Dental Hygienist — Is It Safe to Do Cleaning?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Shaullazar, Nov 23, 2015.

tinnitus forum
    1. I have an appointment with my hygienist scheduled for next week,
      Usually a session of cleaning the teeth takes up to an hour.
      The hygienist using all sort of tools that are noisy,
      My question is it safe to go using ear plugs ?
      Thanks in advance :)

2. glynis-harbron
      Feminine

glynis-harbron Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Yes you should be fine.
      If you get a little spike it should be short lived and settle soon.
      Good luck....lots of love glynis

3. Thank you Glynis :)

4. Tweaker
      Sad

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Be cautious. I went to dentist yesterday. Had an hour appointment. In the evening my T spiked very badly. It has stayed like it all day today. I hope it settles down soon. I believe it was the ultrasonic descaler the dentists use. The high frequencies go right through my ears and it sets off the high frequncy noises. I asked the dentist to resort to the old fashioned manual descaling. It hurts a bit but no noise. Next time I go I will avoid the ultrasonic descaler altogether. The noise wont damage your ears but it certainly makes mine react and seems to disturb my inner ear hair cells. Kinda sends them into a frenzy. Some folk may not be affected at all. You may be fine but I would ask them to minimise the length of time with the ultrasonic. Now I can't sleep. It's torturous. Hope it goes down a bit. My usual T is bad enough.

5. Tweaker
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      And regarding earplugs, they will likely intensify the sounds you hear as the noise is being generated inside your mouth. I think better without. A simple test you can do: try scratching your tooth. How loud is the scratching sound? Then put earplugs in and scratch the same tooth. You will still hear the scratching sound, likely even more loudly.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Genius Genius x 1
    6. Hey tweaker thanks for the update, did you used ear plugs ?
      I hope it will settle down soon

7. Tweaker
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      No, I figured it would only intensify the sounds of the instruments in my mouth, like when your ears are blocked you hear your own voice a lot louder. Try my little experiment an dlet me know what you think.

8. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      I agree, do not wear plugs, way louder.

9. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      Do not wear ear plugs. Dental work sounds are transmitted by your teeth directly to your skull, which has the cochlea embedded in. They won't do anything.

10. Karl28
      Wishful

Karl28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2001 bad since 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music via headphones
      You could wear earmuffs instead

11. Thanks guys,
      I asked if she can clean them using manual descaling, she said sure no problem
      And tweaker I tried what you told me and you absolutely right

12. Blujay

Blujay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1900
      Headphones do help protect from exterior sound, and also allow some of the bone-conducted sound to escape into the ear cup, instead of being trapped in by ear plugs. But it's best to avoid the power tools altogether.

If you should, heaven forbid, need any drilling after the cleaning, many with tinnitus go to a dentist who uses Waterlase laser. It's a miracle lifesaver. The machine makes a ticking sound, but unlike a drill, there is no noise, no vibration, nothing to conduct into the bone--you don't feel a thing. A drill is used only after the laser work is all done, for a very minor touch up of the filled surface. Also, no anesthetic is needed, and it's so exacting that it removes much less material from the tooth than a drill does. It's so quiet and painless, you have to look in the mirror to be convinced that some work was actually done.

• Like Like x 1
    13. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      barotrauma from airplane descent, noise exposure? ETD? TMJD?
      I had my teeth cleaned yesterday and now my left ear noise is very loud and disturbing. Could be related to a tooth that needs a crown and possible tooth nerve root irritation. I needed that tooth worked on in June according to the dentist, but I thought the dentist was getting a little carried away with all the dental work I had already done including a implant so I delayed it. That side of my mouth has some TMJ problems too, so I am confused. No pain, just some crunchiness from crepitus in that joint.

Edit: Just called dental office and the person I talked to said that my increased noise was more likely from TMJ irritation than upper left tooth nerves. She had never heard of tinnitus before though so I may need to speak directly to the dentist.

14. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      Have you recovered from the spike ? I believe I made a stupid mistake today...I went to a dentist, prepared for a drilling, but no drilling was needed. He offered cleaning, with a tool - this kind of ''sand spray '' tool - I don't know if that's ultrasonic ? I guess cause it was pretty loud.. Since I had no drilling and it seemed to me that cleaning is less noisy than drilling, I agreed and he only did the small teeth in front, with some very short breaks..Still, I believe I get a spike now..my whole head is buzzing. My t is pretty reactive to plenty of things, but do you think this tool can cause hearing damage ? :arghh: It only lasted a few minutes altogether.. I feel doomed. No matter how long I prepare for sth, how I take precautions ( I talked a long time to the dentist before we did anything, he knew about T - should I be angry with him now that he even offered such cleaning ? and with myself ? ) I'd like to hear from people who went through this kind of cleaning and what it did to them..Thanks.

15. Hey @Gosia
      Yes plenty of ppl with T still doing cleaning like you did and not for 5 minutes for 60 minutes.
      And yes some of them do get a temporary spike,
      Next time you going make sure you asking for manual descaling only, it means that the hygienist will use only regular tools that not making any noise.
      As for drilling you need to find a doctor that using waterlase laser.
      Try to relex your mind and the spike will go soon I'm sure.
      be positive it was only 5 minutes.

• Like Like x 1
    16. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      If some do it for 60 minutes they had better stop :nailbiting: There are people who get T started by this bloody tool, so it can definitely damage the hearing. Pity I didn't read about it before I let him use it on me. I knew I wouldn't let any long action to be done, but now I'm regretting even those 5 minutes...:banghead: hope this settles, especially that my T was capricious of late for no reason I could detect and now the cherry on the cake..definitely last time I did that before they invent sth more silent ..

• Hug Hug x 1
    17. It's hard to live your life scared from any noise that might come up I know,
      But that's life, life are noisy and we can't avoid it.
      We can try to avoid the things we do know are noisy. That's it.
      So don't blame yourself

18. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      @Gosia, I am sorry you are worrying about your spike. But my guess is it will settle down very soon. I have had many cleanings and even serious dental work since I developed tinnitus three years ago. Never any permanent increase in noise.

Also, the thing to wear for dental work is noise canceling headphones, not ear plugs, as others have pointed out on this thread.

Here is another, really long thread about dental work and precautions. Also some recommendations from the American Tinnitus Association re. dental work.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...estions-and-experiences.826/page-2#post-30473

19. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      Of course, and I myself tell that to a lot of people..Only here it was preventable - I should have said 'just leave these coffee stains alone ' and leave happy that no drilling was needed. I knew it would be noisy, but I assumed a few mins would be ok. I'm prone to spikes so I hope it's a temporary one too, however one never knows until it settles ..and I read some horrifying testimonies :(
      @Lady Di, thank you for answering. Yep, I went thru this thread today and felt even more like a silly goose cause most people say they refused the ultrasonic and did the manual or nothing. I believe it was you who included two links ? But they don't lead to anything today. As for plugging, I definitely don't cause the occlusion effect would kills the ears. I don't have H so I don't need earmuffs..and anyway , I think it's better not to cover the ears at all at the dentist cause this way even more noise reaches the inner ear :grumpy: so I didn't ..
      Was your cleaning complete? I mean - each tooth ? How long did it last ?

20. bill 112
      Studious

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Don't blame yourself because at the end of the day we don't think something will make it worse until it does.Its like looking at a movie,seems harmless enough only for an explosion to go off loudly half way through and spike your T.Do you blame yourself for wanting to watch a movie?No of course not,you regret it after because of what happened but there was no way to predict this would happen,it just did.

As Alan Prost once said"You can't regret something later that seemed right at the time"and that's true for every T sufferer on this planet.If you go for a run and a truck blows its horn really loudly at you do you blame yourself?Again of course not because a run seemed harmless and right at the time and there's no way you can predict such an eventuality would happen.I've gone to the dentist numerous times and had drilling done with no effect on my T,but if my T got worse from it I would be saying"why did I go,I'm so stupid,what was I thinking"but like I said these things can't always be predicted.

• Like Like x 1
    21. bill 112
      Studious

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Also remember that T is a stealthy beast,you can go to the same restaurant 1000 times with no problems but then on the 1001 time you go your T increases for no reason.T is an unpredictable monster and the less you try to predict it the better you'll feel.