Cinema... Opinions Please

Discussion in 'Support' started by Rhea, Jun 20, 2014.

1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rhea
      Volatile

Rhea Member

Tinnitus Since:
      ah thanks Karen, that was a lovely reply :)

• Like Like x 1
    2. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      So glad you didn't give into your fears and went, @Rhea. Congratulations! As @Karen says, its a good idea to get in the habit of taking plugs with you everywhere, just in case. Proud that you kicked your T to the curb.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rhea
      Volatile

Rhea Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Thanks! and let me tell you Ladies, you have no worry about me NOT carrying plugs...I have 3 pairs on me at all times..they come about with me like another limb...I a ALWAYS prepared ;)

x

• Like Like x 1
    4. TDCC
      Confused

TDCC Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      since june 14 2014
      Karen: what type of ear plugs do you use? Next month I'm going to an Airforces tops in blue concert but I'm afraid to go this year bc of T I been going with my kids and grandkids for 30 years since i can remember.
      I'm also afraid to go see my youngest Son he plays in the concert band and here at the house he practices his saxophone all the time i go to the other room but i used to seat close by and hear him play how i deal with this> Sorry I complain to much.

5. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      @TDCC,

I'm probably not the best person to ask about ear plugs. The brand I use is called Silencio, and I don't know what the protection range for these ear plugs is. My husband actually bought them for me. I also occasionally use the over-the-counter foam ear plugs, if I need plugs with mild protection.

Here is a link (one of many) to some information on this forum about ear plugs:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/ear-plugs-and-clubbing.5180/#post-52200

Also, we have many musicians on the forum who can give you some really great information about the brands and levels of protection they provide.

Can anyone assist TDCC with the earplug question?

• Informative Informative x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rhea
      Volatile

Rhea Member

Tinnitus Since:
      @TDCC,

The highest rated noise reduction earplugs are 39db you can get them here - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00374LCFS/?tag=tinntalk-21

They are super bad boys - so if you are planning on going anywhere very loud (which personally I would avoid) then these are great...not very discreet though - they only seem to come in luminous yellow!

My earplug of choice that I usually use are "hearos foam plugs" with 32db reduction. They are comfortable, easy to apply, still give a high db reduction and they are flesh colored so not noticeable at all when wearing them. You can get them here - http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002QRR38M/?tag=tinntalk-21

There are also plugs with interchangeable filters that allow you to change the db reduction level - I tired them and personally do not trust them at all. I never seem to get a good tight fit with them and they just leave me worrying that I am not protected enough...so it's foam plugs all the way for me.

Please take the time to practice inserting your plugs if you are a new user....you may need a couple of goes to master the technique. Put the plugs in before you get to the event not while u r there and panicking. I would suggest watching some youtube videos on how to insert foam plugs also as I have noticed a lot of people put them in incorrectly which then effects the db reduction you will be getting. Finally once the plugs are in leave them alone..don't keep pushing and pulling on them as the plugs create a suction pressure in your ear and fiddling with them can irritate ear pressure and the ear drum in my experience.

Finally, have fun!

Rhea x

• Useful Useful x 2
    7. mick1987
      No Mood

mick1987 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Rhea,

I also brought some of those 39db 3m FX plugs a few months ago, I got mine from halfords and they were marketed as biker earplugs. I got them for a dentist appointment lol but weren't needed, because there was no drilling.

I'm not surprised you keep getting sore ears wearing them, I find foam plugs too uncomfortable, they feel like they over expand in the ears and cause pressure issues, ear ache etc, the pressure issues caused a lightsaber hum at night lol, that's why I tend to avoid them nowadays.

I posted because you said you tried the filter plugs but found you couldn't get a good seal on them, let me tell you I had the same issue! I tried these plugs,
      http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000BYE9G/?tag=tinntalk-20

And these,
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002Z89SRG/?tag=tinntalk-21

What I found was I couldn't get a proper seal, while wearing them noise around me sounded exactly the same, even when I spoke there was no occlusion effect, basically they weren't protecting my ears, these plugs were only a couple of pounds each so I looked for some more expensive, better quality plugs and I got these,

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&s...sQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNFbbAh_wkwmbTa8bIKdsVDw1lxcyQ

Let me tell you..their brilliant! The difference between these ones and the other filter plugs I've tried is that they are bigger, softer, when wearing them they create an instant seal. The protection is only around 19dbs but they lower noise levels ALOT, I literally have to raise my voice while wearing them, they have lowered external noise more than any earplug I've used full stop, highly recommend! (I do not work for the company lol) :)

There are some other plugs that look similar called Alpine MusicSafe Pro, might be just as good, but I haven't personally tried them so I wouldn't know.

• Like Like x 1
    8. citigirl13
      Happy

citigirl13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/1/14
      WOHOO!!!! Good for you! Am so glad it worked out for you, it seems terrible that we should avoid doing the things we love. I haven't been to the cinema since my T started, mainly because I haven't really had the chance rather than to avoid my ears, and since the cinema is so expensive these days it's easier to have a movie night at home.

I agree with all the things you said, the trailers are so much louder than the film, and seeing an action film is definitely gonna be louder. And yes, from now on I will wear plugs. It's funny but until my T started I never actually realised how LOUD everything was.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    9. TDCC
      Confused

TDCC Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      since june 14 2014
      Rhea and Karen

Thank you so much!

• Hug Hug x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rhea
      Volatile

Rhea Member

Tinnitus Since:
      @mick1987

Thanks for the advice and links. That was the fist time I used the 39db reduction plugs..they are definately longer and thicker than the hearos foam ones I usually use. I don't always have problems with the Hearos plugs - just when I insert them too deep or if i keep pushing and fiddling with them..that's when the problems come. Also as I have stated many times I probably where them far to often which doesn't help lol

I will check out the plugs You suggested and give them a go x

Rhea x

• Like Like x 2
    11. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hey @TDCC: I, and many other folks here, use Etymotics musicians plugs. They come with three different interchangeable filters, the highest being 25db. But you also can buy solid plugs that give more protection. I like the because they allow you to hear others and carry on a conversation in a noisy restaurant, for example. I also had to get them because I sing in ensembles and choirs, and need to hear others singing around me.

And the best thing: They are super comfortable. They are custom-made for your ears, so they really seal in well and give you great protection. You go into an audiologist, have molds made of your ears, then pick up the plugs in a few weeks.

The bad news: They are expensive. Mine, with three sets of filters, were about $260. I am getting ready to buy one set of 25 db plugs -- another $30-$40. However, I figure since I am going to have tinnitus for awhile (perhaps forever), they were worth the money and I have not been sorry. It's like having a pair of eyeglasses: I need them to have a normal life, and I keep close track of them because I don't want to lose them at that price!

I also have inexpensive foam plugs stashed in the car, my hand bag, in my desk, etc, in case I just need to plug up for a minute (like when they are vacuuming our office).

Here is more: http://www.etymotic.com/

If you are willing to pay this much money, you will have other choices. Just search for ear plugs on TT and you will find lots of posts on this topic.

In your case, though, I see you only have had T for a month. It very well may subside or go away completely. And it looks like you just need these for a concert you are going to. In that case, I would go with a good quality foam plug, as per the several suggestions above. Also, if you are worried, take a pair of "ear defenders" (industrial ear muffs) and put those on over the plugs if its loud. I do that when I go to some outdoor concerts.

• Useful Useful x 2
    12. TDCC
      Confused

TDCC Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      since june 14 2014
      LadyDi
      You been so very helpful.
      Thank you so very much! :)

13. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      I'm going to spend 10-20 bucks to have my ears abused. No thanks.

14. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      @Rhea awesome! I went last night and saw Capt. America 2.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Rhea
      Volatile

Rhea Member

Tinnitus Since:
      good for you Erik...you a certainly a braver human being than me then!...A quiet romance is about the limit for me! Was it loud Erik? Did you plug and avoid the trailers?

Rhea x

16. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Yes, the trailers were very loud, much louder than the movie for some reason. I guess they really want your attention. To me that was the cue to "insert ear plugs".

I was with my Dad who also has had T for over 35 years. He forgot his ear plugs, so I went out to my car to grab some of my foam back ups for him. I keep a stash in my glove box of each car. I had my own custom ones with me. But we both used them thru-out the movie. The nice part about having ear plugs in is that if you reach a quiet part of the film, you can pull them out a bit until it is noisy again. In the end, you have the control over the volume of the film, not the theater. :)

• Like Like x 1
    17. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Y R welcome, TDCC. And: I do hope you decide to go! Your son is playing and its wonderful that you and your family can go support him. Kick your T to the curb and enjoy all life gives us. Just take few precautions as noted above. I went with my family in November to hear my nephew play at a massive bluegrass fest. Had no problems and was so proud.

18. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I didn't read all the posts, maybe somebody already mentioned this. You can download a app called Db vollume. Works well! And it's free!

19. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Oh it's a a Db meter, guess I forgot to mention that.