Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2 / COVID-19) and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by ajc, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Psych
      Wishful

Psych Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Many moons...
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm just jumping in here without reading the previous posts, so please forgive me if this is too far out in left field. I don't know about Benadryl and tinnitus, and I'm glad it helped you, but it has been linked, for those who don't know, with Alzheimer's in those 65 and older. This was for those who took it for three years, and that raised the probability of getting Alzheimer's to a whopping 54%.

Not sure what the rules on are posting links, but here's one from Harvard Health:

Common anticholinergic drugs like Benadryl linked to increased dementia risk

Now back to your regularly scheduled posting! ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
    2. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Lots of hearsay and incorrect facts being thrown about and repeated. For example, the excess death figures:

(Read this first)

Fact check: Chart does not present accurate US deaths figure for 2020

DDE37529-7F37-4826-8744-9E97C69A4BA9.jpeg

33388E2C-294E-4C82-BF34-F808D35A5BBB.jpeg

There’s no mention of long COVID by anyone either. We already know it’s not massively deadly, but it’s still about 10 times more deadly than the flu, and it also leaves people with lasting problems.

Here’s the latest on this from the ONS in the UK:

Estimating the prevalence of long COVID symptoms

This research strand aims to quantify the prevalence of, and risk factors for, long COVID symptoms following a confirmed or suspected infection. The Coronavirus (COVID-19) Infection Survey is a nationally-representative sample of the UK community population, and data items collected include COVID-19 test results and respondent-reported data on symptoms. To date, we have estimated that:
      • Around 1 in 5 respondents testing positive for COVID-19 exhibit symptoms for a period of 5 weeks or longer

• Around 1 in 10 respondents testing positive for COVID-19 exhibit symptoms for a period of 12 weeks or longer
      Using these estimates (along with the equivalent proportions for durations of 6 to 11 weeks) and the published weekly incidence rates from the COVID-19 Infection Survey, we estimate that during the week commencing 22 November 2020, around 186,000 people in private households in England were living with symptoms that had persisted for between 5 and 12 weeks, with a 95% confidence interval of 153,000 to 221,000.

———————————————————————————

I would honestly take conversations on social media with a pinch of salt.

3. Psych
      Wishful

Psych Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Many moons...
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I think what we've seen so far will pale in comparison to the totalitarian moves that will be busted out in the wake of these first forays, now that it is plain that the command to "JUMP!" will usually be followed by the query "How high?"

• Agree Agree x 2
    4. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
    5. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      The lockdown debate is a separate issue in my mind as there is no perfect solution. Anyone calling it a hoax, however, can be dismissed as having shit for brains.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
    6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      https://www.euromomo.eu/graphs-and-maps

Makes it clear that the only slightly unusual number of excess deaths that has been experienced in Europe took place on weeks 13-16 of 2020.
      I have NEVER seen Anyone calling it a hoax. People are saying that the response has been an overreaction.

7. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      We rely on the scientific community to help us in all endeavours relating to our health, and in this regard, we cannot cherry-pick when we wish to believe them. This makes us hypocrites.

Many want more help with tinnitus and hyperacusis via peer-reviewed research, for example, but what’s the point if they are all liars that are being led by a satanic cabal?

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It is easy to know when to believe them. Trust your lying eyes. Also, compare the response to the response to other issues that take lives (e.g., traffic deaths).

9. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Did you actually read the thread that you asked people to look at?

It was full of pearls of wisdom like this:

EA5FDD5F-3B66-4E9F-953C-F6B7E3E90480.jpeg
      0033680A-762B-4FFD-AD46-968BCD4C64BE.jpeg
      1A83222A-1359-4CAA-BC47-49A318640DC0.jpeg
      A3DFEC0E-3E76-47F5-BE7A-EF58508F4CCF.jpeg
      BA48FA19-8E09-4B07-BF98-F7354033A861.jpeg

These people must be getting their numbers from the same fake conspiracy sites that others seem to.
      The latest data are not in yet, and you also have to consider that we spent most of this year sitting at home.

Are you saying that you are more qualified to judge this situation than the epidemiologists and virologists around the world?

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      "A fake pandemic" doesn't mean the author doesn't think COVID-19 isn't real. In Canada, about 1 in 3000 people has died of COVID-19. Assuming that the official figures are true, that's not MUCH of a pandemic! When we say "pandemic", we imagine something devastating like 5-40% of the population dying. So, COVID-19 isn't fake, but referring to it as "pandemic" is misleading.

And what part of the tweet that began with "Yes, mostly fake" is wrong?
      The multiple epidemiologists and virologists around the world who spoke out, got silenced. Their YouTube videos - deleted.

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=cs&tl=en&u=https://www.klaus.cz/clanky/4654

11. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      That’s a bit narcissistic. You assume to know more than the combined expertise of the world on this matter. Do you also debate well-known problems within the field of physics, with physicists, so you can tell them when they are wrong? Or heart problems with cardiothoracic surgeons, maybe?

Sometimes you have to admit that this isn’t your field of expertise.

You regularly call this nothing more than the flu. Just swallow your pride, admit that you were wrong, and move on.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      That was your response to me saying "trust your lying eyes". What I was trying to say is that ruining a year of life of most people on planet Earth, condemning countless people to poverty, etc., are appropriate responses to a disease that would result in corpses rotting in the streets. My eyes are telling me that that's not what is happening. Enough said.

13. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Fake by definition means not real, and pandemic by definition is the worldwide spread of a new disease. That makes COVID-19 a pandemic. The mortality is irrelevant.

The fact you are defending those idiotic comments speaks volumes. If someone says something is ”fake,” they are saying it is not real. It's just another way of calling something a hoax. If this is the standard of where you’ve been getting your information from then it’s no wonder you’re so confused.

The facts are irrefutable at this point. Anyone arguing against them is in denial, and no reasonable debate can be expected. I know of around 10 people that have died from COVID-19, this year, and others like my mom who have suffered a longterm impact from it (heart and kidney problems in her case). I don’t know of anybody who has died from the flu in my lifetime. Also, our local hospital was overrun. Many of the wards had to be converted to Covid wards which put a huge strain on everything. I know this first-hand because a lot of my students are doctors there, and my mom was also a patient there. It’s not like I am taking information from the MSM. For me, this is based on real life.

My eyes tell a different story to yours, but then I’m in an area that’s had it bad.

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I find it ironic that you found what I said funny, @PeteJ, after you went silent in the other thread when I presented you with some facts.

There are a lot of easily influenced and gullible people out there. I’m shocked at how stupid people can actually be, and COVID-19 has exposed this. There are people using memes as forms of evidence for fucks sake :LOL: (pardon my french).

God forbid we don’t face a deadlier virus in our lifetimes because we will all be screwed. Everyone is too stupid and selfish.

• Agree Agree x 2
    15. Static Sophie 73

Static Sophie 73 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      The infection rates are so high in Europe and the US - why haven’t state borders and country borders in Europe been closed to stop movement? It just doesn’t make any sense.

Our state borders had been closed for weeks - at one stage here in Melbourne we couldn’t go 5 kilometers from our houses. Police would fine us if we got caught. It was harsh but we haven’t had community transmission here in Melbourne for over 2 months now. Schools were closed, people working from home. Only supermarkets, petrol stations, post offices open. Our international borders have been closed for months. Only returning Australians coming in and having to do 14 day hotel quarantine when they get off the plane. Most people were wearing masks too - which has been relaxed now.

16. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      :LOL:
      A9042423-F375-493E-818B-50C13D1BA787.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 1
    17. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Yeah, a deadlier virus one than a 99.7% survival rate plus so deadly you need to get tested to know you have it.

Okay, Ed.

• Funny Funny x 1
    18. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I love how you replied using the exact wording of the popular meme that everyone shares :ROFL:

Great way to prove my point.

Fact is is it’s not that deadly. We all know that, but circa 1% (your figure is higher than the data suggests) of the worlds population is still a lot of people, and it’s still around 10 times worse than the flu. My main argument here is against those who insist it’s just another flu.

However, I don’t really want to argue as this is a health board at the end of the day, so if you truly believe the conspiracy theory stuff, then good luck to you.

• Agree Agree x 2
    19. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't disagree, but -- "the dose makes the poison". From your link here, the full context:
      There's a tremendous difference between taking these drugs daily, and taking them infrequently as needed. There does appear to be some significant risk for the elderly doing the former, but I personally use Benadryl about six times a year so I'm not worried :) If we assume 3 months was 120 days of consecutive use, it's going to take me about 40 years to hit that amount of consumption, and which point I expect to be dead or close to it.

Tylenol is also terrible for your hearing if you take it constantly, and basically "fine" if you take it four times a year when you really need it.

20. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      It’s not higher. That's a lie! The data suggests exactly this claim. There's so many false positives and you refuse to look at other information or dismiss it outright.

They share the meme because it's... uh, accurate.

Here is yet another study of asymptomatic people in China.

Asymptomatic transmission of COVID-19 didn’t occur at all, study of 10 million finds

21. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Have you read any journals on this matter? False positives are much less likely than false negatives. The estimate for the rate of false positives is somewhere between 0.8% and 4%:

https://www.thelancet.com/pdfs/journals/lanres/PIIS2213-2600(20)30453-7.pdf

Whereas the estimate for false negatives is somewhere between 2% and 29%:

https://www.bmj.com/content/bmj/369/bmj.m1808.full.pdf

These are known issues that will be accounted for when the data are analysed by experts.

The PCR test is the current gold standard and the best we have. There are much bigger issues with the rapid lateral flow tests as their accuracy is poor. However, pretty much all the tests that have been done in this country have been PCR tests.

What information are you saying I’m ignoring or dismissing? As far as I can recall, you haven’t presented anything. You’ve only repeated things you’ve read on social media.

22. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      ED, check out Pete's source if you haven't.

Asymptomatic transmission of COVID-19 didn’t occur at all, study of 10 million finds

Illuminating... you may want to stop typing in light of that.

Take care buddy.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    23. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      This has nothing to do with the points he was making, though? The debate of whether asymptomatic people can spread it has been going on for months; I’ve been reading about it for a while now.

Pete was talking about survival rates and the effectiveness of the PCR test, without using citations. What am I missing, and I say this in the politest form?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    24. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      I was being sarcastic my friend.
      Sarcasm doesn't work well sometimes in written verse.

I agree with you and was saying you're not going to get anywhere with Pete on this one.

Please go to the site Pete referenced and check out the article and the other headlines and blogs.
      I am sure you will find it illuminating to where Pete's coming from.

25. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Yea, I get you, Daniel. Sarcasm requires the tone of one’s voice which is missing in the written form.

If this is getting back to the lockdown debate then I’ve already stated that I’m not in full agreement with such actions. I’m aware I’m not an expert, though, so my opinion carries very little weight. However, I think that constantly locking down the country introduces other significant problems that must be equally accounted for. I have no idea what the solution to this problem is.

• Like Like x 1
    26. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I’ve just been on the phone to my cousin and she told me that her friends' husband is now in hospital on a ventilator with COVID-19. He’s only 44 and has no underlying health problems. She said that it was only a couple of days ago that his wife posted a picture of him with an oxygen mask on saying please pray for him. His oxygen levels were down to 62%.

The hospitals are all getting dangerously full around here. I’ve been told it’s the worst it’s ever been.

27. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      A US politician from Louisiana just died of COVID-19 at 41 with no underlying health conditions.

• Informative Informative x 1
    28. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I know many people who have lost their lives to this now. There was a security guard at the hospital who was in his 30s with no other health conditions. A lady named Jean who my mom befriended whilst in hospital. A family that my cousin knew who lost 3 people to it: 2 who were a married couple, and a relative of theirs who lived in Spain. They were either in their 40s or 50s. A nurse or doctor who worked with my mother-in-law. My friends’ boss died with it a week after confirming he had it during a zoom call, and another friend’s grandfather passed away with it recently as well.

Then I come on here and people are still comparing it to the flu.

• Funny Funny x 1
    29. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Nutrition... Common sense preventative measures... Common sense treatment measures... Can all be done without lockdowns, without potentially dangerous drugs, without vaccines, with the added benefit of not having to worry about the next big bad virus. I believe the reason this virus is as deadly as it is is because of the compromised nutritional status of most people, probably mostly from eating low quality foods and living on a highly polluted planet--and a few other variables.

I'm not opposed to vaccines, or even drugs when used with discretion. But I am opposed to the mindset from the vaccine world that this is the only possible salvation from this crisis. It isn't, not even close. The cumulative potential of Vit. D, Vit. C, Zinc, Melatonin, along with good nutrition and various viricidal H2O2 and essential oil sprays can greatly protect most people from getting infected, and from having a severe infection if they do.

The below linked 5-min. video is just the latest information I've run across which is essentially what I've been reading and hearing since the beginning of the year. At the 1:30 mark, she says that recent studies show 90% of COVID-19 deaths could be prevented just by having adequate Vit. D levels in the body. Which begs the question, why aren't these types of positive headlines leading the evening news instead of hardly focusing on anything except death and vaccinations?

Studies suggest 4 vitamins to lower risk of severe cases of COVID-19

30. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine