Decibel Therapeutics & Oricula Therapeutics Anti-Ototoxic Applications (ORC-13661 / DB-041)

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Contrast, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Decibel Therapeutics finally announces something!
      ORC-13661/DB-041

These are drugs for preserving hearing during chemotherapy and certain ototoxic medicine, a preventive measure for SNHL in ototoxic environments.

https://decibeltx.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Decibel_Oricula_Press_Release_FINAL_PROOF_en.pdf
      upload_2018-11-7_14-29-41.png

https://www.oricularx.com/products/
      upload_2018-11-7_14-36-49.png
      More info and rumors about what they are working on, obviously this is the oral medication but I'm not sure if both are entering the trial together.

https://xconomy.com/boston/2018/06/...o-bring-multiple-hearing-drugs-to-the-clinic/
      upload_2018-11-7_14-39-0.png

Let's hope they are working on a treatment for cochlear synapse damage in the near future, (that should help both tinnitus and hearing loss) but right now I'm very happy they are challenging the status quo when ENT's say treating the inner ear is impossible.

• Like Like x 8
      • Informative Informative x 3
    2. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      I wonder if this will be just for chemotherapy and antibiotics. I guess it will depend on the side effects. I wouldn't mind taking this concurrently with ADs. It's some cruel joke that we feel locked out of antidepressants.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      I don't think anti depressants are ototoxic, not any of the mainstream ones.

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    4. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      70% of all medications have ototoxicity of varying degrees. ADs aren't anywhere near aminoglycoside antibiotics or cisplatin but still pretty frequent, especially SSRIs.

• Informative Informative x 1
    5. PDodge
      Cowboy

PDodge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bear ate my Cochlea
      I would like to try some ADs but now I'm too afraid.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      show me the source, and we won't count it as ototoxic if it is an extremely rare side effect.

This forum is known for causing paranoia by calling everything ototoxic.

• Agree Agree x 6
    7. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      From ATA
      and the more controversial Neil Bauman

And I can't remember where I got this brochure from.

Attached Files:

8. lymebite
      Vegged out

lymebite Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I agree it is unhelpful to simply label a med "ototoxic" without discussing what kind of effects and if they are rare or common. I think the following guide is helpful to get more useful info on each med.

Pharmacological drugs inducing ototoxicity, vestibular symptoms and tinnitus: a reasoned and updated guide

This guide characterizes the effect of meds by probabilities and four different categories of effect:

a Very common (≥ 10%)
      b Common (≥ 1% e < 10%)
      c Uncommon (≥ 0,1% e <1%)
      d Rare ( ≥ 0,01% e < 0,1%)
      e Very rare (< 0,01%)
      f Unknown, because available data is insufficient

1. Drugs with the explicit indication, by the pharmaceutical company and/or the Health Department, of “potentially otologically harmful”, generally indicated as ototoxicity (ototoxic drugs); ototoxicity is meant as a neurosensorial hearing damage (going from light hearing impairment to deafness) and may include both the possible associated symptomatology of labyrinthical alteration vertigo and the possible generation of tinnitus;

2. Drugs with the explicit indication, by the pharmaceutical company and/or the Health Department, as potentially tinnitus-generating, generally called tinnitus, hissing ear, or acouphene (drugs openly declared as tinnitus generating); a potential tinnitus risk is reported for these drugs and there is no mention of ototoxicity;

3. Drugs with the explicit indication, by the pharmaceutical company and/or the Health Department, as potentially vertigo-generating drugs, generally called vertigo or dizziness (drugs openly declared as vertigo generating). Information of potential vertigo associated with the drug is reported while there is no mention of ototoxicity;

4. Drugs with possible audiologic effects, indicated as “hearing disturbances” (drugs with aspecific otologic side effects), it is advisable to have a conservative approach to these drugs and to evaluate in each case the possible intensity and type of adverse reaction.

http://www.europeanreview.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/956.pdf

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    9. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @lymebite Have you any websites that list the percentages? I remember seeing at least one in the past. Bauman's ebook has some side effect report percentages but only for some medications and it would be nice to find another source for that.

The AD my doctor prescribed is 1-3%. Personally would feel a lot better about taking medicines if I knew the exact break down. Mostly just find sites like these: https://www.rxlist.com/wellbutrin-side-effects-drug-center.htm#overview

10. lymebite
      Vegged out

lymebite Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      The guide I posted includes percentages when percentage data is available. If you open the PDF you can search on meds of interest.

To take an example, Ciprofloxacin is categorized as 2d, 3c, and 4d. Use the key to the numbers and letters as I posted above (and is included in the PDF) to know what it means in terms of percentages. For example, 2d means it is tinnitus-generating in rare cases (≥ 0.01% e < 0.1%).

Pharmacological drugs inducing ototoxicity, vestibular symptoms and tinnitus: a reasoned and updated guide

http://www.europeanreview.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/956.pdf

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    11. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Can we even count Bauman as a credible source? He is not a medical doctor and his claims are based on anecdotal information that fails to consider any other circumstances that may have either affected a drug’s use or have been the actual tinnitus cause.

• Good Question Good Question x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    12. The Frenchie
      Insomnious

The Frenchie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2013, worsened 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Maybe ETD
      @lymebite
      Thanks a lot. I was actually wondering if my Concerta (36 mg daily) was bad for my tinnitus.

Seems like it's not:

Central nervous system stimulants and drugs used for attention deficit disorders and hyperactivity.

• Atomoxetine . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3
      Metilphenidate hydrochloride . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3
      • Modafinil . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3

Metilphenidate = Concerta and Ritalin.

• Like Like x 1
    13. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      In his ebook he does give a lot of anecdotes but he gives a lot of statistical information too. There is an extensive amount citations for the book but I am not going to go through all of those.

14. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      I wonder how many $'s he makes off his e-books? Reminds me of Tinnitus Miracle.

• Agree Agree x 3
    15. Samir
      Obedient

Samir Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      I was wondering why no one was reporting on this news piece. It may not be as remarkable as the Frequency Therapeutics trial for hearing restoration. But you have to start somewhere, and starting with hearing protection seems fitting for Decibel Therapeutics.

• Agree Agree x 2
    16. jer

jer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      When are they saying that this medication is coming to the market?

• Good Question Good Question x 1