Clonazepam (Klonopin, Rivotril)

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by erik, May 29, 2012.

1. Emanuel Lourenco
      No Mood

Emanuel Lourenco Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      it's alright i think it was a joke.. also I spoke with the GP today and he told me to tamper off the rivotril for the next week gradually...

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I know it was a joke...Good that you are tapering off the rivotril as it's not good to be on it all the time....

3. Emanuel Lourenco
      No Mood

Emanuel Lourenco Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Yeah it was a mistake of me to take it everyday although it was what was advised for me to do by another doctor so... This is exactly why I don't trust them anymore...

4. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Not all doctors are the same and some are quite good. Taking clonazepam/Rivotril constantly, the body will quickly habituate to it and more of the drug will need to be taken to get relief from the tinnitus. Unfortunately, this can cause dependency and unpleasant side effects. I was advised by my consultant not to take it too often for this reason.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Codaz

Codaz Member

The trouble that they have in the Netherlands is that they think Clonazepam (all *pam) is the heaviest of the *pam family and should only be taken if absolutely necessary. Belgian doctors say different but do not describe the taper on taper off schedule, which eventually gives the dependency and other nasty stuff.

6. Jéssica Amorim

Jéssica Amorim Member

Tinnitus Since:
      16/09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Does anyone here use of clonazepam? Since I started taking the drug in order to reduce the anxiety caused by tinnitus, I have been very depressed, crying all the time and I have suicidal thoughts. I read that the drug can cause such reactions, did anyone experience something like that?

7. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I take clonazepam whenever my tinnitus is very severe and it calms it right down. I haven't experienced the symptoms you describe.
      Michael

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    8. Benoves

Benoves Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      26-9-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknow possibly noise trauma
      I did get Clonazepam Sandoz from my GP. Sometimes i looks like it calms down my hiss after 10 minutes for a couple of hours, sometimes not. Is is important to get Rivotril from Roche?

9. Ambassador
      Cool

Ambassador Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss and lifetime noise exposure
      I've had the same problem with benzodiazepines, Xanax and Clonazepam, but it's the day after I take them that I find myself in a very dark mood. They really do help but the side effect keeps me from using them. Beside, it's a dead end solution, tolerance builds and they are never intended for long term use.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    10. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      I always feel very good the day after taking Clonazepam, but it's the 3rd day that's the killer. I took some yesterday at 3 PM, only .5 mg, which can lower my anxiety and even my perception of the tinnitus, and today the anxiety was still pretty low, but the T is back to a low-moderate level. Hopefully tomorrow won't be too bad, in terms of anxiety and/or perception of noise. I try to use it no more than once a week if possible, but sometimes I need it two days in a row. Too much of this drug slows habituation, and I don't want that to happen, but used judiciously it's probably OK and can be beneficial in the long run. It sort of breaks the cycle of distress, makes it more manageable. Eventually, when the brain becomes habituated and is no longer as disturbed by the tinnitus, the drug will no longer be necessary.

• Hug Hug x 1
    11. Benoves

Benoves Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      26-9-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknow possibly noise trauma
      I did get Clonazepam Sandoz from my GP. Sometimes it looks like it calms down my hiss after 10 minutes for a couple of hours, sometimes not. Is it important to get Rivotril from Roche? Are there other options?

I only take it if I really need it. Did not take it for 2 weeks.

Thanks

12. Scott V.

Scott V. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello,
      A couple of weeks ago I came across a posting on this site to a study of the effects of clonazepam on tinnitus.

I believe the study came out of Harvard's medical school, perhaps in association with a Massachusetts
      hospital. I mentioned this to my doctor and she said she'd like to have a look at this study. However,
      now I cannot find the posting or the link: I've looked and looked through posting, and searched the web for the study, but no luck (though I'm not the best are searching) Can anyone help me locate that link; or is my memory seems scrambled.

Thanks.

13. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
    14. dan26
      Frustrated

dan26 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      very bad concussion motorcycle accident
      clonazepam is a very strong drug and as explained in my posts somewhere here i took it for many years and started to forget things, very foggy in the head and all that jazz. be very careful with clonazepam.

15. Spiral
      Balanced

Spiral Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      No. But I wouldn't continue the treatment if it makes you feel that way. There are other benzodiazepines that can help without giving you such bad side effects such as alpralozam. The only downside its use is that you have to take some once every few hours for a lasted effect. If I space doses out, the T is barely noticeable and add something like Magnesium I get a difference for 48 hours after the fact.

Though each kind will still have their own side effects. I suggest that you try something else out (unless you haven't already).

• Like Like x 1
    16. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      I get that effect with Xanax only, not the clonazepram.

• Informative Informative x 1
    17. Mystery Reader

Mystery Reader Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still Under Investigation
      In general, how many mg. of clonazepam can you take daily and still be considered at a "low dose?" I've looked through the internet (no consensus, of course) and realize that there's likely no hard and fast rule about it, but thought I'd ask folks here what they thought. Thanks!

Mystery Reader

18. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2008 but cured and relapsed from benzos
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      0.25mg but if you want my opinion stay away from benzos because your tinnitus will become permanent and more worse. Also you take a high risk to develop hyperacusis.

My tinnitus cured the first time from disease and relapsed with hyperacusis from benzos.

Benzos are worse than heroin. Benzos are the most addictive/dangerous drugs.
      Benzos are good for surgeries for stopping status epilepticus but they are not good for tinnitus except if you are 80+ years and you have few years more or if you are at final stage of cancer.

Please don't take.

19. grate_biff
      In pain

grate_biff Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma using headphones
      Or if you have decided you can not live anymore with T and H.
      Benzo could give you a few more happy years to live.
      Would be sort of a junkie life, totally dependant on it, but could be life-extending.
      With no prior relation to benzo, it could last quite a while.

20. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Clonazepam shouldn't be taken everyday even in a small dose. If it is the body will quickly get used to it and the drug will no longer have any effect. I was prescribed clonazepam in 2010 and only take it when my tinnitus is severe. Usually 2x 0.5mg tablets for 1 or 2 days. It will reduce my tinnitus to complete silence. My tinnitus naturally varies from: silent, mild, moderate, severe and can reach very severe levels. I have never had a problem with this medicine and it has helped ease the severity of my tinnitus on many occasions when nothing else will work.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. Christian botero

Christian botero Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I’m sick and tired of people going against benzodiazepines and medication for this f..k horrendous torture condition people who have mild tinnitus unilateral and not hyperacusis is very easy to say oh don’t take benzodiazepines they very bad for you so tell me when you have 6 different noises lower and higher pitches a very strong power transformer in your head very strong hyperacusis and reactive to every single thing I’m been trying every single treatment in this world and nothing because unfortunately is really NOTHING for this f condition so mister Doctor can you please tell me what treatment you recommend to not killing my self beside the only shit we have please thanks.

• Like Like x 2
    22. Joe Bananas
      No Mood

Joe Bananas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Is your tinnitus acoustic trauma triggered?

23. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Yes.

24. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      BENZOs side-effects and dependency levels are not the same for everyone. Always frustrates me when people try to scare others from BENOZs. Yes, some people will really struggle with it while others like myself can take it for weeks at a time and stop cold turkey with zero impact.

All I am saying is that sometimes doctors prescribe drugs like this because the positives may outweigh the negatives. It's hard to get someone's full diagnosis on a forum. BENZOs and ADs saved my life but as with anything they need to be respected and managed properly with a therapist.

• Agree Agree x 7
      • Like Like x 1
    25. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      First major BENZO side effect is spelling errors. Just kidding. :)

• Like Like x 1
    26. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      Lol. It happens... wish I could blame a med but I can’t.

• Like Like x 1
    27. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      Clonazepam has helped me a lot, in terms of hyperacusis and ASD symptoms. But I have not taken a lot. Whenever I feel my MEMs start to seize up and nerves around my ears and face become hypersensitive, it totally fixes it for up to a week. Like, totally shuts it down. H and T become pretty low too, which is a bonus. I’m now down to .25mg a week and it’s been 1 week since taking it. So it definitely helps, just don’t get hooked on it.

• Like Like x 1
    28. Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      I will second this.

29. IvanRus

IvanRus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity
      Clonazepam or Xanax helped someone cope with a prolonged spike after noise or stress?

30. donbraby

donbraby Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/14/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My tinnitus has increased in loudness since taking clonazepam. On for a week. .25mg. I wake up after 2 hours with double the volume than i had before sleeping. any ideas? Anyone else experience this. Thanks