Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2 / COVID-19) and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by ajc, Feb 28, 2020.

1. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

OnceUponaTime Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Thank you Val!! I love you to pieces!!!
      We have been sewing none stop for a week. Monday night we received a call from a doctor who heard by word of mouth, that we were sewing masks, and he asked us if we could please make 100 for his Medical Group as they urgently need them. He even offer to pay for all expenses.

We have delivered over 100+ masks so far and more requests keep coming in. I'm blessed that my two daughters, 10 and 13, know how to sew. They are my strongest team! I'm glad that regardless of this nasty ringing in the ears I have, I can still do something positive and help others in such difficult times.

Yesterday I had the opportunity to meet one of our members here on Tinnitus Talk, the lovely @MBH. We did keep our 6 feet distance...haha. :bag: MBH stopped by and donated materials for us to make more masks. I can't thank her enough for this. It was really nice to meet someone from our group for the first time.

So, I will continue sewing masks until they need them no more or I get blisters on my fingers...LOL. :ROFL::inpain::inpain:

Shine a light in the darkness, people.
      Stay safe my friends.
      Once
      :huganimation:

• Winner Winner x 13
      • Hug Hug x 2
    2. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      @Luman -- Points well taken. However, like @OnceUponaTime and her children are doing, homemade masks can be made, and could add some level(s) of protection. My wife is quite good at sewing, and after I showed her this information this morning, it looks like she's going to make a couple for us.

I mentioned that in addition to that extra layer of cloth protection when going out, the mask can also be sprayed lightly with a hydrogen peroxide mist, making it all the more effective. When we get home, it can be thrown in the dryer at high temperature for 10 minutes (along with our other clothes), and be ready for reuse.

BTW, for those who may not be aware: The reason Vit. C can be protective against all kinds of viruses (and bacteria) is because the body can convert it into hydrogen peroxide (H2O2). The reason H2O2 is so effective against pathogens, is because it converts to H2O (water) and a single atom of O, or O1. It's that "singlet" atom of oxygen that kills pathogens.

Ozone (O3) works on the same principle. O3 by itself is unstable, and easily breaks down into O2 (normal oxygen) and O1 (singlet atom of oxygen). So ozone and H2O2 are disinfectants that work on the same principle. -- Singlet oxygen is a basis for the many different types of oxygenation therapies (such as autohemotherapy) that are utilized by many NDs.

• Like Like x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
    3. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      This NPR article touches on the topic of masks:

Fighting COVID-19 Is Like 'Whack-A-Mole,' Says Writer Who Warned Of A Pandemic

Introduction to Article:

Two years ago, science writer Ed Yong wrote an article for The Atlantic in which he warned that a new global pandemic was inevitable — and that the world would be unprepared for it when it arrived. Now, with the outbreak of COVID-19, much of what Yong warned about in his reporting has come true.

Yong says scientists are still working to understand how the novel coronavirus travels through air. His latest article for The Atlantic concerns whether or not people beyond health care workers and other front-line personnel should be wearing some sort of mask to help prevent spread of the coronavirus. Here's the title to the above linked "latest article":

Everyone Thinks They’re Right About Masks
      How the coronavirus travels through the air has become one of the most divisive debates in this pandemic.

4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
    5. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

OnceUponaTime Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Hey, Lane. That's great!
      Here's the patterns I've been using.

This one is super easy to make.
      How to SEW a Medical FACE MASK // TUTORIAL

This one takes a little more time but offers a little more protection.
      How to Sew a Face Mask with Filter Pocket -...

Stay safe!

• Winner Winner x 3
      • Like Like x 2
    6. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      of Decline of the West? I have a nice two volume second printing English language edition that's almost 100 years old that I scavenged from my grandfather in law's basement.

I have not completed it; it's on my list to circle back to, after I someday read all of a decent annotated Faust. Spengler presumes his audience has all the major pieces of a classical European education, which I certainly do not.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Jack V

Jack V Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2020
      I'm not sure it's safe to spray hydrogen peroxide onto a mask and put the mask onto your face. Might be doing more harm than good. :dunno:

According to the CDC, hydrogen peroxide "can cause systemic toxicity when inhaled or ingested.... Inhalation of vapors, mists, or aerosols from concentrated solutions of hydrogen peroxide can cause significant morbidity."

• Informative Informative x 1
    8. Kain
      Disappointed

Kain Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      excessive loud music through earbuds
      I would like to know how @Ed209 and his family are doing, and if they’re okay : (

• Agree Agree x 10
    9. all to gain
      No Mood

all to gain Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      That must be worth quite a bit now in monetary terms.

As for a thread, I mean generally on the way things are changing in the world.

10. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
    11. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi @Jack V -- I have no doubt that's the case, but I think the operative word is "concentrated". I've used 35% food grade hydrogen peroxide for years in a number of ways, and I'm always careful with it because just a single drop can cause the skin to turn whitish, accompanied by a burning sensation. I mentioned previously in this thread about an H2O2 inhalation technique:

Learn the Right Way To Do Hydrogen Peroxide Inhalation Method for Viruses, COPD, Congestion

... and how I've used it myself with good success. They recommend using regular OTC 3% hydrogen peroxide, but some people reported that it irritated their lungs. So I made my own diluted solution with 35% food grade H2O2, and created a 1% H2O2 mist (1 oz. 35% H2O2 per 1 quart of purified water). I can easily inhale that into my lungs, and spray on my face, which I do immediately upon leaving any store I've visited.

That's why I feel so comfortable about lightly misting a mask with a very diluted H2O2 solution. I would never use a concentrated solution that could come anywhere near my face, sinuses, or lungs.

12. all to gain
      No Mood

all to gain Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      In Russia, the country was given a paid week off of work lasting from 28 March until 5 April, but this was extended today and will last until 30 April. So 5 weeks off of work and paid for. That's got to hit the economy big time.

And... Russia's top coronavirus doctor, who met the president last week, has tested positive for the virus. Neither of them was wearing protective gear.

There were 771 new confirmed cases today, which is the daily record so far (according to the official figures).

13. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Regarding Masks:

The following snippet is from this article: Face Masks Could Be Part of the Answer. The bolded part sums things up even more succinctly.

Taiwan offers a helpful model. Like the United States, Taiwan has seen an increased demand for face masks and disruptions in the supply chain. Prior to the pandemic, the majority of masks sold in Taiwan were manufactured elsewhere, with over 90% coming from China. In the past month, the Taiwanese government aggressively ramped up private manufacturing so that Taiwan can now make millions of masks per day and has enough N95 masks and hazmat suits for all their medical personnel... (each mask is sold for less than $0.25).

Through this system, more than 2.3 million people were given the ability to buy seven million masks over the course of a single week. Of note, Taiwan, a densely populated country of 23 million people about 80 miles off the coast of China, has had only 322 confirmed infections and five deaths due to Covid-19 as of March 31. And Taiwan has, for the most part, not closed schools or businesses and has not implemented a lockdown.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    14. Jack V

Jack V Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2020
      First, please know how much I love reading your posts, and own a bottle of Vitamin C thanks to you. :beeranimation:

But you're basically arguing that by sufficiently diluting a poison, you've made something strong enough to kill the virus, but weak enough to leave you unharmed.

Maybe you're right, maybe you're wrong, I have no idea.

But I just don't think it's a good idea to leave that hanging without comment lest someone reading this, who may not realize hydrogen peroxide is poisonous, tries it and does more harm than good.

You know, arsenic was used for many years for a variety of ailments from asthma to cancer. Not so much anymore. :dunno:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    15. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Another problem with using agents like alcohol or hydrogen peroxide to clean masks is that it will degrade whatever material the mask is made out of.

Just use multiples and sterilize with time or a low heat oven.

I still have a stash of n95s from my general preparedness box, because I haven't left home in almost 3 weeks now.

16. another sean
      Studious

another sean Member Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long duration of low audio
      According to Harvard, when cleaning masks, alcohol will reduce the filtration capability by about 50%. I myself have been using Hydrogen Peroxide. Harvard didn't test it so it's not known if it will reduce the filtration capability. The important thing about Hydrogen Peroxide is after sanitizing a mask with it, to give it time to decompose. Hydrogen Peroxide will turn into plain water. Duration depends on the concentration. 1% will decompose over night. 35% will decompose in a week. The more light and air, the better. One method I discovered in the Harvard paper was using steam for 10 minutes. I may get just a pot with a steam insert for vegetables and just steam the masks that way. It maintains the filtration capability to 97% using this method.

17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      The Harvard paper was about disposable masks.

You should use proper P3 R class filter reusable masks.

sr100-mask.png
      sr100-mask-cleaning.png

Attached Files:

• Winner Winner x 1
    18. Jack V

Jack V Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2020
      I went shopping yesterday and about half the people had masks - baby blue hospital masks; n95 masks; apocalyptic goggle masks.

Where do they get them?

Where do people get masks?

:cautious::cautious::cautious:

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    19. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      • Like Like x 3
    20. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The "good scenario" estimates for the US now stand at 1-200K, or 3-6 normal flu years at once. That's with massive, unprecedented social distancing that's imploding various sectors of the economy. In major cities we are seeing FEMA turning 16-wheelers into mobile morgues, NYC running out of body bags (and expected to run out of ICU capacity in 4 days even though they won't peak, optimistically, for 10-12), and basically every company in the world that can operate remotely, suddenly doing so.

I feel like I am watching a slow motion 9/11 where the second plane hasn't hit yet so there's still some amount of ostriching happening, and the global social impact of this will be tremendous and play out in a timeframe of years to a decade or two, not six to twelve months.

I will not be surprised if thermal scanners become the norm at store entrances and points of travel egress in the US, as well. Seats further apart, higher glass between booths in restaurants. All the things which places closer to SARS and MERS have been doing for a while. Ironically, one end result of all this could be an overall decline in deaths from respiratory illnesses, which would probably create a small bump in overall longevity?

@Bndsmheowqhe you've been awfully quiet for the past week, where's your thinking at?

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    21. Bndsmheowqhe

Bndsmheowqhe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      There's really been nothing to respond to. I've been waiting until we have actual numbers that are consistent with the average Flu season in the US. If we actually reach that point we can then compare that to the over the top reaction we are currently experiencing. I don't seem to recall the economy being destroyed over the 2017-2018 flu season.

Flu season deaths top 80,000 last year, CDC says

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/26/health/flu-deaths-2017--2018-cdc-bn/index.html

22. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Am I missing something? The observations below (see the panel describing the morality of 65+ older people) seem to be consistent with the "it's just the flu" hypothesis...
      Pooled-number.png
      https://www.euromomo.eu/outputs/number.html

23. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      About 10 years ago I visited Tokyo where I bought three N100 (99.7%) masks for $10.

24. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      • Like Like x 1
    25. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Get back to me in about a month and we'll know which of us is wrong! I hope it's me...

I see Manhattan is running crematories 24/7 instead of normal shifts, and there are 16 wheelers which have been converted to be mobile morgues by FEMA all over the city. @Luman is that a normal thing that happens in NYC every flu season, and us non-New Yorkers just don't know about it?

COVID-19 is now killing more than 1000 Americans a day; is that ever a feature of a normal flu season? My napkin math puts that number at 300/day if you compress the entirety of the flu season to 3 months.

...Just a flu? Hmm.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    26. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      All this stuff was super easy and very inexpensive to get until ~2 months ago. I have an N100 respirator with replacable filters and goggles, because I use it for various chemical and industrial processes around the property; I also have a small stash of disposable N95s because.... I grew up in a house where we always had a stash of first aid supplies and face masks, and it always seems like a good idea to me?

You won't have any luck finding this stuff any time real soon; Amazon has forbidden sales to civilians. Making your own from the patterns available is your best bet right now.

Just don't get within 6' of anyone or leave home more than you need to; I have yet to use a single mask. My contact with the outside world over the last 3 weeks is a no contact pickup of milk (using precautions and handwash) and an Instacart grocery delivery, again with precautions. Oh, yeah, and a neighbor "stopped by" while I was making maple syrup, but he stayed like 8' away and we had a slightly louder than usual conversation.

I'd never mess with chemical agents on a mask, especially a disposable one. Just toss 'em in a warm dry room for 2-3 days.

• Like Like x 1
    27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      How did you make sure the groceries had no coronavirus?

28. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I let it sit for a while after dropoff, then I rolled up my sleeves, then pulled everything that needed refrigeration aside, wiped it all down with 200 proof food grade ethanol on all surfaces, washed my hands, and put all of that into clean containers. The stuff which did not need to be refrigerated simply got stacked in a corner of the basement to sit for 72hrs; then I washed my hands and arms with more 200proof ethanol, washed my face for good measure, wiped down all surfaces and handles I had touched, and said good riddance and cracked a beer.

This may be overkill but I think it took me as long to type that paragraph as it did to actually do the work, so, I think I can find time in my busy schedule to do that once every three weeks for as long as this continues and delivery services continue to exist.

Instacart seems like a 30-50% tax over the cost of doing your own shopping, so one must keep that in mind, but I did massive stockups before things got bad, so I'm mostly just needing to get re-ups for dairy items.

My groceries also come to me from a town of 3800 and not 38,000; I am sure our grocery store is still full of virus because the whole country is right now, but, viral load matters a lot here and so being in relatively less populated areas is a mathematical advantage in terms of getting a serious case (even though it may be a disadvantage in terms of access to care, depending how rural you are -- I have two major hospitals at 25 and 50 mins away, but many in my state are not so lucky).

• Like Like x 2
    29. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      I don't remember hearing anything about over crowded morgues for flu seasons in New York, but it may have happened. Some flu years are considerably worse than others, but there' never been anything like the coronavirus, in my lifetime. On average, the flu takes about .1% of lives per season, of those who contracted it, while COVID-19 is expected to have a death rate of .6 - over five times the normal amount of regular flu cases that result in death.

From WIKI, regarding the 2017-2018 Flu Season in America: The 2017–2018 flu season was severe for all US populations and resulted in an estimated 959,000 hospitalizations and 61,099 deaths. This is the highest number of patient claims since the 2009 flu season.

• Agree Agree x 2
    30. Gabriel5050
      No Mood

Gabriel5050 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (most likely)
      People, see how the number of COVID-19 cases increases in every European country yet Romania only has like 150 cases/day? I'll tell you why. Because the government is literally LYING AND HIDING information. They no longer do regional reports and only nation-wide. These politicians are criminals! We have shortage of everything: tests, masks, protection costumes... It's censorship almost like in the communist era.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Hug Hug x 1