Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2 / COVID-19) and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by ajc, Feb 28, 2020.

1. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      This is somehow completely how you come across in your posts :).

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    2. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      @HeavyMantra -- I'd never heard of it before. I just did some quick online searches, and it appears to be an antihistamine drug, which means it's almost assuredly an anticholinergic drug (like Preomethazine is). These drugs work by inhibiting acetylcholine receptors, which are everywhere in the body, but especially in the neurological system, including the brain (to make memories) and inner ears.

Lots of room for things to go wrong if a person's body doesn't react well to having important neurotransmitters' functionality altered. Apparently for most people, it can cause a drowsiness and/or a relaxing effect. This is apparently why it's given to children. Bu are the risks really worth it?. From what I can gather, many of those children given a "harmless" dose of Alimemazine will likely end up with tinnitus, which is what happened to me.

• Like Like x 1
    3. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      That's just like your opinion, man...

• Like Like x 3
    4. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think we're on the same page, as far as kids generally being overmedicated, Americans generally being too pill happy, etc. But the idea that "many of these children will end up with tinnitus" I don't think is something that makes sense or is data supported, so I am curious where you're gathering that information. I'm not disputing or trying to make light of your situation, I just think it's so unusual that it's hard to extrapolate much from.

These drugs are not known to be ototoxic, and, while basically anything psychoactive can probably cause tinnitus under extremely unusual circumstances, children are given Benadryl and other anticholinergics all the time, as well as adults, they are some of the most commonly used OTC and prescription drugs in the country, and they're not associated with tinnitus development in any clinical papers I can find. I'd be more concerned about stuff like Tylenol, which, while not psychoactive, is definitely ototoxic (and anecdotally caused direct, temporary tinnitus in my MIL so she doesn't use it...). Risk vs reward definitely skews heavily to reward, especially when you look at stuff like anaphylactic reactions, etc (as a kid I was allergic to bee stings; Benadryl prevented it from progressing breathing difficulties...).

Vistaril has been used pretty widely by people on here as a lightweight sleep drug; it's also a gen-1 anticholinergic drug which also exerts activity on other transmitters; I've never seen any horror stories.

5. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:

Congrats on your 130% utilization, LA!

:(

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    6. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Don’t worry too much, linearb, as it’s just another flu. Maybe you could inform the hospitals in question as they clearly missed the memo.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      The latest strain is apparently more contagious and is spreading more rampantly. We were supposed to have a reprieve over Christmas for 5 days in the UK, but this has been cancelled because of the new strain.

• Funny Funny x 1
    8. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      What was the utilization like during one of the years when the flu had been especially bad?

How often would the utilization exceed 100% before 2020?

Why would they not answer these questions preemptively?

The brains of those who wouldn't think to ask these questions have been devoured and replaced with the foam of COVID-19 propaganda.

9. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      One wouldn't have to make these drastic changes to see the resemblance between me and that fictional character.

10. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      A new variant of the coronavirus is sweeping across London and southern England. Scientists believe it is significantly more contagious than other strains. Here's what we know so far.

A new strain of coronavirus is sweeping across southern England, spurring heightened restrictions in the region and flight bans within Europe.

So what do we know about the new virus mutation?

UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson said the fast-moving new variant of the virus is 70% more transmissible than existing strains, and appears to be driving a rapid spike in new infections in London and southern England.

However, "there's no evidence to suggest it is more lethal or causes more severe illness," or that vaccines would be less effective against it, he said.

Britain alerted the World Health Organization that the new strain — identified last week — was the likely cause of the surge in infections, accounting for around 60% of London's cases.

Just over 1,100 Covid-19 cases with the new variant had been identified as of Sunday, according to a statement from Public Health England. The strain was also detected in South Africa last week.

https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-what-we-know-about-the-uks-new-covid-strain/a-56000831

This has been widely reported over the last few days.

11. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      People don’t think it’s funny in the UK, @Bill Bauer. Many were looking forward to seeing their loved ones at Christmas. This is quickly becoming as much a mental health crisis as a physical one. I fail to see how it’s funny in any way shape or form.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Neither do I! What's happening is sad.
      I get it why you keep swallowing as they spit into your face. I would most likely do it too if they were to implement those drastic measures where I live.
      It is funny that you are taking the nonsense seriously. They are specifically doing it in such a way that it is obvious that it is nonsense. In other words, they aren't Hiding the fact that it is nonsense - the stats for the excess deaths are publicly available for all to see.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    13. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    14. Tanni
      Devilish

Tanni Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ???
      I completely agree Ed - I was outraged to see Bill Bauer laughing at us as well. This situation is devastating, and being mocked and laughed at on a support forum of all places is just disgusting. My Dad almost died from this virus, and instead of support we get some guy from Canada laughing.

I hope all of us in the UK can manage to have some semblance of a Christmas/holiday celebration under these new rules, and that everyone stays safe and well.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Hug Hug x 2
    15. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Sorry to hear about your dad, Tanni. My mom was also seriously ill with it and was in hospital for 3 weeks.

• Hug Hug x 1
    16. Tanni
      Devilish

Tanni Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ???
      Thanks Ed, sorry to hear about your Mum as well. I hope she is doing much better now. My Dad is still recovering and will probably need some physiotherapy, but he's a lot improved.

It's a very scary time, especially for those of us with elderly relatives. I worry about my Grandparents every day. I hope by the end of 2021 we have finally rid ourselves of this thing!

• Hug Hug x 2
    17. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      She has been left with heart and kidney problems and is still waiting to see a cardiologist as they want to do a 24-hour trace of her heart. The experience of seeing someone die from COVID-19 really upset and traumatised her as well. Especially since she became good friends with the lady who died. She had the vaccine yesterday along with my dad and is now waiting for the second jab which is scheduled for early January.

• Hug Hug x 1
    18. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
    19. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      **checks math** 2800 deaths a day is 504,000 across a normal 6 month flu season, so at present burn rate...

I will accept this argument, if we change the phrasing to, "it's just seventeen flu seasons with no cross immunity all happening at once". Since, you know, our IFR here looks like 10-20 flus all stacked on top of each other.

• Like Like x 2
    20. Static Sophie 73

Static Sophie 73 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      I find it perplexing at the seemingly widespread non compliance attitude of folk in the US and UK. You wonder why you have such high number of cases?

Melbourne (Australia) has had no community transmission for over 6 weeks now. We had a harsh lockdown - it was tough - but we thought of the greater good of the broader community not our ‘personal freedoms’ - it’s a pandemic!

You need to forget your personal freedoms for a while.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 3
    21. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      Congratulations, I hope the numbers stay down and you guys can enjoy swimming, BBQ, family and friends and normal life as we knew it.

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    22. david c

david c Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2012
      I completely agree Tanni, but I shouldn't take it to heart. The guy to whom you are referring is just an idiot. As well as the incredible insensitivity he's shown towards those who have suffered from COVID-19, he's just completely wrong about the facts as well as the latest large-scale study showing COVID-19 three times deadlier than influenza shows:

Comparison of the characteristics, morbidity, and mortality of COVID-19 and seasonal influenza: a nationwide, population-based retrospective cohort study

COVID-19 'Far More Serious' Than Flu, Inpatient Data Confirm

• Agree Agree x 1
    23. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I’ve just been informed that a good friend of mine has lost his grandfather to the coronavirus. His grandma got it first and became really ill with it, but she pulled through. Then his grandad got it, and unfortunately, he has passed away.

Where I live at the moment it’s everywhere. It’s in every school, nursery, hospital, etc. Some of my friends who work at the local hospital are getting vaccinated this week.

• Hug Hug x 2
    24. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Here is a classic example of someone on Facebook not having a clue. Notice how they all come out with the same nonsense as if they’ve all read the same script. Things like: “the PCR test inventor said it wasn’t made to look for the coronavirus.” :LOL::ROFL: He died in August 2019 and never said that at all. Do these people fact check anything, or even understand how a PCR test works? Next is the usual, “please do some research instead of believing the mainstream media.” :LOL::ROFL: It’s so absurdly funny to me that in this day and age of information people can be so utterly stupid.

22D34CC2-844B-4768-A049-29EF14989C0C.jpeg
      F09DA314-6B6A-4108-948B-CD7A793B92E8.jpeg
      7427FED5-4E0D-4C9A-AF4E-1A6615691D43.jpeg 1A5062FE-E5E2-4B96-AAE6-A1456F2440DF.jpeg

25. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Anybody into folklore? The following story (indented below) is a rendition on the thieves story that has been around for quite some time. I think it has relevance to the current COVID-19 pandemic, and I use the preventative remedy it mentions to help protect myself from becoming infected.

I became aware of this story many years ago, and then had an interesting experience with a plumber who came to the house to swap out a hot water heater. I immediately smelled what I thought was a cologne, but he assured me it was only essential oils.

When I asked him for more information about it, he explained that plumbing is a really dirty job, and he used to get sick all the time. He then heard about the thieves story, and decided to try it. He said once he started applying it before going to work, he never gets sick any more.

I make some up in a mist bottle, and do a few sprays into my mouth and nose, so that it gets into my lungs and sinuses. I also do the same with a dilute mist (2%) of food grade hydrogen peroxide. I then rub the mist that's left on my face all over my whole face and neck, and even into my ears (where infections can take hold). I do this every time I come out of a store, or other indoor places where people congregate.

I'm going to start using the thieves blend before going into indoor places, as I think the oils will become absorbed into the sinuses and remain there for a period of time. I strongly believe that if everybody did these simply preventative measures, there's a strong possibility COVID-19 could become a non-issue. Especially if combined with a targeted nutritional support, like Vit. D, Vit, C, zinc, melatonin, and others. -- Here's the story...

Used for thousands of years, essential oils have been leveraged for emotional as well as physical healing, perfumery and cosmetics, and rituals and ceremonies. Folklore has many variations of the story of thieves, an essential oil blend very popular today.

Our favorite rendition dates back to 1413. During the 15th century bubonic plague in Europe and Asia, four European thieves made it a habit to rob the deceased of anything of value. These bodies were highly contagious with the plague, which begins with severe flu symptoms and then continues with the bacteria infecting the blood system, usually ending in death (it is estimated 150 million people passed during this four year pandemic). However, these nasty villains never contracted the plague. It was reported that they wore hats and masks that smelled of vinegar and garlic and herbs and spices, namely cloves, lemons, cinnamon, eucalyptus, and rosemary.

A French version also involves the thieves. These hooligans were caught and jailed for robbing sick or vulnerable people, but never caught the deadly illness. They were to be burned alive for their crimes, but their judge told them he would spare them that if they would share how they avoided the plague. The thieves said that they were perfume and spice merchants who lost their livelihoods because of the thorough devastation of the disease. They combined cloves, lemon, cinnamon, eucalyptus, and rosemary and applied the blend to their hands, ears, feet, temples, and on a mask that they wore over their mouth.

Then they went out and about and committed their crimes, protected from the very infectious illness. Once the judge learned of their secret (and shared it among all he knew), he did spare them the punishment of being burned and he them hung instead.

The combination of these herbs and spices, especially when concentrated to an essential oil, contains properties that are antimicrobial, anti-fungal, antiseptic, and antiviral - and it smells great, too! The combined scent is a warm, comforting feeling.​

• Like Like x 1
    26. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Just want to mention this once again: COVID-19 made my tinnitus significantly worse. I had almost no symptoms, it's not a temporary things caused by gunk in my respiratory tract.

Be careful.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    27. Lucifer

Lucifer Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Will you be getting the vaccine?

28. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      No idea, depends on if there are side effects. I will wait a long time before getting it for sure.

29. Robert H

Robert H Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5 months
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Covid-19
      Hi,

My tinnitus started when I got COVID-19.

• Hug Hug x 6
    30. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma