[Danny Boy Memorial Fund] The Vote to Choose Our Preferred Research Beneficiary

Discussion in 'Awareness & Fundraising' started by Ed209, Jan 4, 2019.

1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Hi everyone, just a quick update to let you all know that voting will end on January 18th at midnight (UK time).

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      After having another careful think about it I am going to change my vote to number three.

3. Samantha R

Samantha R Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm happy to let the majority decide.
      All three are worthy in my opinion.

4. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      I really cannot decide on one, so I'm just gonna let all the other voters decide.

5. lymebite
      Vegged out

lymebite Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Ed209 - I think this is a terrific way to approach directing the proceeds of Danny's fundraiser. Thank you so much again for your excellent leadership in organizing it. While of course the amount is somewhat modest, I think perhaps the greatest value of the grant may be less gaining the specific research described in the proposal, and more so the establishment a long term, productive relationship between Tinnitus Talk and the researcher who is selected.

With that in mind, any sense which of these three might be most likely to prove the best partner along lines such as the following?

- likely to focus on tinnitus for their entire career, not move primarily into other areas of research
      - will to stay in touch with Tinnitus Talk after the research related to Danny's grant is complete
      - will value survey data, etc. that Tinnitus Talk collects and analyzes in the future
      - will help provide an added support to Tinnitus Talk as a strong "voice of the patient" in the research community

In summary, which would most view Danny's grant as establishing a long term, mutually beneficial relationship with Tinnitus Talk, not just a transactional event to fulfill the work described it the proposal?

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Hi lymebite, I have to give credit to @TuxedoCat and @David because they have contributed a lot. It’s also fair to say that @Markku and @Hazel are like machines that never stop working for the cause, and they too have made their mark on this.

You raise a good point and it is something that has crossed my mind. Obviously, this is all dependent upon how the candidate(s) want to approach this, but I’m sure the question regarding their future interests in tinnitus research could be asked at some stage, and whether they want a working relationship with Tinnitus Talk. The onus is on them, and I don’t think we should put any pressure on them to commit to anything. It’s my belief that real relationships are formed by networking alone, and if they didn’t know who Tinnitus Talk/Tinnitus Hub were before applying for this grant, well they do now. Good things can happen organically which is why it’s so important that people get involved and help create ripples in this field. Small ideas that are executed can lead to bigger things without a doubt.

Would you like to vote?

• Like Like x 5
    7. lymebite
      Vegged out

lymebite Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I will go with #3 - Koops.

• Like Like x 3
    8. Deamon22

Deamon22 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      I vote for Number 1. Thanks to everyone involved:) @Ed209 sent you my donation name by PM.

• Like Like x 3
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Today is the last day of voting, so if you’d like to make a vote, you need to do it before midnight tonight (UK time).

10. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      I just made it!

Kudos for getting this over the line, I know it's not been plain sailing.

It's a really difficult choice because I can see merit in all 3 of the applications. #1 maybe does not have enough information on what the actual project is, although it does interest me a lot and feels the most novel. #2 is good research that will do a lot for understanding, I personally want to see it conducted but I don't know if it's curative enough for the fund. #3 is building on some existing research findings rather than being novel, but it does have real potential.

They all deserve support, so it feels unfair to single out someone. On balance I go with the Neuroscience application #3 Koops

• Like Like x 3
    11. kelpiemsp
      Swamped

kelpiemsp Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      birth/ recent spike 2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Born with ETD, several acoustic traumas, most recently ETD
      I’m so happy this came to fruition. @Danny Boy has really paid it forward. And this community has changed the course of research. This is really great @Ed209.

• Like Like x 6
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      There’s just shy of 3 hours to get your vote in if you’re planning on doing so.

:thankyousign:

13. jimH
      Caffeine

jimH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      30 years+
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Only Candidates #1 & 2 included "Objective Measures of Tinnitus" in section #5. "Does the Project Meet Any of the Following Funding Categories?"
      Candidate #3 did not.

I could be wrong but I think that it may be important.

Additionally, I believe this statement from candidate #2 is sound from a logic standpoint and a good overall guiding strategy. That's why I voted for #2.

"One of the striking gaps in tinnitus research is the lack of a biological measure. This hinders progress toward a cure. However, we cannot think about a cure without first understanding how tinnitus occurs and what factors worsen it."

I sent the name that I donated under to @Ed209 in a pm.

• Like Like x 3
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      The deadline has now passed so I can officially reveal the results:

Elouise Koops: 10
      Robin Guillard: 8
      Asma Elarbed: 2

Votes were as follows:

Elouise Koops:

Agrajag
      Markku
      Hazel
      Zeneth
      Kelvin
      IreneO
      Derpytia
      TuxedoCat
      Lymebite
      Steve

Robin Guillard:

MichaelO
      GregCA
      MBH
      DebInAustralia
      OnceUponATime
      Deamon22
      Ed209
      Starthrower

Asma Ali K. Elarbed:

Glynis
      JimH

And so, the winner by two votes was Elouise Koops. I’d like to say congratulations to her and I sincerely hope her research leads to great things. For me personally, I found it a very hard decision to make as I liked all three. I offer my support and well wishes to the other candidates and thank them for applying, but unfortunately, there can only be one winner.

This now closes the chapter on this project, so I’d like to thank you all for your donations and your participation in everything we have achieved. Danny Boy inspired this to happen and this research is going to be done entirely in his name. RIP Buddy.

• Winner Winner x 9
      • Like Like x 6
    15. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Thank you @Ed209 for making sure Danny Boy will not be forgotten and his memory may be a part of something much much more someday. A beautiful legacy because of Tinnitus Talk.

I hope that Elouise Koops can come here and offer a few words to us.

• Like Like x 6
    16. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      @Hazel is actually attending a TIN-ACT meeting in Germany in the first half of February, and an idea we came up with is that she is going to try and get a few words with Elouise Koops that we can publish here, maybe in the form of a video. Elouise is the Program Manager for TIN-ACT and will obviously also be attending the event.

• Like Like x 7
      • Winner Winner x 1
    17. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      @Hazel you are and have done SO much for our tinnitus community. Thank you for the devotion towards our cause.

@Markku your work is beyond amazing.

I wonder if people understand that Tinnitus Talk is the first ever internet site that has gone beyond what all the support boards have ever done.

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    18. Hazel
      Dreaming

Hazel Director Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one-sided hearing loss (of unknown origin)
      That means a lot, especially from one of our star members like you. It's nice to get recognition :)

• Like Like x 1
    19. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      By the way, were Robin Guillard and Asma Ali K. Elarbed able to receive the financial support necessary for their projects?

• Good Question Good Question x 2