Clonazepam (Klonopin, Rivotril)

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by erik, May 29, 2012.

1. BuzzyBee
      Bookworm

BuzzyBee Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      @just1morething Sorry the Sudaphed wasn't a very long term fix, but I hope it at least helped for a while. I have used it on occasion for a head cold, but have not tried it since T.

@Jenny F. From what I've read, St. John's Wort seems to be a long term supplement to help with depression rather than an anti-anxiety pill that works quickly. The supplements that I understand to be quick acting (but am still hesitant to try) are Valerian, L-Theanine, Passionflower, Tryptophan, and 5-HTP.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    2. Karl28
      No Mood

Karl28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2001 bad since 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music via headphones
      2 mg of the stuff seems to be helping my tinnitus it's a little bit better

3. Karl28
      No Mood

Karl28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2001 bad since 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music via headphones
      My T is much better after being on this a week!

Valium didnt do shit so maybe its the epilepsy component of this drug ?

4. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      Klonopin is much stronger (potent) than Valium.

5. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Jenny F.The supplements that I understand to be quick acting (but am still hesitant to try) are Valerian, L-Theanine, Passionflower, Tryptophan, and 5-HTP.[/QUOTE]

5htp is very useful I found for depression (doesn't lower the volume) and to a lesser extent l-theanie. Valerian, passionflower etc help with sleep. Pharma gaba is also something that helped me.

6. BuzzyBee
      Bookworm

BuzzyBee Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      Interesting! There's another thread talking about GABA Calm Mind. I'll take a look at Pharma Gaba, too. I mentioned in the other thread that L-Theanine seemed to calm a spike, but so far I've only used it once so it could have been a coincidence. The brand was Integra, and I bought it from a doctor but you can find it on-line. Again, could have been a coincidence that the T went down.

7. Christian78
      Alone

Christian78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (Sep 2013)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      progressive tinnitus, time of expiring in next 3-6 months
      I use trobalt 200-300mg in morning and it kills tinnitus, but it isn't as addictive as clonazepam which I use too

8. Christian78
      Alone

Christian78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (Sep 2013)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Klonopin is 20 times stronger than Valium

9. Christian78
      Alone

Christian78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (Sep 2013)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That is why trobalt kills so many people's tinnitus spikes, I lost my tinnitus for 4 months on it totally

10. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
    11. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      There's is an entire thread dedicated to gaba supplements. I do find it surprising if gaba calm would do anything as it won't cross the blood brain barrier like pharma gaba will.

• Like Like x 1
    12. Christian78
      Alone

Christian78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (Sep 2013)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      end of May 2015

13. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      @Christian78 does it still work in the mornings? U still have a supply?

14. Christian78
      Alone

Christian78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (Sep 2013)
      Cause of Tinnitus:

Yes I still have supply and i use morning and before sleep

15. Tata

Tata Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I am new to this group and have experienced tinnitus for the last 5 months and don't know why. I didn't have any injuries and wasn't exposed to loud noises. Anyway, my doctor prescribed clonazepam for tinnitus and sleep, and it really helps my sleep, not so sure about the tinnitus, though, as he just gives me 1 a day and I take it before bedtime. I am hearing a hissing sound in both ears and today it is very loud and the only relief I am getting is sitting here with my earphones on and listening to tinnitus relaxing music. I would give anything to stop this tinnitus. I don't see how clonazepam can make it worse.
      I also have a question, but I went to a craniofacial dentist and they prescribed a mouthguard for my lower teeth to be worn 24 hours a day. Well, that made the tinnitus worse, so I stopped using it. Has anyone been prescribed a mouthguard and what were the results of it? Would appreciate any helpful responses.

16. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Tata
      Hi Tata. Tinnitus can be caused by many things but the most common is exposure to loud noise, in particular using headphones at too high a volume, or attending places where loud music is played. If you are sure your tinnitus wasn't caused by loud sounds and find listening to audio through earphones is helpful then continue. However, I always advise people that have tinnitus not to use headphones even at low volume if the tinnitus was caused by loud sounds.

I just want to say something about your clonazepam which I also take but only occasionally. It is something given to people with intrusive tinnitus and can be helpful. However, this medication if taken on a regular basis can lead to dependancy. The more often it is taken the body will soon get used to it (habituate) and it will no longer have an effect. Then the dosage needs to be increased. When taken in larger dosages it can have unpleasant side effects if one tries to stop taking it. Hope you don't mind me telling you this, it's just something Ifeel you should know.

I have written a tinnitus article called: Tinnitus A Personal View, that you might find helpful. Please click on my Avatar and choose "started threads" you will see my article in the list. Try to avoid sleeping in quiet room by using a sound machine at night by your bedside for sound enrichment. More is explained in my document about this.
      All the best
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
    17. Mkc28

Mkc28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown maybe TMJ
      Hi Tata I'm new to the group also. I not sure what caused my tinnitus. The ent. I went to said it wasn't a ear infection or pressure, but had alot of ear wax which was removed. He thinks it is TMJ even though I've suffered with allergies, sinus problems my whole life and my ears ached. Did your dentist think it was your teeth? What is a craniofacial dentist? I don't know who to go to for TMJ. My dentist group which is Aspen Dental wasn't any help. Like you I would do anything to get rid of this noise. It's not to bad during the day but at night it's terrible and I can't get to sleep. And if I do it's only for a few hours than wide awake with this buzzing in my head. I'm considering taken clonazepam too. I've read this whole thread and what everyone has said about it. But I took it before and didn't have any problems.

Michael Leigh, if I wanted to address someone how do you do it? Like you did with Tata. @Tata. I don't see how to do it. I was on Clonazepam 8 years ago to withdraw me from Ativan that my Doctor gave to me for a couple of weeks to calm me down before some minor surgery. I only weighed 105 lbs and drugs knock me out or I get addicted quick. I took 1 mg for 2 months and never had to increase my dose. Then doctor wanted me to get off of by cutting in half one week and then cutting it again the third week and quitting at .25. Well that didn't work. Got on BenzoBuddies because I was really scared about this drug and everything I had read about it. But they told me how to get off if it with no problems by titrating it. They said you go back taking the 1 mg. You crush a 1 mg pill every day and put it in milk and take out with dropper, can remember exactly, but let's just say one drop and you take that dose for 2 days and then crush 1mg put in milk and take 2 drops out and take for 2 days and then so on so on. I had to make a chart and when I got down to .5 mgs then I cut 1mg in half and just crushed a .5 mg and continued taking so many drops out. At the end you're down to hardly any milk. Took me 2 months to go from 1mg to as low as .03. Some people drop at .2 or .1 but not me. You CAN'T stop this drug cold turkey. By titrating a little bit at a time gives your brain a chance to take over. I had no problems coming off of it!!
      Edit: Michael I see how to do it now. Her name turned blue when I posted it.

18. Joe Bananas
      No Mood

Joe Bananas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hi Christian, what about the side effects?

19. dan26
      Frustrated

dan26 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      very bad concussion motorcycle accident
      really? i used that drug for about 10 years off and on! holy crap!

20. dan26
      Frustrated

dan26 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      very bad concussion motorcycle accident
      I can't help you with the mouthguard thing but as you read my bio I have had tinnitus for over 35 years and not one day of quiet! I've been on clonazepam (1/2 of a .5mg) on and off for a long time but stopped it cause side effects too much and making me very cloudy in thinking and memory. No more clonazepam! no way no how!

21. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, but thats why you take much less of it :)

22. Kelvin

Kelvin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Work
    23. WaqasVic
      Artistic

WaqasVic Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My T is way different than all of you , ask me how
      Is Clonazepam or Klonopin ototoxic?

24. Elliott.S
      Doubtful

Elliott.S Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music practice - Attending loud concerts
      As much as I know of, clonazepam is one of these rare molecules that have no proven ototoxicity. This was confirmed by all the docs, ENTs and audiologists that I've met.

You should still ask your doctor if you want to be sure though :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    25. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No, it does not cause acoustic physical damage to the ears. Some people report issues if they suddenly stop it instead of tapering which is advisable for all Benzodiazepines after long term usage.

• Agree Agree x 3
    26. IvanRus

IvanRus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity
      There is a lot of talk about benzodiazepines clonazepam, clonopine. And who then tried phenazepam? This tranquilizer is common in Russia and CIS countries.

27. Petrocelli

Petrocelli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have noticed that Clonazepam helps me sleep which seems to help my tinnitus.

I take a pretty low dose. (.5 mg at bedtime)

I have noted some side effects, but most dissipate with a cup of coffee.

I have tried to wean myself off Clonazepam a couple times. It was not difficult to do. However, my tinnitus returned.

Conclusion: A little grogginess in the morning is a small price to pay for a decrease in tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 2
    28. BLane
      Dreaming

BLane Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I had my Dr. write me an Rx for Clonazepam for days when my T is severe. It doesn't do a thing to me. I upped the dose from .5 to 1mg and still nothing. I don't see much sense in continuing it. No benefit or withdrawals as far as I can tell. Unfortunate, I was really hoping it'd help a bit.

29. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Clonazepam doesn't work for everyone but it lowers my tinnitus to complete silence when I take it. I only take it when my tinnitus reaches very severe levels.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    30. grate_biff
      In pain

grate_biff Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma using headphones
      I´m sorry it does not work for you. It is also very interesting.
      Maybe it's not a neurological condition for you?? And maybe that is a good thing:)
      I see you don´t know the reason for your T?
      Would be very interesting to know.
      What do you suspect is the cause?