditory Cortex

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ma7555
      Doubtful

ma7555 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bupropion
      No, I have normal hearing up to 8 kHz. I think I have some "mild" hearing loss in my bad ear above this region though when compared to my good ear when I do a home test.

6. ThomasF
      Creative

ThomasF Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably loud music
      Ah then that makes me think these IM or IV shots might not work for me. I have Hidden Hearing Loss so my Hearing itself is fine, just something is damaged nerve wise or something similar. Hopefully they'll get some BDNF meds using Nanoparticles or something eventually. Thanks by the way.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ma7555
      Doubtful

ma7555 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bupropion
      But please note that I got tinnitus as a side effect from a medication "Wellbutrin" and it was instant after just 1 pill. I doubt my "hidden" hearing loss is related to my tinnitus.

• Hug Hug x 2
    8. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hii @ma7555 -- I got my tinnitus as a "side effect" from an anti-nausea medication "Promethazine". It showed up the next morning as a 10+++ screeching catastrophic trauma. Thankfully, four years later, it's improved considerably, but still difficult to deal with. Sorry you had a similar experience.

• Hug Hug x 4
    9. LostinTX
      Not amused

LostinTX Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      poss ototoxicity/unknown/BVVP diagnosed first then tinnitus
      Just saw this. No, I haven't tried this one yet but have come close to ordering it! I may order and try soon.

• Like Like x 2
    10. SmallRonnie
      Ape-like

SmallRonnie Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      H since 2018. T since 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      You can just order it? I thought you wouold have to get it through a doctor. Where can you get it?

• Good Question Good Question x 3
    11. LostinTX
      Not amused

LostinTX Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      poss ototoxicity/unknown/BVVP diagnosed first then tinnitus
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    12. SmallRonnie
      Ape-like

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Thank you.

I might try this out for my pain hyperacusis and tinnitus. BDNF is the compound in OTO-413.

I might want to speak to a neurologist first though. It sounds like it would be good for people who have damage in the ear from noise exposure since it repairs tissue/nerves.

Need to see if I can take it while taking Nortriptyline.

There are other peptides too like BPC-157 but that one has more reported side effects. Still some people had good results with their tinnitus while others had bad.

I might try stem cells first though since they are probably safer than this. Probably more effective too imo but it's hard to say.

EDIT:

I found a source for something very similar to Cerebrolysin called P21 at Peptide Sciences.

Apparently, this is the best source. Unless you can get it from your doctor but I cannot. I actually did see a recommendation for the one you linked too though. Personally, I'm going to stick with Peptide Sciences just based on all the glowing reviews. You need to take Cerebrolysin intra muscular or IV whereas P21 can be taken subcutaneously so that's a big plus for me too.

So, P21 is meant to be similar to Cerebrolysin but just more efficacious. They explain it here.

I'm going to order some and try it out on top of a bunch of other peptides. Going to order Semax too which also enhances BDNF.

I was reading some user reports of both Cerebrolysin and P21 and heard a couple horror stories where two people had very bad cognitive effects after taking high doses of about 2 mg intranasally. They experienced massive mood lift initially but a couple days later they had a lot of adverse cognitive effects so don't do that lol. They may have recovered though but didn't come back to report.

I also read a paper that said too much BDNF is actually a bad thing but I don't know how much that would correspond to with these.

It's meant to have good cognitive effects even if it doesn't help with tinnitus.

EDIT #2:

I found a random article on hearing loss where a doctor tried to treat his hearing loss with a course of several drugs and supplements which included Cerebrolysin and Piracetam.

13. Ela Stefan

Ela Stefan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      For how long had you taken Clonazepam before your tinnitus onset?

After stopping Clonazepam, is it wise to use supplements and BDNF medicines right away? Or should you let the body heal first and, if so, for how long?

14. SmallRonnie
      Ape-like

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I got some P21 recently which is meant to be very similar to Cerebrolysin. It's meant to be more potent even. I'm going to be trying it out soon but I really am not expecting anything miraculous from it. I only got a short course just to test it out. Trying Semax too along with Epithalon and Pinealon.

15. Ela Stefan

Ela Stefan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      P21 in the form of pills or injections?

16. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I took Clonazepam daily for about 3 years around 2000-2002. I didn't get tinnitus until Feb. 4, 2018 (a day that will live in infamy for me).
      Sorry, but I since I have virtually no knowledge about BDNF medicines, I can't give an informed opinion. As far as other supplements, I don't see why they wouldn't have a positive effect on tinnitus if they seem to be having a positive effect for the whole body. Like just about all supplements, it's a process of trial and error. See what works, and see what doesn't. I really like the Tone Pacer PRO I linked to in an above post.

All the Best!

• Hug Hug x 1
    17. Ela Stefan

Ela Stefan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      In the process of getting off Clonazepam (or after), did you take some supplements to recover? As I understand it, BNDF medications are also important when recovering from benzos.

Or are there people who say you don't have to take anything, not to intervene, because you would make the process of recovering from benzos worse?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    18. SmallRonnie
      Ape-like

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I have it in powder form so I'm going to mix it with BAC water and take it subcutaneously into my thigh.

Since you were asking about route of administration, don't ever take Cerebrolysin or P21 intranasally. People have had extremely bad side effects from doing so.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    19. Ela Stefan

Ela Stefan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      Can you do the injections by yourself or is it dangerous?

20. SmallRonnie
      Ape-like

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      It sounds scary but it's actually very easy to do. People with diabetes do it all the time. It only hurts a little and sometimes not at all. There's videos on YouTube that show you how to do it.

• Hug Hug x 1
    21. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, loud rock concert
      Bumping up the thread.

I plan to do intravenous Cerebrolysin injections next month.

Did anyone have positive results with it?

22. SmallRonnie
      Ape-like

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I've had P21 in my fridge now for a few months but haven't tried it. It's very similar to Cerebrolysin. Not sure if I will try it. Kind of doubt it will do anything to be honest.

23. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, loud rock concert
      When I came up with an idea to try Cerebrolysin with my neurologist, who started her early days career in Kazakhstan, she was very optimistic. She had lots of experience with patients with neurological disorders being helped by it, especially after stroke. She will not be the one to administer it to me, hence she has no direct benefit from me trying it.

24. awake 44
      Angelic

awake 44 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Years of playing in heavy metal band.
      If @Mentos will get even 1% improvement after this, I'm taking the shot as well. A doctor from Kazakhstan finds it legit. So I must consult it with him:

rs_1200x1200-201026153315-1200-sacha-baron-cohen-wild-moments.ls.jpg

In this case, I have high expectations.

• Funny Funny x 3
    25. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi @Mentos -- I haven't been following this thread closely, but if you're looking for compounds that help with neuroprotection and treating neurological disorders, you may want to look into Methylene Blue. I've been experimenting with it recently, and so far it's feeling like a game changer for me. I'm noticing significantly improved energy, and much better brain function.

I was just watching a video about using Methylene Blue after somebody has a stroke. If you click on this link, it will take you to a listing of several scientific papers on using Methylene Blue for various brain issues, including stroke. If you only watch it for a minute, you'll be able to at least familiarize yourself somewhat with the potential Methylene Blue may have for you. I'll probably start a separate thread on it sometime.

26. SmallRonnie
      Ape-like

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I do know someone with tinnitus who tried Cerebrolysin and it didn't change his tinnitus but he felt like it did have some beneficial effects.

I have Semax that I'll probably try some time.

27. James Connelly

James Connelly Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sleep deprivation
      How did you manage to get Semax in the UK/Ireland, mate?

28. SmallRonnie
      Ape-like

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Best place to order from, in my opinion, is Peptide Sciences from the US. There's a place called UK Peptides too which are kinda ok but the first one I mentioned is the most reliable.

• Helpful Helpful x 2