Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2 / COVID-19) and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by ajc, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      It’s been a while since I last spoke to you, Lane. I hope you and your family are all doing ok.

I used to have a good diet and was conscious of what I ate, but it’s recently gone to sh*t. This post is a reminder to me that we are only as good as the food that we put into our bodies. I’m gonna try and start eating properly again.

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    2. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      They are now rationing the oxygen down south because they don’t have enough. This also happened in April and it led to at least one hospital - that I’m aware of - having to overhaul their storage supply.

We have just been put into tier 4 which is a full lockdown. We can no longer leave our house again. It’s getting pretty bad now.

677B7D55-E18A-427A-AB4B-3BD16C378C31.jpeg

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      This brings home the reality of the situation. This just popped up on my Facebook and is the person I was talking about. It’s really tragic and shows there are people with families behind those numbers you see.

3EC31E2C-C4BE-4DD3-94E8-EEAFD4A4663B.jpeg

• Agree Agree x 2
    4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      "When you can't just "trust the science" because the scientists keep lying to you and then saying, "oh, that was just a noble lie, sorry about that."

"He admitted he knowingly lied about mask use as well - to protect medical supplies."
      Well, not ALL of them get overrun ;)

The lady who filmed the video above got arrested...

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Bill, at this point I don’t see the significance of that Tweet. It’s irrelevant. And what does the story about a crazy woman in Gloucestershire prove?

B9B063FB-5CFD-4736-B541-9B81800C92C0.jpeg

You talked about your lying eyes, well, mine aren’t. My friends who work in various sectors of the NHS have all said they are tired and fed up. Those who work in ICU are terrified they might become overwhelmed and not have the capability to treat everyone. Why should I suddenly pay attention to a news story when the common argument all along has been that the MSM are the ones who shouldn’t be trusted?

This is real-life, not a news story. I know eight people who have died since March. Eight. I know many more who have longterm damage because of this. Another person I haven’t mentioned is my sister-in-law’s boss, who now has heart and lung damage because of COVID-19.

My post above is another real life story that won’t be found in a newspaper. He has kids, and a family, and is in a sedated state on a ventilator fighting for his life. I’ve known of this man (not personally) since I was at school, and he is close to a lot of my friends and relatives.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    6. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:

Some LA hospitals are in disaster triage now, which means patients who would normally be transported to the ER by ambulance are in some cases being allowed to die on scene, because there are no hospital beds for them.

Right now this is limited to people who have had cardiac arrest and could not be resuscitated in the field. Such people have, generally, a bad to terrible prognosis once they do get to the ER. The things that should be scary here are:

a) this is unprecedented in modern US history; I'm not aware of any situations where major metro areas have let people die in numbers outside the hospital because no hospital was able to accept them

b) there's no reason to assume this stops here: the curves are still going up. It's reasonable to assume that some places will hit worse states where they are unable to find ICU space for car accident victims, stroke victims, and any number of other conditions which might otherwise be treatable but are now a death sentence.

We're in a health crisis which is completely unprecedented in modern history, and because modern transportation technology is the main thing that's made it globally endemic at a time when our population is higher than ever, it's safe to say that this is just an unprecedented event period.

People who don't want to accept that basic reality are not playing with a full deck of cards. That doesn't mean there isn't room for disagreement over nitty gritty specifics, or over some of the questions about long term harm where we just don't have enough data. It's not worth arguing with COVID-19 truthers any more than it's worth arguing with people who think the earth is flat, though: both of these things are outlandish conspiracy theories.

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    7. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    8. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      This data is very misleading because wards were reallocated and routine and non-urgent operations were cancelled. The beds being counted are for non-COVID-19 admissions, meaning there are fewer non-COVID-19 hospitalisations. If you go to the source of where they claim this data is from you’ll find this:

76BB42E2-601E-45D1-BC5C-6E37D0438D40.jpeg

4B62C202-701F-40C5-8C45-AF600CA43EB7.jpeg

My friend knows the guy who runs our local ICU, and he said the raw data is misleading because of how things are counted. He said he’s never seen it this bad before.

I can also add to this that more beds were available, at least in my city, because the NHS starting using a well-known private hospital’s beds nearby. This also wouldn’t show up in the data, but I have it on good authority that around 80% of the beds were being used there. This means that people with private health insurance, such as my cousin, were being denied operations because the beds were being used for COVID-19 patients. My cousins' son had to wait months for an emergency circumcision where he was in excruciating agony. They couldn’t sleep and were worried sick about him. A nurse had to milk his penis at one point to try and get some urine out because it swelled up like a balloon under the pressure. In the end, it exploded, and he now has extensive scar tissue. Bear in mind they were paying for private health cover that they couldn’t get access to because of the coronavirus.

• Like Like x 1
    9. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I agree.

10. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It isn't misleading because everyone is aware of the fact that routine surgeries had been cancelled. The fact that the capacity utilization is 80% of last year's capacity shows that the surgeries Shouldn't have been cancelled, and that there had been fewer COVID-19 patients than the authorities had been expecting. It is also showing that the average hospital out there Hasn't been overflowing. This means that the hospitals that had been overflowing (if any) could have sent the patients to be treated elsewhere.

As for bed available, as I pointed out in my response to you that I posted earlier today (isn't still there?) - the video shot by that "crazy lady" illustrates that they close hospital wings (due to low utilization and cancelled procedures) and then claim that there are fewer beds available.

Of course in 2021 we will be told that the hospitals are overrun, but the small print will be that it is overrun with the patients who got denied treatment in 2020.

Given all of the horror stories that you have to tell (and especially the latest one), it is simply Incredible that you hold the views that you do...

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    11. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Bill, it’s misleading because this line does not include people who have had COVID-19:

EF9B85E7-07BC-4869-8096-A79BD42D0417.jpeg

You are starting to trip up over your own arguments. You said the most important number was the excess deaths/total deaths. Well, how do you explain all of those? Or does that no longer matter to you?

For England and Wales, this is around 80,000 if you look at the ONS. And for the USA, it was already around 300,000 in October, and the data lag by a few weeks, so it will be a lot more than this by early next year.

Amid pandemic, U.S. has seen 300,000 ‘excess deaths,’ with highest rates among people of color

This explains how a meme on social media is fooling people regarding death figures:

Fact check: Chart does not present accurate US deaths figure for 2020

It seems to me that you are being influenced by opinions on Twitter, and the MSM, and not by official figures and real-life. You cannot deny the facts. @linearb is right; at this point, it is like arguing with a Flat Earther.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Are you saying that the 18% fall in bed utilization doesn't include COVID-19 patients? What is the figure that includes those patients?
      I still think that.
      How do I explain what? Lower hospital bed utilization doesn't seem to require any reconciliation with the belief that I stated earlier. It sounds like you are talking about something else?
      In the US they have been housing COVID-19 patients in seniors' homes. But let's ignore that. I realize that the total deaths will, in fact, be higher in 2020 compared to 2019, 2018, and 2017. What I would like to know is the Variability (standard deviation) of the total deaths figure. Alternatively, knowing the total death figure going back to 1959 (the year of another pandemic) would also allow us to figure out what kind of excess mortality is so high that we normally experience it once every 20 years or so.

I just looked it up and it looks like in the UK about 500,000 people had passed away in 2019. Assuming that 600,000 people will end up dying in 2020 in the UK, would imply the death rate rising by 20%. Now, some of those deaths were caused by your Cardiology department being closed for a lot of the year and the increased suicide rate due to people becoming destitute, but let's ignore all of that. Most of the COVID-19 patients are very ill, and of those people the group that died has likely ended up dying a year or two earlier than they would have, had it not been for COVID-19. If this is true, we will see fewer deaths from cancer and old age in 2021 and 2022 than usual.

The point is that 20% increase in the death rate ISN'T grounds for those draconian measures!!! In other words, if we were to spend those trillions of dollars lost as a result of those draconian measures on things like medical research or fixing the roads so that more car accidents are prevented, we would be able to save many more lives than the lives we are saving under the current policies. This means that the policy isn't efficient. We could have saved the same number of lives at a fraction of a cost and at this cost we could have saved many more lives. IMO, the current draconian measures would have been justified if we were to save the lives of 20% to 40% of the population. The current excess mortality figures show that we are not even close to risking losing 20% to 40% of the population.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    13. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I just found out that my brother’s neighbour - who he is really good friends with - just lost her mother to COVID-19. I also know her from various parties we’ve been together at. Her mother went into the hospital with a fractured hip and caught the coronavirus whilst in there. I was told that she was really fit and active and was in her fifties. She didn’t make it. That’s the ninth person I know who has died.

It’s nice to see you thought my post about people dying was funny, @PeteJ.

• Hug Hug x 1
    14. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      Can't believe there are people in this thread who think this isn't real / a hoax. Mind Blowing!

Be better tinnitus community!

• Agree Agree x 6
      • Funny Funny x 1
    15. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      It’s crazy.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Funny Funny x 1
    16. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I'm laughing at your claims. STOP LYING.
      You want more proof? I can post evidence every day if needed. More? Cops in Canada are breaking into people's homes because there's too many family members in the home. Unfreaking real. There's a video of cops breaking into a Gatineau home trying to drag an old man out.

This Clown World is insane. You COVID-19 believers are contributing to this. I wish you could have your own island and leave the sane people alone.

Can't play hockey.

Toronto ramps up efforts to stop illegal hockey and tobogganing

COVID-19 is indeed a hoax. The flawed PCR test, the government lies and brainwashing simpletons to support draconian measures, scaring them into being coerced to take unnecessary (and potentially harmful) vaccines is the 'new norm."

The brainwashed sheep will laugh at this because they are conditioned to be slaves.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    17. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      The fact you think I'm lying suggests this shocks you?

18. Bartoli

Bartoli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2009,worsened 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I get your point, Bill. But it seems that the whole world has averted a bigger crisis already twice over by taking "draconian measures" as you call it. We will not find out what the excess mortality would have been had these measures not been taken.
      It is indeed sad that the government could avoid all other sorts of deaths had they used the money that they've had to spend during this pandemic elsewhere. However, this only serves as a theoretical exercice, because sadly it takes a crisis like COVID-19 to mobilise the government. It doesn't matter. Everything could be better with more funding. Scientific research, housing, climate change, education, arts, ...
      It's simply human nature to have hope and wait until it's already too late.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    19. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      A reporter went into a Canadian hospital after the mayor claimed it was full and overwhelmed. THIS WAS FILMED. It was empty and security guards surrounded him. This was mid December and the Premier used this lie to justify a province-wide LOCKDOWN.

It's easy to lie online about the COVID-19 hysteria but when you're exposed, the natural reaction for some people is to call others names like conspiracy theorists and worse. People hate their lies being exposed.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    20. Bartoli

Bartoli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2009,worsened 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Never have I read more nonsense in one post. Don't listen to me though. Watch what this man has to say about vaccines. I bet he would have taken one if available at the time. The only reason none have to go through what he has suffered with is because of vaccines. Mankind's memory is short-lived it seems.

• Agree Agree x 3
    21. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I shouldn’t even reply to this because it’s a waste of my time, but I’m truly blown away by how suggestible some people actually are. A hoax? Are you for real, or are you just trolling, because it’s difficult to tell?

It blows my mind that people think this can be faked. We’re talking about the entire planet here, not some after school club. All I can say is that we’re lucky the mortality rate is relatively low because as a society we’re not ready for anything more challenging.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
    22. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I can only comment on what I know is going on in my city. A lot of friends of mine work at our local hospital and they are all telling me how bad it is getting there. Why would all my friends lie to me? Are they in on the conspiracy too? I suppose you believe I'm part of it.

I think you need to step away from Youtube and Facebook for a while.

• Agree Agree x 4
    23. Hazel
      Dreaming

Hazel Director Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one-sided hearing loss (of unknown origin)
      @PeteJ, why on earth would you rate a post that talks about eight people dying as "funny"? It shows an appalling lack of empathy.

• Agree Agree x 9
      • Like Like x 1
    24. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      What "bigger crisis"? It is a virus with survival rate that's over 99%!
      We have good estimates for mortality rates for each age group. In any case, the argument above can be used to justify anything. "We threw you in jail for 10 years - we will never know how many people you would have killed had we not done that, so you shouldn't complain about having to serve your time."
      I've seen the video Pete is referring to: police in Quebec (Canada) break into a home because the occupants had family for Christmas. What part of his post is nonsense?!
      The point is that they could have saved a lot more than 1 person for every death we are supposedly avoiding.
      The point is that they Shouldn't have mobilized, and a virus with survival rate over 99% isn't a crisis.
      Government spending comes at the expense of private spending, and is incredibly less efficient than the private spending. When it isn't your money and you not achieving your stated goals results in your budget being Increased, there isn't much incentive to achieve the goals. So I hope it was a typo and you meant to write "LESS funding".
      I am still waiting for your answer to the above, @Ed209.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    25. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I’ll try again, Bill. I was told the data was misleading by a friend of mine because of how things were reorganised. Also, the fact that the occupancy numbers dropped by so much on that graph, after a decade’s worth of data, and during a pandemic, shows something is going on as it represents a significant anomaly.

A lack of available beds can have widespread consequences in a health system. For example, it can increase delays in emergency departments, cause patients to be placed on clinically inappropriate wards and increase the rate of hospital acquired infections, while pressure on staff to free up beds can pose a risk to patient safety. Bed availability is also closely linked to staffing, as beds cannot be safely filled without appropriate staffing levels.

The most recent data presented here are from Q1 2020/21 (April to June 2020). Data from March 2020 will be affected by the coronavirus (Covid-19) pandemic. In March, trusts were asked to urgently discharge all hospital inpatients who were medically fit to leave to free up capacity for the response to the outbreak. Note that these data do not include critical care bed availability and occupancy.

Between Q1 2010/11 and Q4 2019/20, the total number of NHS hospital beds decreased by 11% from 144,455 to 128,935. But the number of occupied beds only decreased by 9%, from 122,551 to 111,324. Therefore, the bed occupancy rate increased slightly from 85% in Q1 2010/11 to 86% in Q4 2019/20. In Q1 2020/21, the bed occupancy rate decreased sharply to 64%, after trusts were asked to discharge all inpatients who were medically fit to leave to free up capacity during the Covid-19 pandemic. The total number of available beds decreased to 118,451, 8% lower than in Q1 2019/20. The number of occupied beds decreased to 76,340.

The number of overnight general and acute beds fell by 8% between Q1 2010/11 and Q4 2019/20, from 110,568 to 102,186. Over the same time period, the number of occupied general and acute beds decreased by 5%, from 95,430 to 90,312. Therefore, the rate of general and acute bed occupancy increased from 86% in Q1 2010/11 to 88% in Q4 2019/20. This is concerning because rising general and acute bed occupancy rates are associated with worsening A&E performance.

In Q1 2020/21, the number of available general and acute beds decreased to 92,596. The number of occupied general and acute beds fell to 58,146, so the general and acute bed occupancy rate decreased sharply to 63%. This came after trusts were asked to free up inpatient and critical care capacity in March 2020 as part of the response to the Covid-19 pandemic, with the aim of freeing up 30,000 or more NHS general and acute beds across England.

In Q1 2020/21 (April to June 2020), after the onset of the Covid-19 pandemic, the number of available beds decreased for all bed types. This reflects the reorganisation of services in response to the pandemic, such as general and acute beds being re-designated as critical care beds (not included in this data) to increase critical care capacity.

So in answer to your question, the graph you showed in your post was for general and acute beds, and because a lot of these were re-designated as critical care beds, they do not show up in the data nor on your graph.

26. Psych
      Wishful

Psych Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Many moons...
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      For anyone who doubts masks are important (video is about two minutes long, the rest is an ad), from "Awaken with JP":

When You Believe All The Propaganda

• Funny Funny x 1
    27. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      On second thought, we know exactly how big of a crisis we had avoided. In California they had been doing strict lockdowns, while that hasn't happened in Florida. It is my understanding that California's numbers exceed Florida's numbers on every measure (e.g., per capita COVID-19 deaths, etc), despite there being more seniors in Florida. Likewise up until recently Sweden hasn't had any restrictions and its numbers mortality don't look Hugely higher than that of its neighbours. I am not saying that restrictions are useless, I am saying that COVID-19 mortality is relatively low to begin with and having the draconian measures shaves off something like 20-50% of that low number (with some of the deaths being delayed by several months, instead of actually being prevented). In other words, the experiences of the jurisdictions where they haven't had lockdowns prove that the mortality wouldn't double or triple or go up 10 times without the lockdowns.

• Like Like x 1
    28. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Not all COVID-19 cases end up in critical care. Wouldn't you agree that the data for the general and acute beds isn't consistent with your country having an actual Crisis (or with whatever it is the authorities had been anticipating when they freed up the beds were to materialize)?

29. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I would say it does, but there are no data currently for this. The NHS has paused the collection and publication of these data:

Critical Care Bed Capacity and Urgent Operations Cancelled

Due to the coronavirus illness (COVID-19) and the need to release capacity across the NHS to support the response, we are pausing the collection and publication of these and some of our official statistics. This will apply to the releases listed here.

https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/statistical-work-areas/critical-care-capacity/

All I can tell you, with certainty, is that when my mom was in the hospital, all the critical care beds were maxed out (this would include the reassigned G&A beds), and COVID-19 patients were still coming in. This meant that people with the coronavirus had to be put wherever they could find a space. My mom ended up on a renal ward which had many bays. All of them were taken up with COVID-19 patients, and this wasn’t the only part of the hospital that had been reassigned. It was dismal. A lot of the people in my mom’s bay ended up going to the ICU. I know for a fact that the strain to shuffle people around, so that they could find/create a critical bed, was immense.

I have no way of saying what the situation was nationwide, but we know from the testimony of doctors and nurses around the country that it was bad in many areas.

The graph you showed does not display this, but it does show the drop in G&A beds needed to create critical care beds. This alone compared to the last ten years’ worth of data is enough of an anomaly to suggest that something wasn’t right last year. Unfortunately, this was posted on Twitter for shock-and-awe value, and it worked, as most people aren’t going to investigate any further.

30. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      There's lines outside for buying things from stores. That might be okay in California or Florida but in cold places like Canada, is it beneficial for people to be waiting in sub zero temps?!? Isn't it insane?

But, for our new world, colds and flus have disappeared!!!! COVID-19 has eliminated them!

Clown World!!!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1