Clonazepam (Klonopin, Rivotril)

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by erik, May 29, 2012.

1. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Klonopin helps me too.. Try using them once or twice a day until the other med kicks in or use it when you really need it.. Its only gonna become habbit forming if someone abuses it and takes way more then they should every day

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Going to your son's basketball game is a good way to distract from T. You are on the right path, keeping on to live your life regardless of T. Of course being so new with T, you will be be quite worried by the ringing. Many of us had been there where you are and suffered badly too at the start. I often thought I would never recover. But time and adopting a more positive approach have help me heal. Today my T still rings but I don't care about it any more. Couldn't do that a few years back. I am even amazed with it how the brain can remain calm when it just caved into panic on auto mode by the same ringing a few years back. Time is a magical wand in healing the body. I hope you will rest your heart and relax a bit. Read the success stories to give you more comfort and hope about the future. There is enough collective wisdom here to help you get better. All the best and God bless your recovery.

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. Hi Jeff, did you try them together? I am tapering off clonazepam and was prescribed remeron, though I haven't taken it yet.

4. srfames

srfames Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hi everyone

i have suffered from medication resistant depression and anxiety for many years . I have had T since December and the his causes me to shake, become tense, panic, nausea and depression.

The only thing that calms me down and my thought is clonazapam. I have heard that taking clonazapam can increase the loudness of my T I take 2mg twice a day and without that my anxiety would be completely out of control, at least at this point in my journey.

Could I get experienced help on this and perhaps clinical data if available to support these thoughts

Thanks

5. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

cullenbohannon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
    6. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Benzodiazepines such as clonazepam can cause tinnitus upon withdrawal, but that can usually be avoided if tapered slowly and correctly. Clonazepam may be helpful in the short term, but in the long term in can be counter productive.

2mg bid is kind of a high dose of Clonazepam in my opinion, but I'm not a doctor. Speak with your psychiatrist that is prescribing the medication about your concern. The best advice I can give you is to always discontinue a benzodiazepine slowly to avoid complications from withdrawal. If done correctly and slowly, it can be a relatively easy experience. If done quickly or cold turkey, you can risk worsening your tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Is taking klonopin as needed say like 2 mg a week safe?

8. I agree, 2 mg is a high dose to start with. Standard is .5..I take half that, and now even less than 1/2 of half as I am tapering..it helps my T and H, but not long lasting..however I am on super low dose now..

just reread your post//2mg twice a day? so 4mg altogether?

9. Relic Hunter
      Cynical

Relic Hunter Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1990
      I started off taking 1 mg daily of xanex then quickly moved to 2 mg a day ...Switched to clonazepam as my Dr. said it was less addictive and continued increasing the dosage over a period of about 3 years till I was taking 6 mg daily. A high dosage I know now...

At first the benzo provided some relief. I am very tolerant to most drugs so the effect soon faded and I was taking them mostly as a habit and not getting any effect.

I decided to stop only because I thought I was wasting my time and money by taking the benzos..I tapered off over a period of several months..

After quitting I started having full blown panic attacks..I had never had these before starting the benzos..These occurred almost like clockwork every 2 days for a period of 2 or more months but have since gone away. I contribute these to the with drawl from the benzo.

I do not think taking clonazepam in a low dosage is harmful. Some people get great results with only 1/2 mg a day. It just depends on the individual.

I never could tell any effect on the volume of my tinnitus either before or after taking the benzo.

10. Alex Senkowski
      Inactive

Alex Senkowski Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I took a tablet and a half of Clonazepam three times a day for a couple of months. I tappered off the stuff for a couple of weeks and stopped it on Monday, as recommended by my shrink, and my nights since then have been pretty rough. My T is back in full force. My shrink and another doctor now recommend I resume tappering off Clonazepam, should I?

• Hug Hug x 1
    11. srfames

srfames Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Depends on your dosage? If you are using it for sleep, you might want to try an alternative method such as selective sounds, i.e. the ocean, a fan, wind, rain and so forth.

In my case, I hear the hissing then I'm in bed, but I know that eventually I will fall asleep, and that might take an hour or two but I will and I don't use sounds because I find them annoying.

if the clonazapam is a short term solution and works for you, then great! I found that with "Benzies", you grow resistant to the mg you are taking and over time that increases and can become addictive such as Xanax.

Hope that helps,

Jim

12. Alex Senkowski
      Inactive

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I want it to be a short-term solution, but four days in I'm feeling absolutely ragged. On my last day of taking it, my dosage was still at three tablets. My shrink(at the time) and my family doctor didn't object to the sudden stop, but a doctor with my CBT group felt that the dosage was too high to stop on and that I should still be tappering off the drug. Should I try tappering of Clonazepam for another week or two, or should I just ride out the withdrawal? Also, is my T likely go back to its normal range? A few people on this thread cited having their T worsened by Clonazepam use. Before I started using the drug, my only concern was whether the drug was ototoxic. eHealth.com said that only 0.01% of people who use the drug experience ototoxic side-effects.

13. My advice is to do a slow taper. How long were you taking it for?

14. Alex Senkowski
      Inactive

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Two months, at a tablet and a half three times a day.

15. Golly
      Bookworm

Golly Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      My advice is to find a doctor you trust and follow his/her advice to the letter. -G

16. Hudson
      Cowboy

Hudson Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      It really depends on your dosage. A tablet and a half isn't very descriptive. In the US, clonazepam is available in .5mg, 1mg, and 2mg tablets. .5 mg is considered to be a therapeutic dose. Depending on your dosage, and considering you were taking it TID (three times in one day) I would guess you probably tried too quick of a taper.

17. david c

david c Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      It's good that the research about clonazepam reducing tinnitus loudness for many people has been shared on here. In the UK there's something close to a medical conspiracy against prescribing medications for tinnitus. Can't help but think that it's got something to do with the money many ENT doctors and audiologists get from various audiology companies to promote their products.

Yes benzos do need to be treated carefully and there are dangers of addiction but particularly for those newly suffering from acute tinnitus I think the dangers of not telling patients about these medications are all the greater - especially to new sufferers who are regularly told by GPs "there are no effective medications, just get used to it".

Thank goodness there are websites such as this one where information and knowledge can be freely exchanged.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 2
    18. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Klonopin saved my life few years back
      When my panic attacks started and i was on them daily like .5 to 1 mg a day for like 6 months and my doc perscribed lexapro with it and said just take the kpin until you feel yourself again or the lexapro kicks in and it took 6 months and i felt great so i stopped them cold turkey no withdraws or shaky feeling and definally had no idea what tinnitus or it being a withdraw sypmtom was at the time and its crazy cause i didnt even get my T from that i got it noise induced but after i got T i was back having panic attacks so im now on them as needed usually like 1 mg a week if that... But if my T spiked id be back where i was 2 years ago but if it helps with the anxiety and you take them as perscribed you should be okay and not overbuse.. And now i know if i were ever to go on them daily again to never stop cold turkey!

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. Not all doctors are very familiar with benzo withdrawl. 2 mths is long enough and at that dose to cause significant withdrawl. It could also be fine, however, personally, I would not chance it. My advice would be to get back on it and start a slow taper. Check out the site "benzobuddy" for more help. BTW, my doc said same thing, I could just stop, and even now I suffer with insomnia, rebound anxiety, and that is because I was pushing my taper a little further than I should of...I was only on it for 5 mths at, between .5 and .25..mostly the latter.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    20. Alex Senkowski
      Inactive

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      All right, the general consensus is that I go back on the drug and resume tapering at a slower rate. I'm willing to do that; right now my T sounds like a stereo speaker fell and broke next to my head. I just hope that neither the clonazepam or the withdrawal makes the T permanently worse. Thanks for the advice.

• Like Like x 1
    21. Alex Senkowski
      Inactive

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Feeling much better today. My T has receded back to a comfortable low-pitch droning that's actually rather soothing. The tablets of Clonazepam I have are .05mg, my plan is to begin my tapering with .15mg then cut it by half a tablet every three days until I run out. Recommendations?

22. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      How long have you been on it?

23. Alex Senkowski
      Inactive

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      2 months.

24. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Do you feel like you dont need it anymore? Cause i was on it 6 months daily Then stopped for 6 monthes then got T and my anixety and panic attacks came back so i am now on them again as needed i usually take like 1 mg a week. If you feel you need them a lil
      Longer there not gonna hurt you as long as your not overbusing. My one friend has been on them since he was 16 hes now 23 some people just need to be on them longer then others. And i noticed even though you may go off them soon or now that your most likely gonna be goin back on them some point in your life. My doc says people prone with anixety disorders that its common

25. Alex Senkowski
      Inactive

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I was able to tolerate my T for the first 2 months since it began. Then holiday stress made it spike and that's when I started on the meds. I want to know if I'm capable of tolerating the T like I did before the spike occured. That's what most of us T-sufferers want, right? To tolerate it without being hooked on meds?

26. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Yeah you will get there but in my
      Opinion meds will help you get there

27. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      I might have said this before, even in this thread but I would not touch this stuff if my life depended on it.
      Apart from the fact that my T started after quitting this crap , I feel it has affected my cognative abilities.
      Most noticable when I am writing , I mess up a lot and when doing problem solving and deeper thinking.

There is definitely a reason it is called the "hell pill" at benzobuddys.

28. Sure @RaZaH but did you stop it cold turkey? or slowly taper? and I am sorry for your experience, but currently we're talking to Alex and how he should taper. Everyone is different.

29. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      I stopped cold turkey ...yes , everyone is different , why do you feel you need to tell me that ?

30. ...because Alex is currently looking for help regarding tapering, not info on how evil the drug is :)..which personally I don't find it to be at all..it's actually a pretty good drug, if used properly, and withdrawn from correctly...also, was just curious if your T was a result of simple taper or else c/t which is well documented...

peace out..:)

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1