Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS) for Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Research News' started by dan, Feb 18, 2014.

1. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      If efficacious, this therapy won't be available for many years. Currently, a DBS pilot study for tinnitus is recruiting members. See this link.

The estimated completion date is March, 2019. If anyone is seriously considering this treatment for intractable, intrusive tinnitus, I'd contact the researchers at the link above.

2. shenandoah

shenandoah Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I live in Southern California and I believe I meet all of the "inclusion" criteria. I submitted an email with the caveat that I don't live in the Bay Area but would be willing to travel every so often to be able to participate. I don't know if they would need me present daily or just occasionally-I'll just have to wait and see what they say.

• Like Like x 2
    3. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well, let us know.:)

It is invasive; you are brave. But I believe DBS will work better than Microtransponder. This is because DBS gets to the heart of the aberrant signal and shuts it down. And, luckily, they've been doing this therapy on people with Parkinson's so the technique is not that experimental.

I found this from the NINDS site pertaining to DBS for Parkinson's:

Unlike previous surgeries for PD [Parkinson's Disease], DBS involves minimal permanent surgical changes to the brain. Instead, the procedure uses electrical stimulation to regulate electrical signals in neural circuits to and from identified areas in the brain to improve PD symptoms. Thus, if DBS causes unwanted side effects or newer, more promising treatments develop in the future, the implantable pulse generator can be removed, and the DBS procedure can be halted. Also, stimulation from the IPG is easily adjustable—without further surgery—if the person’s condition changes. Some people describe the pulse generator adjustments as "programming."

4. Zimichael

Zimichael Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      (1956) > 1980 > 2006 > 2012 > (2015)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ac. Trauma & Ac.Trauma + Meds.
      Anyone signing up for this???????????

After six months of being on this site I just discovered Clinical Trials section of the Knowledge Base...Geez Louise, maybe I am getting slow on the uptake, but there is so much here on this site that I have a hard time keeping up with a fraction of what's coming in daily, let alone catching up on the long, detailed and fascinating sequences in the Treatments; Alternative Treatments; Research; etc. sections.

Not much with anything to do with T gets by this site, so after looking at this...
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...ion-dbs-in-area-lc-for-chronic-tinnitus.4970/
      ...and the trial's website, I did a TT search which turned up this thread.

Though potentially within distance, I'm "out" as I have severe Hyperacusis and that's a no-no for their screening. However, I would seriously consider it if I could get in, as those reports of: "Hey my tinnitus is gone, what did you guys do?!" when this was first 'discovered' were sure appealing. It was an unrelated finding c/o DBS for Parkinson's or something I believe. (I read about it quite a while back, so may have that wrong).

Anyway, if anyone in the Bay Area is considering this I would appreciate hearing from you and maybe offering an "ear" (sic), support, or to follow along vicariously. Whatever...

Thanks, Zimichael

5. Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      I have met Dr. Steven Cheung who leads this study. A brilliant man.
      Although intrusive, this research to me is the most hopeful to date.
      Taking into account that the basal ganglia of the brain acts as a gating system for t. And has already worked on several Parkinsons patients to completely suppress their t.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Snake Plissken
      Crappy

Snake Plissken Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/13
      Is that so? I'm not doubting, but do you have a source for that, because that is incredibly exciting.

If true, this is the only treatment we know of with the potential to totally silence T, right? Pity we're looking at like 5 years before we even have the results of a phase 1 trial. So overall we're probably looking at at least 10 years wait or something.

7. Zimichael

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Lisa...are you going to go for it??? Your profile does not say where you are so don't know if you are in range, etc.

Best, Zimichael

8. Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      @Snake Plissken
      See page 1 of this thread for source on t suppression.
      Also, maybe phase 1 results come back sooner. Maybe the 5 year span indicates the total study (all phases)?
      @Zimichael
      I do live part time in the Bay Area not far from UCSF, but have only had t for 6 months. Chronic t for at least 1 year is part of the criteria.

9. Snake Plissken
      Crappy

Snake Plissken Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/13
      I only see a source for 1 patient having been helped? Not that that's not exciting, but couldn't it be a fluke?

10. Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Ah right. A group affiliated with UCSF talked about several patients undergoing this treatment. There was also a short clip about this with Dr. Steven Cheung talking about it. Trying to locate it. Best bet is to google/youtube it.

11. Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      p.s. I learned of the info on the Parkinsons patients with t through a presentation given at the Hearing and Speech Center, San Francisco.

• Informative Informative x 1
    12. Zimichael

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hey thanks Lisa, would be great to get more inside skivvy on this and it seems you have had some direct contact, etc.

Well, I'm glad you fall out of the criteria (T < 6 months) as you should hopefully be like the vast majority of "T getters" that adapt and begin to ignore it within a year or so. I managed that very effectively twice. Much harder with the hyperacusis later, but kind of got a long way in 6 years. Now with 4th. jump up I need...Ahhhhh, some "magic" c/o something like this DBS...if it works.

With the hyperacusis kicking me out of this one I guess I have to keep waiting for Gandalf in a white lab coat elsewhere, while I muddle along. At this rate though my cure may c/o "The Reaper" - unless the afterlife is really, really screwed and "the hosts" are singing 24/7 in a single screeching tone of E flat!!!

Best, Zimichael

13. HighDesertSage

HighDesertSage Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      A friend had DBS apparatus implanted for Parkinson's disease. He had the instrumentation put in his brain and then taken out months later because of infection in the brain. Months of IV antibiotics followed. Then a second brain surgery that also became infected was followed by months of IV antibiotics. This was very tough on the elderly gentleman, as you can imagine. Luckily and somewhat mysteriously, after all the antibiotics were finished, his hands completely stopped shaking even without any DBS instrumentation in his brain. He's still doing very well. I worked for years as an infection control professional in a large medical center, and patients with DBS instrumentation seemed to be prone to infections. A lot depends on the skill of the surgeon and the attention to infection control in the OR procedure room. An infection of the brain is so significant, I'd be hesitant to have this procedure unless I knew the infection track record of the neurosurgeon and hospital. This information is available to consumers for most major medical centers. If not online, you could always contact their infection control department.

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. Zimichael

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @HighDesertSage ...Hey thanks for this info. Very sobering (even though I am not eligible for this trial).

Makes me wonder if your friend had Lyme?! I know of 'assumed illnesses' in people that strangely disappeared after courses of antibiotics targeting something else.
      I have a supposition that "stealth infections" (whether bacterial, fungal, viral, spirochetal - if that's a word!, parasitic, etc., etc.) are the hidden player behind a number of more "assumed diagnoses".

Thanks again, Zimichael

15. daedalus

daedalus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2007
      My tinnitus doctor, who happened to be a neurosurgeon, did some experiments with DBS for tinnitus years ago. Some of his patients got a t suppression which lasted only a year. I think he has ceased to do DBS for tinnitus.

What he is still doing, with various degrees of success, is cortical stimulation. Instead of putting a thin electrode in the brain he sews an electrode on the brain. On the dura mater so the brain itself is not cut open. An interesting point is that sometimes when he succeeded in relieving the tinnitus he also partially relieved hyperacusis. Sometimes not and he doesn't know why.

Amongst the people he screened at his clinic, he operated on about 2%. Half the surgeries were considered successes. Apart form the brain not being cut, it is the same routine with the wires, the batteries and the stimulators.

16. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Can we look this up? Are there published articles on the procedure? I like to keep up with the research. I know your physician is not DeRidder, since he relocated.

Any information will be useful. And thanks for posting! :)

17. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I had some contact with the people doing this research and they implied that even if I wasn't in the area, they might be able to pay some/all associated travel costs.

Note, though -- this is a phase I trial. That means they really have no idea if it will work, or not. This procedure is used in other conditions, so there are a number of people out there walking around with these implants. But, this is experimental brain surgery, and is extremely risky for any number of reasons.
      It could be a fluke, for sure. This study being done now will only include 10 people, so unless they get really lucky, the main thing they'll learn is probably how safe this is and maybe a little something about how well it works.

There are big risks with these procedures. It's not hard to find reports of people being permanently damaged or having their personalities permanently altered as a result of brain implants. Any surgery into the skull cavity carries a significant risk of terrifying infections and dismemberment.

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. daedalus

daedalus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2007
      My physician was De Ridder. :) I have no more tinnitus physician now.

Here is a recent paper about his experiments: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25129400

He still publishes about tinnitus from time to time. Just pubmed "dirk de ridder".

• Like Like x 2
    19. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
    20. Codaz

Codaz Member

@Zimichael @dan @Champ

If anyone is interested, this is a Dutch documentary about deep brain stimulation which is also used for Parkinson's disease. Most of the time this programme shows heart surgeries or internal surgeries.
      Because I'm afraid of blood and surgeries I don't have the guts to watch it, but maybe you do.

If you experience geo blocking (because of excluding viewers from outside of the Netherlands) use the Hola plugin for Chrome.

http://www.npo.nl/operatie-live/26-11-2014/POW_00945741

21. Zimichael

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Codaz... Hey thanks for the thought! Unfortunately my memory of some Afrikaans (went to university in South Africa for 4 years) did not help much with this! All in Dutch, though I got the gist of it. Skipped around though and did not see much blood except on a glove. Not sure though if the guy left with electrodes sticking out of his head or not as gave up after a while. Impressive though how this stuff 'works' and the surgeons who figured it out and do it.

Best, Zimichael

22. Codaz

Codaz Member

@Zimichael Thanks for the explanation! You can turn subtitles on. But it just is there to have the gist from it.
      Thing is, are in some ways the electrodes the same as when you have TENS / TDCS ??

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      dan
      Chatty

dan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
    24. Christian78
      Alone

Christian78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (Sep 2013)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      progressive tinnitus, time of expiring in next 3-6 months
      I wrote this same this many times. It will be implant. Chemo medicine is too slow and to bluch, implant can point only one thing precice

25. Moha94

Moha94 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      Do You Think This Will Be The Final Treatment For Tinnitus ?

26. Christian78
      Alone

Christian78 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      (Sep 2013)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      progressive tinnitus, time of expiring in next 3-6 months

if they develop simpler solution that is going to be way. EU and USA and world is broke. no one want to cure people but let them die, there are new people. we sick are discarded. only rich can get help.

this is new world order

27. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
    28. MarioT
      No Mood

MarioT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress + SSRI medication
      I believe that if there will ever be a solution to this misery then it will come in the form of deep brain stimulation.
      It is the only plausible and respectable approach out there at the moment.

• Agree Agree x 1
    29. Codaz

Codaz Member

Mario, how about the brain drugs that there are some developments on. What is your opinion on those and how do you compare them to DBS as you see it as promising.

30. monacco

monacco Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      anknown
      Agree. If your car breaks down you have to open the hood to fix it.