Chewing in Earplugs Causing Tinnitus Spike

Discussion in 'Support' started by hans799, Nov 14, 2018.

1. hans799
      Mellow

hans799 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened Dec 2016 by headphones
      Was at a restaurant. It wasn't even loud, 70-75 dB (measured using a professional meter), but just to be on the safe side I had my -20 dB Alpine earplugs in.

All was fine until the food arrived. I had a salad with a lot of crunchy stuff such as onions and peppers. The crunches were quite loud due to the occlusion effect caused by the earplugs and after I finished eating I noticed that my main tinnitus sound is much louder and shriller than usual. I'm panicking.

Is it possible that I did permanent damage by 10 minutes of chewing in earplugs? It's been 2 hours now (I basically fled the restaurant) and not much change yet.

2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Chewing is unlikely to permanently damage your ears. I agree the occlusion effect caused by the earplugs can be soooo irritable. Back then when I had bad H, I went everywhere with earplugs on and in the first mean outside I could hear the chewing so loud with the earplugs on. So I stopped having the earplugs on when I ate. I guess your ears may be still in highly unstable state so even chewing with earplugs on hurt. But I doubt the spike will last as there isn't any real loud sound to damage the hearing or ears. Tray stay calm and not going into stressful mode, as that will aggravate T. Take care. God bless.

3. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It's loud enough to be annoying, but shouldn't cause any real damage. I've eaten plenty of meals with earplugs in. I agree, if it's very crunchy the occlusion effect gets bothersome.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      hans799
      Mellow

hans799 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened Dec 2016 by headphones
      Was in full-blown panic mode for the whole evening then I decided to punch the hell out and popped an Ambien. It put me out cold and now it's morning and it seems the spike has subsided.

Thank you for your support. Lesson learned: no eating crunchies in earplugs. :) Tinnitus is the gift that keeps on giving! :D

5. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      Mine always spikes/changes tones when I chew gum. At about 3 months now. Fml.