Cinema... Opinions Please

Discussion in 'Support' started by Rhea, Jun 20, 2014.

1. Rhea
      Volatile

Rhea Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi,

In the last 11 years of tinnitus I have been to he cinema numerous times with plugs in and found no immediate effect on t, the last time I went was 2013 to see the life of pi. However, the last year as my tinnitus continues to worsen inexplicably I have been avoiding any moderate noise at all feeling that it may be the reason why my t is gradually worsening year on year...but who knows.

So usually the cinema would just be a direct no BUT there is a film I really want to see with my little sister..she is 18 and we don't get to bond much as all the things I wanna do (eg quiet stuff..walks in the woods etc lol) she obviously isn't that interested in, she does the stuff I wanna do anyway as she is a good kind sister bless her..but it would be so nice to be able to do something she wants to do for once.

So yeah she really wants to see this film - Fault in our stars. It is a romance...I have read the book and there is no "action" scenes or anything like that. If I go I would wear full 32db reduction foam plugs, I would go to the smaller studio cinema screen rather than the massive jumbo one, I would also get there as the film is starting so I can miss the trailers as I know they can often be louder than the film. Still I am unsure.......this thing sucks...can't even go to see a film with my little sister without it being a worry from the moment she asks me....sigh

Anyway, anyone have any opinions on safety of cinema with full plugs in?

Thanks x

2. BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Pre order a seat in the middle of the cinema. That way you aren't sat too near to a single speaker. I'm still learning about tinnitus. But with good ear plugs, the sound level should be fine.
      I bought these today as I want to keep doing the things I enjoy http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000VO8PR0/?tag=tinntalk-21 I'm going to take them everywhere with me, so I'm always prepared. We may have tinnitus, but we still need to live and enjoy things.
      Just make sure you put your earplugs in before you enter the cinema, sit in the middle, don't take them out till you've gotten out the cinema, and I think that will be fine.
      With good earplugs in, I bet it would be no louder than walking down a busy high street. If anything you'll be safer, because anything can happen walking down town! At least when you're in the cinema with your ear plugs in, you're already prepared for any sudden loud noises that may occur. Loud noises can come from anywhere, at anytime in day to day life.
      When you think of it like that you're protecting your ears for a couple of hours BY going to the cinema with ear plugs in.
      Go for it x

• Like Like x 1
    3. Jay M
      Thinking

Jay M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/14
      Talk to the theater manager about the sound levels and request it be lowered.

• Like Like x 2
    4. citigirl13
      Happy

citigirl13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/1/14
      I think with the right precautions e.g. Picking a good seat away from speakers, and wear plugs. I would struggle at perhaps taking earmuffs as well as earplugs for the trailers as they are usually louder than the film. And take a few breaks e.g. Go to the loo, so your ears have a break. If they start hurting then I would leave. Again, you should be fine.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      Google loud movie. You might want to invest in a sound meter. Depending on the theater the DB level could be dangerously high.

• Like Like x 1
    6. george69

george69 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      go to a music store and buy some musicians ear plugs are better than the foam ones and you can get the ones that fit right

• Like Like x 1
    7. george69

george69 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Can be a little priceybut they're well worth the money you can barely even see you there in your ears

• Like Like x 1
    8. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      I agree though, i use to work in a movie theatre and i would constantly get people saying turn it down, and the projectionist most definally will. Just bring some 33 db plugs and you will be just fineee! :) i find sittin in the back helps too... Away from the screen. My first week with T i went to see hunger games 2 and it was soo packed me and my friends were forced to sit up front and i didnt have plugs at the time so i was litterly pluggin one ear at a time cause that shit was soo loud it felt like all our heads were gonna explode. But thankfully didnt have a change in T then.

• Like Like x 1
    9. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      I love film and I go to the movies all the time. I agree with those here who say you will be fine if you: Wear 32 db plugs that you put in before you walk inside, go in after the trailers (which DEFINITELY are louder, what's up with that?), and sit toward the middle if you can.

We can't let tinnitus run our lives, even though we do need to guard our ears. Go and be with your little sister. How nice that she wants to spend time with you.

Also: I wouldn't hesitate to ask the management to turn things down, as @Jay M suggested, although I doubt they will. But I often ask (nicely) at loud places that shouldn't be so loud, like restaurants and small outdoor concerts and stores where the music is blasting. I tell people I have tinnitus, and the way people commonly get it is by noise exposure -- and that they could get it too, working in such a noisy environment. Most times, they don't turn it down. But I figure I am raising awareness and if it makes even one person wear ear plugs the next time they go to the movies, its worth it.

• Like Like x 3
    10. LeQuack
      Gloomy

LeQuack Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      Same for me, used to love going to the movies, even with then mild tinnitus. But ever since it's worsened I've yet to visit a movie theater. It seems the more I take care of my ears and avoid the noise, the worse it gets.

• Agree Agree x 2
    11. citigirl13
      Happy

citigirl13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/1/14
      Might as well do what you like ;-)

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    12. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      Isn't that the truth. Think you are doing everything right to protect your hearing and relapse. I get it I'm getting old. We will habituate again!

• Like Like x 1
    13. KingRoanoke

KingRoanoke Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Look at what the dog is wearing.
      Rhea, my father is a very old man and has seen countless movies in loud theaters without earplugs and has never had ear problems. I think seeing a movie once in awhile, especially with plugs, isn't gonna do a damn thing.

I had a week where my tinnitus was ok, not perfect, but ok. And this week I am having a lot of trouble. It would be folly for me to assume anything has quantitatively or qualitatively changed with the sound in my ear. For some reason, I am not handling it better this time around. I think there is a factor at play beyond the sound itself - and it's a possibility that this factor is needlessly making you skip out on the movie.

I bet that if you go see it, there will be moments where you forget about your T. Even for a little bit. I don't see why those moments of relief can't last longer in time. We are both struggling, but we'll get there!

• Like Like x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rhea
      Volatile

Rhea Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Thanks everyone for all the responses. Still unsure whether to go or not..hmmm..7
      Well If I do go it will be on Wednesday so I will let you all know how it does (or doesn't!) go

Rhea x

15. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      garsh damnit i was at an outdoor event last weekend and the dj was SOOO loud i mean i didnt have anything to measure it by but the pavilians they had set up were right next to the speaker and they were mostly elderly people like 50's and up and i felt terrible for them having to sit next to that! The one lady said her ears were hissin and hurtin the day after :-/ I told the dj his shit was too loud and he just laughed! Thankgoodness the people who i was with pitched a tent far away to where it was safe. But people just dont take it seriously at all its ridiculous! I felt like it was at least 110 db

• Like Like x 1
    16. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      I told the dj his shit was too loud and he just laughed!

Good for you for speaking up, @Grace. Every time one of us says something, we spread awareness. Even if people laugh at us or just keep the volume up, we still are letting people know what they are doing is dangerous and wrong. I also have a decibel meter on my phone and have held it up to restaurant managers: "See, the noise level is in the red zone in here!!"

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Yup, i just figure if they wanna laugh about it now just wait until they get T and they wont be laughin no more. Sometimes its what it takes to get it sadly, ive learned my lesson for life. That event was goin on for like 8 hours and those poor older people if they didnt have T already probably got a taste of it cause some didnt move much all day and thats the key thing when your around loud music is to stay back as far as you can and still enjoy!

18. ampumpkin
      Amused

ampumpkin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 12/2007 Increase: 04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2007: Meds(Antidepressant) 2014: Meds(Antibiotics)
      I ordered a decibel meter for the next time I attend a loud event! This morning, I took public transport and was wondering what was the noise exposure for my ears... it seemed loud so I put in my earplugs...

19. JAKUB
      Approved

JAKUB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/14

Do you know to what Db level these plugs work?

20. TDCC
      Confused

TDCC Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      since june 14 2014
      WOW you guys are amazing I'm new
      with T and i can say you all give me hope Thanks!!!

• Like Like x 1
    21. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Thanks everyone for all the responses. Still unsure whether to go or not..hmmm..7
      Well If I do go it will be on Wednesday so I will let you all know how it does (or doesn't!) go

Your choice, of course. But I really hope you go, @Rhea (taking the precautions suggested). It can feel amazingly empowering to push back your fears and reclaim your life.

22. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      Did the DJ use hearing protection? When I was near someone that was playing loud music I would explain about Tinnitus. Most looked at me as if I was an A-hole.

23. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      No he didnt.. What a moron.

24. jesseslash
      Fine

jesseslash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hey Rhea,
      Here's my take: go! If you're worried about sound exposure, take plugs. If you let tinnitus control how you live, it's harder to move on. I've been through this too. I used to wear plugs to the theater early on as well. I don't any longer, normally; but, if I know I'm going to an action flick, I'll take plugs just in case. You'd be surprised to see how many people wear plugs in the theater!
      Jesse

BTW, you can get a decent (if not great) decibel meter as a download either in the Apple Store or Google, if you're a droid user.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    25. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      I judge it by the movie. I would say most that I attend require ear plugs however, occasionally, I see one that does not, most recently Grand Budapest Hotel. I went to movies last night.....had my Etymotic Er20s plugs and it was great! Go and enjoy

26. BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I've not been able to find any dB levels. The are three different levels of protection, perhaps that's why they don't state it.
      They work really well. I can tell you that. At first I wasn't so impressed. But then I realised you're meant to pull your ear up, insert and roll them in. Then you realise how good they are. They are so comfortable.

27. frohike
      Approved

frohike Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I use these ear plugs: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0026IR2SM/?tag=tinntalk-21
      I also have the expensive custom made ones, which are definitely more comfortable and easy to plug, but in decibel reduction, those “MAX” are as good as it gets (my subjective opinion).

My T is also worsening. I'm on year 5 now. I don't know why. Maybe the subway? no idea. Maybe T sufferers are beyond some kind of threshold where each worsening is more noticeable. Kind of losing hearing until you hit 30% at which point you start having difficulties understanding speech (or so I heard, not my case) and until then is just a lower volume. Or maybe changes in the brain? I'm clueless.

• Like Like x 2
    28. washashore
      Fine

washashore Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      I say go for it. Wear plugs and enjoy the movie!

29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rhea
      Volatile

Rhea Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Ok - update on the dreaded cinema visit....here we go

So I decided to go, I booked online and got seats at the back, in the middle and in the smaller screen. I took a pair of hearos foam 32db reduction plugs and also a pair of 39db reduction huge luminous yellow jumbo plugs (had them a while and can't even remember where I got them from but they are like big bad boy industrial plus)

I got there 15mins after the advertised start time in an attempt to try and avoid the trailers. I put my 32db hearos plugs in and got my prebooked tickets and went through to the corridor which all the screens are off of.....OMG...I nearly walked out at this point...some of the other screens where obviously showing action movies and I could feel the the coriddor vibrating ...at this point I decided to go into the toilets and change the hearos 32db plugs for the 39db industrial plugs (ironically the toilets had those 100db sounding hand dryers that make u feel u r standing next to a jet take off..but that's another story) So after locating the toilet the furthest away from the bloody jets (aka hand dryers) I took out the hearos plugs and put in my jumbo plugs and went back to wait outside the screen that was showing my film...I got my sister to keep poking her head through the doors to check when the film was about to start as there was no way in hell I was going in there with the trailers on..the trailers were LOUD I could hear them clearly from outside the screen with the door shut and with 39db reduction plugs in, I was leaning on the wall outside my screen and it was vibrating from the noise.

The trailers finished and the film started and we ran in and sat down and SHOCK HORROR.........the film was actually FINE!??! No problem at all..the only loud parts where the opening credits and closing credits which both had music which sounded, to me at least, quite loud...but this only lasted a minute or so at the beginning and at the end I was out of there so quick it didn't really have time to make an impact.

The only issue I had really once inside the screen was that I had pushed these jumbo plugs so deep in my ear canal out of fear that my ears were aching really bad...I loosened them a bit after 5 mins and it was fine.

Ok so in summary - 1. I wouldn't personally go and see an action film or anything which is likely to have loud scenes...I am basing this on the fact the corridor was vibrating from the noise inside of the screens that were showing action type movies...seriously I just couldn't do it. I imagine romance, comedy etc should be ok..obviously it is difficult as it depends on the exact scenes within the film.
      2. AVOID THE TRAILERS...imo they were probably twice as loud at least as the film itself
      3. Wear plugs

So, I survived and the film itself was not too loud at all much to my delight, my little sister really enjoyed it and congratulated me for being brave lol...so all in all I am glad I went :)

• Like Like x 5
    30. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Bravo, Rhea!! Good for you!

I'm glad you enjoyed the movie, and that you found it to actually be an enjoyable experience. Your description mirrored my own, the first time I went to a movie after my bad tinnitus started. I was so afraid I'd have to turn around and walk right back out of the theatre, but once it got past the trailers, I had no problems at all.

Of course, it's always good to carry those ear plugs with you whenever you go out, whether it's to restaurants, the cinema, live theatre, or a music venue. If your bars and restaurants are like ours in the U.S., they can be pretty loud! I've noticed that some of the sports bars/restaurants around here turn the volume way, way up these days, to attract a younger crowd.

This was a first step for you, and I hope you continue to try to get back out into the world. You're doing great!!

• Like Like x 3
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1