Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2 / COVID-19) and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by ajc, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Tybs

Tybs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fall from stairs
      These stats were released by the Dutch government yesterday. It's in Dutch of course, but when scrolling down, the first graph "Oversterfte 2020" shows the current death rate (top blue line) compared to normally expected (red intermittent line). You might need to click the image once before it shows.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Looks like the other stats are one week behind.

3. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      Not sure I understand your point. Which government is lying, Romania? Where are you referring to as, "here"?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    4. another sean
      Studious

another sean Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long duration of low audio
      My primary doctor/doctors work at a wellness clinic that practices functional medicine. I bounce around between two doctors there. One is a ND, the other is a MD. The MD has a 4 month waiting list so I see the ND in between. Best docs I've ever had. So I spoke to both about what I can take to help prevent/fight a coronavirus infection. They suggested the following as daily maintenance. Meaning start taking now.

2000mg Vitamin C (buffered would be more tolerable and break up the dosage over the course of a day)
      2000mg of fish oil for the omegas to keep inflammation down
      1000-1200mg of NAC, again it reduces inflammation

She also recommended D3 but I can't take it because it's a neuro-enhancer and launches my anxiety into panic-attackville.

Coronavirus causes massive inflammation in the lungs. That's why keeping inflammation down is critical.

I was surprised she mentioned NAC as those who have tinnitus are familiar with it.
      Ordered. Thanks.

• Informative Informative x 2
    5. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      doesn't make much different for a normal flu vector

for a novel virus that's both substantially more virulant and deadly and only beginning to become endemic... the exponential curve is even higher, and a week matters a lot!

A week ago in the US, we had 2,200 dead. Now we have 7800, so we'll probably be at 8500 by the end of the day, a 386% increase in a week. If we extend that two weeks to where the curve is expected to start to spike some places, that gets us to 116,000. If we follow the "doubling every 3 days" rough number thrown around, that gets us to 256K.

Hope my math and assumptions are very wrong, and things cap out at under 50k; seems unlikely but I can't envision a scenario where things play out better than that.

What about the general observation that the kind of social distancing and control measures being taken globally are completely unprecedented*, and are obviously slowing the spread of the virus and the rate at which medical infrastructure is overwhelmed? That is, if we came out of this as "well, this didn't actually kill any/many more people than a bad flu year..", it would still be "...but keeping the numbers that low required massive, unprecedented measures be taken which have fundamentally changed the social fabric of the country".

That still sounds nothing like "normal flu year" to me?

Also, your article about 80,000 deaths very clearly states that was the "worst flu season in four decades", and the number from CDC for last year was 34,200. So, you're already making a comparison not to a normal flu year, but to the wost flu since 1977. Those deaths are also pretty consistently distributed over a reliable and fairly lengthy (13-16 week) season; it's just not comparable to something that has a sudden spike that demands all the resources at once

Do you think that actually social distancing doesn't matter, all the science on this is wrong, and that if people had just continued to go about their lives as normal we wouldn't be looking at a substantially worse situation? If so, why do you believe that?

If this is still in "normal flu" situation, why is NYC reporting morgues full, crematories running 24/7, and FEMA trailers used as porta-morgues when none of those things happen during flu years, including the 2018/2019 season?

I am just trying to reconcile "these are pretty normal numbers" with "everything in society has changed and yet we're still running out of ICU and morgue capacity". Imagine how many more people the flu would kill if we didn't have moderately effective vaccines..

* excluding parts of Asia that are used to doing this song and dance from SARS/MERS

6. Bndsmheowqhe

Bndsmheowqhe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      The Simpsons - The Bear Patrol and Lisa's...

You're missing the point. We experienced an actual death toll that is similar to the projected numbers (which are almost certainly going to be too high) without experiencing any of the mass hysteria and economic destruction we're currently witnessing
      Social distancing was supposed to be about "flattening the curve" in order to reduce the strain on our medical system by spreading the illness out over a longer period of time. Now that the doomsday scenario has failed to pan out it's predictably being rebranded as the reason we never achieved the higher death tolls that were never going to happen in the first place.
      You mean like this picture of an 'overwhelmed' NYC hospital?

1ThmhsG.jpg

7. Jack V

Jack V Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2020
      Alternatively, generations of Romanian vampires (with immune systems even more robust than Chinese bats) have been living among the humans and quietly inoculating them through their nightly feedings. :android::android::android:

8. Gabriel5050
      No Mood

Gabriel5050 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (most likely)
      @Luman Yes, I was referring to the Romanian government. We had a streak of bad prime ministers if you ask me. Also, nowhere did the word "here" appear in my comment you quoted, so idk what you're asking.

• Like Like x 1
    9. Jack V

Jack V Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2020
      When I suggested to him that he was confusing the overall number of deaths in an entire flu season with early numbers of a novel virus with a significantly higher percentage of mortality, at the very onset of its introduction into the human species (not to mention no herd immunity, no vaccine, no treatment, and unprecedented mitigation), instead of responding to the content, he responded with a series of condescending insults, which I interpret as his way of saying “yes, of course you’re right, but it’s important to me to appear smarter than everyone else.”

But yes, of course you’re right. However, I doubt you will “win” this argument with him, at least in his response, even though facts, science, and the shared experience of people all over the world happen to be on your side.

10. Bndsmheowqhe

Bndsmheowqhe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      You're rewriting history. You were trying to draw a clumsy parallel using Space Shuttle missions and commercial airline flights that actually contradicted your position.
      When I pointed out the deficiencies of your reasoning you started arguing in circles rather than acknowledge your mistake and then played the victim when you were called out on your passive aggressive behavior.

• Like Like x 1
    11. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      An Oxford University study estimates the fatality rate as being 0.1% - 0.26%.
      https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/global-covid-19-case-fatality-rates/

12. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Any thoughts on Event 201 and Lockstep?

13. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      • Funny Funny x 1
    14. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Well, I've been reading a lot of conspiracy theories lately because I have few things to entertain me right now. This is the type of event that conspiracy theorists have been waiting for, and I personally am interested to see if their theories about the virus are correct or if they have no idea what they're talking about. The conspiracy community seems to attract both intellectuals and random midwest truckers looking for bigfoot in their spare time.

15. all to gain
      No Mood

all to gain Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      I see UK health secretary Matt Hancock has said Premier League footballers should "take a pay cut and play their part" during the coronavirus pandemic.

I wonder if he is going to follow his own advice and take a pay cut?

16. another sean
      Studious

another sean Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Long duration of low audio
      • Funny Funny x 1
    17. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

SugarMagnolia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      He must get some funny looks in the laundromat. :wideyed:

• Funny Funny x 1
    18. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Different kind of masks. Someone wearing a cloth mask protects other people from his nasty droplet-ridden exhalations. Someone wearing an N95 respirator mask protects himself from other people's nasty droplet-ridden exhalations.

Basically, the masks you are being asked to wear do not protect you. They protect other people from you. The masks that would protect you are the ones you're not allowed to have.

19. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      This is why so many people don't see the relationship between economic inequality and infection rates. For the rich, this sentence actually makes sense. For the poor, it sounds crazy to suggest going to the laundromat everyday and then waiting in that crowded room without the mask while my mask is in a drier that just contained who-knows-what.

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      For everyone who is wearing a mask, please remember: Once you put the mask on, don't touch it.

Put the mask on at home with freshly washed hands.
      While you're out, NEVER touch the mask.
      When you come home, wash your hands before removing the mask.
      Discard the mask. Then wash your hands again.

If you have to keep touching the mask to adjust it, you are touching the thin piece of cloth that is pressed against your nose and mouth. The rule 'don't touch your face' also means don't touch the cloth that is on your face.

I imagine a lot of people "feel" safe wearing a mask without realizing that every time they adjust it they are putting themselves in danger.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    21. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      • Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    22. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      It also reduces your exposure to viral load, making you less sick if you do get exposed, so it protects you, too.

But yeah you still should social distance, etc.

• Like Like x 1
    23. PhoenixAcademy

PhoenixAcademy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise?
      I want to know the name(s) of the people responsible for this, an explanation, and then real images of what is being claimed. I went to the hardware store yesterday and it reminded me of the first level of Half-Life 2. I personally don't even know anyone that is infected, neither does anyone that I have asked.

24. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      I'm having a super hard time understanding what you mean here.

Were people not masturbating? Because of COVID-19? What now??

25. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Ask me and that will change.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    26. aot
      Depressed

aot Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016. Worsened 11/2019.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably noise induced, worsened due to noise exposur + flu
      I think that's just him throwing shade at a comment Bill made once.

27. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      In one of the posts I made many moons ago, I pointed out that sex is using a woman's body to masturbate. It looks like that post made a huge impression on HeavyMantra.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Genius Genius x 1
    28. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      What have YOU personally done to not be economically unequal? What's your education like?

Have you ever tried to not do anything except study for several years? That's all you had to do.

29. Lilah
      Mellow

Lilah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I know 4 people infected, indirectly:
      - Two unnamed coworkers, maybe I know them
      - Another coworker's father
      - Churchgoer's nanny's grandpa passed

30. Lilah
      Mellow

Lilah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      How to Make Your own Face Covering!!!
      Surgeon General, Dr. Jerome Adams, shares ways to create your own face covering in a few easy steps.

How to Make Your own Face Covering