Change in character and localisation of tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by hps, Jun 14, 2013.

1. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure

Mine differs I think from yours Golly. The tiny clicks happen when I walk but they also happen randomly. They don't seem to have a connection with jaw or head movement for me. They are infrequent as well - perhaps on one or two days a week I will hear a few tiny clicks. The frequency isn't higher on bad T days.

They also began quite a while after me using the name 'click'. It's from the Sleeper song - clickoffgone :cool:

2. Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      Interesting; thanks for that, Click. My clicks (or crackling sounds, as I sometimes describe them) are very frequent on bad days, occurring every few seconds, all day long! -G

3. Champ
      Woot

Champ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma from headphones

I also have this. My left ear randomly "clicks" or "pops" and not only is there a sound, but I can also feel it. I thought it was ETD, but 2 ENTs and multiple tests later, nothing. I never remember hearing these sounds or focusing on them before the T happened.

It's bothered me as much as the tinnitus has, although my focus seems to jump between the two. I'm working to get to the point where neither of them matter at all to me! It's hard.

4. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      I have in the past wondered if my 'normal' T sound was actually thousands of the tiny clicks all joined together. This thread has made me wonder that again.

I know it sounds weird but put enough of the tiny clicks that I hear all together & pile them up on top of each other... if there were sufficient layers and they were clicking at different times... it could add up to my usual T noise.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Jade
      Lucky

Jade Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/07/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Genetics, Beats by Dre, Work
      Hi @click that exactly how I describe my "normal" T aswell

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      hps

hps Member

Tinnitus Since:
      14 oct 2012
      thanks for responses.
      Golly, I was also thinking that cortisol may has something to do with T. Most of sufferers experience T near 4 am. this is the time when cortisol release from adrenal starts.
      click, thanks for your reply,I think clicks your hear are sounds of nerve fibers or hair cells regenerating and making connections again. High frequency cells heal last of all because they are most exhausted.Probably these are in healing phase and are producing high tone.Do you hear this high frequency tone [when it is high] along with speech of a person or sound of a singer giving a feeling of very slight distortion of sound in high frequency region?

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      hps

hps Member

Tinnitus Since:
      14 oct 2012
      Click , you and me are constantly checking our T and our T also changes varies in pitch and localisation,I donot know if others obcess so much that is why I thaught if long term obcession changes the character and localisation continuously

8. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Hi Jade,

It's strange how it's kind of comforting to know that there are other people with almost exactly the same type of T.

A bit like having this forum... just knowing others are experiencing T & that you're not going insane really helps.

I remember back in the early days saying that my T disappears completely and then comes back - it was hard to find others who had the same symptoms... thank goodness there are some!

Click

• Like Like x 1
    9. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      @click Yes, we do share similarities! Don't you also suffer from or have had Eustachian tube dysfunction? I definitely have ETD and it's really acting up--probably because it's allergy season. I have clicking (yes, I click too--but not all the time) when I swallow. And today I have clicking and fullness underneath my ear, running down my neck. My tinnitus is currently horrible, and I think it's from the pollen. (My diet has been perfect all week; but sometimes it is perfect and I"ll still get loud.)

Long story short, tinnitus is caused by many factors, and its symptoms do vary greatly. I wonder if there's some correlation between symtomatology and etiology? And, if so, does that suggest certain treatment strategies? Just thinking! After all, what else can I do, especially when loud. Like you and so many on this board, it's impossible to believe we can do nothing to treat this disease or lessen its burden.

One last thing, does weather, colds, or allergies influence your clicking? This question is actually directed to everyone with this symptom.

10. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      @Jazz - Sorry to hear your tinnitus is bad. Mine is a variable hiss. My left hearing aid is not working right and will have to take it in. A frustrating condition. I hope you get better soon.

• Like Like x 1
    11. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      I think it is true that the symptoms of T are different depending on the cause, yes Jazz. Stands to reason that there could be many different types of damage which would all require different methods of healing - I just wish the medical profession knew more about them!

As for treatment strategies... well - apart from 'convincing our brains that it doesn't bother us' (TRT) & 'rush out to do something in the first few weeks' (which we don't because we're still in panic mode) ... do any that actually work really exist?

I did consider (along with a thousand other things) eustachian tube problems... but I really have no idea. Allergies... blockages... screwed up tubes - I just don't know. I gave up a while ago thinking about this because I had no way of establishing anything.

The only path I follow now is elimination of certain foods & then re-introduction to test if there is a definite change. Had some amazing results but I haven't hit on the perfect formula for me yet.

My clicking happens infrequently & doesn't seem to be connected with any activity such as swallowing etc. - only with exercise.

I'm lucky as I've had over 6 days now of almost nothing & the T has definitely changed in character. It's far more distant & hissy. Major factor is my first thing in the morning buzz which has lessened greatly. I'm not counting on it having changed permanently tho - just hoping!

I'm so sorry that your T is loud at the moment Jazz - hang in there - we know exactly how you feel...

Click

• Like Like x 1
    12. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
    13. carol kane
      Wishful

carol kane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      My life sucks!!! stop the world i want to get off, i don´t know how you lovely people have suffered this demon for all this time, i´ve only had it for two weeks and already i´m sick and tired of it,,, there´s no way i´m going to make it, surely there´s something, anything that can stop this insanity. I really want a glass of wine as i settle down for the evening, but oh no!!! well how about a nice coffee no no!! ( don´t have any decaff) bar of chocolate dont be silly, you don´t want a T spike i just can´t get my head around this, it´s bloody rediculous,

14. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      dear carol, please try to calm down. how come you think coffee, wine or chocolate will make you Tinnitus worse? Believe it or not, I had coffee today and ate chocolate and my Tinnitus didn't spike. So how about you try it for yourself? a friend of mine has Tinnitus and has one glass of wine every other night and he's ok. Don't fear everything because that's not necessary!If you feel like you can't deal with the anxiety anymore, please go and see a doctor as soon as possible so he can prescribe something now that you are new to it and so anxious

• Like Like x 1
    15. carol kane
      Wishful

carol kane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Well i´ve been reading about stimulants and spikes etc so i can´t have any of the above? really don´t know much at the moment!! i´m very anxious and just not coping.

16. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Sherri786 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Carol I left two more messages for you on my profile , hope you saw it .

17. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      as I said, I had coffee and chocolate today and I'm okay. So you see, just because one person thinks that a cup of coffee might have caused a spike, it doesn't mean that it was the coffee an most certainly not, that everybody's Tinnitus spikes with caffeine. How about that, you'll have a little piece of chocolate now and then you'll tell me how you feel, ok? you'll see, nothing will change at all. and please don't read too much on the internet now that you're so unstable, just go and see a doctor about it, because in the beginning almost everybody needs a little help and maybe some medication to cope better. and with time it will get better and you'll relax..

18. Balthazar

Balthazar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/13
      I don't find coffee, alcohol or chocolate have any effect on my T.

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. carol kane
      Wishful

carol kane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      No i didn´t, i´m not sure how to work this????

20. Ishank
      Wishful

Ishank Member

Tinnitus Since:
      22/12/2013
      Sometimes I feel its in my left ear and sometimes its in my right. Most of the time right ear is affected by T.

Today, I am experiencing T sound in my head (or both ear), and its louder. Is this happened to anybody else ?

21. Logan
      Stressed

Logan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Mine is usually just in both ears or in my head, I can't really tell. But my right ear is a little worse most times though my left ear is worse sometimes, tinnitus is so random for a lot of people so it is normal to change like that.

22. Asian

Asian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 weeks
      It has moved from ears to head in 3 months for me